Which Builds for a new (Seasonal) Wizard?

Wizard
So I have been using Icy Veins for builds. And while they are doubtless 'effective' builds there is a lot of overlap in that the presented 'high/top' tier builds for different sets end up using the same core mechanic.

Over the course of playing season 14 I have collected both the Haedrigs Gift set and the other major sets for my Wizard. And I do enjoy different play styles on a character. I don't want to focus only on being a "DMO ArcaneOrb" Wizard for example (my current go-to that I use for everything).

So, given that I play solo a lot and would like to attain a Solo Greater Rift personal best (even if I don't expect to compete for a leaderboard spot), I also like throwing myself into the various public games (Rift, Grift and Bounties)...
how could I best divvy up my sets into 5 Armory slots such that:
* I use as many of the 4 sets as possible (and maybe even a LoN based build).
* My core damage skill should be different on different sets (i.e. if I do a Tal Rasha meteor build I don't do a meteor build with Firebird).
* When the same set is used (5 armoury slots vs 4 sets) both builds should have the same enchanting preferences.

tl;dr - what are the 5 ideal Wizard builds I should have in my Armoury?
I'm lazy so this is what I usually have for each classes:

• Rift - Some form of speed run setup for Normal Rift that include Gold Wrap, Boon of Hoarder and Nemesis
  • GR - set up for party Greater Rift
  • GR solo - use of Unity
  • GR speed - GR Speed Farm setup with Nemesis
  • Bounty - bounty setup
Okay, so let's get this out of the way first: there isn't going to be any one answer.

You'll have to figure out which builds you like best for speed-farming and for pushing, and then we can tailor it to that.

I like to set my armory up so that I have a bounty build (tailored for pure speed + good AoE), a T13 build (incorporates Hoarder + Avarice Band so you don't have to pick up globes, Nemesis bracers for extra DBs), a speed GR build (similar to T13 build except no Hoarder + Avarice, but still has Nemesis bracers for extra progression globes), a push build, and an optional build (for me it's either mid GR build or rainbow farming build). It is possible to have those builds cover all 4 sets if you really wanted.

Couple things to note: bounty builds should always have Aether Walker. Some people like In-Geom builds for bounties, but they aren't really as effective as you lose some time to get an In-Geom proc if it drops off, and sometimes you'll be stuck on a long run with no no elites around. Aether Walker builds are strictly better for those long run bounties.

Also, T13 rift and speed GR builds will either be with Tal's or Vyr's. Delsere's and Firebird's both are kinda crummy for super speed rifts. Needing to drop bubbles for Delsere's really slows it down for super speed rifts. A Tal's Frozen Orb build is definitely faster for T13 than a DMO Frozen Orb build, for example. Firebird's elite burning requirement makes it kinda bad at killing trash in speed runs where you instantly melt any elite you ignite, and the lack of trash killed slows down your rift clears a bit. So a Tal's build will pretty much always be faster than a comparable Firebird's build for T13/speed GRs as well.

So DMO and Firebird are really only good for mid to high GRs because they just aren't fast enough for super speed clears. So that will probably mean you'll end up having a mix of Tal's and Vyr's for T13 and speed GR builds and DMO and Firebird for mid and high GR builds.

If you drop your requirement for all 4 sets being included, say to reduce it to 3, you'll have a bit more flexibility. Some people really don't like Archon builds, so would ignore Vyr's, for example (but personally, I love Vyr's Archon!). Also, it's going to depend on what skills/build types you like to play. Ignoring sets, there's basically three main skills that you see in most common builds: Frozen Orb (versatile, good for just about everything), Meteor (mostly for mid GRs and pushing since you lack a slot for Aether Walker), Archon (versatile, good for everything except bounties). Then there's some fringe skills that are sort of viable, or viable but not as versatile: Explosive Blast, Energy Twister, non-Archon Manald Heal. Pretty much everything else outside of that list doesn't have enough buffs from supporting items to be viable as a main damage skill.

