Folks who miss the AH or RMAH. Why do you want it back?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
because my diablo farm back then was more profitable than my bitcoin farm today
Most people who responded to this thread are missing the point all together. OP didn't ask why you don't want it, he's asking the people who DO want it back - why?,Most people who responded to this thread are missing the point all together. OP didn't ask why you don't want it, he's asking the people who DO want it back - why?
It definitely wasn't a perfect system... but it provided an economy which made finding items more exciting for the times when something dropped and you may not be able to use it. Instead of everything instantly getting broken down it then became a question of, "Would someone buy this?"

Again, it wasn't perfect by any means but the extreme no-trading system they've gone to is no fun at all. A lot of reason I enjoyed D2 and D3's AH was for the economy and feeling like I was amassing wealth. It was another part of the game that added some depth and some alternative. I have some fun memories of trying to snipe items and bid things the last second only to turn around and sell them for more! Plus the occasional RMAH sale got me super hyped :D
AH was fine IMHO. There was a small group which exploited it or spent time on it rather than playing the game but this wasn't an issue for the community at large. I'd say it made the game playable especially in the dark days before ROS.

It's also a decent alternative to the current drop system (I like both). I don't like in-game trading.

RMAH is not fine.
It was horrible for the game, no doubt. But, it was kind of neat to make money from a video game. My best sell back then was a Witching Hour for $90
Because these are the same folks that will spew cash into a game just to top other people. They probably even get a sense of accomplishment out of it. Heeeeyyyyy.... You found your credit card.
11/22/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Omega
I dont understand most people when it comes to the auction house. I feel the idea was great, it was another way to interact with the game oter than endleslly grinding, it was a way to spend your gold in a way where the only way back then was on repair, and today is empowering grifts.

I dont understand why the hate on the auction house, i abhor the REAL MONEY auction house because that was simply HIDEOUS. but not the AH.
BTW, could you guys who dislikes the auction house only, explain to me why? i truly cant understand, and i actually felt sad when they took both down and not only the RMAH.

In theory, the idea of the AH is good in that it provided a scam free environment for people to exchange goods. The reality of the AH, however, is that was manipulated and instead of items going from one user to the other, middle men saw fit to interject themselves to jack up costs and keep things out of the hands of those that could actually use whatever.

Of various flaws in the system, I'd denote the following:
- Fees being extracted on-sale as oppose to listing did not encourage sellers to be honest.
- Those with multiple accounts had a huge advantage in moving goods and could artificially bloat costs with "fake" bids.
- A lack of ownership/price history on listed items to potentially identify people trying to flip.
- There was not a mechanism that prevented the immediate relisting of a sold item, how long of which should have corresponded to its sale cost.
- It was not the only way to trade, either via the RMAH equivalent or face-to-face.
- The really good things were pushed to the RMAH or third-party sites to break the $250 cap, anyway.
- Solo self-found was compromised to justify its existence, also making it incredibly unlikely your average player would find anything good to sell, themselves.

All of the above more or less snowballed into it being more productive to play the AH than the game if you wanted to gear up, with productivity further affecting RL when it comes to cash and some reinvesting that into multiple accounts so they could make even more.

And the looming specter of the trading argument ever since has been that people don't mind its existence, they mind if being mandatory. Unfortunately, the moment it isn't mandatory, the tycoons wail because "everyone has everything" or "nothing has any value", thus making the usual profiteering tactics pointless. And by mandatory, I mean the alternative being you have farm hundreds of items just to see one, often build defining, item, maybe, if you don't partake. No sane player has time for that.
11/22/2018 11:20 PMPosted by Saidosha
In theory, the idea of the AH is good in that it provided a scam free environment for people to exchange goods. The reality of the AH, however, is that was manipulated and instead of items going from one user to the other, middle men saw fit to interject themselves to jack up costs and keep things out of the hands of those that could actually use whatever.

[/quote]

In the first month or two of D3 release, such a thing happened with Lacuni Prowlers. A group of wealthy players took it upon themselves to buy out literally every single LP on the AH, then resell them for a higher price. Any new LP would be instantly bought out and resold at their pricing.
One of the main contributing factors to Diablo 3 failing as a Diablo game upon launch was the Auction House.

The game wasn't Diablo, it was Auction House Tycoon. That was the entire end game.
11/22/2018 05:23 PMPosted by MetalCabal
I didn't start playing d3 until the RMAH was already gone, and personally, I prefer to see it (or some version of trading) back, but its just my op.

-1 million
Change your opinion and stop behaving like a little kid.

Both of the ahs were a real bad idea. Real Bad.

Even if you had Bill Gates type of money, they were still really bad. The items that I end a season with on my toons now are normally much better than anything you could find on any of the auction houses, even the top items.

Still thinking you'd like to see them? They would intentionally make drop rates very low compared to now just so players selling an item will feel they caught the carrot on the stick, finally.

Been there done that, trust me, only these players that started playing after the ah's ended are saying they want them. Back then you could play for 20 hours, maybe get through A2 inferno, and get only 1 sell-able item in those 20 hours, and it would be more than likely mediocre.

Trust me and anyone else who played inferno from day 1....

....the AH's were a horrible feature of vanilla D3.

Be glad they are gone!

