Is powerleveling frowned upon?

General Discussion
I don’t cheat in games, which is why I only play soloi. This ( I play on ps4). But is power levelling frowned upon? I joined a friends game back on PS3 a few years back and he ran my character through some rifts. A few years back when I played on pc people on here said powerlevelling is ok, as it saves time. What’s the verdict on it?
08/21/2018 07:06 PMPosted by GoosePants
I don’t cheat in games, which is why I only play soloi. This ( I play on ps4). But is power levelling frowned upon? I joined a friends game back on PS3 a few years back and he ran my character through some rifts. A few years back when I played on pc people on here said powerlevelling is ok, as it saves time. What’s the verdict on it?

I've played all classes, solo, to lvl 70.

I've asked for (and gotten) plvl when starting a season late.

I think most agree that 1-70 is the tutorial, and the real game starts after that, so I believe most feel plvl is fine.

Plvl on hardcore might be a bit of a right of passage the first time however...
I mostly play solo but do occasionally get power leveled in SC seasons but not in HC. I do power level other players in both SC and HC. I think you’re fine being power leveled as has been said 1-70 is really just the tutorial and the bulk of the game these days is after you attain level 70.
Thanks
For those who played back in 2012, when you had to play through the story for each difficulty for each character, thank frack for power-leveling. Even though they discarded the old school difficulty levels, I still can't bear the story mode. When it comes to storytelling, Blizzard clearly is not a believer in "Show, don't tell". No, they opt for the "Broadcast, and shout" approach.

I'll give them credit for RoS though. It was a step-up over the base game.
08/21/2018 07:14 PMPosted by cknopp
I think most agree that 1-70 is the tutorial, and the real game starts after that, so I believe most feel plvl is fine.

At this point in time it barely qualifies as a tutorial, tbh. It's more like a completely irrelevant chore and a complete waste of time you can't carry anything from where it counts, since there's nothing preventing you from trying every skill combination you can come up with as a fresh lvl70 character. At best, all you can get nowadays from that pointless leveling bracket is maybe a couple of legs to put into the cube, and that's about it, since the most frequently used ones drop only after lvl70 anyways.

Under such conditions, it makes perfect sense to look for a quick power level instead of going through that pointless leveling process on your own, regardless if it's frowned upon or not.
It's not cheating per se, but it's definitely a shortcut.

And on the bigger scale of things, you got people bragging that they beat GR130 when all they pretty much did was sit back and let the rest of the party do the heavy lifting.
Verdict is do whatever you want.
08/21/2018 07:06 PMPosted by GoosePants

In D3, powerleveling is expected and encouraged by the bulk of the playerbase as it only takes an hour of minimal effort.
This season I have leveled 3 characters without powerlevel because I found out that I like 1-70 when you can play with the cube. I even played campaign Act 1 and almost Act 2 before one of my characters were fully leveled. For once its actually fun to play "fun builds".
Power leveling is more frowned on when it happens during the first few weeks of a season. Later on, no biggie.

For the most part its not a problem, as many players have already done the story mode, they are just wanting to get to the level 70 asap.

But when everyone is first starting a season, and you get friends that ask to be power leveled when you yourself had to do it the hard way like most everyone else, its a little annoying. lol

After the first couple weeks or so, I'm more often inclined to help out someone else and power level them.

But that's my impression. I did a TON of power leveling back in the vanilla days, one reason one of my DHers has so many elite kills. A lot of those were from doing Act 3 Alk runs over and over for power leveling. (In the days before monster power even).

Game on.
08/22/2018 10:45 AMPosted by DTMAce
Power leveling is more frowned on when it happens during the first few weeks of a season. Later on, no biggie.

For the most part its not a problem, as many players have already done the story mode, they are just wanting to get to the level 70 asap.

But when everyone is first starting a season, and you get friends that ask to be power leveled when you yourself had to do it the hard way like most everyone else, its a little annoying. lol

After the first couple weeks or so, I'm more often inclined to help out someone else and power level them.

But that's my impression. I did a TON of power leveling back in the vanilla days, one reason one of my DHers has so many elite kills. A lot of those were from doing Act 3 Alk runs over and over for power leveling. (In the days before monster power even).

Game on.

It's kinda beneficial to play through the game at the start of a season. If I recall, every boss is a guaranteed legendary drop. But a party is highly recommended to speed it up.
08/22/2018 10:50 AMPosted by Cars
If I recall, every boss is a guaranteed legendary drop. But a party is highly recommended to speed it up.

Only Leoric when you first kill him will drop a leg and its the broken crown leg and I believe thats in story mode only. The rest of the bosses, if they drop a leg, its just rng on your side.

Power Leveling def saves alot of time but I for one am against it. I level all my own char's when I do play because im not lazy and dont take shortcuts. And it really doesn't take that long to level anyway on your own.
08/22/2018 11:38 AMPosted by TheRugester

Only Leoric when you first kill him will drop a leg and its the broken crown leg and I believe thats in story mode only. The rest of the bosses, if they drop a leg, its just rng on your side.

[/quote]

Leoric drops the Leoric's Crown (+helm gem Multiplier). Diablo will drop a legendary if killed before 60 and Malth will drop one before 70.

PLvl is really only frowned upon on the first 24hours of a season. It does get annoying that 30mins into a season you see "LF Powerlevel".
only by players that get less boosted than another.

a few PvP-grinders seem to realise, that the carrot stays at the exact same distance before them, from the start until the end of times.
Its personal opinion if someone considers plvl cheating or not. Seeing as Diablo 3 grants additional exp when partied, as well has having gems and gear that grant additional exp. It would be quite silly to argue that Plvl in this game is cheating when it gives you ways to level faster then normal.
08/22/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Leotharas
Its personal opinion if someone considers plvl cheating or not. Seeing as Diablo 3 grants additional exp when partied, as well has having gems and gear that grant additional exp. It would be quite silly to argue that Plvl in this game is cheating when it gives you ways to level faster then normal.

Let's not forget the "Gem of Ease"

PS: I have been known to level another toon solo just for something different to do than GR. I do find it fun to build around what drops, and max your power with what you get.

That fun dies at 70 tho... So I delete and keep an open spot for the next time im bored.