Gem Leveling Time Sink

General Discussion
For anyone who wants to compete on the leaderboard will know that it's incredibly time consuming. Especially with Augments and gems. Paragon is also a major problem which I will not go into in this thread. My focus is mainly on gem leveling and what can be done to reduce this very time consuming and boring part of the game.

This problem is even more apparent in Hardcore. There are definitely solutions that could be implemented to combat such issues and at the same time add some excitement.

Here are some ideas I thought of that could make this part of the game less tedious and more enjoyable.

1) Enemies outside of rifts and greater rifts have a small chance of dropping a random legendary gem with a random level. The drop rate is doubled in Campaign mode. The levels would have to be weighted for example:

50% chance: up to level 25 (minimum Normal Difficulty)
25% chance: up to level 30 (minimum Hard Difficulty)
10% chance: up to level 40 (minimum Expert Difficulty)
5% chance: up to level 50 (minimum Torment I Difficulty)
4% chance: up to level 60 (minimum Torment VI Difficulty)
3% chance: up to level 70 (minimum Torment X Difficulty)
2% chance: up to level 80 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.5% chance: up to level 90 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.25% chance: up to level 100 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.10% chance: up to level 105 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.05% chance: up to level 110 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.04% chance: up to level 115 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.03% chance: up to level 120 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.02% chance: up to level 125 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)
0.01% chance: up to level 130 (minimum Torment XIII Difficulty)

2) Legendary gems can now be traded. I could go in to a long drawn out explanation on ways to implement a very workable trading interface that could combat 3rd party sites, and scamming etc, but this will never be done so I'll just list possible methods that could work with little effort.
- Have a new rare item called trade tokens that drop.
- Allow Legendary gem(s) to be traded only for Ancients and/or Primals.

3) At the start of a Greater Rift allow the option to spend more keys resulting in more gem upgrades. For Example using Empowered Greater Rifts:
(1 key) x 5 = 5 upgrades
(2 keys) x 5 = 10 upgrades
(3 keys) x 5 = 15 upgrades

4) Add a cube recipe that removes augments and returns the item and a set amount of keys which could be recycled and used with the above option 3. A fair formula would be augment value divide by 20 = x keys. For Example
A level 100 Augment or 500 Stat item would return 25 keys. The cube recipe could also destroy a gem and return keys as well.

5) Also allow Elites and bosses in Campaign mode to drop keys. The drop chance is higher for bosses and increased in higher difficulties.

I know this next thing is off topic but I still got to put it out there. After completing the entire Campaign you are rewarded with at least 1 paragon level. Perhaps more depending on difficulty. This reward cannot be received again until you reset campaign and finish every quest in order. Perhaps also each boss drops a guaranteed Ancient with increased chances of being Primal.

Hah I don't know why I bother making threads like this. These ideas will more than likely go unnoticed. Hence another waste of time. Oh well it took me only 15 minutes to write this and come up with these ideas.

Anyways peace out.
No.
If levelling gems was easy and quick, there wouldnt be a point to it. May as well bring in the big red button that costs 10 shards to push and drops put whatever item you want and you choose the stats.
Things are easy now anyway. When paragon came in , I hit the grind for months to get P100- now, that a days work, starting from nothing. The dumbing down in the game has hit a high enough level- 0-70 is already a 15 min job with a boost, and considering the P levels that can be achieved in just one season, its become ridiculous.
Is gem levelling time consuming? Yes. But considering the number of people that spend most of their time running grifts, you can level gems quickly anyway.

as for a non-3rd party trading system, keep dreaming. If there was a way to stop it, dont you think it would have come in by now? you can put any limits you want on ingame trading, people will always take it to 3rd parties.

This game needs grind. without it, its got nothing to offer- the search for better items and upgrades is the whole point of the game. Making it even easier would make it useless.
And if you want random drops, will you complain when you get nothing and your friend who started playing 2 weeks ago gets 4 level 130 gems in 2 days? Complain it was unfair? Look for a change because newbs shouldnt be getting these? Someone is going to get lucky, after all.

Campaign for paragon? You can finish it in a couple of hours . If you have high paragon, it will take you longer than that to gain a level- go play campaign, reset, play campaign, 10 levels in a day instead of 2.

There is nothing wrong with suggestions, but they do need to be tempered with forethought. Making the game ever-easier does not improve it, I believe, it just makes it less enjoyable.
10/30/2018 02:08 PMPosted by LazyNCrazy
My focus is mainly on gem leveling and what can be done to reduce this very time consuming and boring part of the game.

This problem is even more apparent in Hardcore.

with how easy it is to get gear and paragons, there needs to be something that hurts when you die. That's augments. HC doesn't need to be trivialized any more than it has with power creep.
1, 2, 4 & 5: These suggestions are either outright bad or unnecessary.
3: This is not a bad suggestion, just needs a little refinement. Getting five extra upgrade attempts for each additional key is a bit too much, I'd say two extra attempts at most would be better.

I personally have for a while now been toying around in my head another method to make leveling gems slightly faster. It's this: if the difference between gem level and cleared GR is significant, there's a chance a single attempt will yield two or even more upgrades. Minimum difference for second upgrade is 20 levels, for the third it's 40, etc. The exact numbers might need some finetuning but that's the concept.

I really do understand that leveling gems from zero to the desired level takes time and can become a bit of a chore but this is after all a grinding game. To achieve something is supposed to take some effort.
It takes me 16 GRs to get a gem from 0 to 80, and the first 10 of those are done in 2-4 minutes. And I'm talking all solo.

