Folks who miss the AH or RMAH. Why do you want it back?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
11/22/2018 06:02 PMPosted by Omega
I disagree with you on several points, for example massive amount of gold would inflate the AH, no it wouldnt because seasons reset every thing!

Current currency cannot support an AH, what exactly are you going to trade for gold? I can make over 100M in a single 5 min rift without even attempting a gold farming build and this is hardly 2~3 days into season, without a real use for gold it has absolutelly no value.

I disagree with you when you said " Instead of hunting for the particular piece you need" the game is FULL RNG, you dont hunt a particular piece... understand? you drop it by luck! not like D2 when there were bosses that dropped specific uniques (that was AWESOME BTW, wish d3 had that).

But you do hunt particular pieces with just as much or even less randomness as D2, the cube allows you to craft and aim for a particular item type, Kadala does the same, then you have cube reforging were you literally get the exact same item with other rolls, this is honestly far better at target farming a given legendary than D2 ever was, there is are reason why getting everything needed for a build is so easy compared to D2.
11/22/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Omega
I dont understand most people when it comes to the auction house. I feel the idea was great, it was another way to interact with the game oter than endleslly grinding, it was a way to spend your gold in a way where the only way back then was on repair, and today is empowering grifts.

I dont understand why the hate on the auction house, i abhor the REAL MONEY auction house because that was simply HIDEOUS. but not the AH.
BTW, could you guys who dislikes the auction house only, explain to me why? i truly cant understand, and i actually felt sad when they took both down and not only the RMAH.

Why because it was a gateway for chinese money farms to exploit the game easier. Also its a fricking ARPG the point is to FIND YOUR OWN LOOT. Why would you want to play a ARPG where u can just buy what you want from a shop it totally defeats the purpose.
11/22/2018 05:32 PMPosted by SirSmokes
No not so much that but if drop rate were too high then Auction House would make rare item worthless.

Well, don't set it too high, then. Problem solved. There are plenty of items trading for ridiculous sums in Path of Exile despite the open trade, both in temp leagues as well as in standard. Just like it was in Diablo 2, by the way.

Open trading/auction house together with a reset Season/Ladder feature to flush the economy would've been awesome. Instead we got one Legendary drop a minute and NPC's with targeted loot acquisition which isn't exactly neither finding your own loot nor slaying monsters, which was Blizzards "design philosophy" at the time.

Besides the fact that you actually CAN trade every Legendary BiS item with anyone... as long as they're in the same group when it dropped, which of course left those of us who play the game solo nowhere near the gear acquired over time spent.

Blizzard went from one bad to another bad.
I never got to experience it, it was one of my regrets.

But most complaints for not having it just seem so wrong, people making it out like blizzard had a knife to your throat making you buy crap.

Well I don't like playing diablo 3 on computer because every monster lag jumps at me and screen freezes in desert, but there really isn't anything I can spend gold on, not even gambling because that is blood stone only.

I personally don't like the loot drops on cpu because it sucks that every loot will give me stats based on my character, and legendary aren't legendary.
They should fix the crafting though its hardly needed anymore on the cpu.
I remember spending hundreds for magic find gear... Guess where those gear are now? Yep, no more AH plz. Just give us a way to get the best gear like the cube. Now if we can have a better chance of getting a useful primal, I'd be jolly.
11/22/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Gadra
Why because it was a gateway for chinese money farms to exploit the game easier.

Too many americans hiring chinese to farm loot so they could sell it online created the gateway. Kinda sucks that we can't have nice things because people turn everything into a business.
11/22/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Vresiberba
11/22/2018 05:32 PMPosted by SirSmokes
No not so much that but if drop rate were too high then Auction House would make rare item worthless.

Well, don't set it too high, then. Problem solved. There are plenty of items trading for ridiculous sums in Path of Exile despite the open trade, both in temp leagues as well as in standard. Just like it was in Diablo 2, by the way.

Open trading/auction house together with a reset Season/Ladder feature to flush the economy would've been awesome. Instead we got one Legendary drop a minute and NPC's with targeted loot acquisition which isn't exactly neither finding your own loot nor slaying monsters, which was Blizzards "design philosophy" at the time.

Besides the fact that you actually CAN trade every Legendary BiS item with anyone... as long as they're in the same group when it dropped, which of course left those of us who play the game solo nowhere near the gear acquired over time spent.

Blizzard went from one bad to another bad.
That's the thing maybe the AH can work with a better loot system.
11/22/2018 06:39 PMPosted by ReapBurn
I never got to experience it, it was one of my regrets.

But most complaints for not having it just seem so wrong, people making it out like blizzard had a knife to your throat making you buy crap.

If you didn't experience it you have no idea, this was pretty much the case use the AH or get stuck not getting upgrades, just ask yourself how many times have you gotten a weapon with the 6 stats you desire, multiply that for every gear slot and add even more randomness since there were more stats on each pool and wider ranges on each stat, not to mention you could get main stat of other class on class exclusive items making them 100% worthless.
As long as it doesn't affect the drop rate. Meaning the drop rate would be actually playable kinda like it is now. Totally fine with it if it was just an option for grinding and the drop rate would not be designed AH in mind.
11/22/2018 05:50 PMPosted by TankHunter
Diablo style games is all about the hunt for loot. The journey to get the loot. To build your character, and see the fruition of your build.

