Diablo Immortal... Really That Bad?

General Discussion
Isn’t this already the experience of Diablo 3? It’s quite apparent that trade offs were immediately made. 4 player max in games. Limited amount of bindable skills (odd that it almost aligns perfectly with a console setup). Limited social features. Small zones. Easy menus; Click Adventure, Set Torment, and Start the game. It’s obvious that this was never a PC experience in the first place.

So why the outrage now? Where was the outrage when the game was releasing? I remember arguing with so many people about how crappy 4 player games would be and the weird limit on bindable skills. Well, this is exactly what you all happily accepted when this game was release. You all said oh its fine. You’re making a big deal out of nothing. Well, Diablo Immortal is really just the full realization of bringing Diablo to the mass market. Diablo 3 started the trend and players accepted, but now they’re so outraged when it’s going to go to a mobile device as if the platform matters at this point. The limitations at the start could easily be read and understood to mean console game. It’s obvious that a mobile game would come next.

I feel bad for Blizzard. It’s kind of like when a kid begs for something and the parent gives them it, and then the parent finally says no and the kid is surprised and angry. I’m looking forward to the mobile/console experience that is Diablo 3 being where it belongs.
@Cesium
You really don't get it
/facepalm/
11/21/2018 11:04 PMPosted by Cesium
It’s kind of like when a kid begs for something and the parent

Nobody asked for it but China. Game removed a key character and Witch Doctor from the main roster for "reasons unknown". Game became a PG edition from M for Mature rated to appeal to kids playing a game about demonic siblings. It will don a monetization model mayhaps taken from a predatory '15 patent to prey on kids' credit card.
Mobile devices are not made for games even if they have multiple processors; they overheat, have a small 6-8" wide screen, harmful to eyes (lately China wanna address this) and games eat battery life while you supposed to receive calls.

Blizzard started everything by making this Blizzcon a huge bait-and-switch moment by announcing multiple projects but announce only one game catering to their specific market infront of a worldwide audience.
Of course people who spent on hotels, plane and Blizzcon ticket were pissed to come all the way to hear news that cater to multiple bases. Those people could've buy a new phone or two with that money they spent on those expenses. You know? If only Blizzard would've give a hint, instead of lying.

Good on them, if they want new markets. Good on you if you gonna buy it but don't come here for advertisement as here's its own official forums until they open a new one.
11/21/2018 11:13 PMPosted by Infeldus
@Cesium
You really don't get it
/facepalm/

I’m looking forward to playing the game on the go. This game was created as a console/mobile game. Look at it. Diablo 3 is basically a mobile/console game. It was setup with this exact intention and it’s going to be great on mobile.

At the age of 30, why wouldn’t I want the game on my phone?
11/21/2018 11:14 PMPosted by Cesium
@Cesium
You really don't get it
/facepalm/

I’m looking forward to playing the game on the go. This game was created as a console/mobile game. Look at it. Diablo 3 is basically a mobile/console game. It was setup with this exact intention and it’s going to be great on mobile.

I agree that D3 Immortal is a reskinned Chinese game for phones
BUT
D3 original was not primarily designed for consoles. Origin is PC.

For a couple of months I played Eternium both on PC and Mobile phone. I have not spent any money in this game for P2W MTX things. (I burned myself on D3 RMAH about 1.7k$ - never again) That is why progress of the game was very very slow and boring.
Do you think that D3:I will be different if they put p2w in?

My age closes to half a century so just speaking from my own experience.

Good luck with playing on phone, I will just stick to PC for Diablo games :-)

P.S. Eng is not my native language, so excuse mistakes
11/21/2018 11:14 PMPosted by Cesium
@Cesium
You really don't get it
/facepalm/

At the age of 28, why would I want to play a game on my phone?

You honestly do not understand the issue, at all. Its not that difficult to comprehend. Diablo does not lend anything to being a console/mobile game. It is, and always will be primarily a PC franchise. There is nothing of Diablo III that translates to being mobile.

4 players max? How does this translate to mobile? You do understand the majority of us Diablo fans normally solo the games? There is a reason why we've been asking for Offline since launch.

Limited social features? Since when does having an MMO-Esque imitation of social features correlate to mobile? If anything I wish there were none of those half-baked features in the game.

Small zones? Its called pacing, or in the instance of Diablo III being quite linear. Zones range from average in size to being larger in scale. Again, how exactly does this correlate to mobile?

Easy Menus? Are you honestly trying to say that basic UI design means that its built for mobile? Do you have any idea what it is you are trying to get across? Why would anyone want complex and unintuitive UI design? Have you not booted up Diablo and Diablo II before? Basic and straightforward as they come.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You honestly do not understand the issue, at all. Its not that difficult to comprehend. Diablo does not lend anything to being a console/mobile game. It is, and always will be primarily a PC franchise. There is nothing of Diablo III that translates to being mobile.

4 players max? How does this translate to mobile? You do understand the majority of us Diablo fans normally solo the games? There is a reason why we've been asking for Offline since launch.

Limited social features? Since when does having an MMO-Esque imitation of social features correlate to mobile? If anything I wish there were none of those half-baked features in the game.

Small zones? Its called pacing, or in the instance of Diablo III being quite linear. Zones range from average in size to being larger in scale. Again, how exactly does this correlate to mobile?

