When is Blizzard going to solve this bot issue?

General Discussion
Q: Do you intend on doing something about bots Blizzard?
The developers and community managers seldom post on this forum. This forum is full of comments from players about bots, so don't expect an answer anytime soon.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/search?q=bots&forum=3354739
10/22/2018 03:59 PMPosted by AbyssalShade

They ban hundreds of people every season for like 3-4 seasons now.

Seems they prefer to go after big fish instead of everyone.
The short answer is never. If someone wants to bot and has the programming talent, they will find a way. Diablo 3 is far from the first, nor will it be the last game to have bots. It's a problem for every game. I just see it and move on at this point.
10/22/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Demonmonger

But they do not ban non-season botters for more than 2 years.
It's a fckng cheaters fiesta right now.
Hello from Europe.
i think the best way to solve illegal bots, is the same way but opposite. bots resolve a big problem(I will not go into details) but.. d3 has many problems, and worst are not only the cheaters, is inside the game.
thats why, Blizzard.. should add something like an "npc's" in to the game these heroes they have a unique name and a group of legendary heroes that will help the nephalems trough their journeys in sanctuary.
they can be any class (crus, barb, wizz, wd, monk, dh or necro), and they are pretty all fully geared, with very strong builds (not necessary meta builds), full primal build.
and with a moderate to high dps.
those npc can join in to public parties randomly or can be "summoned" by players with a consumable (maybe using ramaladni's gift in cube) and those bot/npc will help real players in rifts, greater rifts and bounties. doing them by itself, and giving to the player a big part of his/her loot (npc loot) by completing certains objetives given by the npc. and then you will get a cache with loot of that class, for example you are playing crusader, and you need more loot, so you summon "Bleder" and is a legenary npc hero, and he is crusader. and at the end you will get an extra loot and materials colleted from him... i dont know something like that.
Also blizzard can add a functinality like sent to mission when you are away, and it trigger when you leave diablo 3, you can send one of your characters to a mission during several hours, because is doing a mission by itself, a and will help you to farm stuff and loot, and it pauses when you get online and play. but you still unable to play that character, (and he just take a break), then when you get off line. that character will continue his mission, and when its done you just claim it.
i think these are cool ideas that blizzard can implement to the game and this will make bots practically usless. because you dont need boring bots, when blizzard give you THEIR bots, called legendary heroes carrying good stuff and cool missions.
(sorry for grammar mistakes but english is my second language)

Seems they prefer to go after big fish instead of everyone.

I was under the impression that it's more like tens of bans. Not hundreds. When we really have thousands of botters lol.
Diablo 3 has no anti cheat mechanism for botters.. The way they ban is by taking in reports of players that have been reported, and investigating them on a one by one basis.. They do not have the resources allocated to this, and that's why bans are few and far between. Here's to hoping their next game actually has an anti cheat mechanism.
10/23/2018 09:43 PMPosted by Gimpzor
Diablo 3 has no anti cheat mechanism for botters.. The way they ban is by taking in reports of players that have been reported, and investigating them on a one by one basis.. They do not have the resources allocated to this, and that's why bans are few and far between. Here's to hoping their next game actually has an anti cheat mechanism.

Source?

They do, but you can not solve it from the source. There's no solution in the world to stop bots right away. D3 is not the first game to have such problem and won't be the last. D3 is not designed for a competitive game at the first place; being angry at a leaderboard with names on it, is no different than yelling to a wall. Get over yourselves first.
If there's a botting problem in a game and this said game also has an underground market, then company policy is dispatching the botters in a silent way.

Diablo 3 has no anti cheat mechanism for botters.

If you really believe it that way, care to explain why after each hotfix update to D3, botter development team had to suck their thumbs for a whole week to change algorithm to make it work again?
Any kind of active security system for human interaction to resolve can be taught to bots in a matter of weeks at its worst, which eventually end up pissing off the legit users. There are active anti-cheat mechanisms in the D3 right now by the help of Warden system and each hotfix disables the newest botting software. That's an ever going battle between hackers and companies, so far not many steps have been made to radically change this.
I like how the thumbs downs have already started lol. The information is out there, you just have to find it. But let me ask you this.. Do you think that if they had an in game anti cheat mechanism feature, that bots would be running as rampant as they are? It makes me no difference, as I no longer play to push leaderboards, and only play for the first week of a season... I know how frustrating it is for legit players that try to compete with the nonsense though.
10/23/2018 10:16 PMPosted by naksiloth

They do, but you can not solve it from the source. There's no solution in the world to stop bots right away. D3 is not the first game to have such problem and won't be the last. D3 is not designed for a competitive game at the first place; being angry at a leaderboard with names on it, is no different than yelling to a wall. Get over yourselves first.
If there's a botting problem in a game and this said game also has an underground market, then company policy is dispatching the botters in a silent way.

