What are people farming in T-XIII Rifts?

General Discussion
Some people just want to casually play and clear some things.
Some people just want to use Nemesis on every Shrine.
Some people just want to be as efficient as possible.

When I used to play, I would play casually when soloing or when playing in pub games, but I would go "hardcore" when in organized groups.

I can't tell you how to play, but at the end of the day, you always have the option to leave the game/find a group if you don't feel like you're on the same page. There's hundred more games available for you to join.
06/28/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Avicenna
So I joined some public T13 rifts, and I clearly need to work on a faster moving build, but what are people farming in public T13 rifts anyway?
It doesn't seem to be keystones as no one ever shuts down the rift when the guardian is dead. It doesn't seem to be DBs or any other kind of crafting mat as no one even sticks around for the elite packs to finish dying. XP? Surely more doing Greater Rifts. Gold? I thought gold (unlike loot) was visible to everyone, and there's usually tonnes of it laying about.
I don't understand!
All I wanted was some GR stones and everyone goes and gets annoyed with me because I had the temerity to close the rift.
generally keystones and dbs but goodluck getting those dbs if 3 other people move in different areas super fast.
I mean, what were u expecting.. people to show up to your greater rifts?
06/29/2018 11:07 AMPosted by naksiloth
I don't think killing one RG to clear can get anyone reach their hard cap, unless they never run GRs solo before and running around with standard 500 shards. As I know, you have to finish GR60 solo to join T13 pubs and to unlock Primals you have to finish GR70 solo as well. Any regular runner only spends their shards when going near max limit to mass stack items from Kadala.

Right, but what I was referring to was rg t13 rift clear in 2:30 + 30 second close time is 3 min for 125 shards. Full clear t13 can run you 7 to 9 min plus 30 second close for 125 shards. Both get you 125 shards, but the first method gets you them more than twice as fast, so method 2 gets you <50% of the blood shards of method 1 over time.

06/29/2018 11:07 AMPosted by naksiloth
If you mourn about your efficient Shard farming, it's possible that you also considered ditching oncoming loot at the rift and binding all your hopes and dreams at Kadala. There's always the chance of finding a Blood Goblin after killing Guardian, take that into account as well.

Any loot/goblins found after the RG has the same probability of being found at the start of the next rift. As it pertains to Kadala, she unfortunately is by far and away easier to get items you are looking for compared to random drops in the game, so shards are a big deal.
Right, but what I was referring to was rg t13 rift clear in 2:30 + 30 second close time is 3 min for 125 shards.

If Bloodshards are the real deal for you, you can still speedfarm Greater Rifts solo beyond GR70-80 and get even higher BS rates per run. Nephalem Rifts are for casual loothunting fun in party games, just go with the flow. Nephalem Rifts are not only about one person's key find or shard farm. The deal here is there's a possibility that you're ditching a possible random seed that gave someone the legendary item streak of their life.

06/29/2018 03:47 PMPosted by Alexismad
As it pertains to Kadala, she unfortunately is by far and away easier to get items you are looking for compared to random drops in the game, so shards are a big deal.

Kadala have the same chance of giving you useful items as well. Best approach is a combination of both gambling and looting. If you can convince me that Kadala have higher chances of giving you a useful Primal or Ancient, I'd buy that but that's not the case.

I have no idea what you people have against clearing when people are having fun and it's hard to find a decent team to run GRs with. If you really like Bloodshards, go set up your friendslist or speedfarm Greater Rifts solo. You'll get some new gem levels for augments as well. When keyfarming you can close the entire Rift early as well.
I haven't farmed a TIII rift in years. However, I still farm in TXIII rifts. Wouldn't mind farming a TXIV or even a TXV.
I don't see the big deal people make of this either way. If people want to clear then I'll either join in or take 20 seconds and leave to join another game. Personally I only like to clear when the loot is dropping nicely but I'm not going to get in the way of others if they want to clear.
06/28/2018 05:37 PMPosted by SevenShadow
OP is right, rifts are for keys and db only. You should always close the rift after RG is dead. If they get mad at you you're playing with noobs so either ignore them or find a different game.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Rifts are for db, yet you say closing the right after the guardian is a good idea?