Good bounty builds: Tal's Frozen Orb (w/ Aether Walker)
Good T13/speed GR builds: Tal's Frozen Orb (w/ Aether Walker), Tal's EB (w/ In-Geom), Vyr's Archon (w/ In-Geom)
Good mid GR builds/push builds: Tal's Meteor, Firebird Meteor, DMO Frozen Orb, Vyr's Archon

There are definitely other builds out there, but mixing and matching from this list with these categories for your armory tabs would probably be a good place to start.

So with that out of the way here's an example:

Tab 1: bounty build - Tal's Frozen Orb (Aether Walker)
Tab 2: T13 build - Tal's EB (In-Geom + Wand of Woh)
Tab 3: speed GR build - Vyr's Archon (In-Geom)
Tab 4: mid GR build - DMO Frozen Orb
Tab 5: GR push build - Firebird Meteor

That covers all 4 sets and the only main skill showing up in more than one build is Frozen Orb.

Hope this helps!
That is a bloody excellent analysis. Which of those build slots are ... optimised for Solo vs ... Public play?

Bounties I assume are done at T10 or T13 in public games.
GR Solo pushing is, by definition, a private - solo - game.
Is the T13, speed GR or mid GR intended for public or solo?

I'd like one slot to be dedicated to a 2/3 player GR pushing build as I have some rl friends I play with..
T13 and speed GR builds won't matter for group vs. solo. It'll be the same build either way.

Bounty mats increase on the following difficulties: Normal-Master (3 mats), T1-T6 (6 mats), T7-T9 (8 mats), T10 (10 mats), T11 (12 mats), T12 (14 mats), or T13 (16 mats).

Unless you are still a bit undergeared, I don't think there's much point to T10 bounties. T11 is hardly a jump at all, especially with the power buffs on current items/sets. Anyone doing T10 can probably do T11 just as quickly. I'd either do T11 or T13. The only reason I'd do T10 over T11 is if I'm still pretty undergeared, or there is no one in T11 games. People tend to congregate on T10, I think because they think you only get more mats on T13 and can't handle T13 yet. But it actually steadily increases from T10-T13. And for most people that can't do T13 efficiently yet, I'd argue T11 is probably more efficient (in terms of bounty mats/hour) than T10.

06/26/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Avicenna
I'd like one slot to be dedicated to a 2/3 player GR pushing build as I have some rl friends I play with..

Will they be support characters or is it just more of a casual everyone plays their own DPS build and try to go as high as you can?

If they will be playing support monk/barb/whatever, you'll want Firebird Meteor. If it's just everyone doing their own thing, DMO Frozen Orb will probably be better for you to play. DMO brings more buffs to the group (DR from bubbles mostly).

You could swap the mid GR build to a group GR build. A Mid GR solo build is fairly similar to a push build anyway, it's just optimized a bit for 5-10 min clears for gem levelling compared to pushing, to get those last few levels on your augments.

My solo farming strategy is basically: T13 for keys/pools, then speed GRs (3 min rifts in the GR70-GR80 range) for XP/drops and grinding up a bunch of low level augments. Then once I have a bunch of level 70-80 gems, I'll start running 5-10 min rifts in the GR80-95 to work up my gems those last few levels. That's why I usually have a mid GR build in my armory, because it's a little different than my push build, but it's something I use regularly enough to want an armory slot for it. But it's usually pretty similar to my push build, so if you want to have a slot for a group push build, I'd drop the mid GR build. You'll still need to run bounties, T13 rifts, and super speed GRs, so I'd keep those builds in your armory. If you are farming efficiently, you should be doing more speed GRs than mid GRs. You generally get more XP/hour and drops/hour doing 3 min speed GRs than 7 min mid tier GRs, so the only real reason to do mid level GRs is if you need to bump it up a bit to get some higher gem levels.

So yeah, I'd drop the mid GR build slot for a group GR slot. And it will probably be one of Firebird Meteor or DMO Frozen Orb anyway, depending on whether you are running with supports on not. And just tweaked a bit for a group setting.
We are very casual, so everyone will really be playing a standalone dps build. So I'd want a build that performs 'ok' on its own, but better in a group I'd guess. A little bit top heavy on toughness so it can live - and contribute dps - on higher GRs than it can solo. And AoE and Speed always seem important in a group setting.

