How good was Vanilla in your memory ?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
07/11/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Demonmonger
And yet this was still more fulfilling than the current D3 setup where gear is gifted, and the only push is for XP and main stat......

I remember buying/getting those yellow items and identify them.. Oh the days.. I still have fun with the game, but this is what I miss.
There was no Adventure Mode so we all have to play the same story over and over again which can be quite boring. Plus the drops were abundant but was not focused in terms of main stat. Like if you are playing DH you would get tons of drops on intelligence and strength which was annoying. Also there were no all resist gems as they didn’t exist until Mosqueira came in and overhauled everything. Plain old vanilla was all about the auction house and grinding for gold which I found ridiculous. Or you spend real money to get the items you want which is a waste because when RoS came along that made all the gear you paid actual money for obsolete. Flushing money down the toilet at its finest. There were some good things about vanilla but overall I found it poorly designed and some what half assed. D3 today is a great improvement where it is about actually playing the game.
HOW GOOD WAS VANILLA IN YOUR MEMORY ?

It was good, but not as great as CHOCOLATE!!!
07/11/2018 08:53 PMPosted by NeueZiel
There was no Adventure Mode so we all have to play the same story over and over again which can be quite boring. Plus the drops were abundant but was not focused in terms of main stat. Like if you are playing DH you would get tons of drops on intelligence and strength which was annoying.
It was pretty disappointing how they set up campaign but I still don't like the idea of a separate mode. Hopefully they will return to Diablo 2 style formula ie. adventure mode continuously unlocked via campaign.

On stats, I think it was a huge mistake to go with smart loot instead of addressing the lack of benefit from off class stats. The problem isn't that intelligence and strength dropped on DHs, the problem was that they were fairly useless. We should have had a complete stat system rework with the expansion but they did not seize that opportunity.
It was more "challenging" (killing many bosses <1.0.3 at Inferno). I was really excited, when I killed Diablo at Inferno for the first time.

Even finding a better yellow gear, was just great..

The big downside was the AH and people who didnt play the game, but just the AH to make profit (and there were many).

They did nothing else, as waiting for good items at a low price and then sell it again for a !@#$load of gold/money.

Also the enrage timer.. That was great. Yeah, it was annoying and hard to deal with it, but that was the "fun"/challenging part.
Or that elite refilled their life, when you were gone.. Ahh.. Good memories :)
It was bad, there were bugs, legs didnt exist as in blue items were better than them, and the game experience was rather lame....I enjoyed ah flippin tho, but that's not really d3 lol
What i loved on vanilla was the inferno difficulty and its really hard to beat bosses. Also teaming up with others to defeat hard bosses like belial i enjoyed very much.

I also had no problem with the auctionhouses and trade itself; however i had a problem with that the drop rate ingame was connected to the auctionhouses and was so heavily lowered and randomized that it wasnt fun to play at all. It was basically playing for nothing.

Sure, legendary item rareness should be there and is something i even support but that yellow and blue items had such a high chance to roll with affixes for other classes was just too much of rng and definately steered the wheel straight to auctionhouse usage.

Then the halfhearted pvp with zero pvp-gear, zero balance, zero rankings and just one small area - it was bad, just bad and surely not what people expected when hearing about "pvp".
So I was playing vanilla on PS3 yesterday (after I realized I could do that I just had to get it for nostalgia's sake) and holy cow it has some stupid mechanics.

To me the most mind-boggling thing is how hitboxes worked. You can be a whole 20yards from the mob and it will still hit you. I thought that wouldn't be the case on the consle because there's a dodge roll button there, but this button is almost useless.

edit: and lol at dropping a blue item on level 5 with life leech on it. You're dealing about 10 to 40 damage with each atack at that level and you drop a item with 1.00% life leech... just wow. That will sure help you stay alive!

now if only I could update it to 1.0.5~1.0.8 to get what would probably be the best vanilla experience...
07/13/2018 05:30 AMPosted by Azrok
So I was playing vanilla on PS3 yesterday (after I realized I could do that I just had to get it for nostalgia's sake) and holy cow it has some stupid mechanics.

