Folks who miss the AH or RMAH. Why do you want it back?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
11/22/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Omega
I dont understand most people when it comes to the auction house. I feel the idea was great, it was another way to interact with the game oter than endleslly grinding, it was a way to spend your gold in a way where the only way back then was on repair, and today is empowering grifts.

I dont understand why the hate on the auction house, i abhor the REAL MONEY auction house because that was simply HIDEOUS. but not the AH.
BTW, could you guys who dislikes the auction house only, explain to me why? i truly cant understand, and i actually felt sad when they took both down and not only the RMAH.

Diablo style games is all about the hunt for loot. The journey to get the loot. To build your character, and see the fruition of your build.

Auction House systems spoil all of that because it boils the game down to just currency.

Instead of hunting for the particular piece you need, you run the place that provides the most gold per hour. Then you buy the piece from someone else, who likely had the piece randomly drop during their run of the place that provides the most gold per hour.

Of course this massive amount of gold grinding is just going to massively inflate the costs as the value of the gold itself drops. This is why in D2 people stopped trading in gold. Gold became something you threw at the gambling vendor or for repairs. Instead people used Stone of Jordan as the trade currency. Gold lost all value when you got people running around with most of their characters gold capped.

AH also completely eliminates social interaction. Instead of talking to someone to try to figure out a trade deal you just throw your gold at a listing and move on.

To accommodate the AH drop rates need to be modified, which leads to the initial issues with Diablo 3: your upgrades never dropped in your game, they dropped in someone else's.

Sure was "fun" just farming up 30k gold so that the next leveling bracket you hit you can just hit the AH and just buy the dirt cheap upgrades that will be the best things you will find for the next 10 levels. Where you will then hit up the AH to get the next 10 levels worth of upgrades.

Course all those dirt cheap gear was just gear that people were desperate to sell because they were garbage for them, even though they were massive upgrades for you.

Its why Diablo 3 became known as "Auction House Simulator 3" until the AH was removed.
The auction house WAS A GOOD "IDEA". However it didn't pan out so well. It made trading and item acquisition way too easy.

Granted i do love the economies inside games. It's really fun to buy low and sell high or hunt for super rare items worth tons (not just real money but gold as well).

I have never faulted D3 for the RMAH. It was an attempt to cut 3rd party sellers out that didn't work out as well as they wanted it too. What i fault them for is the terrible story, boring items, lack of multiplayer support, and shallow character progression.
11/22/2018 05:49 PMPosted by Omega
I really think people here got it wrong with how the look drop worked, because it became really rare because of the greedy side of blizzard putting the RMAH, the AH wouldnt not disrupt the game because there would be no reason to, just one more way to interact with the community.
Imagine a AH right now on how d3 is with loot 2.0, you could use your gold in some way other than only empowering grifts basicaly. I cant believe people would not like this option, it really boggles me.

The more ways to interact with a game you love, the better!
And i totally agree with everybody about the RMAH, that was the thing that killed part of the game, they make loot really rare so youd have to spend money if you wanted some gear, but not with only the AH now with how the game is.
Not so much that dude. AH made getting item easier so the drop rate had to be lower other wise it would way to easy to gear up.
pay to win? wait for Diablo Immortal
i dont like AH, esp RMAH, its stupid. We just need an ingame trade between player, create a lobby and we can trade. How about use something like Ramadalni gift for currency?
11/22/2018 05:50 PMPosted by TankHunter
11/22/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Omega
I dont understand most people when it comes to the auction house. I feel the idea was great, it was another way to interact with the game oter than endleslly grinding, it was a way to spend your gold in a way where the only way back then was on repair, and today is empowering grifts.

I dont understand why the hate on the auction house, i abhor the REAL MONEY auction house because that was simply HIDEOUS. but not the AH.
BTW, could you guys who dislikes the auction house only, explain to me why? i truly cant understand, and i actually felt sad when they took both down and not only the RMAH.

Diablo style games is all about the hunt for loot. The journey to get the loot. To build your character, and see the fruition of your build.

Auction House systems spoil all of that because it boils the game down to just currency.

Instead of hunting for the particular piece you need, you run the place that provides the most gold per hour. Then you buy the piece from someone else, who likely had the piece randomly drop during their run of the place that provides the most gold per hour.

