D2 Remastered, Guidelines for Greatness

General Discussion
Enough with the LIES & DECEIT! We all know D2 is coming back! In fact, Diablo II is coming back in a way that would make Diablo himself PROUD to sit down and take a dump on his own minions through this ANCIENT CLASSIC.

How do we know this?

Blizzard is interested in making money and Diablo II would be a major cashcow AND relatively inexpensive to make. Most of the content is already done; there is no need to design a game or a game engine or a plot. All this already exists, the only job left is to rebuild the game through Diablo III engine, which also already exists.

Other things why Diablo II Remastered is a good idea. Diablo III is losing players, probably because of the rigid character development system. Character development in D3 is based almost entirely on items and getting items is a grind, which nobody enjoys on the long run. By developing Diablo II R. while D3 is still breathing Blizzard would not lose players or own infrastructure (servers and whatever) that are gathering dust due to lack of players.

Diablo II Remastered
  • Expansions set: Lord of Destruction (included)
  • Improvements: Loot system, bug fixes, etc.
  • Untouched character development system.

The game does not have to be identical to the old Diablo II and it cannot be. The main focus for the development should be on preserving the dark atmosphere or "feel" to the game and the character development system of Total Freedom. (Yes, we want to put 50 points in one skill just to see what happens!)

Item or loot system as a whole might need enhancements but there should be an option to turn these enhancements off. Additional graphics for spells, monsters, minions as their power level grows through skill points or increased difficulty. (These could be sold separately.)

These are my main concerns, feel free to share your own or start the endless debate about if it's coming or is not coming.
A D2 remaster shouldn't change anything gameplay wise.

Improved graphics and framerate without affecting things like breakpoints.

Maybe some fixes for bugs and whatnot, but I don't think they should fix things like the lightning souls doing more damage than intended.
As much as everyone would like to preserve D2 as it was...and personally I strongly prefer 2 over 3...
think about 2 things
1 - well brevik seriously said its not happening. He doesn't work for blizz anymore...but he obviously knows a lot about diablo 2 yes?

2 - (hopefully) you've played diablo 2 recently. a recent experience with the game.
If so...I mean the game is screaming for a balance patch....like shouting at the top of its lungs or w/e demons / fallen breathe out of if they even breathe.

Do you realize what 1 balance patch would do to diablo 2? It would multiply D2's fun-factor...at least cubed+. Keeping D2 as-is untouched is not worth the cost of letting tons of fun builds not get attention to function better.

Example...I just ran a bowzon up for a few weeks. Bows don't do enough damage whatsoever in the game...compared to say every spell caster in it?

So..how can you be against a balance patch when certain builds are basically like a fraction of the killing speed as the bigmetabuilds?

So an example of a well-welcomed change would be to buff certain bow's dmg...or bow classes...w/e....so bowzons can be-important like they used to be in the earlier versions.

Saying you don't want a balance patch means you want builds to say stagnant...and I don't think anyone wants that. Nobody wants to play a Diablo 2 where idk..hammerdin...lighsorc...completely dominate the game. You want the weaker builds to have similar power level...not new number 1 level...but close that gap on a lot of builds.

Another example...pot chugging....like who wants to play a diablo that mandates insight / infinity / spirit / dub spirits?

Another example...boss tp out.....who wants to play a diablo where if bosses are getting tough..just tp back to town a bunch use your gold to refuel pots your build cant sustain...and keep doing that to down the boss...basically using NPC's as healing.

many more examples.

Throw barb? Last time I checked T-Barbs are not-wanted because quantity ruins the build...nobody likes repairing back in town constantly to keep the build moving. Do you really want that to not-change?

Just pointing out why Diablo 2 absolutely needs a balance patch if it were ever remade...but like brevik said its not happening and probs like you I trust the man's opinion about Diablo 2.
Brevik said it would be difficult to update the graphics to high resolution and still keep the same level of smoothness. Blizzard may or may not be willing to put in the effort to redo the graphics to HD level in a remaster. I do believe that Blizzard could do it if they really wanted to, they have the resources and talent.

I am sure though that we could get increased stash space, some expanded screen resolutions for more modern monitors, perhaps some better B.NET functionality. I am expecting a big patch for D2LOD though.

Bows do less damage but they are much safer to play. I have a level 75 Srafezon right now in hell with -25 resistances. I could never do that with a Spearazon or anything melee.

You will never have a balanced state between classes and builds in any Diablo game. It never happened in D2, and it never happened in D3.

The only reason that even becomes a problem is when you try and make a Diablo game competitive with stupid leaderboards and crap like that.