Indeed, it is about the hunt, which open trade doesn't prevent or stand in the way of. Being showered in items due to excessive drop rate isn't hunting. Standing in town clicking in a shop window spending currency you can use only there isn't hunting. Being given a whole, free set after a day of game play just because you reached an artificial goal isn't hunting. None of the features Blizzard traded for the auction house made that loot hunt any better, more interesting or fun.

11/22/2018 05:50 PMPosted by TankHunter
Instead of hunting for the particular piece you need, you run the place that provides the most gold per hour. Then you buy the piece from someone else, who likely had the piece randomly drop during their run of the place that provides the most gold per hour.

How is this any different from Kadala and Kulle? It isn't, you do the same thing just not with people.
I really liked the gold AH. I mainly played HC back then so the RM auction house was never a burden.

For me it was a good change of pace to grinding and sifting through all the sweet items out there even if I couldnt afford them.

Remember back then you could roll a stength crit Mempo playing a Witch Doctor, for example...the game was completely different and it wasn't easy to gear yourself out from game play.
Only thing I miss about the AH was finding the items you needed with the right stats rolled on it. As of now I think I have everything I need besides primals but having an item drop 50 times with wrong main and second stats is annoying.
A rewarding loot system that gives you useful item at the same time giving you rare special items that you don't find on a every run.
From experience my issues with the Auction House in Diablo 3 vanilla.

On launch Diablo 3 almost has a greatly designed game system, the diffficulty was almost as challenging as Diablo 2, there was a trading system in game that had monitization to go back to Diablo dev's and potentially provide funding for the expansion of the game.

However, the itemisation was designed that at a certain difficulty and this is as an example I c, I think Torment the monsters on Act 2 were double the strength of Act 1 and Act 3 were double the strength of Act 2, so on and so forth. This wasn't a bad thing but was hard.

On top of this actual randomised loot, so you would get items drop that had +Dext +Int +Str on the same item and legendaries were very few and far between, Items also had a level based on what you were playing, I think in torment it was 60 (Act 1 & 2), 61 (Act 3)and 62 where for example 62 had a 1:1000 drop rate in Act 3 haha.
Items were not based around today's set meta, there was no %10000 damage, not even %800 damage, some of the best items in the game in fact were standard legendary weapons like Shard of Hate which added %200.

So looking at the above information, to upgrade you had to find items that rolled your characters stat (1/4 chance), rolled high stats (very low chance), on top of that due to difficulty you likely had to actually farm a single act over and a over to find one of these extremely rare (current level + chraracter stat + high roll) on your hero until you could progress to the next act. Due to the difficulties, RNG and incredibly low drop rates this was absurd, I only play solo self found and I can tell you I spent almost the entire game up to 1.8 stuck farming act 2 and 3 (like a year)...

This of course meant that even people who wanted to find loot, eventually used the auction house to progress. And those that used the Auction house to start realized the drop rates and items were too hard to get and only played for a limited time before quitting. That's all of my friend that played Diablo 3, used the auction house, got bored and left, half of them returned after 1.8.

This is my memory of the game, I don't really care for an Auction House as it ruined the entire game design last time, they made drop rates so low that it allowed people to progress through the auction house to the highest levels, then use the auction house to profit off others, Auction House was quite literally the end game for Diablo vanilla.
What I do miss about when the auction house was around was the vanilla difficulties, I wish they had have stayed with improved drop rates and without "smart loot" it's actually quite silly that you now have smart loot and still have like 3 different ways to make a tailored item even more tailored, there is literally no point in having auction house in the current game, it takes like a day to get haedrigs gift and push rifts.

I am not against trading, I think they should have trading mechanics in the next game, but I also think they need to remove smart loot and this absurd drop rate, three tiered legendary system, if they can do that and get a balance where self-found is playable, and trading improves the game then fine. But it should definitely not be a straight up auction house unless it's tied into a guild or trading system that enriches the community and doesn't negatively impact game play.
From experience my issues with the Auction House in Diablo 3 vanilla.

On launch Diablo 3 almost has a greatly designed game system, the diffficulty was almost as challenging as Diablo 2, there was a trading system in game that had monitization to go back to Diablo dev's and potentially provide funding for the expansion of the game.

However, the itemisation was designed that at a certain difficulty and this is as an example I c, I think Torment the monsters on Act 2 were double the strength of Act 1 and Act 3 were double the strength of Act 2, so on and so forth. This wasn't a bad thing but was hard.

On top of this actual randomised loot, so you would get items drop that had +Dext +Int +Str on the same item and legendaries were very few and far between, Items also had a level based on what you were playing, I think in torment it was 60 (Act 1 & 2), 61 (Act 3)and 62 where for example 62 had a 1:1000 drop rate in Act 3 haha.
Items were not based around today's set meta, there was no %10000 damage, not even %800 damage, some of the best items in the game in fact were standard legendary weapons like Shard of Hate which added %200.