Easy Menus? Are you honestly trying to say that basic UI design means that its built for mobile? Do you have any idea what it is you are trying to get across? Why would anyone want complex and unintuitive UI design? Have you not booted up Diablo and Diablo II before? Basic and straightforward as they come.

You played Diablo 2... solo? That sounds pretty horrible. I played an insane amount of Diablo 2... A game where you could bind tons of skills to your keyboard...... A game that was darker with larger zones than Diablo 3. Just because you don’t like what I’m saying doesn’t invalidate the conclusions.

4 Player Games / 4 Skills (A,B,X,Y) + 2 Trigger buttons -> Obviously consoles were the targeted platform for this game. Look at nearly ever decision that was implemented in Diablo 3. Pick up any MOBA or adventure game on a phone.... and you will immediately notice how similar they are.

If you believe the majority of Diablo fans that actually played Diablo 2 were solo players, you either didn’t play the game or don’t know what you’re talking about.
11/21/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Cesium

You played Diablo 2... solo? That sounds pretty horrible. I played an insane amount of Diablo 2... A game where you could bind tons of skills to your keyboard...... A game that was darker with larger zones than Diablo 3. Just because you don’t like what I’m saying doesn’t invalidity the conclusions.

4 Player Games / 4 Skills (A,B,X,Y) + 2 Trigger buttons -> Obviously consoles were the targeted console for this game. Look at nearly ever decision that was implemented in Diablo 3. Pick up any MOBA or adventure game on a phone.... and you will immediately notice how similar they are.

If you believe the majority of Diablo fans that actually played Diablo 2 were solo players, you either didn’t play the game or don’t know what you’re talking about.

Except I do? Pretty sure having played Diablo since 1997 and actively paying attention to Battlenet with several rooms for trading, PvP, or quick farm runs doesn't mean the majority were active through co-operative play.

Majority of my time in D2 was spent solo. How exactly is that terrible? Not everything needs to be played with others, and D2 was no different.

Keybinds, you say. Hmm.. Last I checked, especially with D2, how many active skills did you have going at once? Again, intuitive design, which D3 does have, does not have any relation to being mobile.

Again, how does intuitive design have anything to do with consoles and mobile? The most I can give to consoles is that they built the control scheme around the controller, after the fact. Does not impact PC in any negative way.

How exactly does MOBA have anything to do with Diablo in this argument? Also, why the hell would I want to even try a MOBA game on a phone? Terrible control scheme Vs. Mouse and Keyboard.
Had Blizzard announced Diablo 4, shown some sort of progress in its development, and THEN announced that there will be a side project aimed towards the mobile users called Immortal... the reaction wouldn't be like this.
11/22/2018 12:22 AMPosted by Porkie
Had Blizzard announced Diablo 4, shown some sort of progress in its development, and THEN announced that there will be a side project aimed towards the mobile users called Immortal... the reaction wouldn't be like this.

"Hey, that mobile game looks pretty decent. Know what? I'll give it a shot, especially if its free. Could be pretty good to kill some time while we wait for Diablo IV"

"Totally, my dude. Did you see that concept art for Diablo IV? Seems they are going back to the Gothic and dark aesthetics of Diablo I and Diablo II. But yeah, that Immortal game could be pretty decent time killer"
If you currently play on PC platform, why would ever want to downgrade yourself to mobile phone? For a gamer, everything on mobile phone is worse off compared to the PC experience except that its mobile.

These clueless people at Blizz sought to market a mobile phone game towards a heavily oriented PC crowd, biggest marketing goof I've seen in years. It basically spelled out how clueless they are towards the wants of their existing customers.

I'm not saying the move towards mobile is a bad move (remains to be seen how DI will fare with the casual market), but you are trying to market towards the wrong audience at Blizzcon.
11/22/2018 12:27 AMPosted by Freely
11/22/2018 12:22 AMPosted by Porkie

"Hey, that mobile game looks pretty decent. Know what? I'll give it a shot, especially if its free. Could be pretty good to kill some time while we wait for Diablo IV"

"Totally, my dude. Did you see that concept art for Diablo IV? Seems they are going back to the Gothic and dark aesthetics of Diablo I and Diablo II. But yeah, that Immortal game could be pretty decent time killer"

EXACTLY!

Still blows my mind how this mess happened.
11/22/2018 12:41 AMPosted by Porkie
11/22/2018 12:27 AMPosted by Freely

EXACTLY!

Still blows my mind how this mess happened.

Business suits are morons. How they managed to obtain a degree continues to astound me in this gaming industry.
I'm away from home at the moment. Was lying on the hotel couch bored last night thinking... y'know, I'd play a Diablo Mobile game right now since I don't have my gaming PC here. :)
11/22/2018 02:50 AMPosted by Jinx
I'm away from home at the moment. Was lying on the hotel couch bored last night thinking... y'know, I'd play a Diablo Mobile game right now since I don't have my gaming PC here. :)

That's why I have a gaming laptop, should the need arise.
OP, you are right that some of D3's features were dumbed-down to facilitate a future console port. However, I thing you are very wrong when you state that nobody complained about that. I'm pretty sure that I remember people being quite vocal about the 4-player limit, for instance.

Your conclusion is also incorrect. Just because D3 did something wrong, D:I should be allowed to do this same thing up to 11? That's not how it works.
I hoped they would learn from all the feedback on D3, the black sheep of the franchise, and would get back to some real Diablo experience for D4 (some other franchises like Doom went along a similar path).
D:I is proof that the exact opposite happened and that's why I'm pissed at it.