Besides, the itemization was deep enough in Diablo 2 to take even wonky builds to very high power levels, if you were willing to put in the time to grind the gear.
Keep on dreaming folks. D2 remaster will NEVER happen. If there’s one company that doesn’t know what to do with a gold mine, you know who. Time is our witness.
Based on the job postings over the last year something is happened with D2 its just a question of how big. It might not be a complete remaster but its going to at least be a nice patch.
08/22/2018 10:36 PMPosted by sneakytails
Based on the job postings over the last year something is happened with D2 its just a question of how big. It might not be a complete remaster but its going to at least be a nice patch.

Considering they did it with Sc1 and Wc3 (or at least working on wc3?) A D2 patch should happen. They only remastered Sc1 though. So who knows.
08/22/2018 02:51 PMPosted by GeminiEclips

Maybe some fixes for bugs and whatnot, but I don't think they should fix things like the lightning souls doing more damage than intended.
Why preserve breakpoints? As far as I know, its a feature because of the technological limitations of the time.
If they did a d2 remastered I would want them to do to like D3 where everyone gets there own loot.
Ugh, no, don't remake or remaster D2. Just move on. Either create an entirely new IP or do like a prequel to Diablo 1 and 2 where the Primes were originally captured by the Horadrim. I'm not really sure how a sequel to D3 would even work, either. I mean, how many times are we going to have to defeat Diablo? lol He's like a weed, keeps coming back.
08/22/2018 09:33 PMPosted by Thorodan

1 - well brevik seriously said its not happening. He doesn't work for blizz anymore...but he obviously knows a lot about diablo 2 yes?

2 - (hopefully) you've played diablo 2 recently. a recent experience with the game.
If so...I mean the game is screaming for a balance patch....like shouting at the top of its lungs or w/e demons / fallen breathe out of if they even breathe.

Do you realize what 1 balance patch would do to diablo 2? It would multiply D2's fun-factor...at least cubed+. Keeping D2 as-is untouched is not worth the cost of letting tons of fun builds not get attention to function better.

Altering the game content goes against the spirit of "remastered". If you alter the content too much it is no longer the original Diablo II that people are assuming they are paying for, it becomes something else Diablo II Enchanced or something like that.
That being said, I don't think the game should remain exactly like it was in the old days. Obviously the games has more than a few sharp edges that could use some smoothening out. What I ment by "untouched" character development system is the total freedom to distribute stat and skill points, this should remain as it was.
08/22/2018 10:14 PMPosted by sneakytails
Brevik said it would be difficult to update the graphics to high resolution and still keep the same level of smoothness. Blizzard may or may not be willing to put in the effort to redo the graphics to HD level in a remaster. I do believe that Blizzard could do it if they really wanted to, they have the resources and talent.

If Brevik (who ever he is) said that, then he is officially a moron. Blizzard can build most of the game easily with D3 engine. Redrawing and modeling the graphics would constitute major proportion of the work in D2 Remastered but this is not a big deal for Blizzard. The rest of the game content 80 - 90% already exists or is ridiculously easy to implement. Even I could do it by modifying already existing D3 code.

It's not going to be a patch. Patch would have been released LONG time ago.

Diablo II problems will not be solved with a "patch" and Blizzard rarely does anything without a profit in mind, it's D2 Remastered. Twenty bucks times 10 million copies, plus DLC (graphics packs, content enchancements etc.) 5 bucks a piece. It's huge amount of profit for a small amount of work. It's almost as easy money as doing Starcraft Remastered. All they had to do was to redraw buildings, units and UI, everything else they could take from SC2.
08/22/2018 10:23 PMPosted by PowerCosmic
Keep on dreaming folks. D2 remaster will NEVER happen. If there’s one company that doesn’t know what to do with a gold mine, you know who. Time is our witness.

Here it is, the comment I was looking for. In that "necro necro necro" thread, the very last comment before resurrected was someone telling us how Blizzard operates and that they would never release the Necro on D3.

So, tell us more about Blizzard's next moves?
Possible DLC:
  • Graphics packs for class specific spells & abilities, the more points in a skill the more glorius the effects.
  • D3 systems: Difficulty system, Loot & item drop system.
  • Balance pack, smoothening out obvious D2 problems without changing the core mechanics.
  • Gold & Shopkeeper rework, making gold actually useful.

All DLC could be controlled (on/off) through the options, no refunds.
Starcraft Remastered is identical in all game systems to the original so that standard and remastered can play together. Making them different would split the already small community. This is why I can see them simply creating new sprites and adding higher resolution options and nothing else.
08/23/2018 09:57 AMPosted by UngivenFame
08/22/2018 02:51 PMPosted by GeminiEclips

Why preserve breakpoints? As far as I know, its a feature because of the technological limitations of the time.

