Trying my hand at Hardcore...

Hardcore
On my first character I made it to Paragon 500 somethin' and beat Grift 70 before I died. Completely my fault. lol

Then I spent a couple of hours leveling up a new character with Cain's set and stuff. My first character had some back up gear but I didn't have a Gem of Ease leveled to make re-leveling easier.

Got the second character up and running and am in process of Gem of Easing a back up UE set so I can cut the time to re-level when I inevitably die to 15 min. or some such. Almost done with that.

Got some back up gems going too so I can jump back into doing 60+ right when I hit seventy with a fresh character when I lose this one.

So at least, I think, I got the hang of what to do when I die. lol

I'm going to try to get P1000+ by the end of the weekend and will definitely be more careful with this character.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, that it's pretty cool to play Hardcore. A little more nerve wracking but it is cool to find gear and not trash stuff haphazardly like I did when I was playing softcore. You get your character reasonably decked out in ancients and you can almost forget everything else you pick up.

Not so with Hardcore. If you're new to Hardcore or at least not completely versed in the differences between Hardcore and Softcore, your back-up pieces need back-ups.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm having a blast and I'll probably be reading these forums regularly for tips and advice.

Thanks for reading.
The one thing you should work on is resist and armor. I played with somebody one day and help him out. His highest resist was about 750. You have to be more like 1200 to 1300 on you lowest resist.

You have to have more of a balance character vs all damage character when playing HC. Yes it is nice to have all the damage you can get. But if you keep dying all the damage will not matter.
06/09/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Idolis
On my first character I made it to Paragon 500 somethin' and beat Grift 70 before I died. Completely my fault. lol

Then I spent a couple of hours leveling up a new character with Cain's set and stuff. My first character had some back up gear but I didn't have a Gem of Ease leveled to make re-leveling easier.

Got the second character up and running and am in process of Gem of Easing a back up UE set so I can cut the time to re-level when I inevitably die to 15 min. or some such. Almost done with that.

Got some back up gems going too so I can jump back into doing 60+ right when I hit seventy with a fresh character when I lose this one.

So at least, I think, I got the hang of what to do when I die. lol

I'm going to try to get P1000+ by the end of the weekend and will definitely be more careful with this character.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, that it's pretty cool to play Hardcore. A little more nerve wracking but it is cool to find gear and not trash stuff haphazardly like I did when I was playing softcore. You get your character reasonably decked out in ancients and you can almost forget everything else you pick up.

Not so with Hardcore. If you're new to Hardcore or at least not completely versed in the differences between Hardcore and Softcore, your back-up pieces need back-ups.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm having a blast and I'll probably be reading these forums regularly for tips and advice.

Thanks for reading.

Just as an FYI, you don't have Awareness set as a passive. That is a quick way to a painful death, especially with UE since it can be a bit squishy.
06/09/2018 11:47 AMPosted by FireVixen
Just as an FYI, you don't have Awareness set as a passive. That is a quick way to a painful death, especially with UE since it can be a bit squishy.

I intend to get Awareness on my bar when I get a better Hellfire Amulet. I was going to run some T10 Keywardens and Ubers when I'm finished getting my gear Gem of Eased.

Then craft Hellfire Amulets until I get either Awareness or one of the ones in my passive slots so I can have Awareness equipped.

Getting there.

Thanks for the tips guys.
06/09/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Idolis
I intend to get Awareness on my bar when I get a better Hellfire Amulet.

Like FireVixen said you really need that. The Awareness will save you many times when you get in trouble. This is Davey. If you ever need help I have a lot of Uber keys. Plus even if you get Awareness on the hellfire doesn't mean it will have good stats.
06/09/2018 02:08 PMPosted by BigRed
Like FireVixen said you really need that. The Awareness will save you many times when you get in trouble. This is Davey. If you ever need help I have a lot of Uber keys. Plus even if you get Awareness on the hellfire doesn't mean it will have good stats.

Yeah, I rethought my hesitance to put Awareness on my bar and have since did that.