So looking at the above information, to upgrade you had to find items that rolled your characters stat 1/4 chance there, rolled high stats very low chance there, due to difficulty you likely had to actually farm story mode on a single act over and a over to find extremely rare current level + chraracter stat on your hero until you could progress to the next act. Due to the difficulties, RNG and incredibly low drop rates this was absurd, I only play solo self found and I can tell you I spent almost the entire game up to 1.8 stuck farming act 2 and 3 (like a year)...

This of course meant that even people who wanted to find loot, eventually used the auction house to progress. And those that used the Auction house to start realized the drop rates and items were too hard to get and only played for a limited time before quitting. That's all of my friend that played Diablo 3, used the auction house, got bored and left, half of them returned after 1.8.

This is my memory of the game, I don't really care for an Auction House as it ruined the entire game design last time, they made drop rates so low that it allowed people to progress through the auction house to the highest levels, then use the auction house to profit off others, Auction House was quit literally the end game for Diablo vanilla.
What I do miss about when the auction house was around was the vanilla difficulties, I wish they had have stayed with improved drop rates and without "smart loot" it's actually quite silly that you now have smart loot and still have like 3 different ways to make a tailored item even more tailored, there is literally no point in having auction house in the current game, it takes like a day to get haedrigs gift and push rifts.

I am not against trading, I think they should have trading mechanics in the next game, but I also think they need to remove smart loot and this absurd drop rate, three tiered legendary system, if they can do that and get a balance where self-found is playable, and trading improves the game then fine. But it should definitely not be a straight up auction house unless it's tied into a guild or trading system that enriches the community and doesn't negatively impact game play.
Yup this is spot on.

I disagree with you on several points, for example massive amount of gold would inflate the AH, no it wouldnt because seasons reset every thing!

Gold is so easy to get in a season that you have people entering the low billions early on into a season. Especially thanks to puzzle rings on T13 which you can just keep using your death's breaths you are getting from your farming on converting rings for.

I disagree with you when you said " Instead of hunting for the particular piece you need" the game is FULL RNG, you dont hunt a particular piece... understand? you drop it by luck! not like D2 when there were bosses that dropped specific uniques (that was AWESOME BTW, wish d3 had that).

The game being RNG on drops does not change the fact you normally hunt for particular pieces for your intended build. Which becomes 1000x simpler when you can just buy it off someone else. You only need to worry about gold and inflating prices then. You stop looking for loot in your sessions, you start looking for maximum gold per hour.

And about getting gold, yould be farming because yould need to drop the vault right, and you only drop by farming.

No, you do not farm gold by trying to bet on treasure goblins giving you a vault. You farm gold by doing areas that either have large trash packs and hopefully weak elite packs you just lolsmash easily, or areas with large amounts of destructibles you just lolsmash and reset.

In fact there were several quick gold making methods nerfed early into D3V because the game devolved into gold farming for buying gear upgrades. People were botting for gold to the point that gold prices just escalated out of control. With gold gain only slowed by rapid fire nerfs to gold making methods as soon as they became known.

The AH is like a win/win situation on the game on it's current state, it would be really good. But i know that Blizz will never put it up because it would cost them money to control and server the AH.

The AH is pretty much a lose/lose because it shortens out the loot reward cycle needed to keep a loot centric game functional and fun. Instead of loot being the reward you hunt for, you just farm gold because it is the most effective way for you to obtain the loot.

Instead of slaying enemies for loot, you play Auction House Simulator for loot. Loot becomes just a facilitator for earning more gold more quickly, until you hit the gold cap and inflation causes your loot upgrades to be running for half of the gold cap.

Again, this is why trading in D2 changed to be centered around a piece of loot that had a low drop rate, the Stone of Jordan. Due to the fact it was not so easy to get it had value, while gold which dropped in mass was as valuable as dirt.

This is also why Path of Exile got rid of the gold system entirely, instead every currency item is a item for crafting. This means that as much as currency is getting into the game it is being organically removed from the game as it gets used for its intended purpose.

This is also why currently every successful Diablo style game has avoided AH systems. Why trading between players in those games has been loot for loot or loot for crafting reagents.

Gold, as a currency, in Diablo style games is worthless.

Gold is also the only currency that would work in an AH system.
I just want vanilla back.
I want it back because I want trading back. If I'm playing by myself and I find something really cool for someone who isn't currently online, I want to be able to give that item to my friend.

Asking for trading to come back, to many, is just asking for the third party market to come back and if the third party market comes back, might as well just have it all supported within the game itself.

--so my reasons are just connected to the AH, not about the AH specifically.
So my wish for 3.0 is the introduction of a trading post (similar to Auction House)

People can put items up for trade and other people can search and view such items and make offers on them. Those who posted the item to trade originally would see such offers and either accept or decline them.

Completely anonymous, trading between users in game is prohibited (to prevent websites from selling gear directly to make $$$). This would make it impossible for botters to make $$$ directly from the trades anonymity and free market would prevent them from trading a primal for a potion.
I learn a lot of stock market knowledge from play the RMAH