The actual reason we are all so upset.

General Discussion
Kinda deceived.

This type of release could of been a great stand alone game, or some kind of D2 expac 2.0 (not that you'd need D2, but how the story is implemented), for pc (and consoles, if ported).
They even said it has background story/lore...something you don't usually find on mobile games, from what I've always heard.

And if that's all they had for Diablo this year...well ouch.

It's a bummer. So many fans and D3 game owners asking for paid stash space, cosmetic MTXs (not loot boxes), expac #2 and even D2 remastered, so many ways of making easy money, and that's all they come up with?

Or did the compagny evaluated that all theses wouldn't be enough profitable/too risky, due to lack of player and/or interest?
11/03/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Fawesome
I really do hope this title is good, and that I can enjoy slaying demons on my tablet.

It's not about video game tastes, it's about principles, about pride.

I'd give it a try if his birth wasn't being used by Blizzard to laugh at me.

It has been the cause of one of the biggest disappointments I remember, so I won't ever be able to judge it by the game it is, only by the bad moment he caused to me.

To me, Immortal is dead.
I want to make sure I do my part, as a fan, as a consumer, to tell Blizzard, the Diablo team, everyone involved in Diablo Immortal, and everyone involved in Blizzcon, what the real issue is surrounding this announcement.

I think they've gotten the message by now. and if they haven't, unsurprisingly, then they won't ever. its truly remarkable how oblivious they are to what people want. literally anyone on here could have come up with a better idea

11/03/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Zǐdàn
This means that most of the huge fans of the series, the ones who have played Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and Diablo 3 are likely between their late 20s and late 30s. They are people who have jobs and careers, and they have the income to buy nice PCs, because they grew up playing on PCs.

not quoting the whole thing, but intelligent post altogether
11/03/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Balloon
Diablo came out in 1997. If you were ten years old when that happened, you would be 31 right now.

This means that most of the huge fans of the series, the ones who have played Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and Diablo 3 are likely between their late 20s and late 30s. They are people who have jobs and careers, and they have the income to buy nice PCs, because they grew up playing on PCs.

These are people who had smartphones come into their lives when they were already starting college. So "mobile gaming" is not something they grew up with. Sure, they play some games every so often, but it's not their main gaming platform. Their main gaming platform is PC.

If you have a GTX 1080 and a 4K monitor, mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse... why oh why oh WHY would you want to play a game on a 5 inch screen with your thumbs?

This game shows an absolute disconnect (or complete ignore) of market research, of the developers realizing who their fans are, of everything. I cannot imagine how someone would greenlight this and think this was going to be popular with people who were fans of the series. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Because I am one of those people. I am 35. I remember playing Diablo 1 on battle.net over dialup as a kid. I remember the D2 release party at a lan center in highschool. I was hyped for D3. I have a nice gaming PC.

WHY WOULD I WANT TO PLAY ON MY SMARTPHONE?

This right here, you just explained me as a person down to the age (is 31).

+1

Also 31, dial up, Dead by Dawn trainer, Dat files with the final countdown(yea i was that a$$ hole)
11/03/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Ultimate
Blizzard: you can play diablo on the go~

Me: but i don't go anywhere?

Blizzard: well F ***

Idk why I laughed so hard at this but my water went in my nose
Exactly

I cant blame them for trying to take a chunck at the mobile game market but the way they announced it was pretty bad.

The majority of people at blizzcon are fans that play on PC or console and when they announced something big for diablo this year we expected diablo II or diablo 4 or at the very least something new for diablo 3.

But taking the spot light to announce a mobile game and nothing else felt like a slap in the face for most of us.
If they announced diablo 2 remastered and the mobile game on the side that would have been perfect but the fact that the mobile game was the major announcement was a huge disappointment for everyone and i cant blame them for the booo.

They realy need to hire better people in the marketing department because it seem like they are completly out of touch with their costumers.
They are just out of touch.
The game looks gorgeous but we're PC gamers...I actually can't play games on my phone. My vision isn't that great.
11/03/2018 11:28 AMPosted by LocknLoad
I really do hope this title is good, and that I can enjoy slaying demons on my tablet.

I find it disgusting that you will be still be supporting
them after this fiasco.

Technically you are still supporting them. You are here. And I find it desgusting that you are desgusted at others trying to give encouragement..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with the OP. I was not watching the announcement live, so maybe I did not get hit with the disappointment as hard, but I did feel the sinking feeling when I heard about it. Not because I expect the game to be bad (I do not know if it will be bad or good), but because it will not feel like Diablo. I was disappointing with the simplification of the UI from Diablo 2 to 3, and a mobile phone will need to be more so.

