Is Blizzard trying to get rid of their old fans?

General Discussion
Sometimes I wonder if Blizzard is deliberately trying to gradually get rid of their old playerbase by introducing Diablo to phone and appealing to a new audience and labelling the new audience "Diablo fans" the second they start playing Diablo Immortal on phone etc.

Blizzard is asking for trouble by continuing to try and divide and introduce different kind of players under the same "Diablo fan" label. It happened with Diablo 3. Now it might be happening again with phone. They probably want a PC game based on the phone game at some point or something like that.

Diablo 3 splitted the playerbase and made people have very different opinions about the game. This gave rise to path of exile. Now you see the same thing happening again. Gradually Blizzard is appealing to a more and more casual audience and the more they do it the more money and players GGG gets. I guess Jay Wilson's nonsense words of wisdom "Hardcore games for everyone is what Blizzard does" still applies even though he quitted.

Is Blizzard refusing/unable to compete with GGG and thus resorting to phone games to try and compensate? We all know that ONE of the reasons PoE got so popular was because D3 divided the fanbase. (Not saying this is the only reason.)

Or maybe Blizzard does not even understand at this point that they are giving free players away to GGG?
100% yes. If not, we are collateral damage. But they'd rather spend less on mobile re-skins and dish em out to China and anywhere that will pay them. They could care less about the PC community otherwise what happened at Blizzcon simply would not have happened.
11/10/2018 07:30 PMPosted by Matheyus
They could care less about the PC community otherwise what happened at Blizzcon simply would not have happened.

That is almost like saying "we could care less about the Diablo community" tbh.
(But at the same time THEY DO CARE about potential NEW communties/fans.)
Quit not quitted and split not splitted
11/10/2018 07:27 PMPosted by Doomfire
Blizzard is asking for trouble by continuing to try and divide and introduce different kind of players under the same "Diablo fan" label. It happened with Diablo 3.

A lot of Diablo 1 + 2 fans were attracted to the darker themes. Blizzard have gone away from this to appeal to a more mass-market audience.

Here are some sales stats (just from Wikipedia - see articles for sources).
  • Diablo 1 - launched Dec 31, 1996. 2.5 million units by mid-2001.
  • Diablo 2 - launched June 29, 2000. 4 million units sold by June 29, 2001. Can't find any details on total now.
  • Diablo 3 - launched May 15, 2012. 3.5 million sales first 24 hours, 6.3m first week. In 2012 they sold 12 million copies. By June 2014 D3 + Reaper of Souls had sold 20 million copies. By June 2015 they had sold 30 million copies at which point it became the 10th best-selling video game of all time. Haven't seen more recent figures but imagine it'd be higher (and still growing with launches on platforms like the Switch).

What you can conclude from that is the majority of people who have played a Diablo game have never played Diablo 1 & 2, and the strategy of appealing to a more mass market audience with Diablo 3 appears successful.

So to answer your question -- I don't think they're actively trying to get rid of old fans, but I think they're going in a direction that's more mass-market that may not appeal to old fans.
You have to blame the rise of china/asia gaming market. They play games during the post-pc era which means they are used to paying microtransactions for games and the free to play model on their mobile phones/tablet. Blizzard most likely is following where the money is going, which is the mobile platform.

It is not as lucrative anymore on PC platform. And i think down the pipeline you will see Overwatch or Hots be in Mobile.

Also many people now don't own a gaming PC now because how expensive the price of graphic card has gone up.
As a business - wouldn't it be more financially sound to be able to reach an entire new audience to add to your current one?

I don't think they are trying to replace their core/pc audience. If they did, they would have shut the servers for pc and kept diablo strictly on consoles.

Everything has to come at the cost of something else. This is just a current direction they're trying to go for to expand their fan base. Who knows? Maybe this mobile game will encourage the china/asian market to buy D3 or the older titles as well.

From a business stamdpoint- it's a solid line of thinking. From a pc player standpoint - totally understand the disappointment that it's not a pc game (and im kind of glad that D:I is not a pc game) but i also know that D:I is not the only thing they are working on atm.

