What do you want for D2: Remastered

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Exactly as the topic says. What would you want from a D2 remastered.

Obviously the gameplay should remain consistent with the original.
All the DLCs should be included
Good trading system
Better method of finding games to join

What else? :)
11/07/2018 09:43 AMPosted by ZombieOnion
Exactly as the topic says. What would you want from a D2 remastered.

Obviously the gameplay should remain consistent with the original.
All the DLCs should be included
Good trading system
Better method of finding games to join

What else? :)

General facelift, updated char models and items as well as updated environment sprites as in pillars of eternity.

Add back the act4 quests which were taken out.

Thats it!
11/07/2018 09:43 AMPosted by ZombieOnion
What would you want from a D2 remastered.

That it´s never been developed by this !@#$ty actibli$$ company!
updated graphics and maybe slightly more responsive skills. barbs ww basically went in a straight line and you had to click in tiny intervals to make it respond better.
I want most of it to stay the same (other than updated graphics and engine) but there are some QoL changes that I would be thrilled to see in a remake.

-Get rid of the stamina drain when running and the need for stamina pots. It is no fun to have to stand around and catch your breath. I get that it IS immersive, but it i makes for poor gameplay.

-Shared stash from D3. The tiny stash was a pain and having to get a friend to stay in game so you can mule items, was a pain.

-Charms in a separate bag or interface. I like the control they give, but I don't like having a bag full of them when trying to do MF runs, which are honestly one of my favorite things to do.

-Chars should not delete after 3 months of not logging in like they do in the current D2.

-Access from the Blizzard launcher

This is wishful thinking of course. It assumes they will do a remastered, something I want to hope WILL happen given they did it for SC and soon Warcraft3.
WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR D2: REMASTERED

1) real stat allocation
2) real talent customization
3) real gear customization
4) Synergistic customization of Talents too Gear

Oh wait that was all there in D2 and if it got remastered it surely will come with it!
As far as things that I would like from the remaster there are a few key things it should do:

1) Stamina should be removed completely. The mechanic doesn't really serve any purpose in the game and just serves to make early game a pain. Removing stamina and stamina potions is a no brainer because it's just a straight up positive.

2) Increased stash size and the addition of a shared stash. This can either be a single larger stash shared across all your characters or work somewhat like the stash system in Grim Dawn, but being able to swap items easily between your characters is an obvious QoL change that once again has no negatives.

Those are the two big ones for me, other changes border on balance concerns that exist in the game and changing them would risk stripping the game of some of its identity.

1) I'm not opposed to a separate inventory space for charms, since for me I've generally never used charms that weren't torch, anni, skillers, and some res/life small charms. That said offering a separate inventory space for charms would probably encourage me to use charms a bit more often.

2) Attack Rating/Bonus attacker level. Attack rating and chance to hit are kind of nitpicky sticking points for me in the game these days. The idea that I could run into normal act 1 with a melee character and have a 5% chance of missing a fallen is kind of insane. Related, the bonus to attacker level given to classes when calculating chance to hit I think does a bit of disservice to the diversity of melee characters. I understand that it makes sense thematically that some classes are more trained in physical combat than others, but I think it would increase build diversity (even if only slightly) if classes like the sorceress weren't straight up penalized in their chance to hit calculation (-15 to her level when calculating chance to hit). In an ideal world, I would rebalance the game around melee always hitting and go from there, but obviously this is a huge change and possibly out of the scope of an HD remaster.

3) Runewords. More runewords would be fun, and rebalancing some of the existing runewords so they aren't straight up garbage most of the time would be pretty nice.
I was going to write this long post but then I just stopped caring.

I do not want a straight remaster. I expect a remake on the level we are getting from WC Reforged.
11/07/2018 09:57 AMPosted by MissCheetah
I want most of it to stay the same (other than updated graphics and engine) but there are some QoL changes that I would be thrilled to see in a remake.

-Get rid of the stamina drain when running and the need for stamina pots. It is no fun to have to stand around and catch your breath. I get that it IS immersive, but it i makes for poor gameplay.

