Tal Channeling feedback (way stronger than FB)

PTR Feedback 2.6.4
Context : I played Tal Meteor Shower this season, clearing a GR110 on Europe (it was the highest Tal clear of S15 when I did it, not sure if it still holds). I wanted to see if it can now be competitive against the current top build, FB starpact.

Using my S15 stuff, I was able to clear a GR119 on the PTR (and 120 should be possible with a little GR fishing, since the GR setup for 119 was very far from perfect) :
- without using the free RoRG
- with only 1700 paragons points assigned. Since I have pretty low augments (most of them are 100), I assume that it could be roughly equivalent to 1500 paragon (which means level 115 augments)
- with level 119-120 legendary gems.

If you check the current S15 leaderboard, this competes with the top #3 of each realms, with guys that are something like P2500 to P4000 with FB starpact. On Europe, the highest push with this kind of low paragon is only a GR 113 !
However :
- Tal channeling is way tankier and easier to play than FB starpact
- Tal starpact may be even more powerful (although it is a glass canon build which is harder to play)
- Tal starpact in team is probably a very strong build, since toughness concerns are adressed by zDPS supports, and a 12K % multiplier will surely outperform FB

Icing on the cake : Tal can really take advantage of the S16 free Rorg by adding the EW set, whereas FB will not get such a strong improvement.

Currently, I felt that FB is complete garbage compared to Tal, and I am not sure that it was the goal of the patch, I felt that Blizzard wanted to make all sets roughly equally good to improve diversity, which means that Tal probably deserve a nerf in the final version of the patch (maybe something like 2500% ?), or it will become the new meta.
Tal starpact would lose Arcane Attunement compare to firebird starpack. assume there is 30 mobs on the screen, it is equal to 120% damage bonus.
So for firebird the damage bonus is 4000*(1+1.2) is 8800%
Another factor is that Tal meteor shower build use teleport Calamity to trigger arcane damage. Since starpact is an arcane skill, wiz will lost another skill. I guess it will be magic weapon. That is another 10% decrease in damage. Unless, you are willing to play without any movement skill.

So that bring firebird to 9680% bonus vs tal rasha 12000% bonus
But firebird got 60% damage reduction, while Tal Rasha is only 100% all resistance
Tal is suppose to be the meteor set, and Firebirds is suppose to be the fire set, it makes sense that the meteor set does better with an arcane meteor than a fire set...
Also, remember Firebirds gets to use endless walk without season of grandeur which Tals cannot. So will likely still be superior to tals damage wise (outside of season of grandeur).
Sets shouldn't be nerfed based on outperformance with temporary RROG buff or they will be too weak once RROG buff is taken away and no balance will have been achieved. It's unfortunate that all PTR modes had the RROG buff turned on as it will probably skew the results.
11/27/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Mal
Sets shouldn't be nerfed based on outperformance with temporary RROG buff or they will be too weak once RROG buff is taken away and no balance will have been achieved. It's unfortunate that all PTR modes had the RROG buff turned on as it will probably skew the results.

That's why I tried to test without the RORG, only speculating of what the RoRG could add