To those considering trying PoE...

Games & Technology
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
I have about 500 hours on PoE most of which come from only one season. For me it's a game that takes the place of WoW when it gets stale and all my friends stop playing. When I first started playing PoE I was playing Hardcore, which was a huge mistake and made me hate the game because I couldn't get past level 40 for about a week, but then after managing to reach 80+ and mapping I f***ing died to a low level easy map just because I was a little sleepy and not fully aware. Softcore does have the XP penalty for dying which is nice because I enjoy having motivation to live while not losing your entire character. For those wondering about my D3 experience I also have at least 1000+ hours on D3 been playing since release and played every season (1-12/13 ish lost count) decently hard for the first few weeks for the most part.

After playing the game for 500 hours I decided to pay for micro transactions simply to support the devs because I felt they earned my money to continue to make the game amazing and free which also got me a sweet PoE shirt and some skins :)
Item giveaway has ended. Thank you
Ahh yes poe….

I spent 2 months farming end game items and currency to upgrade ONE piece of gear. After burning thru all the currency and being left with junk I uninstalled.

Loot hunt plus randomization on using your currency to "upgrade/craft" was just too much. People that enjoy the game, more power to you. I had fun until I wanted to min/max my gear.
11/05/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Jordy
that game is a min/maxing single-skill-spamming peace of poop.

are you even old enough to post here?
I will absolutely affirm that new players should play from a build guide. The talent tree is enormous, confusing, and very opaque to new players. You'll get the hang of things after seeing how you build out a couple of characters and be able to at least try to plan out your own build, but you can absolutely gimp a character if you go in without a decent plan to pick talents.

Also, while there are some microtransactions that I strongly recommend - specifically, the stash tab ones - those are yours forever once you buy them. No need to buy anything more, no recurring required payments, nothing. Everything else is purely cosmetic. And while the stash tabs are enormously helpful, they are far from mandatory, especially if you are a new player who doesn't have a steady path to boatloads of stuff yet. Consider them the equivalent of a purchase price of a traditional game.

Oh, and Kitava sucks. Just accept it. Nobody likes the Kitava fight. Especially on hardcore.
Also, if you want to play the meta builds, there are many, many guides out there for them.
11/06/2018 06:02 PMPosted by Ganelon
Ahh yes poe….

I spent 2 months farming end game items and currency to upgrade ONE piece of gear. After burning thru all the currency and being left with junk I uninstalled.

There was a build I tried that almost made me uninstall due to its low efficiency and overall clunkiness. It all depends I guess..
Is it dark and gothic? I’m interested.
Those orbs and that massive node page turn me off. I'm sure they would make sense if I play it but I can't play it because of said orbs and massive node page
11/06/2018 06:11 PMPosted by Moncrief
I will absolutely affirm that new players should play from a build guide. The talent tree is enormous, confusing, and very opaque to new players.

I'm still a fairly new player that's been coming and going and I completely agree with your suggestion.
11/06/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Midnight
Is it dark and gothic? I’m interested.

It is. Certainly was designed for mature audience. You won't hear dumbed down speeches like "you will never defeat me!" in that game.
I tried PoE.

It fails in the physics and graphics departments.

So it's not going to work out.
11/05/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Jordy
<span class="truncated">...</span>
Seems you're talking about Diablo 3

If u hate D3 for that reason then you'll hate POE even more.

If you Enjoy Diablo 2 then you will enjoy POE

Oh and the skill/Talent tree is basically the sphere grid from Final Fantasy 10.
bro much love thank you for this list, im level 40 and i was so overwhelmed and there was still some info on this list that helped m.

much love bro.

these should be the new PoE forums
Thankz Bud.
11/06/2018 06:41 PMPosted by aeligos
I tried PoE.

It fails in the physics and graphics departments.

So it's not going to work out.

I personally find PoE to be far superior to D3 with regard to graphics & physics. However, personal preferences isn't the point of this thread. I am not trying to "convert" anyone to PoE. The post is to help those who have already made up their minds and are open to try something new.
Everyone needs to stop talking about how PoE is some kind of messiah of the ARPG genre. Game sucks, period. Move on.
Could never get into it, tried circa 2013 but didn’t find it appealing. I’d recommend Grim Dawn to people who want a D2 vibe. Be warned while Grim Dawn is fun you will get burned out and bored of it. 1700 hrs of experience talking.
11/05/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Inferno
4. Get a premium stash tab if you want to be able to comfortably sell stuff to others. You can upgrade one of your regular stash tabs to premium ($1.5), or add a brand new premium tab ($4). Press “M” in the game to find out more

This isn't entirely true. You can buy store points in $5 (50 points), $10 (100 points), and $20 (200 points) packs so you're going to spend at least that much if you buy something. You can't just spend $1.50. This is probably my only real beef with how their store is arranged - not many things cost prices that end in "50" or "00" so you have to dink around with how many points you should buy. The supporter packs come with points too in varying amounts, but they run $30 and up with the exception of a one-time-only new player pack you can buy for $20.

It is nice that the premium stash bundle is an even 200 points and I suspect that's a pretty common purchase, but a lot of the prices end in 20/30/70/80/90 and in the end unless you want to buy multiple things that add up to a nice round amount you'll end up spending more than you wanted to.
11/05/2018 06:25 PMPosted by Tatsumaki
Thanks for this, really. I am one of those that decided to give POE a try. Yes it is pretty overwhelming and monkaS. I will admit that at first glance its a turn off that I have to do so much prep work and homework before even playing.

But i carried on. I got a loot filter, installed Path of Building (ha this is one of my gripes, that no one has mentioned that this tool is highly highly recommended for newbies when it comes to builds)

Trade wise I will try and avoid it for now, I prefer to be independent fully understanding that it will take longer. (I didn't know about the Solo Self-Found D:)

Everyone should be given a chance, and giving POE a chance too.

Good for you. It's an extremely deep game with lots of replay value. Lots of us have thousands of hours in it.