Primal Beam / Red Borders

PTR Feedback 2.6.4
Some feedback regarding the new primal changes.

Beam: The beam color is too light and easily confused with normal legendaries. Can we see this color darkened a bit so it stands out better between the brown/orange beam?

Border: Perhaps make the border go into the item a bit as well so its a little thicker?

Also, when you pickup a new item, such as a set green piece. If it is primal you cannot see the red border because of the new item glow around the item already. Perhaps make the primal border have priority over this glow so it is easier to see?
The red beam seems to be inconsistent as well. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. The item will still just have the beam color of the item type and not the primal beam it should have.
The beams do not stand out enough.
Red border should be thicker, agreed. And while we are on it: why no yellow (or purple?) border for ancient items?
No border = "normal" legs
Yellow/purple borders = ancient
Red = Primal

Just a suggestion
I have to agree with the consensus here, the borders need to be bolder and the beam a little darker. However I love the fact that it's instantly apparent in the stash as to what is primal, that is a nice touch.
I don't agree with the approach of having a special beam for primals. It is against all the notions of an Hack&Slash game. Remove that, but I agree that when an item is identified, it should have a special look in inventory/stash.

Likewise, why not doing the same for ancients ? Once identified, it would be great to have a different look, so we can spot them more easily.
11/21/2018 11:36 PMPosted by atom0s

Beam: The beam color is too light and easily confused with normal legendaries. Can we see this color darkened a bit so it stands out better between the brown/orange beam?

Border: Perhaps make the border go into the item a bit as well so its a little thicker?

Also, when you pickup a new item, such as a set green piece. If it is primal you cannot see the red border because of the new item glow around the item already. Perhaps make the primal border have priority over this glow so it is easier to see?

Wait, so when I just tried to reroll a primal Yangs, I may have and not known because they are not red until you look at them once?

This should be changed.
Thicker border, please.

And yes, add a border for ancient items too.

Without that, the game looks unfinished.
11/21/2018 11:36 PMPosted by atom0s

Yes. It just needs a way of standing out better (better contrast)between all the other beams. Realistically the only time it will be mixed up the way it is now (with all the drops in PTR) is at the end of rifts though, but it would still be great for it to stand out better anyway. Possibly have the primal set items have a red beam over the green beam, as this is the more relevant bit of information?
White items have a white font
Blue items have a blue font
Yellow items have a yellow font
Orange items have a orange font
Green items have a green font

So red items have should have a red font, too. instead of orange.
Would be consistent, wouldn't it?
Agree with the above. Not sure if it's just too similar, or doesnt work properly, but twice now I have had a primal drop, and not seen the red beam (either from it not being there, or being too similar to the orange ones). When i identify it, and drop it in town, i see a red beam.

Imo needs to be alot more distinguishable, either a different colour (Yellow?) or alot brighter.

Also, how about a sound effect? If when u are farming, crafting or id'ing you got a bell chime or something to signify a primal, that would be a moment of excitement.
Instead of having a hard to see red border, why not draw a small triangle in the bottom right of the item. Red triangle for primal, yellow triangle for ancient.
I believe that the beam should definitely be stronger in color / easier to detect. Red is a hard color to balance because something too neon can become annoying and irritate the eyes. Too soft and it blends with the browns.

Additionally, I'd like to request a color for ancients because after a certain point in the leveling / grinding experience nothing will be an upgrade unless it's ancient.

11/22/2018 03:53 PMPosted by DreamKiller
I don't agree with the approach of having a special beam for primals. It is against all the notions of an Hack&Slash game. Remove that, but I agree that when an item is identified, it should have a special look in inventory/stash.

Likewise, why not doing the same for ancients ? Once identified, it would be great to have a different look, so we can spot them more easily.

If you dont have an issue with the set and legendary beams you can't really have an issue with the primal beams. The set and legendary beams are there to help players identify that an item with imporance has dropped and the player should likely go back and pick it up. Since the beams were implemented he rate at which we find legendaries has increased and normal sets and legendaries have become increasingly common. Some people choose to leave legendaries on the ground and not pick them up at all. Primal are a different story because they are much rarer.
If primal has a special beam for itself, why ancients don't have one also ? You do know that an ancient can be as perfect as a primal ? So this is inconsistent among the different classes of legs/sets. Also, this is a game where you should have to identified the objects before knowing its value. Red beams simply don't make sense. Like I said many times, once it is identified, there should be a very clear indication of the class of the item, like a bright triangle at the bottom right : red for primal, yellow for ancient, none for normal.
11/23/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Kitchmann
White items have a white font
Blue items have a blue font
Yellow items have a yellow font
Orange items have a orange font
Green items have a green font

So red items have should have a red font, too. instead of orange.
Would be consistent, wouldn't it?

The problem with this is it breaks the color bounds for Set and Regular Legendary items. My thought was to add in red text while on the ground. this would help in seeing that you found one. The other stuff like the red border and the primal background will help to identify it while in your inventory.
Think primals are now better displayed in inventory.
Red and green is a not good combo though.

A lot of people have a "red-green weakness". That doesn't mean that they can see the difference on a traffic light - that is quite easy for most. Depends probably.

It is not that people can't see the difference but the difference will be pretty small. I do suffer from that slightly.

On live it is hard to see the red border if I check a item for 1 second (or less). Sure I can see the difference if I actually compare them and take my time. So currently I relied on chat message, where you see the brackets - alternatively I scanned for a +1000/650 - way faster to see than the border.

Why not have color for primals that is easy to spot? I think that would solve a lot of issues for most people who struggle with red and green. You might use black or white - that is easy to see for most. There should be a couple of UI guides how you handle the red-green weakness. Blue would also work - as you get the sound and white or blue items can't be legendaries or set items.

Red, orange, brown and green - that is all similar to a lot of people. It is also often mentioned in the forums: "Got a brown item" or "Got an orange item". And so on ...

Would be easy to fix that and Blizz could sell it as beeing inclusive. Good PR and can be done quite easily.

Fixing the tone of red - that is complicated. Why not make it easy and use a colour that stands out?

Another item that's hard to spot is Mara amulet vs Travellers pledge. They do look the same to me - I get the difference when looking at stats.
11/26/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Kindergarten
A lot of people have a "red-green weakness"

This game has never been attuned to color issues for people. Red text, green text, green items, now red items, visual spells, ground effects, etc.
They are not going to be able to render all the issues without using Red-Green somewhere.
The Primal indicator needs to be a totally different contrasting color or dual colored with a much more distinct ground marker.