What would you pay for a "true" D4 game?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
Anywhere from 60-80$ US. There is so much to consider with an initial price though. From this point on, IMO there will be no games released without a way to make more money after the initial purchase. I definitely do not want an AH again that the player is forced into using if they want to attain end game gear.

Cosmetic additions for extra money would be fine by me. I would even be willing to pay a monthly subscription fee of anywhere from 5-15$(like WOW) if it meant more special events and maintenance for the game, and faster turnaround on major patches and expansions.

Something else that concerns me is the need for a PC game to be able to go cross platform to consoles and the fact the devs want the game to be playable by a younger player base. There is no doubt in my mind that the development and ultimate implementation of D3 was affected adversely by the plans to port to console. The devs also want 15 year old Billy’s religious parents to be okay with their son playing a game about the legions of Hell.

Do I want to see a Diablo 4? Yes, for sure, but I am very doubtful the same lightning caught in a bottle they made D1 and D2 with is possible to catch again for another release. They merely caught storm clouds for D3, and that simply will not be enough this time around.
Zero. Now as for extra character packs, maybe $15 a pop. And stash tabs, $5 a pop.

But I want basically a HotS style game where I get it for free and get one character and one stash to play with, and if I want more, I buy more. But I want my choice of the first free character I unlock.
For a true D4 that gave me the same satisfaction and longevity that d1 and d2 gave me? Around $80 and I fully plan to wait for reviews and lets plays before I blindly buy another blizzard product ever again. The name used to be a sign of quality but now it's just a warning.
If I got what I felt was a true sequel to the Diablo with what I feel the game needs to succeed, I'd pay $60CAD at most.

As magicalfetus said, I'd wait to see how reviews and general opinion of friends are before I would consider buying it. I used to buy Blizzard games without a hesitation. After D3 and how it was handled at Blizzcon, that will no longer be the case.
60$ at most.
Even 80 euros for a non-in-beta game
If it will still be pay-once style and after sale service will be as good as D3, I will pay the same as D3. Or higher if inflation is taken into account :)
11/11/2018 09:43 AMPosted by Requiem
When I say "true" Diablo 4 game, I mean a dark, gritty game with deep customization and an intriguing story.

The standard price for a AAA-game has been $60 for over 15 years now. It hasn't kept up with inflation so logically publishers are trying to compensate by selling more copies of every game. This is largely responsible for the "dumbing down" or "casualization" that has taken place among many beloved franchises.

If Blizzard actually created the Diablo 4 game that I think everyone on this forum wants, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Personally, if it meant a dark Diablo game with zero MTXs, I would spend $100 on it with zero qualms.

How about you?

Inflation my !@#, who has made video games more expensive? THE AAA COMPANIES, nobody asked them to spend millions of dollars into marketing, nobody asked them to create real life graphics and constantly make new engines, the blame is on the AAA companies, they can plead poverty all they want but if sponsorships, lootbox gambling, microtransactions, 6-8 special editions and pre order bonuses aren't enough to stay in business then you have no business doing business in this business.

and spoiler alert, games already don't cost 60 euro, if you pay 60 euro for a AAA game you get the bare bones edition, if you want the FULL game it would cost around 100-120 euro depending on how much they price the season pass for.

60 euro a fine price for games, if anything making games is becoming cheaper, as more and more people buy games digitally the need to bargain with retailers and create physical disks and editions goes down and so does the cost of that
At this point $0. Either it's free or I don't have the confidence to try it.
My immortal soul.
Games haven't costed 60$ for a long time now. The initial entry pass may, but a complete AAA game will set you back at least 100$. They keep this illusion because they know they can get away with slicing games to pieces to resell as "new" content shortly after release, plus whatever microtransactions they can bolt to the thing. It is not something Blizzard does, though.

Very few companies actually develop worthwhile DLC nowadays, honestly. It's often bits and pieces of the full package. We haven't seen many good expansions lately, tbh. The Witcher 3 may be the last time I saw an expansion worth it's price. Two massive ones worth far more than many standalone games, in fact. We just don't see that kind of thing anymore, and it sucks.

For an eventual D4, I'd rather have something like what GGG does with PoE. A f2p game with cosmetic direct purchases and stash space expansions. They already do it and have kept the project going for years while delivering massive content updates, so it's not like it can't be done.
11/12/2018 07:01 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
Games haven't costed 60$ for a long time now. The initial entry pass may, but a complete AAA game will set you back at least 100$. They keep this illusion because they know they can get away with slicing games to pieces to resell as "new" content shortly after release, plus whatever microtransactions they can bolt to the thing. It is not something Blizzard does, though.

Very few companies actually develop worthwhile DLC nowadays, honestly. It's often bits and pieces of the full package. We haven't seen many good expansions lately, tbh. The Witcher 3 may be the last time I saw an expansion worth it's price. Two massive ones worth far more than many standalone games, in fact. We just don't see that kind of thing anymore, and it sucks.

For an eventual D4, I'd rather have something like what GGG does with PoE. A f2p game with cosmetic direct purchases and stash space expansions. They already do it and have kept the project going for years while delivering massive content updates, so it's not like it can't be done.

I agree, games as a service is definitely the new business model in gaming and I think Blizzard really missed the mark by not having Diablo 3 follow this model. At one point people were practically begging the devs to sell extra stash slots. Vanity items would have been a huge seller. I'm totally fine with it as long as it doesn't impact gameplay. If done correctly it would have extended the life of Diablo 3.
If it's another D3 failure 0. If it's a true D2 type game or something that is comparable 50-100 give or take. I would also buy into an Alpha if it was offered for additional money.
But let's not kid ourselves I don't see it happening. I am sure they are seething about us right now. It's been over a week and no response from Blizzard. What does that tell you how they view us. I would guess with a little hatred we didn't buy into a mobile game.
Blizzard used to be a company that I would just blindly buy titles from because their product was ALWAYS going to be good. Always. Now, I'd rather buy cat food for a cat that I don't have.

I don't trust them. I don't trust their business tactics. I don't trust their vision of the future. Blizzard is metamorphosing into a new entity, one that resembles nothing of its former self. The sad part? We've seen this coming for years now, and refused to believe it.
Grim dawn and poe exist because blizzard is not capable of making a true Diablo.
If it has a constant stream of new content I would pay a subscription.
Otherwise - $60-70
Lets be real though, it doesn't really matter if they sell the initial game for $60, $80 or whatever. They want continuous revenue.
Microtransactions is Blizzards chosen method. Hopefully they do it right at least (as in PoE right)

Though I could see a very profitable future for Blizzard if they made a "Blizzard Pass", giving access to all their games for a monthly fee.
It is a bit weird if they aren't already considering that.
70€
This seems like a 2 part question. Just for the game itself? I'll just pay standard amount. Now if the question was pay for a game to have it done your way (my way), yeah I would pay more to have a game done my way than I know I will enjoy.
Their overhead is so low for distribution on PC that anything over $80 US would be gouging.
They already swindled $65 from my virtual ticket, In my eyes I've already paid 3/4's the price of a Top AAA Tier Game.