What are people farming in T-XIII Rifts?

General Discussion
So I joined some public T13 rifts, and I clearly need to work on a faster moving build, but what are people farming in public T13 rifts anyway?
It doesn't seem to be keystones as no one ever shuts down the rift when the guardian is dead. It doesn't seem to be DBs or any other kind of crafting mat as no one even sticks around for the elite packs to finish dying. XP? Surely more doing Greater Rifts. Gold? I thought gold (unlike loot) was visible to everyone, and there's usually tonnes of it laying about.
I don't understand!
All I wanted was some GR stones and everyone goes and gets annoyed with me because I had the temerity to close the rift.
06/28/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Avicenna
It doesn't seem to be keystones as no one ever shuts down the rift when the guardian is dead. It doesn't seem to be DBs or any other kind of crafting mat as no one even sticks around for the elite packs to finish dying.

That only means one thing, and it's called "loothunting". Preferably by scouting double goblins provided by Season Theme in the area.
https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/21839180/season-14-now-live-themed-seasons-6-5-2018
Here, read this. They don't close the rift after RG killed because, there's no guarantee that they won't ever encounter a goblin again after RG is dead.
06/28/2018 03:06 PMPosted by naksiloth

That only means one thing, and it's called "loothunting". Preferably by scouting double goblins provided by Season Theme in the area.
https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/21839180/season-14-now-live-themed-seasons-6-5-2018
Here, read this. They don't close the rift after RG killed because, there's no guarantee that they won't ever encounter a goblin again after RG is dead.

Whats so special about double goblins though? Is there something specific they drop? Once you've cleared several floors of a rift you've literally left behind more loot than a pair of goblins could drop.
Also, more often than not everyone runs straing past shrines without using them either. Maye they're hoping someone else brought Nemesis bracers?
Double goblins is as it sounds: Extra material, gold or other loot from extra goblins that have a chance to appear. In rifts there's no menagerists if I remember right, so they're probably after any other goblins that can spawn in a rift.

As for leaving shrines, I only do that if I don't have nemesis on. Even then if everyone runs by I snag it. No point leaving it.

As to people not closing it, it's probably because they don't care about the RG as they're after goblins, so closing it will make no difference if it's left open until the very end or a fresh one is started.
OP is right, rifts are for keys and db only. You should always close the rift after RG is dead. If they get mad at you you're playing with noobs so either ignore them or find a different game.
Full clears are silly, the odds there are a double goblin after the rg is exactly the same as you starting a new run and finding it before the next rg. Full clears only reduces your loot since you will get less shards, less rg drops, less gr keys.
Most people set their bots up for full clears.
Just get the GR keystones and close.
Some of the more open areas usually have higher elite concentrations. Some like to finish clearing that open area before teleporting back to town, if the RG is already dead.
06/28/2018 05:40 PMPosted by Alexismad
Full clears are silly, the odds there are a double goblin after the rg is exactly the same as you starting a new run and finding it before the next rg. Full clears only reduces your loot since you will get less shards, less rg drops, less gr keys.

In the one game people were rightly mad at me - but without merit - as I closed the Rift in good faith, but as it was counting down they encountered a double inception (gelatinious) goblins. But we had barely finished killing the runners when the rift booted us- piles of mats and DBs everywhere :/
There is no reason to keep going after rg. Unless all you do is clear the level hat you’re on. The odds are there won’t be a goblin. And if there is. The odds are you’ll find more he following rift as well.

There is no hey there will be a goblin on the next level. It’s randomly generated.

So at the end of the day. Finishing all the levels. Or closing after rg will net you the same amount of goblins. Except. Closing a rift will net you more mats in the long run.

People have this thing where they feel like they need to clear a rift completely. Like there is a gold pot at the end of the tunnel. But I’m reality. There isn’t and just becomes super inefficient. And then they complain they can’t keep up with people at the top of the leaderboards
06/28/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Avicenna
everyone goes and gets annoyed with me because I had the temerity to close the rift.

There are like 3-4 maps that have keyword density.
good density.
and are open.

that means...fast legs...fast db's...real fast.
Those maps are valuable time-savers.
Moreso than the 20 seconds op cost of more GR time omg GRs.

People with a brain understand the value in spawning a good map...its super rare in D3. Such as southern, cemetery, oasis, and the other act 2 big map.

These maps are really dense, and have value because of that. They save everyone time by spawning.

Unfortunately, closing the rift early on those specific maps gets priority bc a lot of players don't value the big rare maps...its not rocket science to recall them...or how rare they are to spawn.

closing rift early on like 95 percent of maps is ideal.
closing rift early on southern, cemetery, oasis? That's just not-wise and costs everyone involved their time...because the closer thinks auto-close is a 100 percent rule when its more like 90ish percent.

lol at the ppl who close every single map...with their meta-sader-boon build or w/e....like they're too good for DB's n cube-souls that...you know...everyone needs?

Auto closing rifts is not 100 percent every map and that's just playing optimally.

OP - learn the idk 3 4 5 good maps you don't want to close. I just listed 4 of them.
google them, understand why those maps shouldnt' be closed...agree with the understanding big maps = fast DBs n souls....agree and understand big maps are super rare.

That's why ppl get PO'd.
People who get PO'd because auto-close on some random not-good map? Well that makes no sense.

