So Activision cancelled the 2nd Expansion...

General Discussion
11/22/2018 01:32 PMPosted by ETpagh
Wasn't Activision. Was Blizzard.

Yes, but Activision is having more and more influence.
This dev team thought that adding ancient and primal ancient legendaries for endless power creep and stat inflation was innovative. And they wonder why the 2nd expansion got cancelled.
d2 did well, so d3 sold a lot of copies. d3 RoS didn't sell much but had done well, and I have confident the 2nd expansion would have sold a lot but, un-thankfully, Activision canceled it. Speaking of tragic.
Not to defend Blizzard too much here, but they didn't cancel the 2nd expansion on a whim. Even though it was before RoS released Blizzard would have still had the monthly active users and RoS pre-order numbers to know a general estimate for upcoming sales.

Fact is that after RoS released Blizzard stopped reporting "copy" sales and started reporting combined "unit" sales. Hence the jump from the previous 15 million copies prior to RoS to the 20 million units after RoS, which basically tells you that RoS sold <5 million copies after 3 months. So if you are Blizzard are you going to develop a 2nd expansion into a shrinking player base or would you take the same resources and move on to D4 with a fresh start and potential to re-establish a much larger base?

Moving on was definitely the right move and had they figured out how to actually make a Diablo game you'd already be playing D4 by now.
I want a 2nd expansion for diablo
11/22/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Gryphandor
Diablo 3's second expansion was cancelled because there was simply no way they could correctly monetize Diablo 3.

D3 forum community negativity derailed microtransactions. Quite a few of us could of accepted cosmetics microtransactions. Or purchasing extra stash tabs. Most just say no to pay-to-win, not cosmetics.

"Free-to-Play" Path of Exile updates and new content is funded by microtransactions. It's ok for POE to have, but not D3??? In-game content either by grinding vs by buying cosmetics (not pay-to-win). Could be added as Diablo3 transmogs, wings, pets for running in-game quests, set dungeons, challenge rifts, special events, or microtransactions.

- transmogs for equipment armor, weapon, off hand
- dyes for shields/swords, dyes for wings,
- tall/short, skinny/fat
- body hair (mustache/beard),
- hair cut/tatoos, skin color/war paint
- more pets
11/24/2018 01:33 AMPosted by SilverFox
11/22/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Gryphandor
Diablo 3's second expansion was cancelled because there was simply no way they could correctly monetize Diablo 3.

D3 forum community negativity derailed microtransactions. Quite a few of us could of accepted cosmetics microtransactions. Or purchasing extra stash tabs. Most just say no to pay-to-win, not cosmetics.

"Free-to-Play" Path of Exile updates and new content is funded by microtransactions. It's ok for POE to have, but not D3??? In-game content either by grinding vs by buying cosmetics (not pay-to-win). Could be added as Diablo3 transmogs, wings, pets for running in-game quests, set dungeons, challenge rifts, special events, or microtransactions.

- transmogs for equipment armor, weapon, off hand
- dyes for shields/swords, dyes for wings,
- tall/short, skinny/fat
- body hair (mustache/beard),
- hair cut/tatoos, skin color/war paint
- more pets

This is all nonsense.

No one buys MTX in a game they aren't invested in and most people left D3 before the content dried up. The fact is that if monetization was the only thing holding D3 back then D4 would already be out with an MTX shop.

Blizzard's problem is they are struggling to make a Diablo game that most people who play this genre want to stick around and play and buy MTX for.
11/22/2018 07:57 AMPosted by naksiloth
11/22/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Vekkul
Diablo 3's 2nd expansion would've been a triumph

I kinda doubt that. They didn't even have a chance to work on it fully as per that article says.

11/22/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Waynedetta
Properly cancelled due to the AH was no success.

AH was a success otherwise they wouldn't be able to give us RoS. AH's closure was only about the tax laws changing.