There is no need for modification of this process.
The drop rate of the gems would be very rare. Like 1 in 2,000.
The whole point of this would be to add another item type in pretty much a non-existent loot hunt. And at the same time a reason to play a mode that is almost completely neglected. Finding a gem over level 100 would be extremely rare bordering on Zod rune rarity.

The options I put out there are not written in stone the numbers obviously could be tweaked to make sense. It's just the idea that counts.

Doing a full campaign run might yield up to 3 x legendary gems possibly none. It's just about expanding options. Let me put it this way what difference does it make if a player spends 2 hours in campaign mode v.s 2 hours doing GR's if both could yield similar results?
A major flaw this game has is there are zero options.

You want to hunt for loot? Best Method? Greater Rifts
You want to level gems? Only method? Greater Rifts
You want to gain experience for Paragon? Best Method? Greater Rifts
You want blood shards? Best Method? Greater Rifts

Adventure mode sits there for literally zero reason besides bounties which I might add everyone hates. Nobody ok almost nobody explores in adventure mode. Why? There is no reward for it.

Campaign mode is almost 99.9% deserted. Why? Oh yeah no reward.

Brawling mode is 100% deserted. Why? I'll let you guess.

See where I'm going with this?

The foundation of this game is very bad, and would be too much work to fix. But why not at least use what you have, it's mind boggling to me that the 3 above modes are completely and utterly wasted.
You picked your name for a good reason I see.
10/30/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Jazz
You picked your name for a good reason I see.
This is an old name I came up with when I was in high school. I was really in to programming and was looking to start my own software company that for reasons i will not get into here never happened, but the name just stuck.

My initial philosophy of this post was to add some other methods to getting gems and possibly reduce the nauseam of doing 100's of the same thing over and over to achieve the same result. My intention wasn't to reduce the countless hours it takes to fully augment your gear with reasonable levels to zero time, but reduce it, if even by half it would go a long ways. At the same time I was pointing out that perhaps using a different game mode to achieve similar results could be a good thing.
-> Change the "leveling system" to a system with "XP". High GR gives a lot more XP, thus leveling lower rank gems much faster.

For example, if you currently have a gem with "1%" chance of being upgraded, post-update, it would give "1%" of the required XP to level it up. Much like the current restriction, a gem that is too high rank will not receive any XP. Unlike the previous system, every "upgrade" will give enough XP for a gem to gain multiple ranks.
10/30/2018 04:57 PMPosted by DoomBringer
-> Change the "leveling system" to a system with "XP". High GR gives a lot more XP, thus leveling lower rank gems much faster.

For example, if you currently have a gem with "1%" chance of being upgraded, post-update, it would give "1%" of the required XP to level it up. Much like the current restriction, a gem that is too high rank will not receive any XP. Unlike the previous system, every "upgrade" will give enough XP for a gem to gain multiple ranks.

This would be so much better tbh.

I also wish they would make skills more in depth, but I think it is too late for that.

I actually don't mind this suggestion. It would save the time of farming gr 45-65 at the start of season to get those 13 Aug gems rolling.

The only problem with it, where is the gold sink that empowering grs gives with your version?
10/30/2018 05:43 PMPosted by shadowforge

I actually don't mind this suggestion. It would save the time of farming gr 45-65 at the start of season to get those 13 Aug gems rolling.

The only problem with it, where is the gold sink that empowering grs gives with your version?

Empowering the GR gives your gem 30% more xp

This would be an improvement that's for sure.

10/30/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Demonmonger
Empowering the GR gives your gem 30% more xp
If they made it equivalent then empowering would give 25%, but I wouldn't complain if it were 30%!
10/30/2018 06:10 PMPosted by LazyNCrazy
If they made it equivalent then empowering would give 25%, but I wouldn't complain if it were 30%!

I do not necessarily think 25 or 30 would be equal to the amount of xp if we converted to this format for gem leveling.

The one thing about this format that I love is that regardless of what your max GR is, you can slowly level up your legendary gems to a certain degree. It is a form of progression that can potentially elevate you beyond your current peak, which is great for any ARPG.
While it really looks good on paper, I doubt the practice. You kill tons of monsters on a single run. I suggest it'd be on quest completion rather than monster kill that you down on a regular basis. Even then, I'd still have doubts about such system; a simple quest completion (or monster kill) giving the most valuable reward in the game with way less effort if RNG decides to do so.

If I were to seek a reward balance, I'd rather have Charms and Talisman back into the game and have them given as a reward in Campaign Mode quest completion.

10/30/2018 02:08 PMPosted by LazyNCrazy
2) Legendary gems can now be traded.

Let's not go that far. As for rest of the post; 3rd, 4th and 5th ideas look good to me.
10/30/2018 11:03 PMPosted by naksiloth
While it really looks good on paper, I doubt the practice. You kill tons of monsters on a single run. I suggest it'd be on quest completion rather than monster kill that you down on a regular basis. Even then, I'd still have doubts about such system; a simple quest completion (or monster kill) giving the most valuable reward in the game with way less effort if RNG decides to do so.

A most excellent reason for the devs to massage the kinks out of D3's RNG. It's no secret that it sucks the way it works right now. More people would play beyond the first couple weeks of a new season if 98% of the leg drops weren't insta-salvage.
Blizzard, mods, please stop failing the forums.

Scrolling through so many posts, and each post has ONE downvote, just one for all of them.

Stop letting people troll and spread negativity!!!!