The Icy Veins forums on the Meteor builds (Tal & Firebird) seem to point to Tal being the better meteor build up to GR80/90, and Firebird Meteor is more technical with its ignite machanic, but required to go further. I made the FB Meteor build with ~400 paragon with all the necessary legendaries, but no enchants or any attention to item stats and I couldn't use it to clear a T8 rift never mind anything higher than GR60. Perhaps thats to be expected, but there are a number of builds that do start well on low Paragons and can easily take one to a slow but capable T13 experience without any consideration paid to enchanting.

So it looks like I need a noob friendly build to carry me to a GR high enough to switch over to Firebird Meteor, and an idea of what the minimum viable Firebird Meteor is.
I think DMO Frozen Orb is what you are looking for. It's easy to gear for at low levels, does mid and high GRs without too much trouble, can be nicely adapted to a casual group setting. It's a really solid jack-of-all-trades build, and fairly noob friendly in my opinion. At the highest level it can get kinda technical, but any build will be like that.

Like I said it's not the best for speedfarming, so that's where you can work in some Tal's and Vyr's builds into your setup.

06/26/2018 10:13 PMPosted by Avicenna
The Icy Veins forums on the Meteor builds (Tal & Firebird) seem to point to Tal being the better meteor build up to GR80/90, and Firebird Meteor is more technical with its ignite machanic, but required to go further. I made the FB Meteor build with ~400 paragon with all the necessary legendaries, but no enchants or any attention to item stats and I couldn't use it to clear a T8 rift never mind anything higher than GR60. Perhaps thats to be expected, but there are a number of builds that do start well on low Paragons and can easily take one to a slow but capable T13 experience without any consideration paid to enchanting.

Yep. Tal's Meteor definitely is a little simpler to play. And like I said before, Firebird is just awful for farming lower content because of the ignite mechanic. Personally, I can't stand the Firebird Meteor builds. They have the highest solo and group GR potential, which is why I listed them.

Sounds like you are a bit more casual though, so I suspect you'd enjoy Tal's Meteor or DMO Frozen Orb more. They are both a little more friendly to play.
I might end up dumping Vyr from consideration for any actual builds in my Armoury. I just don't like the way one switches to Archon and back. Its abrupt, switched my key binds around (never mind its putting Teleport onto a different key bind to what I normally use) and the beam, while murderously strong, has a shorter range than I keep expecting and its difficult to aim at running targets.

For bounties I'd want something with aether walker. I have no interest in stopping to fight things along the way to get in-geom to cool my teleport faster. Then some kind of AoE thats easy to aim - like meteor or frozen orb (I think?) - so I can deal with the occasional bandit shrine / gelatinous goblin or goblin nest because I hate it when those little @#$(s get away. My DMO Arcane Orbit has been super satisfying in dealing with elite packs and rift guardians but I hate how difficult it is to deal with mobs that don't come to me or just scatter and run.

DMO Arcane Orbit has served me well, I am going to be a bit nostalgic when I convert it to a DMO Frozen Orb instead.

So I think I am going to go with:

Tals Explosive Blast for GR / Private speed farming.
DMO Frozen Orb for Bounties / Public rifts / short term GR Solo progression.
Firebird meteor - for when DMO FO caps its GR Solo progress.
Vyr Im just going to throw away after im done with the set dungeon mastery.
... The Icy Veins forums on the Meteor builds (Tal & Firebird) seem to point to Tal being the better meteor build up to GR80/90, and Firebird Meteor is more technical with its ignite machanic, but required to go further. I made the FB Meteor build with ~400 paragon with all the necessary legendaries, but no enchants or any attention to item stats and I couldn't use it to clear a T8 rift never mind anything higher than GR60. Perhaps thats to be expected, but there are a number of builds that do start well on low Paragons and can easily take one to a slow but capable T13 experience without any consideration paid to enchanting...