To me the most mind-boggling thing is how hitboxes worked. You can be a whole 20yards from the mob and it will still hit you. I thought that wouldn't be the case on the consle because there's a dodge roll button there, but this button is almost useless.

edit: and lol at dropping a blue item on level 5 with life leech on it. You're dealing about 10 to 40 damage with each atack at that level and you drop a item with 1.00% life leech... just wow. That will sure help you stay alive!

now if only I could update it to 1.0.5~1.0.8 to get what would probably be the best vanilla experience...

This might blow your mind, but the original console release is, if anything, equal to or after 1.08. It has the loot system dubbed 1.5, which is further along than the PC was at the time, since loot 2.0 wasn't released until the Reaper of Souls prepatch.

This is noticeable in a couple ways. First, legendary items actually drop while you level up, and they're worth wearing. Second, you should notice that stat levels are much higher than they were in classic D3 at the time.
07/13/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Orrion
07/13/2018 05:30 AMPosted by Azrok

This might blow your mind, but the original console release is, if anything, equal to or after 1.08. It has the loot system dubbed 1.5, which is further along than the PC was at the time, since loot 2.0 wasn't released until the Reaper of Souls prepatch.

This is noticeable in a couple ways. First, legendary items actually drop while you level up, and they're worth wearing. Second, you should notice that stat levels are much higher than they were in classic D3 at the time.

Yeah, mind blow failed :p I kinda knew most of that.

What I mean by wanting patch 1.0.5~1.0.8 is all the cool new mechanics that those patches introduced, like the vanilla paragon levels(which actually came in 1.0.4) and monster power. Those are absent in my current version and I don't think I can update the game to anything but the latest version.
07/13/2018 06:37 AMPosted by Azrok
07/13/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Orrion

What I mean by wanting patch 1.0.5~1.0.8 is all the cool new mechanics that those patches introduced, like the vanilla paragon levels(which actually came in 1.0.4) and monster power. Those are absent in my current version and I don't think I can update the game to anything but the latest version.

What?

Paragon was included in the console releases. It was limited to 100, character-specific, and (I think) boosted Magic and Gold find just like it was when originally introduced on the PC.

Monster Power should also be present, though there were only 5 levels of it on the console at the time, along with Normal, Hard, Expert, and Master, if I remember correctly.
Here you go: https://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_console

Diablo 3 Console Contents
[edit | edit source]
The console version of Diablo 3 has the same features as the PC version circa Patch 1.0.8. This is Diablo 3 vanilla with some "Loot 2.0" updates to the itemization system (Console was often referred to as "Loot 1.5".) The full game content is included, with the same zones of Acts 1-4, events, monsters, bosses, classes, skills, rune effects, and more. The console features a modified version of the Paragon 1.0 system (not Paragon 2.0, and the D3v version of the Infernal Machine, PvP via Brawling, and a console version of the Monster Power system for difficulty customization.. [4]
Key differences between the Diablo 3 Console and Diablo 3 v1.0.8. (Diablo 3 version 2, released a year after the console, is a very different game.)
Diablo 3 console features:
There is an offline mode.
There is no Auction House.
Does not connect via Battle.Net.
Camera is zoomed in a little more.
Enemy wave spawns slightly altered.
Movement is direct through the thumbstick (as opposed to click and move to).
Evade skill included for all characters.
Loot drops less frequently but is higher quality.
Many interface changes to work without a mouse, including fast equip item option.
Paragon levels are earned by characters who reach lvl 60, and one paragon level is shared between all characters. (The passive point bonus of Paragon 1.0, not the assigned points of Paragon 2.0, which came long after the console's release.)

Game Modes and Difficulty
[edit | edit source]

Playstation 3 shared screen

Xbox 360 shared screen
These are the difficulty values for the Diablo 3 console. The upcoming PS4 version of Reaper of Souls will have different settings, presumably much closer to what's seen on the PC in Reaper of Souls.
Easy: +0% Gold Find, +0% Magic Find, +0% Experience
Normal: +20% Gold Find, +20% Magic Find, +40% Experience
Hard: +40% Gold Find, +40% Magic Find, +80% Experience
Master I: +60% Gold Find, +60% Magic Find, +120% Experience
Master II: +70% Gold Find, +70% Magic Find, +140% Experience
Master III: +80% Gold Find, +80% Magic Find, +160% Experience
Master IV: +90% Gold Find, +90% Magic Find, +180% Experience
Master V: +100% Gold Find, +100% Magic Find, +200% Experience

As with the PC version the maximum number of players in a game is four.[5] The reasons for this in brief are:
There is a noticeable impact and contribution from each of the four players.
The most powerful group Buffs and Auras will not need to be nerfed to compensate for increased numbers simultaneously active.
On-screen noise. More people fill more of the screen and create more action on the screen at any one time.