I continue to play to this day, only because they scrapped the whole auction thing and raised the drop rates to an acceptable level. Scrapping them was due to probably some legality issues as well, but I'm glad they are gone.

ENOUGH!
The whole point is that a trading system improves the social aspect of a game.

The problem with this game though is that the itemization would have to change in order for trading to return. That means it is better left for the new games like D4.
11/22/2018 06:22 PMPosted by Vresiberba
It didn't affect the drop rates

Yes, it did. The drop rates hideously bad because of the AH.
11/23/2018 12:59 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
The whole point is that a trading system improves the social aspect of a game.

The problem with this game though is that the itemization would have to change in order for trading to return. That means it is better left for the new games like D4.
Problem with social systems is you have build them around what I like to call the "Cream of the crop" the worst most dishonest people that ruin everything for everyone else.
11/22/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Fieryeel
As above.

To me, the removal of the AH and RMAH was a plus. It motivated me to go out and kill monsters to upgrade myself, instead of camping the AH or RMAH for loot.

I do hear the odd complain here and there about the removal of the AH and RMAH, and even a few who said a better feature POE had was its non-official RMAH (no idea if these are trolls).

So why do you miss the AH and RMAH?

Wrong. There's no such thing as camping the AH for loot.

You must always kill monsters. If you don't kill monsters, then you will have no gold to buy items on the AH.

The RMAH is P2W and irredeemably destroyed the game.
11/23/2018 01:30 AMPosted by Kirottu
It didn't affect the drop rates

The drop rates were bad because Blizzard made them bad. They made them over the top-bad due to the real money auction house. Drop rates aren't that bad in Path of Exile and it certainly wasn't in Diablo 2, both games having unrestricted trade.

It had nothing to do with the auction house, Blizzard simply farked up. Bad.
11/23/2018 05:07 AMPosted by Vresiberba
11/23/2018 01:30 AMPosted by Kirottu

The drop rates were bad because Blizzard made them bad. They made them over the top-bad due to the real money auction house. Drop rates aren't that bad in Path of Exile and it certainly wasn't in Diablo 2, both games having unrestricted trade.

It had nothing to do with the auction house, Blizzard simply farked up. Bad.
Dude if they made drops higher then the AH would have made gear so easy whats the point.
11/22/2018 11:52 PMPosted by Systemworks
One of the main contributing factors to Diablo 3 failing as a Diablo game upon launch was the Auction House.

The game wasn't Diablo, it was Auction House Tycoon. That was the entire end game.

Not really. The reason was the P2W aspect of the game which was supplemented by an unreasonable low drop rate and insane difficulty walls more or less forcing you to spend dollars. The game was built from the ground up using this in mind, which is why it failed.

In a free-trade environment, the gold auction house wouldn't even had been noticed, it wouldv'e been regarded as a convenience over the player-to-player system used in Diablo 2 and to minimise price fixing and scamming. It would've been a roaring success.
11/23/2018 05:16 AMPosted by SirSmokes
Dude if they made drops higher then the AH would have made gear so easy whats the point.

We already went over this. Blizzard set the drop rates too low, they made a mistake. There's open trade in Path of Exile and it works like a charm without ridiculously low drop rates. There's precisely zero reason why it wouldn't have worked for Diablo 3 as well.
11/23/2018 05:17 AMPosted by Vresiberba
11/22/2018 11:52 PMPosted by Systemworks

Not really. The reason was the P2W aspect of the game which was supplemented by an unreasonable low drop rate and insane difficulty walls more or less forcing you to spend dollars. The game was built from the ground up using this in mind, which is why it failed.

In a free-trade environment, the gold auction house wouldn't even had been noticed, it wouldv'e been regarded as a convenience over the player-to-player system used in Diablo 2 and to minimise price fixing and scamming. It would've been a roaring success.
I think Blizzard are smart and can find a good system that's fun and fair. Trading is fun when everything is working right. But when someone rips you off or scams you. Its a real turn off for people.
11/22/2018 05:22 PMPosted by SirSmokes
I want to play the game not the auction house. The auction house effected the drop rates in game and messed up the grind.

It didn't affect the drop rates, it was set at a very low for other reasons. If we forgo the real money aspect of the auction house, it wasn't bad at all, and pretty much on par with Diablo 2 and Path of Exile, or any game basically, that allows for open trading.

The only thing that the auction house did was allow for a convenient, fast and scam-free trading environment, and as such it worked beautifully. But then we have the drop rates, that forked it all up, giving us instead of an extreme on one end, another extreme on the other.

All Blizzard needed to do was close the RMAH and increase the drop rates and it would have been fine. That would have at least meant player had a choice. Instead we get utterly and completely showered in items, heck, you're even given a free, complete set of your choice after a day or so of playing a Season.

That, if anything, has messed up the grind; there isn't one any more. Now you grind Paragon.

Drop rate was very low for “other reasons”? Like what, exactly?

We didn’t go from “the AH closed” to “getting showered in items.” When there was only Torment 1-6 and no Seasons the drop rates were still pretty low. Then they kept the first anniversary buff in 2015 and drop rates were at a good point. It still took time to get things, but not forever. It felt good. Playing in groups was worthwhile for trading, and builds weren’t over the top. Plus, you didn’t absolutely NEED sets to do Torment 6.

Then we got Seasons and then increased difficulty.. and THAT is when they started cranking up the drop rates.