Of course this massive amount of gold grinding is just going to massively inflate the costs as the value of the gold itself drops. This is why in D2 people stopped trading in gold. Gold became something you threw at the gambling vendor or for repairs. Instead people used Stone of Jordan as the trade currency. Gold lost all value when you got people running around with most of their characters gold capped.

AH also completely eliminates social interaction. Instead of talking to someone to try to figure out a trade deal you just throw your gold at a listing and move on.

To accommodate the AH drop rates need to be modified, which leads to the initial issues with Diablo 3: your upgrades never dropped in your game, they dropped in someone else's.

Sure was "fun" just farming up 30k gold so that the next leveling bracket you hit you can just hit the AH and just buy the dirt cheap upgrades that will be the best things you will find for the next 10 levels. Where you will then hit up the AH to get the next 10 levels worth of upgrades.

Course all those dirt cheap gear was just gear that people were desperate to sell because they were garbage for them, even though they were massive upgrades for you.

Its why Diablo 3 became known as "Auction House Simulator 3" until the AH was removed.

I disagree with you on several points, for example massive amount of gold would inflate the AH, no it wouldnt because seasons reset every thing!
I disagree with you when you said " Instead of hunting for the particular piece you need" the game is FULL RNG, you dont hunt a particular piece... understand? you drop it by luck! not like D2 when there were bosses that dropped specific uniques (that was AWESOME BTW, wish d3 had that).

And about getting gold, yould be farming because yould need to drop the vault right, and you only drop by farming.
The AH is like a win/win situation on the game on it's current state, it would be really good. But i know that Blizz will never put it up because it would cost them money to control and server the AH.
Liked the regular auction house but not the rmah. But ppl cried so they just took trading away pretty much all together. Never played an online game where the only trading u can do is if a drop is found while in that group lol. Blizzard isn't the only ones who ruined this game, ppl did too. Cry about legendary, no worry guys! Will buff legendary by 1000% so you will get so many that blue items are rarer drops.

We don't want the auction house, no worry guys! We will just take away 99% of your trading.

We can't do inferno blizzard, it too hard!!! No worry guys! We will make sets so powerful, you can one shot everything!

I'm sad blizzard no end game content. Shut up, we gave you bounties and useless set dungeons you cry babies.

Oh well, wonder what the next disaster they will put in game.
11/22/2018 05:58 PMPosted by SelezVega
i dont like AH, esp RMAH, its stupid. We just need an ingame trade between player, create a lobby and we can trade. How about use something like Ramadalni gift for currency?
If they can find a way to keep people from getting scammed. Maybe there can be some kind auto give back option for all trades I don't know I have got no real ideas. Maybe after a trade for short time both party's can choose to undo the trade maybe?
11/22/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Sparrow
The auction house WAS A GOOD "IDEA". However it didn't pan out so well. It made trading and item acquisition way too easy.

Granted i do love the economies inside games. It's really fun to buy low and sell high or hunt for super rare items worth tons (not just real money but gold as well).

[/quote]

Thats what i mean. it would be awesome to have it implemented on how D3 is now. the AH ONLY
AH also got really inflated so that it was just people farming to play AH. Didn’t feel like diablo, more like ah with diablo theme.

I do like current system that prohibits trading much better. If diablo was free, bring on AH. But if I’m paying for the box, then no way.
One of the reasons why Diablo II was so successful was because trading of part of the gaming experience. We do not have that with Diablo 3. I personally was a fan of the AH however I did not like the RMAH.

They should have changed the Auction house so that it was a "trading post" where players put up items to trade and other players made offers. Players could make offers to multiple items using their same items in their inventory however when a offer is accepted, any other offers that utilized that item would be voided immediately.

When the seller see's an offer they like they can "accept" the trade and it would be finalized and all other offers would be automatically rejected.

Also make it where items could ONLY be traded on the trading post, this would minimize botters and provide an effective means of punishment by preventing specific accounts from trading items if they are suspected of breaking the ToS.

Nearly everyone who played Diablo 2 (those who were die hard fans) used d2jsp to trade and they used forum gold, still do actually. This was an issue as gold was your currency and it was controlled by others who effectively had the power to screw you over if they did not like something you said or did. For me it was insanely time consuming however it filled a void that Blizzard never resolved in Diablo 2.