I've done a GR103 with Tal meteor, so it depends on your gear, rift, and skill. I'm sure a more skilled player could push higher than I have.
Something else to keep in mind: DMO is not a slow build by any means, and is actually the fastest speed 90-95 build for Wizard at the moment. It is not that new player friendly, but once you get timing and distance down, it's brutally effective.
Well, I got to GR75 my personal best ever. But chat I have at the moment is feeling like it can't go much further. Certainly I see Unstable Anomaly up more often than not.
I don't think Aquila Cuirass is helping you in Arcane Orb build since it's AP hungry build. If you want to continue to use DMO as your set, I would change the following. Cube Triumvirate and hold Orb of Infinite Depth in hand to get the most out of them. Select Frozen for Arcane Orb and put Crown of the Primus in cube. Your Slow Time is your source for both Defense and Offense buff. Cube Unity and put one on your follower and make sure your follower has the token that make him/her immune to death. Select Calamity rune for Teleport. Instead of Esoteric Alteration, use Mutilation Guard since you're using Spectral Blade and be at meelee range. Change Glass Cannon to Prodigy.
If you want to use Tal Rasha set, try the one I'm using.
https://www.d3planner.com/667285020
06/28/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Hakufu
I don't think Aquila Cuirass is helping you in Arcane Orb build since it's AP hungry build.

The Aquilas definitely helps. There is a rhythm this build, that when you're on time like a drummer, you don't need to worry about AP dropping too low.
06/28/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Hakufu
I don't think Aquila Cuirass is helping you in Arcane Orb build since it's AP hungry build. If you want to continue to use DMO as your set, I would change the following. Cube Triumvirate and hold Orb of Infinite Depth in hand to get the most out of them. Select Frozen for Arcane Orb and put Crown of the Primus in cube. Your Slow Time is your source for both Defense and Offense buff. Cube Unity and put one on your follower and make sure your follower has the token that make him/her immune to death. Select Calamity rune for Teleport. Instead of Esoteric Alteration, use Mutilation Guard since you're using Spectral Blade and be at meelee range. Change Glass Cannon to Prodigy.
If you want to use Tal Rasha set, try the one I'm using.
https://www.d3planner.com/667285020

The build I'm using is a faithful copy of the Arcane Orbit build off of Icy Veins. When played 'properly' AP never drops below 90% - Fireblast can be spammed as soon as its up but I do need to be careful to not spam Arcane Orb unnecessiarilly as that can cause AP to dip with a very noticeably and immediate negative impact to my survivability. Spectral Blade is runed to return AP per cast (regardless of hit) - and provides a shield and other buffs and when cast regularly returns enough AP that it doesn't dip. With all the various conditions lined up - recent teleport,90+AP,4stacks of Fireblast, a slow time active etc this build peaks at 99.88% DR - without counting resistance, armor, shields and other specific vs ranged/melee/elite DR sources.

Not that I'm against changing it up - All my followers have their immortality tokens and I have multiple ancient Unity's in my stash and cubed.
Have you tried going Halo of Karini with ashnagarr bracer instead of APD? It should be much more consistent.

With Karini, I'd also recommend Aether Walker with Arcane Attunement Wave of Force or Deathwish with a channel spell over OOID. (Note = if you use Attunement, you should swap to a non-arcane gen)

Bane of Powerful gem is very strong. I'd recommend using it over Stricken during early season.

Definitely change Glass Canon out for Arcane Dynamo.

Most OOID specs are old. They arent so great now that Deathwish is 400% and Karini provides essentially Permanent 80% dmg reduction.

For orb specs with both a required wand and source, you only get one other item from cube for weapon/source. Deathwish is superior to OOID for pushing. Aether Walker is superior to OOID for farming, and ultimately lets DMO clear GR 80 in under 2.5 min.
06/28/2018 10:10 AMPosted by Ryoko
Something else to keep in mind: DMO is not a slow build by any means, and is actually the fastest speed 90-95 build for Wizard at the moment. It is not that new player friendly, but once you get timing and distance down, it's brutally effective.

Was it you who had the top (?) clear with Aether Walker?

