Diablo 4 Leaks Article Summed Up

General Discussion
*Full Link Below*

“What they told the team was, ‘You’ve finished Reaper of Souls, it’s really good. But we think the best thing for the IP is to move to Diablo IV in whatever form that’ll be,’” said one person who was there. “The overall sense on the team, at least in my impression, was that there was a vote of no confidence from the executives. They thought Diablo III was a giant !@#$-up.”

Mosqueira and team designed Hades as a Diablo take on Dark Souls, according to three people familiar with the project. It would be a gothic, challenging dungeon crawler. This was canceled and Mosqueira left Blizzard.

As with any cancellation, there were likely many reasons for this move, but two people involved with Hades said it was going through rocky development. “It was not shaping up at all,” said one. In the middle of 2016, Mosqueira left Blizzard. It’s not clear whether Mosqueira left because of Hades’ cancellation or if Hades was canceled because he left, but what’s certain is that at that point, the project was shelved. (When reached by Kotaku, Mosqueira declined to comment on this story.)

In the coming months, Blizzard’s Team 3 would do two things. The developers, who needed something to work on now that Hades was no more, put together downloadable content for Diablo III called Rise of the Necromancer, a character class add-on that the team hoped would satiate fans who were desperate for more Diablo. And some of them started working on a project code-named Fenris.

Fenris is, all of our sources have confirmed, the current incarnation of Diablo IV. Blizzard’s Team 3 has been working on this version of the game since 2016, and some who have seen it say they’re optimistic about the direction. “[Design director] Luis [Barriga] has a very strong vision for that game,” said a former employee, “one that a lot of people are excited about at Blizzard.”

“They want to make [Diablo IV] gross, make it dark, [get rid of] anything that was considered cartoony in Diablo III.”

One key part of that vision is the art direction. During development of a game, many studios use what they call “pillars”—mantras that help define the game’s goals so that everyone on the team is on the same page. For Fenris, one of those pillars is simple: Embrace the darkness.

“There’s a lot of people who felt like Diablo III got away from what made Diablo Diablo in terms of art style and spell effects,” said a current Blizzard employee, adding that Fenris is aiming to look more like the beloved Diablo II. Said another: “They want to make this gross, make it dark, [get rid of] anything that was considered cartoony in Diablo III… Make what people were afraid of in Diablo II, but modern.”

Fenris is still early in development, and likely won’t be out until 2020 or later, so it’s safe to say that many decisions made by the team today will change over time. (We don’t know if it’s PC-first or planned for simultaneous launch on PC and consoles, and in fact, the team may have not yet made that decision.) One ongoing conversation, for example, has been whether to keep the isometric camera angle or use the over-the-shoulder third-person view that was prototyped for Hades. Recent builds of the game have been isometric, like previous Diablo games, according to three people familiar with Fenris, but questions remain over whether that should change.

Another pillar of Fenris is to make Diablo more social, taking inspiration from Destiny to add what one current Blizzard developer called “light MMO elements,” further drawing on Blizzard’s past massively multiplayer online success. Previous Diablo games have featured hub cities full of computer-controlled quest-givers and vendors—imagine if, while exploring those hubs, you could meet and group up with other players? And then what if you could go off and take on instanced dungeons with them, sort of like Destiny’s strikes or World of Warcraft’s instances?

-The Past, Present, And Future Of Diablo
Jason Schreier

*Full Link Below*
https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195
Thanks for this! Having read the whole article this is a great summation for those who dont want to give Kotaku clicks.

Especially considering the author thinks we as Diablo players are entitled and full of unsolicited rage.
kotaku lol...
dumpster of gaming news.
I don't know about you but this right here is what I've been waiting and waiting to hear for years on end now. If this is the case, I actually have some hope for the future of this series and the direction they are taking it. Diablo Immortal aside and all other shenanigans, words do play a key factor and the specifics here are apparent and what a lot of fans have been begging for now since the release of Diablo III. If this truly is the direction they plan on taking it while keeping it isometric...I'm very hopefull and curious as to how it will turn out.

I'd much rather read an article detailing this beautiful idea for the sequel than taking the series into an "over the shoulder view" or making it a future spawn of Diablo III. They do need to return this series to its roots while adding ground breaking mechanics and attraction for future ARPG'S. So many changes are taking place in gaming technology today and how we interact within a game. (Take a look at what the 2016 Doom reboot did for the first person shooter genre) Along with darker tone, hopeless and unending armies of Hell, awesome loot, bizarre music.... This could be the right foot for once.
11/26/2018 05:19 AMPosted by Korda
kotaku lol...
dumpster of gaming news.

Indeed I have heard this as well. My opinion is take whatever game journo or paid writer is saying and go on twitch or youtube for further sources/evidence. With this, only time will tell and even if it is true, it may be scrapped as well. I'd much rather read articles like this vs. other rumored articles that basically make you want to pluck your eyes out.

