Travis Day is leaving Blizzard/Diablo

General Discussion
@clueso

I just didn't get that feeling from the blue text I was able to find... link to that is in my first post on first page of this thread. Just kinda a generally feeling that I took from it is at stark contrast to what Rhykker was implying. But he didn't elaborate much on the specific subject.

In other words, I was reading between the lines a whole lot and maybe have misjudged it.
Do you have these threads bookmarked? I have many threads bookmarked for later references...

I actually don't. I have a pretty good memory and good Google-fu :) I have very very few threads bookmarked.

Hint - when we get the forum upgrade to the new software they are going to archive then wipe all the old posts. Copy paste or otherwise archive the ones you want to keep.
07/12/2018 08:38 AMPosted by clueso
Rhykker mentioned in one of his videos that he made last year after he was invited to Blizzard HQ to test the Necro, that Travis implied such a thing.

Please leave rhykker out of this discussion.
The "problem" with him, was the same as with many other devs: He was from WoW!!

That BoA !@#$, the 4:2 system, it was just garbage compared to D2.

Maybe that system made sense in WoW, but not in Diablo series. It was still better than the old loot, because it was not just complete random (getting INT on a barb sword for example, etc).

So I wish him a good future and luck with any project he is doing, but I hope he will not be part of any Diablo4 team ever!!

Hire some guys back, who are either working at PoE or did Torchlight in the past, but dont put any WoW dev into it.. (or not a dev who did the last 8-10 years nothing else except WoW).
07/12/2018 08:36 AMPosted by clueso
I just hope they learned their lesson with D3 and will make it better in D4 and not impose massively overpowered builds on their players. If Travis was one of the guys who was willing to change something about sets and multipliers, I am sad to see him go, but you are right, just because they know about the issue doesn't mean that they want to do something about it.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above the problem is more likely that the devs already understood the design issues well in advance, but that they simply lack the creative control to do anything about it.

For example, in the Jay Wilson postmortem interview he says that while he prefers spreadsheet level complexity in RPGs the intent of D3 was to make something more accessible. This hints that the direction of the game is less something the devs decide on and more the thing they are tasked with creating.
07/12/2018 08:45 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Hint - when we get the forum upgrade to the new software they are going to archive then wipe all the old posts. Copy paste or otherwise archive the ones you want to keep.

I remember you said this before, so I already downloaded many of these threads on my PC. But thanks for the reminder.
07/12/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Hackusations
I just hope they learned their lesson with D3 and will make it better in D4 and not impose massively overpowered builds on their players. If Travis was one of the guys who was willing to change something about sets and multipliers, I am sad to see him go, but you are right, just because they know about the issue doesn't mean that they want to do something about it.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above the problem is more likely that the devs already understood the design issues well in advance, but that they simply lack the creative control to do anything about it.
For example, in the Jay Wilson postmortem interview he says that while he prefers spreadsheet level complexity in RPGs the intent of D3 was to make something more accessible. This hints that the direction of the game is less something the devs decide on and more the thing they are tasked with creating.

That would really be the worst case scenario. Maybe the management realizes that if they once again make a product like D3, many people will not buy it, because they would want a product that is more like D2 (or a mix of the best that D2 had and what D3 had + a few other nice things).

I am not sure if I read or saw Jay's postmortem interview. Can you provide me with a link?
07/12/2018 11:03 AMPosted by clueso
I am not sure if I read or saw Jay's postmortem interview. Can you provide me with a link?

Google Fu :)

https://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/diablo-3-post-mortem-jay-wilson-pt1

There are 5 parts, all linked there.
07/11/2018 08:00 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Link? I was not around for the stream sadly. How do they know? Also GOOD!!! He is the only Blizzard person I have met who was personality wise incompatible. I won't go into details as I don't want to get in trouble.

Edit - I apologize if some took this the wrong way. I was only offering a personal opinion based on my own interactions, not anything to do with how he got along at Blizzard or why he might be leaving. I would not know anything about that. I wish him well and look forward to the new folks they are bringing in.

For Diablo 4 can we please get rid of this MVP stuff? If you want to post a lot fine, but let's end this tripe.
Or at least they should be active players, what does the P stand for in MVP?
07/12/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Avalon

It stands for Poster. FAQ is here https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/4038704716
07/12/2018 12:04 PMPosted by MissCheetah
07/12/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Avalon

It stands for Poster. FAQ is here https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/4038704716

So, it appears that an MVP could be someone who plays the forum, but does not actuality play the game that much? As the P stands for poster and not player?
07/12/2018 12:11 PMPosted by Avalon
As the P stands for poster and not player?

The very title of the linked thread answers your question as does the FAQ

Q. Why aren't MVPs the hardest of the hardcore players?

A. You do not have to be max level in World of Warcraft, at the top of the StarCraft II ladder, or have the best collection of items in Diablo III to answer the majority of questions on the forums clearly and accurately. You do not need a specific number of Achievement points to be able to direct players to the appropriate page on the website for their question, or to link to an answer already given by Blizzard. MVPs are chosen primarily for their demonstrated communication skills and helpfulness toward the community, and while some of them may also be top-ranked players in one or more Blizzard games, it's not a requirement.
There are only 2 MVPs for D3 or ? Miss C posts frequently and on very rare occasion some guy from Reddit D3 posts here as MVP - else i didnt see some MVP posting here except for "The Tias" but he doesnt appear to be MVP anymore.
07/12/2018 11:56 AMPosted by TakeNotes
For Diablo 4 can we please get rid of this MVP stuff? If you want to post a lot fine, but let's end this tripe.

I rather enjoy her posts Mr. Salty.
07/12/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Hackusations

....and yet, you need a spreadsheet to map all of the current inconsistencies in D3...
07/12/2018 01:42 PMPosted by NINEGRAVES
There are only 2 MVPs for D3 or ? Miss C posts frequently and on very rare occasion some guy from Reddit D3 posts here as MVP - else i didnt see some MVP posting here except for "The Tias" but he doesnt appear to be MVP anymore.

It is a bit confusing these days. D3 had two groups of MVPs. There were Community MVPs like Monstrous, Drothvader, and Narull as well as ones who posted in the class forums. They have all moved on except Monstrous who does post on occasion.

Then there were the Fansite/website MVPs. D3 is the only game I know of where they got green titles but some still have them. They very very very rarely post, but you might see it from time to time. Those were usually folks who ran the websites or were reddit mods.

Tias and I were actually Tech Support MVPs, not D3 Community MVPs. We just both posted a lot on D3 General as well. Over time he left the Tech Support MVP program and I was left as the only frequent poster. These days I kind of wear a lot of hats and help out on TS/Bug issues, D3, CS (WoW), and WoW General.

The MVP program for D3 is pretty much on hold as far as changing it, revamping it, or adding new members.
Loved the news. Travis was the guy which removed pvp, removed charms on d3, and the guy which refused paragon new version with a new rune specialization tabs into paragon. Each character would pick one element and to specialize one it putting points to make sinergy.
I just want to say that we can't know for sure who or what is responsible for the current state of D3. It could be a lack of drive from the team, or maybe the higher ups have enforced limits on what the devs are allowed to do. Also, a lot of players really like the current version of D3 and I have no idea if D3 (or even a D4) would be as successful if it was the game I want it to become.
07/11/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Avalon
If Wyatt Cheng leaves, I just might cry, next to Chris Metzan he is my favorite.

If Cheng leaves, maybe we will finally be able to auto pick up crafting materials.