Anybody else bummed by necro's dmg mitigation options?

General Discussion
Have you tried LoN pet thorns necro? Think I get 1 billion toughness with LoN defense bonus, dayntee, aquila, 3million hp, and more. So maybe try a build like that if you want no issues with survivability. Btw it gets even stronger in density, so the higher GR you go, the more monsters you can curse, and your thorns can rise to the millions, which all of your pets get 200% of. Anyway, just saying, necro does have defensive and tank builds while maintaining kill speed, if you have the mind for them. Good luck :)

I think my character Prometheus has the build if you need ideas.
09/27/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Lobsterbash
easy to maintain without this incredible degree of micromanagement required

Necro do need to maintain a degree of micromanagement to keep up mitigation. This is due to the sheer dmg a necro possesses. You cant be super tanky without micromanagement yet able to 1 shot most 110+ elite packs. Some kind of balance needs to be there.

You have to basically learn the build. At first, you are reacting to situations, as you gain experience, you begin to anticipate situations and act proactively. This is when necro will feel smooth to you.

Basically you need to hide behind you mages. You also need to learn mob types and tile sets. Use environment to shield your incoming dmgs.

I dont usually push solo as my times are all committed in group GR. My crusader finished 110 in 12 mins. My necro finished 110 in 8 mins. Both had 0 deaths. My crusader hrs are 4-5x than necro hours. I am an absolutely necro noob interms of solo. Its the GR knowledge gained from zbarb that allowed me to be "tanky"

Also, it doesnt hurt to dump bit more vit into your toon. Something like 800k wont hurt your dps.

Each class has strength and weaknesses. You cant simply envy the mitigation systems other classes possesses. Other class would also envy necro's ability to 1 shot 128 4p RG as well. The weaknesses are trade offs.
09/27/2018 03:49 PMPosted by celtic08
easy to maintain without this incredible degree of micromanagement required

Necro do need to maintain a degree of micromanagement to keep up mitigation. This is due to the sheer dmg a necro possesses. You cant be super tanky without micromanagement yet able to 1 shot most 110+ elite packs. Some kind of balance needs to be there.

You have to basically learn the build. At first, you are reacting to situations, as you gain experience, you begin to anticipate situations and act proactively. This is when necro will feel smooth to you.

Basically you need to hide behind you mages. You also need to learn mob types and tile sets. Use environment to shield your incoming dmgs.

I dont usually push solo as my times are all committed in group GR. My crusader finished 110 in 12 mins. My necro finished 110 in 8 mins. Both had 0 deaths. My crusader hrs are 4-5x than necro hours. I am an absolutely necro noob interms of solo. Its the GR knowledge gained from zbarb that allowed me to be "tanky"

Also, it doesnt hurt to dump bit more vit into your toon. Something like 800k wont hurt your dps.

Each class has strength and weaknesses. You cant simply envy the mitigation systems other classes possesses. Other class would also envy necro's ability to 1 shot 128 4p RG as well. The weaknesses are trade offs.

Good perspective, thanks.
“Pestilence is not for GRs”

What are you smoking...
Necro is not a glass cannon. Learn to play, noob.
Necro isn't the only class with damage mitigation issues. So no, I'm not really worried about it, considering how powerful we are.
09/27/2018 12:32 PMPosted by Lobsterbash
Enemies that are cursed usually immediately die

The obvious question I have then is this: What is the problem? If the enemies die so fast why are you posting? Dead enemies don't kill you, so mitigation isn't an issue.
09/28/2018 07:37 AMPosted by DonMartin
09/27/2018 12:32 PMPosted by Lobsterbash
Enemies that are cursed usually immediately die

The obvious question I have then is this: What is the problem? If the enemies die so fast why are you posting? Dead enemies don't kill you, so mitigation isn't an issue.

Again, because it's impossible to curse every enemy you engage. It works out that no matter how much cursing you throw around, some will not be cursed and will get hits in while zero curses are active. Having to manually renew a "do not die" bonus (that is a separate action from your damage dealing) works poorly in practice in many situations, like barracks maps and any rift heavy on scattered or ranged enemies. And Necro has two of these to juggle simultaneously.
Respectfully, maybe the Necromancer isn't for you.
09/28/2018 09:25 AMPosted by DonMartin
Respectfully, maybe the Necromancer isn't for you.

Nah. Now I'm intrigued and want to explore why so many think this class is an OP cakewalk.
You should compare the classes at paragon 600 and without upgraded gear. The maximum you can reach there is much more telling then with gear filled with upgraded gems and a hard grinded paragon level.
The problem is that most necro builds use offhands as just stat sticks when the similar classes (wiz and wd) have offhands that offer utility, often damage reduction. If only necro had something similar to Henri´s mojo the 1shot bonanza would be less painful
Try Aquila Cuirass or Golemskin Breeches paired with Dayntee. Also you always have the option of using Rathma's Shield passive with Simulacrum and Land of the Dead just to be sure.

Dayntee's binding: one of the go-to recommendation for mitigation, but let's be honest: this is extremely unreliable and difficult to maintain.

Why is it hard to cast an initiation curse before combat?

Bone armor: the other go-to recommendation for mitigation, also extremely unreliable.

True. Hence why Dayntee exists, else you have to count on Aquila or Golemskin.

Stand Alone passive: ok if you happen to have a build that does not use minions.

Just use Command Skeletons-Kill Command or Devour-Ruthless to get rid of your minions. In case you use Golem for fun, they always dissolve on demand unless you use Decay Golem. Final Service passive also gets rid of your minions to heal you when you take a fatal blow once, which you benefit from Stand Alone passive again for a short while.

09/27/2018 03:03 PMPosted by Lobsterbash
I read that it doesn't help if you take too much damage at one time (i.e. 1-shot) as it just overrides the low-health bonus.

Simple, you use blood cost spells. Simulacrum or Blood Rush paired with Blood is Power passive are good examples to put Lornelle's ring to use .

Esoteric Alteration gem: one-shot by fast melee, spears, etc while trying to keep bone armor up or curses down.

Chargers are melee physical damage, spears are ranged physical damage. Esoteric only grants protection against non-physical damage. If you check leaderboards I do believe you'll realize why people have reduced damage from ranged and physical resistance at their secondary affixes.