Was about to install D2 again but....

General Discussion
Just remembered Blizzard deletes accounts/characters that haven't logged in for 90 days... >_< !@%#$#%!@$#%!$@%#$!%@$#%$!@# - It has been years since I touched D2

That's how I feel
11/08/2018 09:18 AMPosted by daringpastry
Just remembered Blizzard deletes accounts/characters that haven't logged in for 90 days... >_< !@%#$#%!@$#%!$@%#$!%@$#%$!@# - It has been years since I touched D2

That's how I feel
sometime i log after 90 day and all my character are there
11/08/2018 09:20 AMPosted by charley222

That's how I feel

but years???? I haven't logged in for years.... lol
weird that they still do that

its not $200 for a 10GB hard drive anymore
Do a local character. You can still play with friends with tools like Hamachi which creates some kind of LAN with all your friends. Up to 5 people in the LAN are free. And the good thing is that the char doesn't get deleted.
i'm going to install it to see, but I am pretty sure it will be gone. I had a sorc with so much good gear lol...

I still have the 2 guest pass keys for vanilla WoW in this battle chest box... LOL - both never used.
well, I installed it and I know my username is right, but no clue on my password. The email I used when i was that young doesn't exist anymore, so I can't even see if my account could be recovered or not..lol
Yeah, if you haven't logged into your Diablo 2 account in years, then it's more than likely gone. You'll have to make a new one.

I don't know if they can even recover it.
if this was a YouTube comment on a Blizzard channel it would be deleted.
Diablo 2 still runs on the old Battlenet service. It has basically been unchanged for the last 16 years.
11/08/2018 09:52 AMPosted by AlKatiba
Do a local character. You can still play with friends with tools like Hamachi which creates some kind of LAN with all your friends. Up to 5 people in the LAN are free. And the good thing is that the char doesn't get deleted.

You don't need a third party service. Diablo 2 already has it. There are several ways to play.

-On your PC locally
-On Open Bnet (lan essentially that uses your local chars)
-Closed Bnet where chars are kept on the server.

11/08/2018 09:20 AMPosted by charley222

That's how I feel

Sometimes it works. What they do is flag the account after 90 days. Then, when they run the clean up script, it removes the flagged ones. If you can get back to it before they run that, you can get them still.

Mine are sadly long long gone. All 4 accounts :(
They can stay longer than 90 days. If the character is expired and somebody uses the name.. it will delete the expired character. Doesn't hurt to contact blizzard with as much info as you know about the account and just ask them.

found this:

AN EXPIRED CHARACTER MAY STILL BE ABLE TO BE USED, providing someone else has not recreated a new character with the same expired characters name, or the servers' automatic routine maintenance has not deleted the expired character. If this happens you will receive a "Player not found" error message and the character will be unrecoverable.

Any character that has expired and either been purged by maintenance or had its name used by another player can not be restored.
Leveling a new character in D2 in 2018 must be hard, oh wait, it can be, Duriel is a freaking bi*ch in normal, just found out myself.....again, after like 15 years xD
11/08/2018 11:08 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Sometimes it works. What they do is flag the account after 90 days. Then, when they run the clean up script, it removes the flagged ones. If you can get back to it before they run that, you can get them still.

Mine are sadly long long gone. All 4 accounts :(

I had twelve accounts. Six on USWest, six on USEast. All of them with a full 8 characters. Yes, I maintained 96 characters every season with most just for muling (but still above LV 75 in most cases). Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah, I spent way too much damn time with that game. Enjoyed every minute of it though! :)

That's how I feel
on my 4k monitor is 800x600 super tiny and fullscreen looks..well..you know.
11/08/2018 11:12 AMPosted by InsaneChriZ
Leveling a new character in D2 in 2018 must be hard, oh wait, it can be, Duriel is a freaking bi*ch in normal, just found out myself.....again, after like 15 years xD

It's very tough to go solo the whole way with no gear to feed your character. Normal isn't bad but once you hit NM and Hell you just get hit so hard, and don't have the gear for massive damage/defense yet. It is entertaining to try to build a character from scratch and clear the whole game in all difficulties ( or try to )

I have an established account still active and quite a bit of wealth... so I tend to skip all the content and do specific runs to level very fast and get right into Baal runs. I can hit 80 in a few hours if I get lucky with games. Majority of the good higher level exp runs are ran by bots.... I hardly ever talked to real people last time I played ~6 months ago.

Sadly I upgraded my computer a month ago... and it doesn't seem to run very well with Diablo 2....which doesn't make sense lol. I guess the computer is too powerful for that old of a game? I still have on my old laptop though!

I feel you. He killed me too.
11/08/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Calconious

It's very tough to go solo the whole way with no gear to feed your character. Normal isn't bad but once you hit NM and Hell you just get hit so hard, and don't have the gear for massive damage/defense yet. It is entertaining to try to build a character from scratch and clear the whole game in all difficulties ( or try to)

Nightmare is actually a breeze since you've already punched in some points into the skill you are actually wanting to use mainly which is mostly not the case until nearly act 5 normal, depending on the level requirement of the skill of course.
You don't need a third party service. Diablo 2 already has it. There are several ways to play.

-On your PC locally
-On Open Bnet (lan essentially that uses your local chars)
-Closed Bnet where chars are kept on the server.

Yes that is fine but if you don't want to have unwanted guests then Open BNet is not an option or is it possible to restrict access to your game meanwhile?
11/08/2018 11:40 AMPosted by AlKatiba
Yes that is fine but if you don't want to have unwanted guests then Open BNet is not an option or is it possible to restrict access to your game meanwhile?

I know closed b.net games can be named and password protected (requires 10 minutes of in-game activity to "save" the game to the live environment to allow solo muling), but I would assume open b.net works the same way. Name and password protect your game. Then only friends that know both the name and password can get in.