These ideas are still great and are amongst some of the top complaints fans have had now for years. So, hopefully these conversations are really happening behind the curtain. I do believe Diablo IV is in devlopment, however I think it's yeaaaars off release let alone a teaser/demo which I would estimate to be 2021 if the game isn't scrapped again because execs aren't happy with it. But if this article has any merit, people sound genuinely excited for this vision of Diablo IV and the motto Embrace the Darkness. I agree. Embrace the hell out of Darkness and let's take this train of terror back to its roots.
Don't trust everything you read on the internet. Not saying this is wrong I don't know but I would take it with grain of salt.
11/26/2018 05:29 AMPosted by Matheyus
11/26/2018 05:19 AMPosted by Korda
kotaku lol...
dumpster of gaming news.

Indeed I have heard this as well. My opinion is take whatever game journo or paid writer is saying and go on twitch or youtube for further sources/evidence. With this, only time will tell and even if it is true, it may be scrapped as well. I'd much rather read articles like this vs. other rumored articles that basically make you want to pluck your eyes out.

These ideas are still great and are amongst some of the top complaints fans have had now for years. So, hopefully these conversations are really happening behind the curtain. I do believe Diablo IV is in devlopment, however I think it's yeaaaars off release let alone a teaser/demo which I would estimate to be 2021 if the game isn't scrapped.

I loath Schreier as much as the next guy, but this dude has a near flawless track record with insider info and leaks.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

These ideas are still great and are amongst some of the top complaints fans have had now for years. So, hopefully these conversations are really happening behind the curtain. I do believe Diablo IV is in devlopment, however I think it's yeaaaars off release let alone a teaser/demo which I would estimate to be 2021 if the game isn't scrapped.

I loath Schreier as much as the next guy, but this dude has a near flawless track record with insider info and leaks.

Agreed Orbit. After watching quite a few feeds/youtube videos and reading dozens of articles I personally felt like there actually may be some merit here. A Diablo vet can still dream right? Haha. But I love reading these words-

Diablo IV- “They want to make this gross, make it dark, [get rid of] anything that was considered cartoony in Diablo III… Make what people were afraid of in Diablo II, but modern.”
11/26/2018 05:31 AMPosted by SirSmokes
Don't trust everything you read on the internet. Not saying this is wrong I don't know but I would take it with grain of salt.

Oh I'm definitely not. Even if it's true, it could ultimately change as well. But your thoughts on it or anyone else's if this article is true? Do you agree with it or think they would be heading in the right direction of this was their idea of Diablo IV?
11/26/2018 05:40 AMPosted by Matheyus
11/26/2018 05:31 AMPosted by SirSmokes

Oh I'm definitely not. Even if it's true, it could ultimately change as well. But your thoughts on it or anyone else's if this article is true? Do you agree with it or think they would be heading in the right direction of this was their idea of Diablo IV?
Well D3 launch was a mess and I get why they wanted to move on too the next game after RoS. RoS was great expansion in my option I enjoyed it for what it was. But yea we need D4 or something else Diablo related.
Better summary:

"This is all guesswork and speculation without a shred of verifiable evidence to support it."

/thread
nice pile of horseSh* with 0 evidence or real claims.

stopped reading at "someone who were there said".

yeah my uncle works for blizzard and said they are making Diablo 5.
Trust me, im the internet.
Sweet, we just need a dozen more threads on the same subject
kotaku LOL
pathetic and fake !@# gamer grill
Thread number 300 on this made-up clickbait article on a trash site.
Kotaku is as good at investigate and fact check as my dear rottweiler.

Stop this nonsense.
You want even more comedy - go look at Rhykker's video on this.

Not only was he on his knees licking up the hype train, he tried to rationalize things in the "timeline" to random !@#$ he's said in the past.

Truly should be nominated for an Emmy for best comedy of the year
11/26/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Bahlmoral

Not only was he on his knees licking up the hype train, he tried to rationalize things in the "timeline" to random !@#$ he's said in the past.

I feel for Him honestly. He'll probably end up having to stream Diablo: immortal and its one dimensional playstyle and content for months because of the content drought. A pain worse than death man.
11/26/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Bahlmoral

I actually really like Rhykker. He's one of us and has made videos for years exploring gameplay, lore, and future content. I think he's an extremely rare gem in the streaming community but it is his job. You should see his reaction video to all of it which is over an hour long and he personally rips Diablo Immortal and the way it was handled. He doesn't want to stream/talk about it but the guy's job is literally based mostly off Diablo
There’s substantially more that points to the article being true than false, but it’s more fun to just swear and rage and throw tantrums.

We can criticize Blizz and still use our brains, folks.