Question about the Black Soulstone

Lore and Story
I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Black Soulstone first appeared in Diablo 3.

So... How did the 3 prime evils and 2 of the lesser ones got trapped in the Black Soulstone before Zoltun Kulle finished it? Did they just transported themselves there?

I've been replaying Diablo 3 this past week and this answer just eludes me.
We first learned of the Black Soulstone in D3. But, Jered Cain believed that Zoltun Kulle began creating the Black Soulstone after the 3 Prime Evils were imprisoned in the original Soulstones and he had built his Archive. Jered Cain had passed away before D1 began.

In D1, Adria had just arrived in Tristram. Only then, we did not know what her ultimate plan was.

09/06/2018 03:36 PMPosted by Pachanga
How did the 3 prime evils and 2 of the lesser ones got trapped in the Black Soulstone before Zoltun Kulle finished it?
They didn't. My guess is Zoltun Kulle finished the Black Soulstone sometime within the 20 years between D2 and D3.
...the souls of the five already defeated Great Evils (the Lessers Andariel and Duriel and the Primes Diablo, Mephisto and Baal) had been drawn into the Black Soulstone the moment it was finished.
In D3 we trap the last two Prime Evils, Belial and Azmodan.

The Black Soulstone: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Soulstone
09/06/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Perusoe
My guess is Zoltun Kulle finished the Black Soulstone sometime within the 20 years between D2 and D3

I don't think so. Kulle was killed and his archive was sealed by his fellow Horadrim. In D2 we know that Deckard Cain was the last of the Horadrim. There shouldn't be any Horadrim aside from Cain.

The stone was finished some time after the hunt for the Three. The Horadrims living at this time were Kulle's former comrades, they knew how capable and dangerous Kulle was. Upon learning about the stone, they gathered up to stop him. Kulle already finished but he put so much power into making the stone so he was defeated and his archive got sealed.
09/07/2018 03:00 AMPosted by Kazi
09/06/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Perusoe
My guess is Zoltun Kulle finished the Black Soulstone sometime within the 20 years between D2 and D3

I don't think so. Kulle was killed and his archive was sealed by his fellow Horadrim.
I didn't think about this. I probably should have said that the first 5 Evils were drawn into the Black Soulstone when it was activated, which was after Zoltun Kulle "finished" it. But then, it was, just "my guess". (Thanks for the clarification).

My point was that the 5 Evils were drawn into the Black Soulstone after D2 and before D3. So we still needed to only capture Belial and Azmodan.
Adria mentioned that she spent 20 years in "marking" the evils, so that their essence can be sealed in the soulstone once it's finished.

How she exactly did that is still a mystery to this day since blizzard hasn't given a clear and detailed explanation.

So there are only assumptions. My guess is that the evils left some magical traits of their essence when their physical form was destroyed. Adria tracked down these traits and "marked" them.