What Diablo 4 shouldn't carry over from Diablo 3

General Discussion
1 2 3 17 Next
Given the latest announcement about Diablo projects in the making and the likelihood that one of those projects is Diablo 4, i thought it would be a good time to list a few things that in my opinion shouldn't be carried over from Diablo 3 and a few notes to what i believe would be a better direction:

-The writing. No invincible Nephalem mary sue, no one-dimensional villains that undermine themselves (Asmodan, Belial), and for the love of god do NOT bring Leah back.

-The graphics, make it gritty and desaturated like D1 and 2. Diablo 3 often looks cartoony and too colorful, an exeption to this is the Temple of the Firstborn, which was a step in the right direction, it just needed to be a bit more desaturated.

-Slow the pace of gameplay, make it look more similar to what was shown in the gameplay trailer back in 2010.

-The ancients and primal items, they only serve as just another layer of RNG to what would otherwise be an accomplishment for the player.

-The ridiculous numbers, seriously bring those numbers down, people are doing damage by the billions it only makes the screen look like a mess.

-Skill runes, either come up with a better, more complex system or just go back to Diablo 2 skill trees.

That is all.
WHAT DIABLO 4 SHOULDN'T CARRY OVER FROM DIABLO 2

D2 skill tree.
08/08/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Grimaldus
-The ridiculous numbers, seriously bring those numbers down, people are doing damage by the billions it only makes the screen look like a mess.

Not to mention the giant numbers cause glitches and lag. Hopefully the new damage numbers won't exceed 5 digits. 6 is pushing it.

08/08/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Kilometer
WHAT DIABLO 4 SHOULDN'T CARRY OVER FROM DIABLO 2

D3's skill system.

FTFY
Should bring everything! D3 is great imo. I loved D2 but games evolve, if you want to keep things like D2 why not play D2 instead?
upgrading legendary gems:
-for players with many characters and needing reserve legendary gems, it's a shore
D4 will never look gritty or realistic. The cartoony graphics are a signature look for blizzard and probably always will be. They would be stupid to change that.
LAck of skill progression, lack of character progression, rares being worthless, legendaries becoming so common that everyone have a stash fulfilled with legendary items, graphics, ridiculous inflated numbers, lack of depth mechanics, everything being %WD, etc, etc, etc
08/08/2018 09:00 AMPosted by L0rdV1ct0r
LAck of skill progression

Skills grow more powerful with item modifiers. You not liking it doesn't mean it is lacking.

lack of character progression

Levels, skills, passives, paragon levels; what lack of character progression are you talking about?

rares being worthless

I'll give you this one. Rares shouldn't be worthless. Right now they are just crafting material fodder.

legendaries becoming so common that everyone have a stash fulfilled with legendary items, graphics

This one touches on the previous point. Legendary items shouldn't be so rare that you never ever see them, but they should feel good to get. Rare items should be sufficient placeholder items that when rolled well make you have to decide. As it stands if you don't have a legendary item in that slot, the item is considered useless. They have essentially turned legendary items into "common" items.

graphics, ridiculous inflated numbers

I agree with both points. It's fun to see your numbers increase; however, when the numbers are increasing by billions and then trillions? It's not even a difficult fix, just alter the exponential curve. I suppose Blizzard feels like if we don't see massive number increases it's less fun? Who knows. Graphics are dated, they were dated when the game released. Hope they don't make that mistake twice.
08/08/2018 08:58 AMPosted by zno
D4 will never look gritty or realistic. The cartoony graphics are a signature look for blizzard and probably always will be. They would be stupid to change that.

Those so-called cartoony graphic made them billions. So yeah. No reason for them to change them. They want to appease the mass, not a niche fanbase.
08/08/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Kilometer
08/08/2018 08:58 AMPosted by zno

Those so-called cartoony graphic made them billions. So what is the problem?

You would be silly if you think that they will forgo their billions just to please few guys like you.

What? That's what i basically said. Was it the cartoony bit or what?
08/08/2018 09:15 AMPosted by zno
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Those so-called cartoony graphic made them billions. So what is the problem?

You would be silly if you think that they will forgo their billions just to please few guys like you.

What? That's what i basically said. Was it the cartoony bit or what?

My bad. I misread your post. Will delete my previous post.
D4 should be a game on to it self. With that said nothing should be carried over from D3.
Fresh start please.
Agree.