Now, whether you believe Blizzard right now or not is up to you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
They did it some years ago.
I believe this is so
NO, They are changing your cognitive relationship. Time between games and a hypothetical person named Whyatt that argues you having a phone is why he is right?
11/10/2018 09:44 PMPosted by URBER
post-pc era
Mobile is simply another platform, not one that can ever replace the PC. The larger screen size, more powerful hardware (no matter how good phones get, it's simple physics), and controls with significantly more buttons which don't further compromise the already-small screen size of a mobile phone see to that.

Against that, the only advantages a mobile phone has are that it's portable and most people already have one for other purposes. Those make it a casual gaming machine with a wide audience, but the hardcore gamers are going to stick to PC and console.
Pleased be advised. The next DI buzzword or phrase will be?? Whoever has “touched” the new DI actually feels tight?
I could care less if they want to get into the mobile market but what I do care about is the response by blizzard themselves. They showed alot of disrespect to the ppl that paid alot of money and invested time to go to blizzcon. They also are following the same company models of others that have converted. The difference is the lack of respect to the fan base they have now in exchange for profits and unless ppl start banning together to start boycotting companies with the way blizzard treated ppl companies will keep going on the path they are on as of right now I no longer will be looking to buy or spend any more money on their products. I have done the same to bioware and will start looking for new up and coming companies that are into making a good game instead of what our profit margin is. I can say this out of my own personal experiences in game and that is right now good games are getting harder and harder to find instead its about how much can you get out for the less effort and it is making decent games hard to find. I also know of alot of ppl that still are not even connected to internet and those players are a market being left in the dust.
11/10/2018 10:36 PMPosted by KushiSensei
As a business - wouldn't it be more financially sound to be able to reach an entire new audience to add to your current one?

Yes, but:
1. You don't alienate your current fanbase because the current fanbase *may* help introduce that new audience
2. Reaching an entire new audience *isn't* mutually exclusive to retaining much of your current one.
3. I'm not sure if the mobile audience 'follow' game companies, but more so whatever may be the flavor of the moment and are a more 'transient' market.

Interesting enough mobile game companies don't tend to last.
Look at Rovio, King and Popcap. They have all risen and fallen since the release of Diablo 2.
Make Diablo 3 a business. When I want my Crusader look like a pony that drinks blood and pays 5 bucks for it when I want to. Then 3 months later I can pay for a Crusader that can visually loot wow tears for another 2bucks? Holiday Skins?
11/10/2018 11:53 PMPosted by alexlunalex
Make Diablo 3 a business. When I want my Crusader look like a pony that drinks blood and pays 5 bucks for it when I want to. Then 3 months later I can pay for a Crusader that can visually loot wow tears for another 2bucks? Holiday Skins?

Forgot to say “ Blizzard I can’t pay you extra money now to make my character in D3 look awesome. You did not put buy now button that would make revenue. “

Bit Much?
They aren't trying to get rid of PC gamers, they just see us as cows to milk and ignore. They think PC gamers will support any kind of nonsense because we love Diablo games so much. That is why Wyatt was so shocked when we wouldn't cheer for DI his new baby. He honestly thought everyone would just love it because it's a Diablo game.

So taken for granted and ignored is more accurate.

They plan to toss us something in about 2-3 years and then they will ignore again for about 7-8 years or more.
I am disappointed for them having announced only a mobile version of a new Diablo game. Nothing against mobile games, but the game experience is very different, and they leave short a PC game that needs some revamping, new content, and seriously a better way of trading between players. Its the only game with no auction house and a very crippled trading system between players, if they don't want the auction house then fine at least let the players trade their loot among themselves freely, this is a multiplayer game and not a glorified single player game online.
11/10/2018 09:24 PMPosted by Jinx
What you can conclude from that is the majority of people who have played a Diablo game have never played Diablo 1 & 2, and the strategy of appealing to a more mass market audience with Diablo 3 appears successful.

I don't think this is the only key to read this.
You forget that in the first period of Diablo not so much player were on internet, playing with a 56k US robotics modem as many did.
Simply, today, there are also more player and people connected.