Second, it is true that a mobile device is far more powerful then most realize, and can handle games, but it is still a phone. All the varies apps and games that can be added are basically adding more stress to the device and incompatibilities causing errors. Even closed apps are still running, this is how notifications happen. This is on the phone itself, and not related to the game, but my point is that it's not designed for a load, and Action RPG's are fast pace. It WILL be more stress then its worth for most phones. I have trouble with Hearthstone, but you will not lose if your tap is delayed a second. Unles you have an Iphone 10, or an S series Galaxy, the phone will be TAXED. Options becomes to be tethered to an outlet for constant power, or to downgrade the software specs, lowering the quality of the game.

Thirdly, changing platforms for a series is a bad Idea overall. The Fan-base which is following a series is normally dedicated to a platform. I have only a PC. I do not own a console, and have played Diablo since Diablo 1. I have played every expansion, including Hellfire, and changing platforms unexpectedly literally feels like a punch to the gut(though granted a soft punch). It requires money to be spent on additional hardware which you already own, such as a phone that can play the game (see above). This is different then console Generations which is an upgrade in capabilities, but having to Re-Buy.

This being said, I think there is a more backlash then there should be. This IS a bold move making a game for mobile for a classicly PC gaming compony. Blizzard historicly makes quality games, so just because it's on mobile, it's assumed it will be bad by most. This is just Stupid. It also seems like people expect that if they are baligerent and yell loud enough, Blizzard will juts go "OK, let's forget about the whole thing. We're Blizzard, we can afford to just throw away the billions we already spent on developing". Maybe it is expected for Blizzard to take what they have done, and gearing it toward a PC game, therefore making a bad game (Bad being because it will be a PC game that feels like a mobile game). The Backlash may even cause the game to lose funding thus making it bad.

So how can this be fixed? The above reasons why I do not want them to try and "Fix" this game.
Honestly, I am not sure on this one. They could announce development on a new D3 expantion or D4, but that would feel as if it's a vain attempt to quell the uprour, and would not be effent use of time. Making a PC port would likely help some, but would have issue for the above reasons. If I come up with something, I would be happy to share, but the best course of action is for developement to complete this game, and to make it as good of a game they cane to negate the negetive poblicity.
I want to make sure I do my part, as a fan, as a consumer, to tell Blizzard, the Diablo team, everyone involved in Diablo Immortal, and everyone involved in Blizzcon, what the real issue is surrounding this announcement.

We are upset because a mobile game is not what we wanted. We are upset because we wanted Diablo 2 remastered, or Diablo IV, or something that was aimed at a core PC market.

If there had been any news, or anything related to a Diablo PC title, even a detailed plan about what the next step for Diablo 3 was, it would have made this much easier to swallow.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

I really do hope this title is good, and that I can enjoy slaying demons on my tablet. But I also want to have more Diablo to play on my PC. And I want to hear about what you guys are doing for Diablo on the PC.

I wouldn't have minded a mobile game if it was truly made from the ground up and wasn't a reskin of like 5 existing games.

If they made an original mobile game I actually would give it a chance, but this dung heap is just unacceptable.
Diablo came out in 1997. If you were ten years old when that happened, you would be 31 right now.

This is me too and I think this is a lot of us. The issue is this game wasn't targeted at us, it was designed to get more younger people into the Diablo universe likely in an attempt to get more people interested in a real upcoming AAA title. All that is fine. However, they hyped this up to existing Diablo fans knowing (or they should have known) it wasn't for us. Hyping it to us for months and showing us something not for us is what got the community so upset.
Jim Sterling got it right in his video covering the announcement: how well did they think it would go? Blizzcon is made up of a vast majority of PC gamers, who have stuck with Blizzard for years, way before they started making games on consoles. All of Blizzard's games are largely considered PC games first and foremost, and Diablo is no exception. Telling a largely PC crowd that the next game in the franchise isn't going to be available on PC at all is exactly how you turn your fans into enemies. The fact that the Diablo community in particular feels neglected by a developer that has kept them waiting for years, and whose last iteration in the franchise was largely considered a disappointment that was abandoned the moment there was nothing left to monetize, makes this announcement perhaps one of the worst decisions Blizzard has made in their history.