• Story and writing was something I didnt like in D3. The story beat you over the head with poorly designed and executed villains and protagonists. Very bad story IMO and way too much "in your face". This was actually acknowledged by the Devs themselves and they learned their lesson, even though most of them left Blizzard by now.
  • Movement speed should be obviously brought back to normal. Running "Rifts" with people is no fun, because everyone is moving with 10000% movement speed across the tiny tunneled maps. That being said, attack skills should exist that can be used as a form of faster movement but no where to the extend it is in D3.
  • Ridiculous high damage and health numbers are pathetic, i agree. Just ridiculous.
  • Ancient and Primal Ancient items are pathetic but it was the only and also cheapest solution to give the least amount of long-term loothunt to the game. D3's loot game is non-existent overall, which is one of the major glaring issues in D3 since it was launched in 2012.
  • "Skill Runes" are pure brain-wash propaganda. They removed skill trees and replaced it with a simple mobile-friendly "skill system" that allows noobs and casuals to make mistakes without consequences. Further, any "build" in D3 is a developer build, and if you as a player choose to click the skills the devs wanted you to click, then you are no different from any other player with the same class. Every "build" in D3 can be changed in 5 seconds to something entirely different, and thats a huge mistake in a game like Diablo, as rerolling fresh characters from scratch is fundamental part of the Diablo game and Diablo experience. They then removed runes and runewords from D3, and abused the word "Rune" by using it to describe the individual "skill alterations". The only reason the D3 team called them "Skill Runes" is so people from D2 would hear the word "Rune" in 2012 and think there are runewords in D3. It was in my opinion illegal propaganda.
  • Last but not least the "Graphics" in d3 are not bad I think. But I definitely don't like the cartoony aspects, for sure, and they could have done a much better job with the textures IMO. All textures in D3 are "washed out" like in WOW, and that does not work well for Diablo IMO. D4 can have semi-stylized graphics, but the textures should have much more detail and be more grim-dark. The mood must be gothic medieval horror. No more butterfly witches, colorful pony-levels and highly misplaced attempts at humor that breaks immersion in all the wrong places. Monsters must be gory, and really vicious in appearance and have sounds that let you identify the type of monster ahead before it comes into your screen.
  • Anything not related to a Diablo MMO-RPG!
    08/08/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Grimaldus
    Given the latest announcement about Diablo projects in the making and the likelihood that one of those projects is Diablo 4, i thought it would be a good time to list a few things that in my opinion shouldn't be carried over from Diablo 3 and a few notes to what i believe would be a better direction:

-The writing. No invincible Nephalem mary sue, no one-dimensional villains that undermine themselves (Asmodan, Belial), and for the love of god do NOT bring Leah back.

-The graphics, make it gritty and desaturated like D1 and 2. Diablo 3 often looks cartoony and too colorful, an exeption to this is the Temple of the Firstborn, which was a step in the right direction, it just needed to be a bit more desaturated.

-Slow the pace of gameplay, make it look more similar to what was shown in the gameplay trailer back in 2010.

-The ancients and primal items, they only serve as just another layer of RNG to what would otherwise be an accomplishment for the player.

-Skill runes, either come up with a better, more complex system or just go back to Diablo 2 skill trees.

That is all.

We get it. You paid $50k and went to FullSailUniversity and now think your a lead dev on a Triple-A Title.
    Long story short:

1. COMBAT
    2. HEALTH SYSTEM.
    3. PERIOD.
    i think the title is about what SHOULD'NT be carried over from d3, so on the top of my list is please no free gear.
    08/08/2018 08:55 AMPosted by RUNtoFUN
    upgrading legendary gems:
    -for players with many characters and needing reserve legendary gems, it's a shore
    But it's a shore that we can reach with a little paddling...

See what I did there?
    08/08/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Sigür
    Long story short:

1. COMBAT
    2. HEALTH SYSTEM.
    3. PERIOD.
    1. Go play a different game.
    2. Pretty much the same as all other games...what's up?
    3. Go play a different game.
    08/08/2018 03:59 PMPosted by StoneCold
    08/08/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Sigür
    Long story short:

1. COMBAT
    2. HEALTH SYSTEM.
    3. PERIOD.
    1. Go play a different game.
    2. Pretty much the same as all other games...what's up?
    3. Go play a different game.

Actually i meant what should carry from D4.

What shouldnt? Dont know where to start...