Challenge Rift Build

General Discussion
So, I get that you can learn the challenge rift and probably still manage to beat it faster than the original person if you try super hard but, this week's rift has a unique disadvantage... The build is using gold based gear, for extra speed, and Challenge rifts don't drop gold.... I get that it's supposed to be harder and all, but we're literally working with the build at only 3/4 the potential it actually had when running the rift. Who's idea was this?
The player completed it in time though.

Like I've mentioned in another thread, Challenge Rifts are nothing more than a random snapshot of people with random gear or in the midst of gearing up.

There's nothing challenging about that, it's just Blizz's algorithm for the last 53 CRs.
I find it fascinating how some players get completely thrown off when one or two items are out of place in a relatively mundane build. If it did not impede the original player's time, it should not impeded yours. If mobility is a problem, use Teleport when it is not on cooldown.

This isn't rocket science, people.
06/27/2018 10:18 AMPosted by HelloKitty

We aren't all as hardcore and dedicated as you are Kitty, but your helpful pointers are much appreciated!
06/27/2018 10:24 AMPosted by DonMartin
06/27/2018 10:18 AMPosted by HelloKitty

We aren't all as hardcore and dedicated as you are Kitty, but your helpful pointers are much appreciated!

You don't even need to be dedicated. You only need some basic learning skills, common sense and a bit of patience, if the rift happens to not be a cakewalk. The big problem with CRs is people actually expect them to be free mats without requiring any effort whatsoever. They don't realize the actual quality of the build is completely irrelevant given the fact everyone is given the exact same rift. That's why week after week you see these threads whining about them, either because they're "impossible" (despite the original player having cleared it) or because the build isn't yet another min/maxed meta build melting everything.
06/27/2018 03:58 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
The big problem with CRs is people actually expect them to be free mats without requiring any effort whatsoever. They don't realize the actual quality of the build is completely irrelevant given the fact everyone is given the exact same rift. That's why week after week you see these threads whining about them, either because they're "impossible" (despite the original player having cleared it) or because the build isn't yet another min/maxed meta build melting everything.

+1.
If you goal is "free" mats and you cannot beat the CR in time and have already tried like 2-3 times - better stop right now because running 1 split bounty game on T13 will net you more mats and will take less time than failing another 4-5 attempts on CR.
But if you want to beat it - then why complaining about non-standard build? The player which rift you are running did it first time, if you cannot do the same in his/her time or even better - then you do not deserve these "free" mats. You didn't do the "good job" and there is no participation awards.
I wonder how many other 0ni's there are in the D3verse ? :p

Nothing new here with lame CR builds. Just move thru fast & focus on the elites. The build is not underpowered. You can do it after a few tries & as said above, if you can't, go do some bounties. Don't waste time getting frustrated.
06/27/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Oni
The build is using gold based gear, for extra speed, and Challenge rifts don't drop gold

I’m guessing it’s a snapshot of someone who was rifting and forgot to swap out their gear for a grift. I’ve done dumb things like that which leave me with the choice of wasting a key or seeing if I can complete it with the wrong gear.
Of course it is not optimal to use gold gear in Greater Rifts. But let's be honest: Who has never entered a low-level GR after doing some Rifts? It happens to me all the time.

I don't know much about the wizard, but I did the current CR on my first try with 4 seconds left. It is a typical build that relies on a higher mob density. I don't like such builds, and I probably wouldn't have wasted more than 10 minutes more for a few extra mats.

I see the CR just as a chance to get some extra mats every now and then. If I can't beat the time after 2 tries, I stop in most cases. It's not worth it.
The build is using gold based gear, for extra speed, and Challenge rifts don't drop gold.... I get that it's supposed to be harder and all, but we're literally working with the build at only 3/4 the potential it actually had when running the rift. Who's idea was this?

Challenge rifts are based on greater rifts, not regular rifts.
Gold don't drop in greater rifts.

So the original run did NOT have an advantage over you.
06/27/2018 09:18 PMPosted by Sannyasin
The build is using gold based gear, for extra speed, and Challenge rifts don't drop gold

I’m guessing it’s a snapshot of someone who was rifting and forgot to swap out their gear for a grift. I’ve done dumb things like that which leave me with the choice of wasting a key or seeing if I can complete it with the wrong gear.

This. I've done Grifts and realized I still have my boon of the hoarder. Not gonna quit halfway.
I haven't failed to reap the bounty mats in any CR yet, not gonna let a sub-optimal build stop me this time, or any time.
I thought it was a random rift not a greater rift. Nevermind my ignorance on how the Challenge rifts work.
06/28/2018 01:26 AMPosted by Hebalon
Of course it is not optimal to use gold gear in Greater Rifts. But let's be honest: Who has never entered a low-level GR after doing some Rifts? It happens to me all the time

LOL - I sort of did this the other night but worse...Logged in, said "I'm gonna get that 95 today dammit" and opened one.

Jumped in and was doing what appeared to be zero damage then got obliterated one shot by the first white mob and ...I'm going WTF when I realized that I had logged out with farming gear on...you know, Avarice cubed, Hoarder in a Kymbo's ammy, Nems instead of WoC, no WH, no HFA, no COE, no Ambush (since it's on my HFA)...no damage...no chance.

At least on a low GR I could still clear with that gear, but this turned into insta-restart.
06/27/2018 03:58 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You don't even need to be dedicated. You only need some basic learning skills, common sense and a bit of patience, if the rift happens to not be a cakewalk. The big problem with CRs is people actually expect them to be free mats without requiring any effort whatsoever. They don't realize the actual quality of the build is completely irrelevant given the fact everyone is given the exact same rift. That's why week after week you see these threads whining about them, either because they're "impossible" (despite the original player having cleared it) or because the build isn't yet another min/maxed meta build melting everything.

Given that the challenge is SUPPOSED TO BE blowing away the target time so you can place on the leaderboards - yes, getting the cache would logically be an early and easy process. After all, the leaderboards would be kind of pointless if everyone was clustered within like 10 seconds. There has to be some wiggle room after the target time - yet on some CRs there hasn’t been much.