The epeen of the dfans copypasters that close always even after big gob packs these days.
closing after gob packs is like 2018 diablo epeen. Just happened to me...ofc sader boon dfans exact-copy. Like he was so boss he had to close on everyone...with a google'd build, no primals, meaning anyone could copy his char in an hour.
06/29/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Dmoney
People have this thing where they feel like they need to clear a rift completely. Like there is a gold pot at the end of the tunnel. But I’m reality. There isn’t and just becomes super inefficient. And then they complain they can’t keep up with people at the top of the leaderboards

Yeah, I 'm one of those people who like to kill every mob in an area and fully explore the map in story mode. But continuing in a normal rift after killing the RG really seems pointless to me, since you can open as many normal rifts as you want, and they all have the same chances of goblins and the like.
06/28/2018 03:15 PMPosted by Avicenna
Whats so special about double goblins though? Is there something specific they drop? Once you've cleared several floors of a rift you've literally left behind more loot than a pair of goblins could drop.

Nothing specific, but Neph Rifts are one of the best places to loothunt anyway. If no one is interested in doing high GRs in the same party, shutting them down after getting keys is pointless. Let people hunt for loot or mats instead of shutting them early. People always need keys, but that doesn't mean they wanna team up with 3 random people at varying degrees of powerlevel and waste them.

Unless you have a willing team of 4 people hitting up GRs later, I see no point at closing Rifts earlier. When you have 4 people to hit up GRs, that's surely the point of running Rifts; just get the key and shut it down.
What you fellows didn't get is; people has a thirst for loot and party games are good for it. Shutting it down early may change nothing or ditches your chances of getting a Primal, no one can comment on it yet there's a truth that closing a Rift takes 30 seconds already.
That's the main reason why I solo farm now. I can clear rifts in under 2min and start a new one. There are some maps with really good spawns and good density and those are the NRs that I will continue to farm after RG is dead. Density at least yields gold even if there are few elites. If there are an abundance of elites I'll continue to farm the map as well. But that's pretty uncommon. Most of the time I just close it right after RG. In the end you get the same amount of mats and more keys by doing more rifts.

I'd say if you have the dps to solo in 2min or less you should stick to solo if you're specifically farming keys, unless you prefer the social aspect more than farming.
06/29/2018 09:37 AMPosted by AvengerX
That's the main reason why I solo farm now. I can clear rifts in under 2min and start a new one. There are some maps with really good spawns and good density and those are the NRs that I will continue to farm after RG is dead. Density at least yields gold even if there are few elites. If there are an abundance of elites I'll continue to farm the map as well. But that's pretty uncommon. Most of the time I just close it right after RG. In the end you get the same amount of mats and more keys by doing more rifts.

I'd say if you have the dps to solo in 2min or less you should stick to solo if you're specifically farming keys, unless you prefer the social aspect more than farming.

Solo you can rift how you like and not concern yourself with others game philosophies, which is a +, especially if you are running a class and build that is more or less density dependant to maintain resource, or for Gold Find builds (if you need gold at the time), you dont have to worry about others killing the mobs by sniping potential kills that would help keep your toughness/recovery up.
Doing rifts in this manner is to maximize returns on time played. If you don't need Greater Rift keys most people find it more advantageous to clear the whole rift up until the end. The reason you do this is to avoid the downtime due to the 30 second timer when you close the rift.

ie. clearing t13 rifts in 2-3 min then closing leading to a 30 second downtime, mathematically yielding less materials and legendaries per hour. Clearing to the end leads to less rifts run per hour meaning less downtime per hour because of the 30 second timer on close.

FYI I never run rifts in this manner.
06/29/2018 10:39 AMPosted by Vdizzle
ie. clearing t13 rifts in 2-3 min then closing leading to a 30 second downtime, mathematically yielding less materials and legendaries per hour. Clearing to the end leads to less rifts run per hour meaning less downtime per hour because of the 30 second timer on close.

You aren't taking into account a 50% or more reduction in blood shards by full clearing. To reduce the impact of the 30 second timer, a lot of players with have someone tp, hit close, then hit the banner to rejoin the group. This costs one player 7-8 seconds and the rest of the party 1-2 seconds while the rift finally closes and they open a new one.
They are likely just people playing to play, not really trying to maximize anything.

I use to play with a coworker who nomatter what had to make 100% for certain that his character was a full screen ahead of mine. He didn’t kill anything, i would get to it and every monster would have 75% of their HP remaining. I never understood what his strategy or intentions were.

Its like when you are finishing up a set of split bounties and you join the last person finishing up a “kill all enemies” bounty, and they are just running past everything... like its a race to the next floor or something.
06/29/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Alexismad
You aren't taking into account a 50% or more reduction in blood shards by full clearing.

I don't think killing one RG to clear can get anyone reach their hard cap, unless they never run GRs solo before and running around with standard 500 shards. As I know, you have to finish GR60 solo to join T13 pubs and to unlock Primals you have to finish GR70 solo as well. Any regular runner only spends their shards when going near max limit to mass stack items from Kadala.
Blood shards has a cap, and can be spent in a blink at that 30 seconds closing time anyway even if you hit your max cap. If you mourn about your efficient Shard farming, it's possible that you also considered ditching oncoming loot at the rift and binding all your hopes and dreams at Kadala. There's always the chance of finding a Blood Goblin after killing Guardian, take that into account as well.