-----

So Paragon was shared, but still capped. Bolded emphasis mine.
07/13/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Orrion
07/13/2018 06:37 AMPosted by Azrok

What?

Paragon was included in the console releases. It was limited to 100, character-specific, and (I think) boosted Magic and Gold find just like it was when originally introduced on the PC.

Monster Power should also be present, though there were only 5 levels of it on the console at the time, along with Normal, Hard, Expert, and Master, if I remember correctly.

Maybe I didn't check hard enough lol, I just played like 30 minutes. Tonight I'll actually have time to play it and I'll see.
07/13/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Azrok
07/13/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Orrion

What?

Maybe I didn't check hard enough lol, I just played like 30 minutes. Tonight I'll actually have time to play it and I'll see.

…. If you only played 30 minutes, how in the heck would you know it didn't have Paragon, since Paragon only activates once you play a character after they hit max level?
07/13/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Orrion
07/13/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Azrok

…. If you only played 30 minutes, how in the heck would you know it didn't have Paragon, since Paragon only activates once you play a character after they hit max level?

Because I thought that it was a version that didn't have paragon... simple as that. I just assumed it was released in a version prior to 1.0.5 or 1.0.4 . I might have seen the number somewhere but now reading about it the version numbering on the console appears to be different from pc.
I convinced about 10 friends to purchase D3 and play day one with me. In <1 mo. I was the only one remaining. Granted in recent years I've managed to get a handful to try the game again but the launch was atrocious x10.
There was nothing good about it!

• Legendary/set drops were extremely rare
  • Yellows were the best in the game; no legendary/set item could compete
  • RMAH
  • No adventure mode
  • No Paragon levels
  • No rifts/grifts
  • Only 3 difficulty levels
  • No seasons
  • That's just off the top of my head. The game as it is now is light years ahead of vanilla.
    I miss it and don't miss it for the same reason. The difficulty.

One thing I was always upset about was that I never beat the game before the first major nerf. I beat the game about 2 days after the first major nerf (sometime in June, about a month after the game came out). My DPS at the time was like 20k. I believe most people were suggesting to get to the 35-40k range, but I've never been one to have much luck.

Before the first major nerf, maxing out attack speed and getting life per hit was the only real way to beat the game. And you had to play inferno solo, because more players scaled the difficulty and damage up to a point that it was impossible to survive. After the nerf was when people started going for critical hit & critical damage. And up until RoS, I found a grand total of 4 items that had the trifecta of CC, CD, and AS, and that was with about 2000 hours of playtime. (And none of those pieces of gear were even AH worthy.) How I ended up beating the game was I just ended up draggin all the monsters to one portion of the screen, so I could make a mad dash to the next screen.

The major bad problem with the game was being too tied to the AH. But while RoS was a major quality of life improvement, it made things far too easy imho. I was just hoping for something more of a middle ground. Something where you couldn't be playing at the highest difficulty within 3 hours of creating a character, but after 24 hours of play, you might be able too.
    07/09/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Saidosha
    the game was playable until Inferno

wow, thanks for the handy information that nobody ever knew!

don't forget gem upgrading in the teens for each gem! like 13 or 14?
    07/09/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Duckypoo
    It was trash.

No in hind sight it was better as the op relives. I don’t play diablo 3 much if at all anymore but I’m truth vanilla alas better.

Now there is no diablo it’s just rifts and loot piñatas and gamble to win items. No loot hunt.

I remember beating inferno for the first time soft core it was a rush. By the time I got around to hardcore they killed the game it was still 5 modes but inferno had become a cake walk. Now how many difficulties are there ? 5826594? All of which are stupid easy. Making playing story mode pointless for the victory. Rifts are dull and boring.

When I do play now it goes log in- greater rift—-yawn become bored—- beat rift - salvage all the junk loot- log off for a few months.