People continue to farm for dbs. Simple as that.

If you want you can also add the second simple fact that drop rates of set/legendaries are much higher in group T13, and that this is involves killing elites (and just mass annihilating everything else).
That too is a reason to keep the rift open.

In fact, considering that keys drop rate isnt really better in public, it seems kind of pointless to farm just keys in a public rift..

I'm not surprised people are annoyed. Probably since the OP didnt ask before closing either.
06/29/2018 07:31 PMPosted by Avendalia

If you want you can also add the second simple fact that drop rates of set/legendaries are much higher in group T13, and that this is involves killing elites (and just mass annihilating everything else).

In fact, considering that keys drop rate isnt really better in public, it seems kind of pointless to farm just keys in a public rift..

I'm not surprised people are annoyed. Probably since the OP didnt ask before closing either.

And this is a good example of one of those noobs I'm talking about.

The reason people go public is for the keys, death breaths are to be picked up on the way there, that's why you see some of them wear Nemesis to get more before the keys drop. Some don't even pick up anything at all cuz they are there only for the keys. That's the only thing public rifts are good for - getting more keys faster. if you plan on farming for other materials and legendary items or goblins or whatever, it is usually better to do it solo or with your own group.
This thread so far has left me more confused as to what was going on.

What was apparent to me were the other players in the public rifts were NOT picking up DB's or any kind of loot. They were killing elite packs, but not for progress as they'd run past any progress bulbs.

I base this on the fact that I could keep up with the groups I played with, until I stopped to click on anything to pick it up. Every time a elite pack died, literally the only character that ran to the center to pick anything up was mine - everyone else was already attacking the next group. And when the group split up on the wider maps, mine was the only character running "backwards" into explored space to pick up legs and sets that had dropped elsewhere.

Possibility #1 - They were looting DBs and items, but are simply way way better at clicking them than I. Sadly I am no longer in my teens, so this is possible, but I don't think my ability to click items is that bad.

Possibility #2 - The vast bulk of T13 rift farmers are using cheat software to loot at a distance.

Clearly rift keys and BS were not the priority as its obvious that immediate restarts make those faster.

So despite my observation that no one was actually picking items up - perhaps the goal was DB /item farming: But the theoretical 30s downtime isn't an issue for DBs and items as you can just keep on killing until the time is up. Even goblins have as much chance to be encountered in the next rift as after the rift guardian is dead.

The only point in favor of not closing is, closing rifts while there is unexplored floor space increases the relative risk of encountering a bandit shrine, goblin nest or just gelatinous goblins with too few seconds left on the clock to properly kill and loot.

Rifts are for db, yet you say closing the right after the guardian is a good idea?

It's not a contradiction. You have just as much chance of finding elite packs in the next rift as you do after the guardian is dead. The difference is that if you close immediately after the guardian, you get the same amount of elites (and hence DBs) but way more guardians per hour (and hence GR keys, bloodshards, materials and guardian-dropped legendaries).
06/28/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Avicenna
It doesn't seem to be keystones as no one ever shuts down the rift when the guardian is dead

keystones drop from guardians...not from closing the rift...
most people farm dozens even hundreds of keys. They do this because if they get a GR map they don't like, they simply restart game and open a new one which requires a ton of keys as the rng on maps is sometimes horrible
I dont know why u want farm only keys in t13 while u can faster solo it cause less hp the mobs have .

For public u will farm matterials,db and legendarys.
There is no reason to farm keys in public cause u can do it faster alone..

I want keys i go solo cause faster , when i want matterial i go public . Most of the rift ur party cant go 4different way so easy to pick up matts . For bigger maps u will focus legos what u can see on map.

