To those considering trying PoE...

Games & Technology
1 2 3 6 Next
Highly Rated
Here are a few things I'd recommend for new players:

1. Be patient while doing the campaign – the game has great depth to it and in the beginning WILL appear overwhelming, but it will all eventually make sense

2. There are many good build guides online. Lookup some league-starter builds (current game version is 3.5) that will help you learn as well as farm currency efficiently (for example, Ranger class builds)

3. Get a good loot filter! It’s just a text file – 100% safe and free (for example, NeverSink's – it will create beams of light for good stuff that drops similar to how it is in D3 for legs)

4. Get a premium stash tab if you want to be able to comfortably sell stuff to others. You can upgrade one of your regular stash tabs to premium ($1.5), or add a brand new premium tab ($4). Press “M” in the game to find out more

5. I would really recommend also purchasing a stash tab for in-game Currency ($7.5) for improved inventory management

6. To comfortably buy items from others go to poe.trade (100% safe & easy)

7. To comfortably buy in-game currency (orbs etc.) from others go to currency.poe.trade (100% safe & easy)

8. If you’re against any kind of trading and party play xp/mf abuse, in that case there is a Solo Self-Found option that you should consider enabling when creating a character

9. Like I said, the game has serious depth to it, so when you are “in search of answers”, visit the following wiki resource: pathofexile.gamepedia.com

10. You can transmog items for something like $0.6 per item. See more options in microtransactions.

11. You can craft/alter items by using a Crafting Bench in your hideout. For more info on crafting go to the game wiki (see item 8)

12. As soon as you’re done with the main story (ie. After completing Act 10), you can run maps (think grifts in D3) right from your hideout. In order to do so, invite Zana into your hideout and she will offer to place a map device there. Also invite Navali into your hideout – it’s very convenient for fast trading of devination cards

13. Avoid dying as much as you can due to XP penalty

14. Sometimes monsters will poison you, or make you burn/freeze/bleed which will drain your life down to zero and cause death. To counter that, enchant your flasks (by using orbs on them) to stop the above effects (most annoying for me was bleeding)

15. There is an app named Path of Building that comes handy when working on your own builds.

16. Don't be to hasty to spend the orbs you're finding during campaign - save them for when you're closer to end game. Main currency are Chaos and Exalted orbs. If you happen to find an Exalted orb while leveling, DO NOT waste it on some random yellow piece of gear (one Exalted is worth over 100 Chaos orbs!). Rule of thumb: when you find something that you're unfamiliar with, you should go online and check its value (see items 6 and 7 above).

17. You will acquire some base-level powers from certain bosses that you defeat during the campaign (The Pantheon system). It doesn't stop there however. When you get to maps, you'll be able to acquire the rest of the powers - that's what you will need the Divine Vessels for (so don't rush to sell them when you find them).

18. Do not obsess over 6-linked items - that's endgame stuff. Don't bother getting them early in the campaign, you'll get far enough without them. Save your currency for BiS items.

19. To build up currency reserves faster you should pick up and then salvage items that have a) at least 3 linked sockets - each of a different colour; b) 6 sockets of any colour (links don't matter, although I would not salvage an item with all 6 sockets linked as you may be able to sell it for much more). There are other so called "vendor" recipes that you can read about online, including those for Chaos orbs.

Enjoy!

LumeN

P.S. Feel free link/republish this information wherever you like and as many times as you need.
Thanks
that game is a min/maxing single-skill-spamming peace of poop.
Lol nicely done.
I went an installed it great game. now im off to uninstall all blizzard stuff of my PC
#nokingrulesforever
This is POE in the Beginning (First 2-3 chars):

watch a flicker strike video on youtube, wich reminds you of Son Gokus Instant Transmission Fighting, get hyped to try out, fail because no Frenzy Charge Sustain, look up forums, play crit based flicker with terminus, die because squishy, look up forums again, see another video of a flashy cast on crit build, hyped to try out...;)
If you make an archer, make sure to grab Mirage Archer Support Gem early on. You can buy it from Nessa on Tab 2.
Thanks for this, really. I am one of those that decided to give POE a try. Yes it is pretty overwhelming and monkaS. I will admit that at first glance its a turn off that I have to do so much prep work and homework before even playing.