Diablo 3 has no anti cheat mechanism for botters.

If you really believe it that way, care to explain why after each hotfix update to D3, botter development team had to suck their thumbs for a whole week to change algorithm to make it work again?
Any kind of active security system for human interaction to resolve can be taught to bots in a matter of weeks at its worst, which eventually end up pissing off the legit users. There are active anti-cheat mechanisms in the D3 right now by the help of Warden system and each hotfix disables the newest botting software. That's an ever going battle between hackers and companies, so far not many steps have been made to radically change this.

I know/knew people that have botted, and some probably still do.. I can tell you that you are incorrect. I won't go into much detail on the subject, but the main botting software (not going to mention the name) has only been affected once and it was only very temporary. The problem with blizzards anti cheat warden, is it only detects memory injection. It does nothing to the people that run bot programs that only read memory and work like an overlay.

Blizzards last last hoorah that changed and hid some game files and how the game read from memory did affect said software and even Turbohud.. However the programmers for said programs quickly got around it, and there has been no attempt by Blizzard to make anymore progress on the matter since.
Working as Blizzard intended.
10/23/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Coltovsky

It's a fckng cheaters fiesta right now.
Hello from Europe.

Cannot tell it better than that
I even noticed old NS EU legit players who have started to bot to keep up... :(
10/23/2018 10:16 PMPosted by naksiloth

A whole week.

What they did was to bring D3 up to date with their other games concerning some memory structures, and the bots just had to be adapted. Calling that an "anti-cheat" is a stretch, at best it's a minimal obfuscation.
At least they still do something. I'd really wish they did much more to get rid of botters and other cheat software but the little they do is still better than nothing.
You just do not understand the full scale of what is happening.
Materialss, paragons - it all grows with triple strength after the necromancer dlc.
Double accounts with bounties bot on one of them, that gives you free "cookies" every hour. This guys play all day, so they can collect x10 free bounties caches from group x4. Its about 1k each mats per day for free.
You can bot even with demon hunter now and grow you paragons only by start botting it in knife shadow build, farming solo 100+ greater rifts 24/7. It's a tonn of experience and items. Don't even want to say how much advantage in gr levels have crusaders.
Now, turbohud - no one want to see your zero necromancer with out it in fast rathmas 110+, you just out of game and cheaters got unreal advantage.
Can go on forever, but I think that's enough... The problem is huge and soon(tm) in this game will left only cheaters and casuals.
10/24/2018 02:59 AMPosted by apl
A whole week.

That's still something, think it as a forewarning for another mass ban. Just I don't see how implementing an anti-cheat would solve this issue. Because as far as I know anti-cheat in other games' are not accurate enough to flag players (at least official anti-cheats do not look promising, while surprisingly third party anti-cheats appear to be better). Anti-cheat systems generally come with a report system in case embed software detection misses anything. Yes, I know it's secretly tucked away somewhere in the official site but we have one already to report hacks and many other issues we witnessed in the game.

How I see this situation is; Blizzard is not paying attention to this game's design, made it non-competitive friendly as it is and use it as an excuse to be lazy while you whining about a list with names on it. Without a third party UI and macros, you aren't supposed to be pushing GR130+, and that's bad game design also a showcase of bad taste when developers get carried away with their choices.

You can think of a solution which would kill both botters and UI overlays but that would come at a small cost of halting players' progression. This will re-direct developers to have playtest the difficulty and extra mechanics for months for players to reach a similar GR progression.
Anti-cheat sounds like a very hopeful solution to me, because an anti-cheat system would need more than one flag to wipe a player outright. If you want anti-cheat to be accurate you have to block macros as well.

Bot problem is abit deeper than that, because a smart bot user would use several to farm mats only and keep his account clear from such thing, all the while who use it on their main account will be swept clear nearing the end of season. Even if you ban all bots new ones will sprout to adapt; anti-cheat or not. As long as this game keeps accompanied by an underground account seller market problem will keep going without a proper solution unless Blizzard takes radical steps.
never ?
10/24/2018 11:41 AMPosted by naksiloth
That's still something, think it as a forewarning for another mass ban.

The development and anti-cheat teams are separate, the developers bringing the game up to date doesn't really have anything to do with bans.