Idk why most of the streamer prefer farm alone , while waiting for their team or maximum 3 man speeds.
Sever time rift was closed when i find goblin rift after the RB killed . If u want progres make ur own group.
06/30/2018 02:47 AMPosted by Necro
I dont know why u want farm only keys in t13 while u can faster solo it cause less hp the mobs have

For every player added to the group, the mobs gain 50% HP. Assuming each of the players in the group have roughly the same damage...
    1 player = 100% damage : 100% mob HP = 1:1
    2 players = 200% damage : 150% mob HP = 1.33:1
    3 players = 300% damage : 200% mob HP = 1.5:1
    4 players = 400% damage : 250% mob HP = 1.6:1

So, a four player group has a 60% better damage to HP ratio than a single player.
06/29/2018 11:18 PMPosted by Meteorblade

It's not a contradiction. You have just as much chance of finding elite packs in the next rift as you do after the guardian is dead. The difference is that if you close immediately after the guardian, you get the same amount of elites (and hence DBs) but way more guardians per hour (and hence GR keys, bloodshards, materials and guardian-dropped legendaries).

It is a contradiction, because you have to wait 30 seconds for a new rift to open. Unless your inventory is full it seems pointless to start a new one.

Ofcourse this depends on the rift as well. Closing it on a good map is just stupid.

And this is a good example of one of those noobs I'm talking about.
[/quote]
Well that was my opinon 2 and a half years ago when I last played (before this season) and it is still the same now.

People go there for the higher loot chance bro. Keys and Death Breaths are just as fast in solo, unless you have a slow build.

In that case yeah theres people that go public for keys and death breaths...because they cant do it on their own or as fast. Dont you think its a bit selfish to get carried and close rifts for others at the same time.

06/29/2018 08:54 PMPosted by SevenShadow

Some don't even pick up anything at all cuz they are there only for the keys. That's the only thing public rifts are good for - getting more keys faster. if you plan on farming for other materials and legendary items or goblins or whatever, it is usually better to do it solo or with your own group.

Solo has much lower drop rates. If you werent the noob you accused me of, youd know that.

Well considering people in here actually think public is best for keys I honestly dont know what to say.

But hey what do I know. Its not like im one of the people speeding through a rift with my Nemesis bracers, clearing for everyone while being mindful of their rift and letting them decide when to close it [/sarcasme]

Its a public game guys. If you want to be a !@#$% do it in your private game. Im glad a lot of the non-forum goers that play the game arent like this, geez.

06/29/2018 10:55 PMPosted by Avicenna

Clearly rift keys and BS were not the priority as its obvious that immediate restarts make those faster.

[/quote]
Well, few people go to public rifts for those, so that makes sense.

You havent mentioned the big thing yet: what map did you close it on?
Cuz if you closed it on a high density open (or otherwise good map) yeah, I totally get it. If you closed it on a terrible map you did the right thing.
But hey what do I know

Exactly, Jon Snow.

If you had to go to public rifts for loot then yeah, you are a noob, either that or a fresh 70 leech. And looking at your characters you happen to fall under BOTH categories LOL
People who go hunt fast keys use them for GR's where they get tenfold more loot than the nephalem rifts. One GR90 will give you more stuff than if you would have cleared an entire normal rift in half the time.
OP is right, rifts are for keys and db only. You should always close the rift after RG is dead. If they get mad at you you're playing with noobs so either ignore them or find a different game.

Some like to play their own ways. Just cause someone want a full clear does not make him/her a noob. But then again, you cannot post on here without trash talking someone.
06/30/2018 06:23 AMPosted by FuturePhunk
Some like to play their own ways.

Yeah, if you wanna play your own way play solo or make your own group. You can't go into a public game and expect people to cater to you and deviate from the trend.
06/29/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Alexismad
To reduce the impact of the 30 second timer, a lot of players with have someone tp, hit close, then hit the banner to rejoin the group. This costs one player 7-8 seconds and the rest of the party 1-2 seconds while the rift finally closes and they open a new one.

This is a thing? Glad I am not this bound to a game that 20 more seconds is a point of contention.

If we took 2 equal 4-man groups, and had one play your way, and the other play via closing the rift immediately after the RG is dead, after 100 minutes, the one that closed the rift early would have as many mats as you, but many more keys. That's it. So why not play the way that gains more?