11/22/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Gadra
only 2.7mil sales when D3 sold 15mil+

2.7mil on the first release week I think? And appears D3 sold 15 mil in 1.5 years or so. So I doubt sale numbers was the main problem but didn't seem profitable at the short span at all. Anyone buying RoS have to have classic D3, whether buying a pack or having it before. All they did was splitting player base in two by rebranding an old game, so D3 RoS didn't seem to have the desired impact on the first week.
yes AH was such a SUCKsesss that when d3 launched 80% of the plyarbase that bought d3 left in like the first month. pretty sure thats why they removed it.
hell i bought the game started playing .....after the error !@#$fest immediatly after geting in the game it was obvious it was a cashgrab, played for a while and the brickwalls pushing u into the AH began to apear. then i left and never looked back, just like many other ppl did. they never even checked out ROS thats why it didnt sell as well as d3 did and thats why you are not geting another expantion or another diablo game. Diablo basicly lost more then half of its players base.
Some of the hardcore diablo fans went back to d2, some left and some stayed with d3 sure. but not nearly enough to justify making more content or even puting in huge resurces into D4 or w/e other project.
what blizzard is now doing is milking the diablo corpse with a mobile game.

Diablo 3's 2nd expansion would've been a triumph and we all know it, but it was cancelled before Reaper of Souls' performance was assessed. They flubbed around, cancelled it, and now they've been working on Diablo 4 for the last couple years.

source? Why do people are entitled to post crap all around the web without any backup on their claims?

There is absolutely ZERO info on diablo 4, diablo 3 expansion, and anything you just wrote.
11/22/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Vekkul
Diablo Immortal only exists because China wants it.

But China do not want Diablo Immortal from NetEase.
I'll be honest at this point I want a 2nd D3 expansion more than anything. I know it won't happen. But there you have it
Great news that it was cancelled.
Why spend resources on a title that doesn't fit with the ip?

Wowablo is a failure in practically all aspects, I commend blizzard for standing up to their f$@k up and working towards getting back on track!
11/22/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Vekkul

Yes, that is why, but that is also the problem.

Blizzard did a lot to fix D3 since the AH. Reaper of Souls is good.

But Activision thought the game was doomed. So they convinced Blizzard to do the most un-Blizzard of things: abandon their game.

If this is a sign of how Blizzard will be in the future, they'll end up inseparable from Activision and everything people loved so much about this company will fade.

11/22/2018 07:50 AMPosted by Midnight
There is no expansion or D4. Just mobile for market share

https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

Just so you all know that I'm not inventing this.

It’s clickbait. Random rumor site on internet.
It has been confirmed or it just the same leak with no viable source ?
11/22/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Vekkul
https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

Just so you all know that I'm not inventing this.

"After Diablo III’s disastrous launch on PC in 2012..."

So it's one of those articles where they pretend that one of the most successful and critically acclaimed games in Blizzard's catalog is somehow a "disaster".

By the way, D3 on the Switch is freakin' awesome.

Most likely the sad truth. It wasn’t about building D3 into a better game with more depth, systems, and lore. Which a second expansion would have helped to do immensely. D3 the “game” was all about being a delivery system for the RMAH $$$ scheme.

The second expansion would have been for the fans ... even though we didn’t know it until much later ... Activision was already rearing it’s anti-consumer pro $$$$ head even back then. We’ve seen more and more of its money grubbing claws time has progressed.
11/24/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Venur
It has been confirmed or it just the same leak with no viable source ?

Classic fake news. The great thing about anonymous sources is that they can say whatever the writer wants them to say.
People aren't following the basic corporate logic here. Neither Blizzard nor Activision is going to cancel projects that have a strong chance to be financially successful. The decision to cancel the 2nd expansion almost certainly came based on the MAU and RoS pre-order numbers, which signaled they lost too much of the player base to warrant more major x-pac development over just starting fresh with a new base game.
I assume we got at least parts of the second expansion, just not as an expansion.

The Necromancer probably was the new class, the rework of the sets, the upgrading your ancient legendaries, the primal ancients, there are probably quite a few things that found their way into the game anyhow. Even a few tilesets were dumped into a corner of the map.

High grossing mobile games these days are measured in millions earned per day. That is not something Diablo on PC can compete with in the foreseeable future and that will govern the perception of Diablo by corporate. Player might thing Blizzard was in the entertainment business, but in reality Blizzard is in the money making business. There is no room for romantic sequels that live up to fanboy standards. Cling to brands at your own expense.
11/24/2018 10:46 AMPosted by Hackusations
People aren't following the basic corporate logic here. Neither Blizzard nor Activision is going to cancel projects that have a strong chance to be financially successful. The decision to cancel the 2nd expansion almost certainly came based on the MAU and RoS pre-order numbers, which signaled they lost too much of the player base to warrant more major x-pac development over just starting fresh with a new base game.

Thing is, a second expansion has never been officially confirmed. It's all rumor and speculation.