Been playing D2

General Discussion
So I've been playing D2, and I have to say, it's still an incredible game. Still holds up, even at 800x600 resolution. I am surprised how many people still play, I had little problems trading obscure stuff like a Perfect Gem for an Io rune. All the runs (trist, tomb, chaos, baal) are still there, as are the more loot focused runs like The Pit or Frigid Highlands/Pindleskin. I'm only Act 3 Nightmare with a level 49 Bone Necro, but ya.

Would be incredible if they remastered this game (literally just enable current day resolution scaling and that's pretty much all they need to do...maybe make gold auto pickup too). It's sad how much of this game was cut from Diablo 3. Why did they get rid of the player lobby and ability to create your own games? I'll never understand that one, it's a pure step backwards. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm still having a blast playing D2, nearly 2 decades later. Honestly it really isn't even a surprise.
Same here.
Btw when does the ladder reset?
No... no it doesn't still hold up. There are a few areas of D2 that are better than D3. Itemization / Affixes / Gear is better and the Skill system is better... but there are too many quality of life changes made to the genre that I can't ignore. ie: clicking on gold to pick it up.. also don't care for the potion belt in D2...

... AND THE 800x600 DEFINATELY DOESN'T HOLD UP.
Looking back at D2, you can see the difference of quality vs quantity compared to garbage like D3 and DI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=layjWs2IpS4

I'm listening to this right now. Just listen to it and you can feel like you're on a cold, hopeless mountaintop with people who have culture and are native to Harrogath and Arreat.

You do not ONCE ever get that atmospheric feeling in D3's soundtrack. (Only Malthael's fight theme in RoS was great)
11/13/2018 09:49 AMPosted by CrazyCanuck
No... no it doesn't still hold up. There are a few areas of D2 that are better than D3. Itemization / Affixes / Gear is better and the Skill system is better... but there are too many quality of life changes made to the genre that I can't ignore. ie: clicking on gold to pick it up.. also don't care for the potion belt in D2...

... AND THE 800x600 DEFINATELY DOESN'T HOLD UP.

Hey uh, did you read my post? That was literally the only thing they need to change is the resolution and possibly gold pickup, LOL. Even still, not like I pick up most gold piles anyway, just not worth it when you can sell single item for 35,000 gold and most piles where I'm at are like 200g. Champions drop like 1500 so that's worth clicking but otherwise, non issue. But ya wow, I don't think you even read my OP lol
i restart playing d2 and just have a blast
d2 is really perfect , i will love to have only a update graphic :)
Another point that is bad imo is the shared loot. While it might fit some guys in terms of rogue'ish playstyle I prefer to have my own loot.
The netcode also seems somewhat improvable...I had every once in a while situations where I was backported some distance.
In terms of graphics 800x600 is really YUCK on a 4k monitor. I used multires but with such high resolutions you end up with a huge viewport which decreases feeling of surprise as you can see enemies miles away :D Also the char animation is somewhat outdated. They basically walk like they have some stick pushed into their butts. You have to click around any small stone on the ground to not get stuck...it simply feels bad to me. So if all those points get addressed I would maybe even play D2 again if its not too expensive.
i still play d2, i wish blizz would make pluggY part of the base game :D
11/13/2018 10:13 AMPosted by AlKatiba
Another point that is bad imo is the shared loot. While it might fit some guys in terms of rogue'ish playstyle I prefer to have my own loot.
The netcode also seems somewhat improvable...I had every once in a while situations where I was backported some distance.
In terms of graphics 800x600 is really YUCK on a 4k monitor. I used multires but with such high resolutions you end up with a huge viewport which decreases feeling of surprise as you can see enemies miles away :D Also the char animation is somewhat outdated. They basically walk like they have some stick pushed into their butts. You have to click around any small stone on the ground to not get stuck...it simply feels bad to me. So if all those points get addressed I would maybe even play D2 again if its not too expensive.

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. Just kind of the way it is when a game is 18 years old though. That is why so many fans have been whining for a remaster so long.

Still is pretty playable for me and obviously others as it still has relatively active users on Battlenet whenever I get bored and play around with it. Its a great game just lacking modern features because its almost 2 decades old.
I can forgive the shortcomings as its 18 years old but yes gold pickup and resolutions would be 2 of the short list of things it needs. Another is stash issue but after that theres not much to complain about. Im playing it now and have played it more than D3 since D3 came out because thats how good D3 was
Similar to D3, D2 has infinite replay value; the reason people still play D2 is because there’s an actual economy and PVP that keeps the economy relevant.

If they ever come out with a diablo 4, pvp and an economy are crucial.
11/13/2018 10:13 AMPosted by AlKatiba
Wha do you mean by multires? Have you increased yor resolution beyond 800 x 600? How? I have 4k monitor too and 800x600 is unplayable.
@Garret99
Yes, I agree. For a game of that age its still top notch in several aspects.Usability is none of those though.
There are a few other things i would love from D3 none are critical to any D2 remake but would be nice such as individual drop (bots/pick it grabbers always get all lot casuals have to solo find their loot) a gem storage system, and the last is being able to macro skills to qwer for example so you have pots on 1-2-3-4 and then tleport on right click and q is orb w is shiver armor etc
11/13/2018 10:35 AMPosted by redcore
Wha do you mean by multires? Have you increased yor resolution beyond 800 x 600? How? I have 4k monitor too and 800x600 is unplayable.

Its a mod you can use to increase the res to full hd. Just don't use it in battle.net as you risk a ban.
Auto gold pickup would be useful, but not in the way you would think. It would make it faster to pick up all the gold near you so you can see more items on the screen.

Auto gold pickup would be as useful as just hiding gold piles less than 10k. There are some loot filters that do this. There are some mods that fix most of the games problems already out there, that adds things like Shift + Right Click to send items to the stash, Charm Inventory space, Player 8 loot always being on, Mouse locked to window, Etc.

Vanilla LoD is still very playable though, I'd just recommend having another copy of the game to Mule items which sucks.
Things I hate with D2:
Pointless illusion of choice stats system.
Potion spam, TP, refill, repeat gameplay.
Stash space doesn't even exist.
Reroll if you want to try out a new build or realized you !@#$ed up.
Infinite Baal runs until you die of boredom or get a teleporting hammerbot to do it for you.
11/13/2018 11:56 AMPosted by KuraiDedman
Things I hate with D2:
Pointless illusion of choice stats system.
Potion spam, TP, refill, repeat gameplay.
Stash space doesn't even exist.
Reroll if you want to try out a new build or realized you !@#$ed up.
Infinite Baal runs until you die of boredom or get a teleporting hammerbot to do it for you.

I agree with the stat system mostly, but there are some real choices.
Potion spam is real at lower levels, less so at higher levels.
Stash space I agree.

The reroll a character isn't even a thing anymore. You get 3 free resets, plus you can get additional ones from bosses if you collect all 4 items. This is probably the most uninformed point a lot of people make that isn't even a real issue these days.

Diablo 2 also actually has choices. You can MF in over 20 locations. You can level while MFing pretty well. Doing Baal runs all day and getting bored is an issue you make for yourself. Not sure if you are a Diablo 3 fan, but in Diablo 3 all you do is Rift all day, more so than doing Baal Runs.
11/13/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Cooler
Doing Baal runs all day and getting bored is an issue you make for yourself. Not sure if you are a Diablo 3 fan, but in Diablo 3 all you do is Rift all day, more so than doing Baal Runs.

Pretty much nailed it. Both endgames are pretty similar.
I still have hope in the franchise.