I haven't even seen the gameplay, and I agree with most of the people here that it doesn't really matter. I think Diablo can work perfectly fine as a mobile game, since it intentionally relies on a limited number of button inputs for its gameplay, but that was never really the issue here. The fact that the newest addition to what was supposed to be one of Blizzard's core franchises got outsourced to a Chinese developer, one notorious for making cash grab mobile ripoffs of Diablo, who apparently ripped off one of their own games for this particular version, is particularly incredible.

It's really difficult to feel like Blizzard truly cares about their fans, let alone their players, and the sheer level of cynicism around this announcement makes me want there to be real consequences to this. I don't want Blizzard to just get away with this scot-free and pretend that it's one of the best developers out there when they've been making some business decisions that have been significantly disrespectful of its playerbase. I don't want this to be a direction Blizzard continues to follow, and if that is indeed what will happen, I think it may be time to move on from Blizzard for good.
This should have been more of a side note than a major reveal. "We are currently working on Diablo 2 Remastered and Diablo 4, but do no have a set timeframe for completion yet. So in the mean time, we are releasing a mobile based Diablo game with updated lore, new skills, and new areas. Log in with your battle.net account and play through the mobile only content to unlock special starter items useable in Diablo 4 immediately upon release."

There are so many people now that will not play this just on principle alone. I don't play mobile games. I just don't like them. Like someone said earlier, why would I play on my cell phone when I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on my PC to play games? I'll tell you why, in-game content in the upcoming games. You would still draw in the mobile gaming community with the new mobile game. You would gain new PC Diablo fans from the mobile community because of it. You would gain more traction from the PC community as they would want these special items that can only be acquired through playing the mobile game.

I don't know who on y'alls marketing team decided rolling this out as a major stand alone reveal would be the best way to go, but this might end up being the most disliked reveal in blizzcon history....
I'm upset because they are so out of touch with their own community that they didn't see this backlash coming. Bringing an outsourced mobile cash-grab to your hardcore fans at an event where you're supposed to be celebrating your loyal patons and smile at us while shoveling this s*** down our throats? Ludicrous.
It's only a fiasco if you don't like mobile games and had your hopes up for some solid D3/4 news.

I think the 'fiasco' comes from our expectations regarding their announcements and hype. If you take that out of the equation, I mean, I don't mind that they are releasing a mobile game. I won't play it, certainly, but I don't mind that they are making one, especially if it makes more money and can help feed D4 development, but that's just silver lining.

I can't imagine how anyone thought hyping this up the way they did was a good idea though.
BLIZZARD, keep doing things like this and you are going to tarnish your reputation for perfection and great PC games, why oh why would you take a game that is on PC and console and give it away to mobile, BESIDES it makes loads more sense to take something like WC or SC and place it on a mobile platform because you could maybe pull off that playstyle on a tablet or phone but not DIABLO3 LOL? this is like trying to play WoW on mobile, my computer which is a decent laptop can't run Diablo3 and ultra settings, how do you think this will improve on a phone haha? this makes me almost as upset as the removal of blob shadows in WoW and this horrid expansion BFA, change your ways BLIZZARD, sometimes you have to not make money to make money...you are not seeing the big picture it seems...atleast you are doing something correct with WoW classic.

I love you guys, but seriopusly what are you ....... doing?
I think most of us had accepted no D4. I also knew my second choice - offline play for D3 - was not going to happen either.

But I thought maybe there'd be a remaster of D1 or D2, or else a new class for D3. Something. Anything.

I don't play games on my phone. Maybe on the train a couple times a year. Even in a doctor's office, I need to hear if my name is called so I wouldn't want to chance playing with sound, which is an important part of immersion in the world of Diablo. So... if the game is good for a mobile game... if it's entirely free, because I sure don't play any mobile games often enough to want to pay for them... once or twice a year I might be able to kill some demons on the small screen?

That's not even enough to count as 'something.'
This guy pretty much says what I feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgzy0jRZw0
They should have just announced it pre-blizzcon. The way they did it is the worst in history. Don't they have anyone tasked to conduct some kind of surveys first lol.
All of this could have easily been tempered if, if rumors are true that is, they would have told us, he are working on D4, here is concept art, here is where the story is going, here is what we are working on currently. In the mean time we are proud to announce a partnership in development of a new family of the diablo series, Diablo Immortal, now you can kill daemons on the go, on the bus ride, on your breaks, where ever you are, diablo is there with you.

And everything would have been better.