Blizzcon 2018

Console Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
I've followed articles and reaction since the Blizzcon & Diablo Fiasco. I found one from of all places...Variety....with the title of....

Blizzard on ‘Diablo Immortal’: Fan Reaction Came Through ‘Loud and Clear’

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/diablo-immortal-blizzard-1203023777/

But two paragraphs stood out ……

“So we’ve seen some interesting reaction to the announcement,” Brack said during the Activision Blizzard third-quarter earnings call. “I think that it’s clear that there are a lot of players who are eager for more Diablo PC and console content. I think that came through loud and clear from BlizzCon. And frankly, we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so much about that franchise. The commitment and the engagement of our community is, I think, one of the things that makes Blizzard very special. It’s something that we really appreciate, and we like to hear the things that they articulate as to what they want to hear next and what we can do better, frankly.”

...but what it looks like their focus will be....

Brack went on to say that he believes mobile is a significant opportunity for the Diablo franchise.
“Mobile is the biggest platform in gaming today,” he said. “And taking a game like mobile onto that platform in a way that is really reflecting our quality standards I think can really open a lot of – it can open that franchise and other franchises to a global audience, including people who don’t have PCs, or especially in China where Blizzard is a very, very strong western brand.”

One only has to search Blizzard and NetEase….my take is they want to spend more time on expanding the Mobile Game market using what games they have especially in the Asian Market where it's far bigger than PC and Console base. Hence the announcement of Imortal…….
That first paragraph from variety is simply generic management talk. Take out the name Diablo and add any game. It's generic at best.

The second is them going back on what they just said "we like the passion from our fans"

Then they say "we think mobile is the biggest platform in gaming today".

Perhaps more people play mobile however a game like diablo shouldn't be on mobile. At least not a tentpole title like they are saying DI is.

Just because people play mobile doesn't mean it's the future. Doesn't mean it's appropriate for a legit Diablo game.

Only thing I got from that article is they hear us, but they don't care.

Acti/Blizz think they are going to be pioneers in this decision but they are killing their brand in spectacular fashion.

What a shame.
The only thing that has any real impact on management decisions is the stock price. The managers in ANY publicly traded company are really *required* to make money for their investors.

Keeping a loyal, happy customer base has traditionally been a good way to make money but that's the only reason they do it...$$$. In this case, someone thinks there's more money to be made by making mobile games. And if it makes them a bucket of cash, they're right. They only care about the existing customer base if the new game doesn't make money and *at the same time* it costs them their existing customers.

I guess I'm saying, I understand why they did it. We, as customers, can vote with our wallets. If we own Blizzard stock, we can sell it.

As an aside, I was looking at buying a copy of Diablo 1 for PS1, since the only version I own is on PC and I think this franchise plays better with a controller. I wonder if Blizzard realizes that copies of D1 and D2 are starting to cost a whole bunch more money lately. D1 for PS1 costs at least 125 dollars used, in good condition. New, it runs over 300 bucks. SOMEONE is buying these older games. Remaster, anyone???
There is a used book store by me that also carries dvds, cds, games and a ton of other stuff.

I keep seeing Diablo 1 on Playstation. They're selling it for about 30 bones
go ahead & make diablo on mobile or Ps1 or Atari for whatever that Blizz thinks is more profitable

but the problem is they announce it at blizzcon after years of hype, "the fires are burning hot" "we have multiple Diablo project" "we might have something for Diablo later this year"

We get Diablo Immortal :(

it is not difficult seriously just make a 15second trailer of diablo IV of whatever trees or broken weapon or blood spilling or shadow or just a burning logo of unfinish DVI logo

Show Druid or Amazon picture dun even need a video/trailer like Necro just a poster if it is so hard or time consuming for graphics just show "black shadow" of Druid/Amazon or whatever class saying 2019 DLC for D3 (well take your time to work on that DLC to finish up the art/look/skills you can launch that on Dec 2019 it is still 2019 or ditch the DLC if there is no hype or when every1 is playing DI )

Jolly well take 1 hour to discuss DI & stuff when Diablo fans is leaving or hostile question getting answer (just show suddenly the 15sec broken DVI video at the back)

when everyone is asking D4 just announce "it is in the making no date yet" than show the poster of whatever class DLC & say but 2019 you guys will be getting this while waiting D4

Would it change anything ?? It is not hard on Blizzcon with their resources & pretty much effortless for a 15sec video of no substance & a poster of shadow class(black n white with 2019 LOL)
I absolutely agree. The way this announcement was handled was such a huge miscalculation that I am very concerned about ANYTHING this management team is planning. What the HELL were they thinking???? The kind of gamers who are willing to pay big bucks to go to Blizzcon are the absolute LAST audience who'd accept this announcement happily.

I was a software developer myself for almost 40 years, and I can't count the number of times I was instructed to do something I knew was dumb and that the end-user would hate. When you work for someone else, sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and do as you are told. And yes, I also know what it feels like to have the end-user say to you, 'This feature is idiotic. Why did you include it?'

Those poor devs at Blizzcon didn't like it either. Anyone with the slightest ability to read body language could see that.
Anyone notice that Elder Scrolls - Blades is a mobile direction for there game franchise? Blizzard is seeing what is coming and is trying to adapt. Like it or not the markets shifting and for big companies that means shifting with them.
Not sure what happened. Nems cannot post here. So he won't be coming back.
11/14/2018 01:56 PMPosted by Nicodeimous
Anyone notice that Elder Scrolls - Blades is a mobile direction for there game franchise? Blizzard is seeing what is coming and is trying to adapt. Like it or not the markets shifting and for big companies that means shifting with them.

Yeah, and they showed a trailer for Elder Scrolls 6 at the same time, completely different in how the events were handled. You never forget the fans that made you what you are.
Event handling aside - the point is the direction A list companies are going.
11/15/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Nicodeimous
Event handling aside - the point is the direction A list companies are going.

Does not make it right. Loot boxes are a thing too, how did that work out for Star Wars Battlefront II? Backlash, killed their sales, tons of players returning the game, others left, never to come back, even after adjusting the loot system. The damage had been done. Konami jumped completely in the pool on mobile, crap company now, killing their great library of IPs. Backlash can have devastating results, and you are seeing it reflected in stock prices, etc. There is no heart put into mobile games, pumped out to drain the casuals wallets, and I am glad Diablo fans spoke up.