Indeed. I cannot believe the downvote logic of comments in this forum. Who would want to watch useless animations of loading screens when the game is not actually loading anything? Hahahaha, unbelievable. I bet these people are the first to complain when they are actually watching those loading screens with i7-TITAN-supercomputers.
I wouldn't call a D2 that was redone a remastered version. I would call it a remake and it would have to be almost built from the ground up. Yes it is true you know what to put into the game. But there are so many things that are different now that didn't exist back then and things from back then that don't exist now and cannot be duplicated such as the sprites that D2 uses.

Now that I know that this game is going to NS along with themed seasons this is telling me that there will be enough people playing this game to hold the players interest until their new project hits the shelves which could be anything but I now highly doubt that it is a D2 remake, not impossible just not likely. What Blizz will probably do is have D4 as the big reveal at Blizzcon. Now if there are any other projects outside of D4 then if they have a separate team then either D2 remake might be possible but also it might be possible that this game would get more new content. We will just have to wait and see what Blizz wants to do and it probably won't be revealed till Blizzcon. Now there might be some hints when the schedule for Blizzcon goes up.
Guidelines for D2 Remastered Greatness:

• Remaster Textures/Sprites
  • Remaster Music/Sound
  • Introduce 16:9 support (and adjust game mechanics accordingly)
  • Add D2LOD to Blizzard Launcher

• Bonus with simple patch:

• Introduce "Shared-Stash" or Bigger Stash

• Note: "Bigger Stash" was planned a few years ago for D2LOD, but ultimately they scrapped that idea because of Server Storage Concerns, and the fact that at that time a lot of "D2 Keys" were fabricated. This meant that it would have been possible for "Third Party Sellers" or other illegal folks to create countless accounts with countless full characters and thus bring the storage server to its knees in short time.

With certain measures and technology it is now possible to patch D2LOD and introduce larger Stash and maybe even Shared-Stash. I think its plausible this larger stash will come with a patch before or at the time of D2LOD Remastered Launch.

They will NOT attempt to change game-balance, or drop-rates, or anything of that nature, because that would not only P!ss off ALL D2 fans, but also would not be a "Remaster" but a "Re-Envisioning", and that remaster is ultimately for D2 fans and also so future generations get to experience the best Diablo game to-date in the future. Blizzard will "preserve" the D2LOD experience as we know it today, and might or might not add small quality-of-life things here and there like "Left-Click to move items from stash to inventory".
    I still think we are getting 16:9 support and a shared stash in a patch even if there is no full remaster.

Although I would rather have a full remaster.
    Bonus with simple patch:
  • Introduce "Shared-Stash" or Bigger Stash

• Shared stash is bad. It makes it easier for sharing items to other characters, but that takes a lot from the game, and makes it just a grinder, taking away that need to look for a good gear for every char
    08/25/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Mastah
    08/22/2018 09:33 PMPosted by Thorodan

Altering the game content goes against the spirit of "remastered". If you alter the content too much it is no longer the original Diablo II that people are assuming they are paying for, it becomes something else Diablo II Enchanced or something like that.
    That being said, I don't think the game should remain exactly like it was in the old days. Obviously the games has more than a few sharp edges that could use some smoothening out. What I ment by "untouched" character development system is the total freedom to distribute stat and skill points, this should remain as it was.
    08/22/2018 10:14 PMPosted by sneakytails

If Brevik (who ever he is) said that, then he is officially a moron. Blizzard can build most of the game easily with D3 engine. Redrawing and modeling the graphics would constitute major proportion of the work in D2 Remastered but this is not a big deal for Blizzard. The rest of the game content 80 - 90% already exists or is ridiculously easy to implement. Even I could do it by modifying already existing D3 code.

It's not going to be a patch. Patch would have been released LONG time ago.

Diablo II problems will not be solved with a "patch" and Blizzard rarely does anything without a profit in mind, it's D2 Remastered. Twenty bucks times 10 million copies, plus DLC (graphics packs, content enchancements etc.) 5 bucks a piece. It's huge amount of profit for a small amount of work. It's almost as easy money as doing Starcraft Remastered. All they had to do was to redraw buildings, units and UI, everything else they could take from SC2.

Obviously YouTube don't know what programming is all about , right? Brevik was refering to the engine of Diablo 2. It is outdated son it'll be really difficult to update it to current hardware even more than make a new engine. Also, be more respectful to him as he is the creator (original idea, director and lead programmer) of Diablo 1 and 2.