I do have a question though...

Should I keep Perfectionist on the Hellfire Amulet and go without Cull the Weak? It seems like I should but I want to make sure.

Perfectionist giving a 10% boost to both Armor and Resistance is a pretty big boost when you go with Diamonds instead of Emeralds and go with All Resist or Armor and a Resistance Secondary. And though the 20% flat boost to damage Cull the Weak is nice I just wonder if it's better to go defensive with Passives when I can.
For now looking at your setup I would leave things that way to you get better and then play around different passive skills. Plus the UE set is OK by my standard is for more crowd control. I like the shadow set for running higher rifts and GR's.
06/09/2018 03:55 PMPosted by BigRed
For now looking at your setup I would leave things that way to you get better and then play around different passive skills. Plus the UE set is OK by my standard is for more crowd control. I like the shadow set for running higher rifts and GR's.

I like the Shadow Set too, but I'm better at using UE. If like say, I'm pushing 80's then I'll probably switch to Shadow Set. I'll be keeping an eye out for Shadow Pieces.

Also, I just found an awesome Ancient Yang's with 197% Multi-shot damage. Perfect for the only Ramagift I got. lol

Now it's just upping one Gem of Ease for my leveling gear and a back-up BotP to 25 and I'll be ready to 60's to up my equipped gems and then on to 70's.

Finally almost where I want to be.
06/09/2018 03:55 PMPosted by BigRed

Same.

Although the nats/marauders set up is fun, too. A little squishy, but fun.
06/09/2018 03:16 PMPosted by Idolis
I do have a question though...

Should I keep Perfectionist on the Hellfire Amulet and go without Cull the Weak? It seems like I should but I want to make sure.

Perfectionist giving a 10% boost to both Armor and Resistance is a pretty big boost when you go with Diamonds instead of Emeralds and go with All Resist or Armor and a Resistance Secondary. And though the 20% flat boost to damage Cull the Weak is nice I just wonder if it's better to go defensive with Passives when I can.

Just my opinion but no, you don't need Perfectionist. The defensive boost is nice, but the 20% damage boost is too good to pass up and better overall. The ability to kill things quickly will help you survive as after all, if the mobs are dead they can't hurt you and you'll be able to clear higher GR's. Go with Cull the Weak and level up an Esoteric gem or other defensive gem instead.

With Vengeance/Dark Heart for 50% damage reduction, Wraps of Clarity and the set bonus, you have more than enough damage reduction to not worry about defensive passives (except Awareness of course).

If all else fails, use your Vault to re-position and get out of danger.
Read the "1 tip for staying alive" at the top of the page.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/7179988576?page=53#post-1041
06/22/2018 01:21 PMPosted by ShogunRob

Don't read any of those tips. They are from years ago and should be unpinned!
06/22/2018 06:45 PMPosted by CerealKiller
06/22/2018 01:21 PMPosted by ShogunRob

Don't read any of those tips. They are from years ago and should be unpinned!

Its 53 pages of advice over six years, up to including this month.
Or go die, whatever.
backup sets, gem of ease. areas of the game only experienced in hardcore :) congrats on embracing the new play style and having a more rewarding and engaging experience.
SoftCore is for practice, HardCore is for playing :-)
07/03/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Jamie
SoftCore is for practice, HardCore is for playing :-)
FYI: This thread was created on June 9. OP's first Seasonal Demon Hunter RIP'ed the day before, on June 8. OP's second Seasonal Demon Hunter (the one he vowed to be "more careful" with) RIP'ed six days later, on June 14. Finally, the OP's only other Hardcore character on his NA profile -- a non-Seasonal Demon Hunter -- was last updated on June 15.

The OP appears to have since returned to "Softcore" mode, where they have a Seasonal Demon Hunter at Paragon level 610, which was last updated on July 2.
I've rip'd 3 times now

Last one was when I went up to the GR exit and got blown up by TP mobs

So I had enough this season and uninstalled