Does Wizard need to be fixed?

Wizard
So I started playing again this season after a long time of not playing. I've gotten a Wizard to 70 before and was starting a new one to see if they'd changed at all. Seems nuts that after a year or two, the poor-performing abilities are still poor-performing, and there are really only a couple deviations you can make to still be effective. For being a game that totes the ability to play what you want and still be effective, I feel like Wizard is lacking in build variety.

It seems crazy how you can play Diablo I or II, get hit by a Charged Bolt and half your health goes down, then you pop in D3 and use Shock Pulse and your enemies glance around quizzically as though they weren't quite sure if they just felt a gentle breeze pass by. Why so many underwhelming abilities?

Magic Missile, Electrocute, Spectral Blade, Energy Twister, and Arcane Orb seem to all need buffing in some way or another. Arcane Orb -completely- loses viability as soon as you get Arcane Torrent, and once you get the Astral Presence passive with Disintegrate, all AP generating abilities feel practically useless. Playing Wizard literally becomes "buff yourself with three 10-min spells, right click and watch health bars go down".

If I'm alone in this please educate me, but the signature spells feel like they really should do more damage. They look awesome, but they don't feel awesome. Granted, I play with friends on my Wizard so I don't have to jump around as often, but even then I keep finding myself 30 yards away, holding down Disintegrate for an hour. I've tried switching it my build up frequently, but it just seems like if you're not using a channeled ability, you're not playing the class right. Am I alone in wanting some variety?
All of these are higher GR builds.

Meteors channeling (2 versions)
DMO Frozen orb
DMO twister
Manald lightning Vyr/Tal
Vyr Archon
06/18/2018 10:41 AMPosted by storytime42
All of these are higher GR builds.

Meteors channeling (2 versions)
DMO Frozen orb
DMO twister
Manald lightning Vyr/Tal
Vyr Archon

I appreciate the builds but my question is directed more toward the spells themselves. Only one of those five builds utilizes a signature spell, and only one utilizes Energy Twister or Arcane Orb. No one even reccommends Magic Missile, Electrocute, or Spectral Blade. Heck, I'll even throw in Diamond Skin and Energy Armor.

If everyone's ok with those spells just being useless or made obsolete by stronger spells, fine, but I just feel like if a spell is in the game it should be viable in some way.
Every class has skills that go unused because other skills out perform. Fact of the game. But you were talking about lack of build variety, and clearly there is variety.
Ah, so it's just accepted that some spells are terrible. Gotcha. Thanks for shining some light on that.
06/18/2018 02:45 PMPosted by Asinity
Ah, so it's just accepted that some spells are terrible. Gotcha. Thanks for shining some light on that.

More accurately,

It's just accepted that done skills go unsupported by gear. Or the support is greatly under what other skills get.
06/18/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Asinity
I appreciate the builds but my question is directed more toward the spells themselves. Only one of those five builds utilizes a signature spell, and only one utilizes Energy Twister or Arcane Orb.

DMO Frozen Orb, DMO Arcane Orbit, and DMO Obliterate builds all use Signature spells and all use different Arcane Orb runes to great effect.

TR Explosive Blast speed builds use a Signature.

Firebirds Start Pact uses a Signature.

Firebirds EB, DMO EB, and DMO Twister builds all use Energy Twister runes.

No one even reccommends Magic Missile, Electrocute, or Spectral Blade.

MM Conflagrate is used sometimes with Firebirds Starpact. Other variations use Forked Lightning. And that Starpact build is by far our strongest build currently in both solo and group play. Spectral Blade is used in DMO Orbit and sometimes with DMO Obliterate. Spectral Blade can also be used in TR and DMO speed builds with Shame of Delsere + Fragment of Destiny. And there's a fun Firebirds Chain Lightning build that uses Menald Heal. It can push into the 90's or so.

Heck, I'll even throw in Diamond Skin and Energy Armor.

Both are used with Vyr's Deathwish Archon setup. Diamond Skin is also used in TR EB speed builds. Both use the Prism rune.

If everyone's ok with those spells just being useless or made obsolete by stronger spells, fine, but I just feel like if a spell is in the game it should be viable in some way.

There is a toooooooooooon of variety now, especially compared to just a couple of years ago. Whether you're speed running, bounty farming, or pushing the leaderboards, there are a lot of different things you can do when it comes to your skills. There might not be super powerful builds that complete center around, say... Electrocute, or Shock Pulse for example, but there are a lot of builds that use them as a component to the whole.

Give it some time and do some exploring. You said yourself that you've been away from the game for a long time, so a lot has changed. We have a ton of Legendary support now that didn't exist not that long ago, and those items can completely shake things up. And many, many of the Legendary's and Set Items from years ago have been buffed to pretty insane levels.
06/18/2018 01:39 PMPosted by storytime42
Every class has skills that go unused because other skills out perform. Fact of the game. But you were talking about lack of build variety, and clearly there is variety.

I am sure his main point was - buffing under used skills so they become viable.
Arcane orb isnt underpowered at all, it was buffed with two or thre items which make it a nuke by quadrupling it's damage and making it explode twice.

But the rest of wizard spells are very underpowered, wizard has only ever had a few viable builds which blizzard nerf to hell every so often, etched sigil is very nice yet it doesn't "cast" the additional spells for you, they're just illusions which cost AP, you can't proc tal rashas stacks with etched sigil and you have to manually cast everything, firebirds ignite won't proc with etched sigil and again you have to cast everything.

tal rasha builds & firebirds builds need every item to be in the top 90% to even hit gr70, and they need every item to work in synergy, no other class needs 17 items to hit gr70, many witch doctor and monk builds can faceroll gr70+ without a full set of items.

blizzard activisions idea of "every build is viable" is limited to 3/4 builds using the same god damn spells and the same god damn items, there is no variety.

PoE > D3