But i carried on. I got a loot filter, installed Path of Building (ha this is one of my gripes, that no one has mentioned that this tool is highly highly recommended for newbies when it comes to builds)

Trade wise I will try and avoid it for now, I prefer to be independent fully understanding that it will take longer. (I didn't know about the Solo Self-Found D:)

Everyone should be given a chance, and giving POE a chance too.
Thank you folks for mostly positive feedback. I really wanted to help new players and listed the things I myself had found confusing when first trying to beat the game.
11/05/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Jordy

Seems you're talking about Diablo 3
11/05/2018 06:33 PMPosted by Hark659
11/05/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Jordy

Seems you're talking about Diablo 3

If u hate D3 for that reason then you'll hate POE even more.
11/05/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Inferno
Here are a few things I'd recommend for new players:

1. Be patient while doing the campaign – the game has great depth to it and in the beginning WILL appear overwhelming, but it will all eventually make sense

2. There are many good build guides online. Lookup some league-starter builds (current game version is 3.4) that will help you learn as well as farm currency efficiently (for example, Ranger class builds)

3. Get a good loot filter! It’s just a text file – 100% safe and free (for example, NeverSink's – it will create beams of light for good stuff that drops similar to how it is in D3 for legs)

4. Get a premium stash tab if you want to be able to comfortably sell stuff to others. You can upgrade one of your regular stash tabs to premium ($1.5), or add a brand new premium tab ($4). Press “M” in the game to find out more

5. I would really recommend also purchasing a stash tab for in-game Currency ($7.5) for improved inventory management

6. To comfortably buy items from others go to poe.trade (100% safe & easy)

7. To comfortably buy in-game currency (orbs etc.) from others go to currency.poe.trade (100% safe & easy)

8. If you’re against any kind of trading and party play xp/mf abuse, in that case there is a Solo Self-Found option that you should consider enabling when creating a character

9. Like I said, the game has serious depth to it, so when you are “in search of answers”, visit the following wiki resource: pathofexile.gamepedia.com

10. You can transmog items for something like $0.6 per item. See more options in microtransactions.

11. You can craft/alter items by using NPCs, including Masters that you encounter during the campaign. You can invite them into your hideout which will allow you to place their work benches there. For more info on crafting go to the game wiki (see item 8)

12. As soon as you’re done with the main story (ie. After completing Act 10), you can run maps (think grifts in D3) right from your hideout. In order to do so, invite Zana into your hideout and she will offer to place a map device there. Also invite Navali into your hideout – it’s very convenient for fast trading of devination cards

13. Avoid dying as much as you can due to XP penalty

14. Sometimes monsters will poison you, or make you burn/freeze/bleed which will drain your life down to zero and cause death. To counter that, enchant your flasks (by using orbs on them) to stop the above effects (most annoying for me was bleeding)

Enjoy!

LumeN

15. If thats not enough help go to the Subbreddit of PoE /r/pathofexile theres a thread pinned for the newcomers after that diablo debacle for a smooth transition.

16. Install a Programm named Path of Building for easier implementation of the Build u wanna play / the guide u follow most guides have a pastebin link that u copy in PoB in "Import/Export builds -> import from pastebin."

Ty bud for the first 14 will help much tho.
PoE is a nice game but you must find a build on the Web b4 even thinking of starting the game. The season are too short IMO considering the time inversement unlocking the maps take.

But if you anjoyed D2 PoE is like diablo 2.5 but requiring a ton more knowelge to be played.
Thanks - will mention Path of Building up there too
Uninstalled Diablo, so time to try the other two games again.
PoE, and Grim Dawn, happy hunting folks.
Yeah, if you have even the slightest interest in AARPG's you really should give PoE an honest try. It's a slow burn at first as there is SO much to learn but once you get the hang of it, it's quite fun, challenging and deep game play.

Don't go into it expecting to beat the game in one sitting, PoE is like a fine whine, gets better over time. PoE will demand your attention but will reward you in turn for the effort you put into it!
I recently started poe as to be honest diablo got a bit long in the tooth.. absolutely don't regret it one bit. Its hard to say which one I prefer as I like features from both but if you are a fan of these style of games then its worth a try.
fook poeI want to play diablo
Sounds like a freemium, microtransaction-full game that everyone here is !@#$%ing about. The irony...
11/05/2018 07:53 PMPosted by Langolier
Sounds like a freemium, microtransaction-full game that everyone here is !@#$%ing about. The irony...

you can play without microtransactions. you better play it first before criticizing.