Am I the only one that wasn't super hyped?

General Discussion
I feel like I am the only one that wasn't super hyped about Blizzcon of this year. I will tell you why, along with telling you what I did expect and can still get after Blizzcon.

The announcement that I expected was real simple. Since D3 port to NS would be complete they would say that we are vastly improving Themed Seasons and tell us some of the ideas that they have for doing just that.

Why did I only expect the above well I will break things down game by game.

D4: This one I knew wouldn't be announced due to the blog before Blizzcon. The majority of the players before the blog thought it would indeed be D4 announced. That is what many where wanting and the blog said that is what would take time to be worthy of the Lord of Terror.

D3: Any new content wouldn't be likely since the devs were still working on porting to NS. So they wouldn't have anything to show like a DLC or expansion. Now talking about improving seasons is something entirely different.

D2 or D1 remaster/remake: David Brevik did an interview IIRC with Rhykker where he basically said that he doesn't think that a remaster of D2 is possible due to how the sprites are rendered in D2. So that means it would likely be a remake which would mean it would be closer to a new game than a remastered version.

Why wouldn't I expect the above to be announced since Warcraft 3 got announced as a remastered version. Well it was again the blog that said Diablo related news. This means that even though the announcement would be big it is not gonna be what you would normally expect since it said Diablo related.

I really do believe as gamers we allow ourselves to get hyped up more than we should. Where the proper attitude is to have restraint in all cases of hype. Use logic and reasoning skills along with critical thinking skills to see if all of the info you are given adds up to what the hype you are putting into it.
Yes, you are the only one that wasn't super hyped. The only person

If only the rest of us had looked to your world-weary wisdom as an example.
I wasn't hyped at all BUT this is Blizzcon. You make people pay hundreds of Dollars for an EVENT, you make them pay now even more money than the last years for a "virtual ticket". So obviously that price should also allow you to be part of something big. This though wasn't big, this was a joke and that's not right, no matter if you are hyped or not.
I wasn't hyped at all, I actually just happened on the Twitch stream because a friend of mine told me it was on, I just know that mobile game is the tomb of gaming.

It may be ok for some cards or "connect 3" type of games, but not for games that require more precise and complex controls.

And I'm just disregarding the obvious cancer of microtransactions that the whole "mobile gaming" industry is built upon.
11/05/2018 12:23 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
I feel like I am the only one that wasn't super hyped about Blizzcon of this year. I will tell you why, along with telling you what I did expect and can still get after Blizzcon.

The announcement that I expected was real simple. Since D3 port to NS would be complete they would say that we are vastly improving Themed Seasons and tell us some of the ideas that they have for doing just that.

Why did I only expect the above well I will break things down game by game.

D4: This one I knew wouldn't be announced due to the blog before Blizzcon. The majority of the players before the blog thought it would indeed be D4 announced. That is what many where wanting and the blog said that is what would take time to be worthy of the Lord of Terror.

D3: Any new content wouldn't be likely since the devs were still working on porting to NS. So they wouldn't have anything to show like a DLC or expansion. Now talking about improving seasons is something entirely different.

D2 or D1 remaster/remake: David Brevik did an interview IIRC with Rhykker where he basically said that he doesn't think that a remaster of D2 is possible due to how the sprites are rendered in D2. So that means it would likely be a remake which would mean it would be closer to a new game than a remastered version.

Why wouldn't I expect the above to be announced since Warcraft 3 got announced as a remastered version. Well it was again the blog that said Diablo related news. This means that even though the announcement would be big it is not gonna be what you would normally expect since it said Diablo related.

I really do believe as gamers we allow ourselves to get hyped up more than we should. Where the proper attitude is to have restraint in all cases of hype. Use logic and reasoning skills along with critical thinking skills to see if all of the info you are given adds up to what the hype you are putting into it.

This and the fact that a mobile game with the diablo franchise name was known to be in development is why I wasn't shocked. All the nerd rage is hilarious though.

11/05/2018 12:27 AMPosted by Inquisition
Yes, you are the only one that wasn't super hyped. The only person

If only the rest of us had looked to your world-weary wisdom as an example.

Yes indeed. Then maybe the sky wouldn't be falling.
I also was not hyped at the most I though a DLC for D3. I was not expecting anything more than that with the port to switch.

I also knew about the rumor of a phone based game and could have cared less.

