Is mobile really the future of gaming?

General Discussion
Do you guys think that mobile really is the future of gaming? That consoles and powerful PCs will finally be replace by mobile within a few years? Do you guys want to be a part of the gaming industry if that happens?
i can't look at a 6in screen for hours i would go blind
Nope
Mobile is already the largest gaming platform.
No. Modern phones are a subpar platform for prolonged gaming. They don't have the hardware or the battery to play a mechanically dense game for hours; even the switch had enough foresight to throw in the docking platform to play it on reasonably sized screen.

While there's nothing inherently wrong with mobile games, they are a different type of game. They are much, much simpler games designed to be played in short sessions. Mobile is not the proper platform for a game that could require upwards of a couple hours to play through a single portion. Mobile games are effectively "facebook games" for anyone who remembers FB back in ~2010; they're very low concept and can be played for 5-15 minutes at a time.
11/06/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Jinx
Mobile is already the largest gaming platform.

But will mobile replace consoles and gaming PCs within a few years? Thats the million dollar question.
IMHO, mobile is just one of the "Option" for gaming.

Might not be the best option, but still an option. Players choose what platform they are most comfortable to game with according to the game they play or about to play.

D3 for instance, though available on console, i find it most comfortable to play on my pc, hence i choose pc.

And having options is way way better than not having any option at all.
No, its impossible. Not without a seismic shift in how developers monetize their games and that just isn't going to happen. Some may argue that F2P is the only viable means of monetization, and that we have only ourselves to blame because of piracy, but I don't really think thats it. I think MTX just generates too much free effortless revenue, significantly more than a buy once and that's it.

The second issue that I see is that virtual controls just f'n suck. There is simply no virtual UI anywhere that will make on screen controls not suck. Physical hardware buttons are a requirement for anything that I would consider "real" gaming.

Using a mouse and keyboard on Fortnite for Android would be like shooting fish in a barrel, its just eye opening how bad the controls are. It's not, I guess terrible, since everyone is hobbled with the handicap, but it still sucks. For the record, I don't play Fortnite, I've just watched some streams on twitch and have seen some clips of fortnite being played on android. Even a casual observer can see that its a night and day difference in play experience.

Mobile has no future in gaming, unless its like the Switch, where you have physical hardware controls.
No it isn't. But a good portion of people in the world do not own a high end gaming PC. So they use phones for entertainment. Bli$$ is just chasing every dollar they can get their hands on. Don't blame them. But using the biggest game convention for a stand alone cell phone game is just really dumb. Plus they did not even make it. lol
No, mobile gaming is the past.

Nintendo Game Boy sales: 118.69 Million units sold.
Nintendo Super NES (worldwide): 49.10 Million units sold.

I was staggered by this difference as a child cause I personally wanted more Power!!!

Hardcore gamers will tell you graphics don't matter too.

All the data just says, mobile make more happy happy.
Until phones have batteries that can withstand the processing requirements high powered games like these need, they won't be "mobile" at all. Even low end phone games chew through the battery pretty quickly and sitting there playing your phone while it's plugged in is lame and damages the battery further.
I wouldn't say it's the future. There will always be a market for PC and console games. That being said, mobile gaming is a HUGE industry. 50% of global game revenue is mobile. I HATE the way Blizzard announced this game and it made zero sense. I don't fault them for getting into the mobile market though. They do risk tarnishing their brand though. There are a lot of Diablo clones on mobile. Diablo: Immortal will probably be the best one. Their brand has historically been PC first (outside of games like Lost Vikings).
In Asia maybe? I am a Chinese gamer, and mobile games (sad as it is to say) are huge here.

My colleagues are already making plans to play Diablo Immortal. It's scary.
11/06/2018 09:48 PMPosted by NightRaven
Do you guys think that mobile really is the future of gaming?

nope, absolutely isn't. VR however shows big potential.
11/06/2018 09:57 PMPosted by NightRaven
But will mobile replace consoles and gaming PCs within a few years?

No, definitely not. They'll co-exist and PC should always be the best platform for the most immersive games.

Having said that, I've always been a PC gamer but I'm really enjoying D3 on the Switch in portable mode, so that surprised me. :)

Also playing RDR2 on PS4 and longing for it to release on PC as think that'd be a better experience.
Do you guys think that mobile really is the future of gaming? That consoles and powerful PCs will finally be replace by mobile within a few years? Do you guys want to be a part of the gaming industry if that happens?

yes it is. look at population projections in less developed countries, and you will see why activision is engaging those markets.

quantity > quality

affirmative action > you

we are a dying breed. sad to say but gamers like us will do not matter any more.

it's all about numbers and we just don't add up any more.
It's gonna be laptops or MS Surface...but not phone.
Yes, of course mobile is the future of gaming, saying it isn't is just denial. No-one will sit in front of these massive hunk of plastic dinosaurs in 20-30 years. When small screens are no longer sufficient, it will be retinal projection and VR and when touch screens no longer offers any more control schemes it will be neurologically controlled. Of course this is going to happen.

But mayyybee... you should refrain from alienating your core consumer group and take them for granted, peddling a consumer unfriendly solution to a problem that needen't be solved. Mobile gaming will come along just fine without exploiting a market outside your niche, wringing out every ounce of good will you have in the process.

What Blizzard has done is in my opinion inexcusable, tugging the rug under their loyal fans feet for, frankly no good reason at all.
11/06/2018 10:16 PMPosted by VeryBrutalJK
Do you guys think that mobile really is the future of gaming?

nope, absolutely isn't. VR however shows big potential.

VR's biggest hurdle is a competent gamepad; ideally, the player's body would be that gamepad. The dream is getting a matrix-esque usb dock installed in the back of your head, but that's not going to happen in my lifetime.
a mobile "game" will NEVER have:
-the story of an actual game
-the graphics of an actual game
-the dedicated fanbase of an actual game
-the substance/depth of an actual game

This is the new mindset at Blizzard: Why spend millions on making a quality game when you can spend thousands to just churn out crappy mobile games?

the VAST mobile "games" are nothing more than flash-in-the-pan pay-to-win money grabbers that are played by people with more dollars than sense.