With Diablo 3, I usually play each new season until I reach about paragon 700-800ish and I get burnt out. I don't want to spend the time investing in another character and grinding another character to get gear as I'm an adult now and I have a job and two kids. I still however enjoy the Diablo franchise and grew up playing D1 and D2 but Diablo 3 does not "incentivize" me to keep playing like Diablo 2 did where I could find useless gear for me and trade it to build my char. To me that was part of the experience, that is what made it feel rewarding to me.

This type of trading would prevent people from botting and "selling" their items for cash on websites as it would be impossible to identify who was making the offer for the item being sold as it would be anonymous and free market would prevent someone from trading a potion for a primal obviously.
11/22/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Midnight
AH also got really inflated so that it was just people farming to play AH. Didn’t feel like diablo, more like ah with diablo theme.

I do like current system that prohibits trading much better. If diablo was free, bring on AH. But if I’m paying for the box, then no way.
I want trading but I under stand why its not in the game. Before D3 with D2 people getting scammed on trade was not uncommon.

Exactly, AH now on how the loot drops are working would be GREAT.
11/22/2018 05:45 PMPosted by Gorganis
The AH itself wasn't a problem. The problem is that it launched along with a very unrewarding loot system. You could play for hours and not see a single legendary. And most legendaries were outclasses by good rares. This led people to resort to spending most of their time surfing the AH, as actually grinding mobs just wasn't worth it in comparison.

Trading itself is not a problem. It was one of my favourite parts of D2. I made lots of friends trading items. But having trading or an AH with a poor loot system is just a terrible combination. D2 struck a much better balance.

You make good points.

I think the D2 trading system was flawed in its own way too. I am tired of spamming in chat the various items I am selling. I am tired of farming perf gems > IST runes > Ber/Jah > item I want.
11/22/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Fieryeel
11/22/2018 05:45 PMPosted by Gorganis
The AH itself wasn't a problem. The problem is that it launched along with a very unrewarding loot system. You could play for hours and not see a single legendary. And most legendaries were outclasses by good rares. This led people to resort to spending most of their time surfing the AH, as actually grinding mobs just wasn't worth it in comparison.

Trading itself is not a problem. It was one of my favourite parts of D2. I made lots of friends trading items. But having trading or an AH with a poor loot system is just a terrible combination. D2 struck a much better balance.

You make good points.

I think the D2 trading system was flawed in its own way too. I am tired of spamming in chat the various items I am selling. I am tired of farming perf gems > IST runes > Ber/Jah > item I want.
I want no AH trading back with safe guards for people so they don't get screwed.
11/22/2018 06:08 PMPosted by SirSmokes

I want trading but I under stand why its not in the game. Before D3 with D2 people getting scammed on trade was not uncommon.

My idea completely resolves this issue.
11/22/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Crypto
11/22/2018 06:08 PMPosted by SirSmokes
... I want trading but I under stand why its not in the game. Before D3 with D2 people getting scammed on trade was not uncommon.

My idea completely resolves this issue.
Yea that's not bad way to do it. There are ways you can get proper trading back in the game. Half the fun was finding a really really good drop that was just not good for your build and trying trade it for something you could use.
So I can sell off Primal Blackthorns
11/22/2018 05:31 PMPosted by MetalCabal
I guess my position is that I just like to see a trading system, because I suspect it would curtail the account selling and other stupid services that get spammed in the genchat. I think that stuff is ridiculous...again...just my op.

So you'd rather have 3rd party gold and item sellers spamming general chat? Because that's what happened in D2.
11/22/2018 05:22 PMPosted by SirSmokes
I want to play the game not the auction house. The auction house effected the drop rates in game and messed up the grind.

It didn't affect the drop rates, it was set at a very low for other reasons. If we forgo the real money aspect of the auction house, it wasn't bad at all, and pretty much on par with Diablo 2 and Path of Exile, or any game basically, that allows for open trading.

The only thing that the auction house did was allow for a convenient, fast and scam-free trading environment, and as such it worked beautifully. But then we have the drop rates, that forked it all up, giving us instead of an extreme on one end, another extreme on the other.

All Blizzard needed to do was close the RMAH and increase the drop rates and it would have been fine. That would have at least meant player had a choice. Instead we get utterly and completely showered in items, heck, you're even given a free, complete set of your choice after a day or so of playing a Season.

That, if anything, has messed up the grind; there isn't one any more. Now you grind Paragon.