I saw a DMO + Aether Walker pretty well up there on the NS boards when I was scoping out the boards for non-meteor clears earlier this week, was pretty stoked about it. I've been playing it that way for a while now, I never liked the OoID funny business. Just doesn't feel right for my playstyle. I think 100 was the highest I took it with Aether Walker, so I was happy to see it's got some more potential than that. Although I think I'll have to start playing it with Black Hole or Ranslor's + Twisters to go higher, really need those pulls.

EDIT: Can't wait for the season to roll over, I got a pretty nice Unstable Scepter: https://i.imgur.com/gmFKWQy.jpg
I don't push in seasons, I just go for 100% seasonal achievements and Guardian. Wish I could just send it over now :(
So far I have Armoury slots for:

* T XIII Public Bounties (Aetherwalker, Boon/Goldwrap, ReaperWraps)
* T XIII Public Rifts (In-Geom, Boon/Goldwrap, Nemesis)
* GR 60 Public GRs (In-Geom, the electrical proc + speed gem, Nemesis)
* GR Solo

Not hugely happy with the In-Geom variant in public Rifts as a dry spell of elites can get me left behind.

Tal's EB is my current base build for the Public games. GR Solo is my DMO Arcane Orbit, but it seems to be capping at GR 80 for me, so perhaps its time to switch to DMO Frozen Orb, or try a Firebird out.
If you want a really nice, easy, lazy "catch all" build for T13 solo and group runs, group bounties, and up to speed 85-90's solo, I'd recommend the following build:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Malakai-1265/hero/101559565

Note than the Ring in the Cube is RoRG.

It's basically a super modified version of Vox's old school "skip to win" Meteor Shower build from waaaaay back in the day when Aether Walker first came out.

I can currently clear 85's just as fast (if not a tad faster) than an Aether Walker Frozen Orb setup on this Seasonal Wizard.

All you really have to do is stack to 4 TR stacks and then hold down Static Discharge and Teleport around with Calamity, maybe hard-casting Meteor Shower every so often. This will keep you stacked to 4 TR, 100% on Endless Walk, and keep your Taeguk stacks at full at all times. I cast cold Black Hole on Elite packs to burst them down with the cold TR Meteor since it's basically on-demand.

As I said, it's super easy and lazy, and really great for those long grinding sessions when you don't really want to have to focus too much (watching Netflix or YouTube videos on a second monitor, for example). No positional requirements to max damage output like with FO builds. No anxiety about getting to the next Elite pack like with In-Geom EB setups. Etc. Just hold down SD, and Calamity around to the next pack of mobs and blow them up with Meteor Shower.

All the shielding skills and passives help keep Pride's Fall buff up at all times to maintain resources in order to Teleport like crazy while channeling at all times.

The only downside is that collecting progress globes on T13 runs can be kind of annoying, but you get used to it. But the upside is that you don't have to worry about killing Elites in order to, say, keep In-Geom buff up like with the Flashfire EB build, so it's not near as frantic. And on maps that don't have very many Elites (like those Act 2 Shrouded Moors maps, or Maps with the mob groups from Temple of the Firstborn which don't have many Elites at all) it's actually much faster than Flashfire EB. Again, super lazy and easy is the key here. And once you get enough damage, you can always drop Endless Walk for TR amulet and Avarice Band if collecting progress globes on T13 easily is that important to you.

I was farming T13 solo and doing group t13 bounties efficiently the day I hit 70 and got all the required pieces without any Ancient pieces with this build. It's much easier to gear for than Flashfire EB or Archon since you don't need any CDR, so it's great for starting out, and it still holds up later on once you get better pieces.
06/30/2018 07:36 AMPosted by TinneOnnMuin
Was it you who had the top (?) clear with Aether Walker?

As far as I am aware, yes. It took a bit of fishing though, so don't think that it's that consistent. I can usually clear 110s with minutes to spare though.
07/16/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Malakai
nice, easy, lazy "catch all" build

<Leans back chair> <rolls up sleeves> Ready to laze!

No really, it looks pretty smoothe. I'll have to give it a go sometime. (and pick up that second monitor)