I am super pissed at being locked out of specific content and lore to the game because I refuse to play it on my phone. They stood there and said to every pc/console player to go F themselves if they don't want to play on the format that they dictate, and they could give two !@#$s that it was those same pc players and later console players that made the franchise what it is today.
To be honest I am always hyped for a blizzcon. They happen to make one of the games I really play a lot. :/
This may be a shock to you, but you don't have to be hyped to be disappointed. They could've announced nothing and the backlash wouldn't even be this severe...
I wasn't hyped but I didn't expect Diablo to get shafted again. This is a case of bad news being worse than no news. I mean if they were going to make a mobile game why not just remake Diablo 1 for phones? The novelty factor would have sold it. It was simple enough to work well. The fog of war effect has already been done on mobile and it's what truly defined Diablo 1. They could have followed that up with a dummied up version of Diablo II to introduce people to the lore of the next chapter and then brought out Diablo Immortal. Hell I would have bought a cheap android tablet to play it. To announce an entirely new chapter with never seen before lore was just a bungle. They just had to have that multiplayer kumbaya online crapfest from Diablo 3.
Well, I expected nothing and yet it is worse.
I expect nothing and still got disappointed.
11/05/2018 03:57 AMPosted by Zeox
I expect nothing and still got disappointed.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I posted in more than one thread telling people to curb their hype, that things were getting out of hand in hype due to very vague statements that literally said nothing. I said I expected nothing that would interest me. I was suspecting a list of season themes (Double rift keys! Double mats! Double Gems! Double gold!), things that wouldn't interest me as they don't enhance gameplay, just create shortcuts.

But I didn't expect what appears to be a stripped/simplified/stupified version of D3 as a toilet game.
I was not hyped at all. A half hour to possibly talk about some great new Diablo product didn't seem likely. I doubted even a new character class for D3 (which I'd buy probably even though I haven't played D3 in at least 2 seasons.)

That being said, I'm more hyped after. I think it's interesting they let another studio develop the game for them. Activision has made success with CoD over the years by studio shopping it. You have to have passionate developers for a franchise for it to be 'good' and Blizzard has clearly struggled with Diablo arpg style since they were only able to make 1 game out of it in over a decade. A lot of shopped out Diablo games would likely be mediocre, but think about it, there would probably be one or two very good ones each decade, and that's as good as Blizzard could hope for by developing it in house.

As for sales, those two games would likely be great successes, and what's more they might be backed up by 5 or more other diablo games, that also sell well. So overall, it's more $$ to shop the franchise out.

Bottom line, is a "Fortnite" level success possible for the Diablo franchise from inside Blizzard. I got to say no. The personnel is aged to the point they are not fanatic gamers(ie people who put games ahead of their health, their family, their finances, their country), and the development process that incorporates open play of early beta products is not there. I respect both of these choices by the company. It's okay to not be a fanatic gamer, and it's okay to want to develop a product in secrecy and let it be an artistic representation of who you and the staff is.

TLDR: D3 was a huge letdown for me. Blizzard just didn't know what made arpgs work. It can only get better from there on out.
11/05/2018 05:35 AMPosted by Battledude
The personnel is aged to the point they are not fanatic gamers(ie people who put games ahead of their health, their family, their finances,

It is neither logical or wise to put gaming before health, family, and their finances.

If you put it ahead of your health then you won't be playing games for very long. Put it ahead of your family then you family leaves you and you are lonely. That is even worse if you really love your family. Put it ahead of your finances and you won't have the money to spend to play games or even take care of those other things at all.

11/05/2018 05:35 AMPosted by Battledude
TLDR: D3 was a huge letdown for me. Blizzard just didn't know what made arpgs work. It can only get better from there on out.

I actually believe that with D3 they put things into it that they like to experience when they play D3. Just as Brevik said years ago in that F-bomb interview. He said that developers put things into their own games that they love to experience when they play their own games. This is their definition of fun.

Devs are not genies that grant every wish and can change their definition of fun or change the identity of the company just to appease a smaller fan base. Right now you have both Blizz North fans and Blizz Irvine fans that play D3. Some even love D3 much to the chagrin of those here on the forums.
no. i wasnt hyped at all. i didnt expect an expansion. i didnt expect a new game. i expected nothing, and they still disappointed me somehow
After they announced they wouldn't be saying anything about D4, what little anticipation I had was gone. I had zero expectations going into BlizzConned and they still managed to disappoint me.
I set my expectations really low for this Blizzcon, like getting a druid dlc or something, and they still disappointed me.
Where did you find people being hyped with Diablo this Blizzcon? Were you playing where's Waldo?