Folks who miss the AH or RMAH. Why do you want it back?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
11/22/2018 06:39 PMPosted by ReapBurn
I never got to experience it, it was one of my regrets.

But most complaints for not having it just seem so wrong, people making it out like blizzard had a knife to your throat making you buy crap.

Well I don't like playing diablo 3 on computer because every monster lag jumps at me and screen freezes in desert, but there really isn't anything I can spend gold on, not even gambling because that is blood stone only.

I personally don't like the loot drops on cpu because it sucks that every loot will give me stats based on my character, and legendary aren't legendary.
They should fix the crafting though its hardly needed anymore on the cpu.

Blizzard didn’t have a knife to your throat, no. They just put you at a fork on the road with cliffs, jagged rocks, volcanoes and tornadoes on one side and meadows and rolling hills on the other side and said “pick one dudes!”

Most people picked the meadows because most people aren’t masochistic morons.

Rest of your post.. meh. Sounds like your own problems.
11/23/2018 05:38 AMPosted by Orrion
Drop rate was very low for “other reasons”? Like what, exactly?

I have already addressed this. I'm talking about the auction house from two different angels; one which was P2W and the other, obviously a hypothetical one which would be just open trade made convenient. It was because the former the drop rates were set so low, and even that was over the top. The reason here is; Blizzard made a mistake.

11/23/2018 05:38 AMPosted by Orrion
We didn’t go from “the AH closed” to “getting showered in items.”

I know, we didn't have Kadala and Kulle either, it has obviously evolved over time.
11/23/2018 05:22 AMPosted by SirSmokes
But when someone rips you off or scams you. Its a real turn off for people.

Which is one of the redeeming positive aspects of having an auction house.
11/23/2018 12:59 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
The whole point is that a trading system improves the social aspect of a game.

The problem with this game though is that the itemization would have to change in order for trading to return. That means it is better left for the new games like D4.

No it doesn’t.

An AH, if it existed, would not provide anything social because it’s automated.

Even D2’s trading didn’t help anything socially. You found an item, spammed trade (or just spammed trade if you wanted to buy something), found the guy, joined a game with him, traded, and went your merry way.

In reality, D3’s trade system encourages more of a social element than open trading because you absolutely have to group up with people to utilize it. Since grouping is the most social thing to do in a game like this, having it be mandatory for trading means such a system is far better, socially, than one that doesn’t encourage grouping.

Or it would, if drop rates weren’t so high nobody needs to utilize trading at all to get geared up.
11/23/2018 05:07 AMPosted by Vresiberba
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yes, it did. The drop rates hideously bad because of the AH.

The drop rates were bad because Blizzard made them bad. They made them over the top-bad due to the real money auction house. Drop rates aren't that bad in Path of Exile and it certainly wasn't in Diablo 2, both games having unrestricted trade.

It had nothing to do with the auction house, Blizzard simply farked up. Bad.

Drop rates aren’t bad in PoE simply because there’s SO MANY ITEMS - and they aren’t level restricted at all. You need good drop rates in that situation or else nobody would find anything, ever.
I just miss the economy of being able to trade period. No interest in RM though.
11/23/2018 02:32 AMPosted by Eigenscape

Wrong. There's no such thing as camping the AH for loot.

You must always kill monsters. If you don't kill monsters, then you will have no gold to buy items on the AH.

The RMAH is P2W and irredeemably destroyed the game.

Remember that little chest sitting next to Haedrig in act 1? That used to drop gold.

Remember that room of pots in the first part on the route to the skeleton king from the waypoint? That used to be empty of mobs.

Both of those spots were heavily botted in early D3V because they provided the most gold per hour with 0 threat so you could run a massive pickup radius bot that flung cheap AoE spells everywhere. You did not have to kill any monsters, and with your bot running you could rack up millions of gold per hour... safe easy gold for your AH flipping.