-Shared stash from D3. The tiny stash was a pain and having to get a friend to stay in game so you can mule items, was a pain.

-Charms in a separate bag or interface. I like the control they give, but I don't like having a bag full of them when trying to do MF runs, which are honestly one of my favorite things to do.

-Chars should not delete after 3 months of not logging in like they do in the current D2.

-Access from the Blizzard launcher

This is wishful thinking of course. It assumes they will do a remastered, something I want to hope WILL happen given they did it for SC and soon Warcraft3.

Blizzard is really good about QoL stuff, if ever there was something positive to say about them. I think they would do these things.
Can't remove stamina without replacing the barbarians Increase Stamina, or would ever barbarian build that uses increase speed just get an extra free skill point because they no longer need to add points to the prerequisite.
Graphical and inventory quality-of-life updates only. Don't even think about touching the gameplay or balance, because Blizzard North did a much better job than Activision ever could.
Allow us to redo the acts that we finished, sorta similar to how we can restart our campaign mode progress in D3. Of course, make the rewards of special quests one time only, for example the extra 2 skills you get from Tyrael for killing Izual to avoid abuse.

Graphic-wise, keep or enhance the graphics of charge bolt, lightning/chain lightning, and all other lightning dmg effects. I hate how Diablo 3 made the chain lightning skill look...
I feel like D2 was a great games and that people here are offering great suggestions. Nothing too big but the game should stay the way it is, for the most part.

A little off-topic, but I feel that in order for Blizzard to get D4 the sales that they want, they will have to release a remake/remaster for D2 to bring back the hype train that made D3 so much revenue. It wasn't just the new gamers but it was also the retro gamers and timing (they released it when the rest of the gamers that played D2 finished high school when they had more time to play) that made the revenue so much. I'm fairly sure than 90% of the retro gamers are done with the franchise, like myself. But if I saw a remaster/remake to D2 that would make me feel like Blizzard might do something right to D4 that the fanbase is asking for.
the most important is the prime time or era of diablo 2
CLASSIC around patch 1.06 everything before the pre lod patch because this kill classic to force us to buy lod :(

and for LOD patch 1.09

after 1.10 LOD drop Enigma really hurt the game
I miss the great build diversity before the 1.10 runewords were added along with the synergies. The game was still great and I love other features that came along, but something about having a completely unique build that just worked was awesome and that went away when a lot of the skills turned into only existing for the sake of buffing other skills.
The thing that I disliked about D2 was the fact that when I died (which I did regularly) I had to go back over the same ground that I had just cleared, and clear it again. I think the system in D3, where you are given credit for all of the kills you made previous to dying, is a much better one...
11/07/2018 10:35 AMPosted by GCrab
I miss the great build diversity before the 1.10 runewords were added along with the synergies. The game was still great and I love other features that came along, but something about having a completely unique build that just worked was awesome and that went away when a lot of the skills turned into only existing for the sake of buffing other skills.

I love this quote and miss this state of the game. I loved the runeword addition, but the build diversity made the game extremely unique. The good old days. If they release D2 remake/remastered they should start at this point and slowly move forward.

I just didn't like it how if you were a HC player and you would need a second character to sacrifice to kill Duriel without getting dashed and insta-killed at the start. He used to be so much harder than the other act final bosses mainly on HC. I love HC mode and it adds the right amount of rush to the game. Makes the game way more exciting, even if you die once or twice.

11/07/2018 10:38 AMPosted by NMJenny
The thing that I disliked about D2 was the fact that when I died (which I did regularly) I had to go back over the same ground that I had just cleared, and clear it again. I think the system in D3, where you are given credit for all of the kills you made previous to dying, is a much better one...

More like a system that waters down the difficulty of the game. I mean, it's convenient. But fans would be outraged if they added this kind of feature to D2. Keep in mind, that retro gamers DO NOT like their games getting watered down.
For it to be announced?
11/07/2018 10:38 AMPosted by NMJenny
for my part i like it because i will drop a bunch of item on your body and 1 shot you (FOH) and take all your gear for free and after you will beg me to have the gear back , and i will feel so evil :) the epic part of d2 are the pk :)