Until Blizzard nerfed them, Haedrig's chest got its gold drop removed entirely. The pot room got its gold drop rate heavily nerfed and then it got filled with mobs when the drop rate nerf was not enough to stop the bots.
11/22/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Omega
I dont understand most people when it comes to the auction house. I feel the idea was great, it was another way to interact with the game oter than endleslly grinding, it was a way to spend your gold in a way where the only way back then was on repair, and today is empowering grifts.

I dont understand why the hate on the auction house, i abhor the REAL MONEY auction house because that was simply HIDEOUS. but not the AH.
BTW, could you guys who dislikes the auction house only, explain to me why? i truly cant understand, and i actually felt sad when they took both down and not only the RMAH.

The impact of the gold AH was even more deleterious to the game than the RMAH. Rob Pardo explained exactly why, and he was absolutely correct. There are a number of interviews and articles out there where he (Rob) goes into detail about why the gold AH was so damaging. Rob also explained it right on these very forums when he announced the decision to remove the auction houses.

If you don't know who Rob Pardo is, shame on you.

If you are unaware of Rob's statements, you aren't as big of a Diablo fan as you think you are.

If you don't understand Rob's logic, then there probably isn't anything anyone is going to be able to do to help you understand it.
That people have multiple accounts, the botting programs, and they made an "inversion" to gain profits on RMAH.

Greed, is the main reason.

Last year, we have a lot of problems about cryptocurrency stuff, and then, the graphics cards, ram memory and SSD's were very expensive.
Why? Because people want to make money at all cost no matter what.

Is the same thing here. The big difference is they only require only a PC with multiple accounts to sell virtual equipment and have profits. And that's the main reason of why the want it back!
11/23/2018 02:29 AMPosted by SirSmokes
11/23/2018 12:59 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
The whole point is that a trading system improves the social aspect of a game.

The problem with this game though is that the itemization would have to change in order for trading to return. That means it is better left for the new games like D4.
Problem with social systems is you have build them around what I like to call the "Cream of the crop" the worst most dishonest people that ruin everything for everyone else.

When you have a game that supports trading you just have to be careful to make sure that you are not scammed. That is why you need to have trading only with those that you know well. Ones that you know won't scam you.
11/23/2018 10:36 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
11/23/2018 02:29 AMPosted by SirSmokes
... Problem with social systems is you have build them around what I like to call the "Cream of the crop" the worst most dishonest people that ruin everything for everyone else.

When you have a game that supports trading you just have to be careful to make sure that you are not scammed. That is why you need to have trading only with those that you know well. Ones that you know won't scam you.
The problem is people end up blaming Blizzard even if it out of there control.
11/23/2018 07:13 AMPosted by Orrion
No it doesn’t.

Even D2’s trading didn’t help anything socially. You found an item, spammed trade (or just spammed trade if you wanted to buy something), found the guy, joined a game with him, traded, and went your merry way.

In reality, D3’s trade system encourages more of a social element than open trading because you absolutely have to group up with people to utilize it. Since grouping is the most social thing to do in a game like this, having it be mandatory for trading means such a system is far better, socially, than one that doesn’t encourage grouping.

Or it would, if drop rates weren’t so high nobody needs to utilize trading at all to get geared up.

I wouldn't doubt that those that were deeply involved in trading have done more than just hey I got GG X for whatever price. Then the players make a trade never seeing or speaking to each other again. They do more than that, some will find someone that hasn't ripped them off and might want to play with that person.

You might find that person that all of your friends are talking about as someone that won't rip you off then you have made a new friend.

Nevertheless, open trade, whether an auction house existed or not provides more social interaction than the alternative which is interacting with a NPC, spending currency, practically doing the same thing; trading one thing for another.

In reality, D3’s trade system encourages more of a social element than open trading because you absolutely have to group up with people to utilize it.

Diablo 3 doesn't have a trade system, even though you actually can trade while in a group. This was just a band-aid solution from Blizzard to have their complete 180 be accepted by the crowd arguing for 'but what about sharing loot with friends'.

Indeed, this trade mechanic has since been made completely redundant which says a lot about the state of this game and its loot acquisition, which in my opinion is quite frankly ridiculous and is the main reason I no longer play Diablo 3; you're completely decked-out in a matter of hours and off you go to grind Paragon and levelling gems.
11/23/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Orrion
Drop rates aren’t bad in PoE simply because there’s SO MANY ITEMS

When I say "drop rates", I don't mean "Oh look, a Blackthorne!", I of course mean something useful. When I first played Diablo 3 o̶n̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ it took until act 2 on Nightmare [30+ hours] to have even one, single Legendary drop, and it was a level 8 Monster Hunter. This League in PoE, which I started just a week or two ago, took about two hours to have a Tabula Rasa drop.

That armour netted me 20 Chaos Orb in about two minutes after posting which made levelling so much more fun, and that was more than two months into the League. Obviously the trading aspect works in these kind of games, despite a reasonably high drop rate and open, unrestricted trade.
Gold AH and RMAH were not the problem.

The problem was the artificial scarcity and the extreme randomness when it came to item rolls. These were meant to force you into resorting to RMAH.
If items rolled in a more consistent manner, like back in D2, RMAH wouldn't have been much of an issue.
11/23/2018 11:19 AMPosted by ElobaCarcen

The problem was the artificial scarcity and the extreme randomness when it came to item rolls. These were meant to force you into resorting to RMAH.
If items rolled in a more consistent manner, like back in D2, RMAH wouldn't have been much of an issue.
Yea it still would be. The AH makes gearing quicker and easier. If drop rate are too high AH make rare item well less rare. P2P trading kept it slow. The AH lets everyone who wants to put stuff up and give everyone a wider pool of items.
11/23/2018 11:25 AMPosted by SirSmokes
11/23/2018 11:19 AMPosted by ElobaCarcen

Yea it still would be. The AH makes gearing quicker and easier. If drop rate are too high AH make rare item well less rare. P2P trading kept it slow. The AH lets everyone who wants to put stuff up and give everyone a wider pool of items.

So does trading. I am getting the impression, that your problem seems to be not with the AH, but with trading in general.

Have you traded on sites like warframe market or PoE trade? it's not easy as the AH, but it's deffinitely not hard. People list what they offer and what they want in return.

Are sites like these acceptable, or you want all trading gone?
11/23/2018 11:50 AMPosted by ElobaCarcen
... Yea it still would be. The AH makes gearing quicker and easier. If drop rate are too high AH make rare item well less rare. P2P trading kept it slow. The AH lets everyone who wants to put stuff up and give everyone a wider pool of items.

So does trading. I am getting the impression, that your problem seems to be not with the AH, but with trading in general.

Have you traded on sites like warframe market or PoE trade? it's not easy as the AH, but it's deffinitely not hard. People list what they offer and what they want in return.

Are sites like these acceptable, or you want all trading gone?
I am fine with trading. I just want to make sure if they do put the AH back in its for the betterment of the game. If they can get a system that works I am fine with it.
Are you nuts?
The AH makes gearing quicker and easier.

This unfortunately is a widespread myth without any foundation in reality. In an open trade environment, whether or not there's an auction house have no bearing on item acquisition. It does make things easier, lowering the difficulty threshold on players being reluctant to begin to trade, but on the other hand it also reduce scamming and price fixing. In the end, an auction house should have little if any impact on the economy. Besides, if you reset the economy, like for instance Path of Exile does every three months anyway, the impact the convenience an auction house provides is negligible.

If drop rate are too high AH make rare item well less rare.

Yes, and - again - this dilemma is easily avoided by not setting the drop rate too high and this is of course not restricted to auction house mechanics, but trade mechanics in general. It's a pretty bad argument to avoid a mechanic for the only reason that you can ruin the mechanic... by ruining it, which is what Blizzard did with the real money auction house and again with doing a 180, trading one extreme bad for another extreme bad.