Stock - Quarterly Review Today

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 Next
stocks are now for 56.70 per share it was 68.99 when blizzcon started they droped hard after q3 report at closing today it was 62.79
11/08/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Bravata
11/08/2018 03:35 PMPosted by eklu65

I keep going back to that announcement they had about increased security at blizzcon. I almost feel like they knew how badly this was going to be received, and didn't want to take any risks. Like they knew exactly how badly we would take this.

Which means everything we are doing now is expected, won't change their minds, and is entirely something they planned for.
nah, that was them just being careful about a possible mass shooting.

Sadly, it was all about the possibility of a scary mass shooter. They have been increasing it every year since I started going in 2014. I saw a line for a small concert at a venue out there and they had metal detectors too.
I mean, with joking aside, a possible mass shooter after announcing D:I is a safe bet. Not kidding.

Back to topic, looks like the forecast for the stock clossing tomorrow is $56.00. If true, that's one heck of a hit and would seem more than tech adjustment imho.
11/08/2018 03:01 PMPosted by MissCheetah

That is what I have been trying to do. Blame the corporate folks who made these decisions, not the ones who have spent years producing exciting content for us gamers who really DO care. They can't do anything about what the suits want.

This is factually incorrect. They can. Google is a prime example of bringing change to a corporation through direct, unified, and public interaction. The global walkout for the way the sexual assault cases just happened was amazing to see and is bringing about change. The team working at X/Brain all walked out in and signed letters of protest, refusing to work if Google did not cancel their contract with the DoD. These are employees who are not tacitly complicit with corporate !@#$ery. Blizzard developers and employees on the Diablo team are in tacit agreement and therefore complicit in this mobile %^-*ery. They are as much to blame as any suit, if not more since they had the power to actually demonstrate and failed to do so. They are not moral paragons and should be lumped in with the rest of the trash to be taken out.
Hahahahahahaha
I think its really interesting that the Q2 MAU (monthly active users) and Q3 MAU are both set at 37 million players.

So in a quarter that had a major release for Blizzard, there has been no growth of the userbase.

As far as the Diablo fiasco goes, that's not on this quarterly report, it'll be reflected on the next one. It's also ominous to think that the reception of WoW xpac has been mixed so far, but engagement seems to be trending downwards. 4th Quarter might not be Blizzard's finest fiscal performance.

Its also discerning that Blizzard seems to be making a company wide jump onto a different platform at a time when their existing audiences is at best stagnant. Blizzard is stuck between a rock and a hard place until new products are getting released - for any platform. With the way the Diablo announcement was handled, they have done little to bolster the strength of the franchise for their new game and other rumored projects seem to be even further out than 2020 when Diablo Immortal is likely to hit the market.

Edit: What was also interesting to see is that Activision has the weakest net revenue by some margin of the three in-house entities, while Blizzard was the strongest with the lowest MAU across the company.
11/08/2018 04:29 PMPosted by zach
Blizzard developers and employees on the Diablo team are in tacit agreement and therefore complicit in this mobile %^-*ery.

No, just no.

We are talking about two things here.

One is an entertainment product for mobile phones, two is the actual careers and lifes of individuals.

As much (justified) backlash as we might have seen, you can not possibly expect from every support agent up to middle management and everyone in between to go on strike or even quit their jobs over this.

A company like Blizzard believes in hirarchies, glassdoor.com reviews make that much obvious. In an environment with such rigid structures, there is only so much you can do as an individual.

Sure, some people are impulsive enough to walk out the door over smth like this, I would probably be one of those folks. But that isn't necessarily a good thing, trust me. My first job as a journalist was being an editor for one of the largest weekly magazines in my home country. Quite the opportunity I thought on my first day, but I quit that job over certain decisions I wasn't happy with.

Sure, I made a "cool" statement, and some folks from the team even silently applauded me for it. But I still think to myself sometimes "Was that really the right decision? Did I have to be so impulsive?".

Now consider that some people are also in totally different life situations. Some have a house, kids, debts, I have none of that. It was a rather "easy" decision for me to walk out the door, but if you actually have multiple layers of responsibilities in your life, it would be insane to just drop everything over your discontent with a mobile phone video game.
@MissCheetah
11/08/2018 02:36 PMPosted by MissCheetah
My problem is that I have had such an amazing journey with Blizzard games for so long.

My amazing journey with Blizzard was between 2000 and 2010.
Even if I don't agree with all the smaller in-game decisions, the overall direction has been positive for gamers.

D3 was crap from pretty much start to finish. The only hopeful patch was the Cube patch, and then they released crap features such as set dungeons (that received almost as much hate as Diablo Immortal) and Challenge Rifts (where you don't get to play any rift you want, but instead you get to play the build of a random noob).
They even removed the evil RMAH.

1. The real money auction house wasn't even a problem in and of itself. It was the artificial scarcity and the extremely random rolls on items, which were meant to push you into participating in RMAH, that was the problem.

2. I doubt they removed the RMAH voluntarily. The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network issued regulations on so called "convertible virtual currencies" which probably lead to the closer of RMAH. They issued those pricisely one year before the closure of the RMAH. Moldran made a video about it several years ago:
Diablo 3 - Why the Auction House got Removed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvuVXtMLR4Q

Stop trying to spin it, as if they did it purely out of the goodness of their hearts.
The actual game folks are really into what they do and care what they make.

Explain Cataclysm, D3, Pandaria, Warlords, Legion and BfA then. These are all crap and you know it! And if you would not concede, that D3 was crap, then you're no real Diablo gamer.

Any real gamer would have told them during testing, that these were all crap. They ignored the feedback throughout all those years, the only exception being WoW Classic.
Diablo Immortal is just the tip of the iceberg. It's been a long time coming.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769568460?page=1#post-1
I feel like they abandoned the entire Diablo community. Nothing for us at all. I have actually been crying. I don't know what else to say.

You cried on this BlizzCon?! Boo hoo! Others have been doing it for much longer. You're only now realizing that things are going wrong, because DI was waay too shocking example... but the same thing was happening throughout the last eight or so years. You simply didn't notice it, because it wasn't so blatant.
it seams money talks
11/08/2018 05:26 PMPosted by error37
11/08/2018 04:29 PMPosted by zach
Blizzard developers and employees on the Diablo team are in tacit agreement and therefore complicit in this mobile %^-*ery.

No, just no.

We are talking about two things here.

One is an entertainment product for mobile phones, two is the actual careers and lifes of individuals.

As much (justified) backlash as we might have seen, you can not possibly expect from every support agent up to middle management and everyone in between to go on strike or even quit their jobs over this.

A company like Blizzard believes in hirarchies, glassdoor.com reviews make that much obvious. In an environment with such rigid structures, there is only so much you can do as an individual.

Sure, some people are impulsive enough to walk out the door over smth like this, I would probably be one of those folks. But that isn't necessarily a good thing, trust me. My first job as a journalist was being an editor for one of the largest weekly magazines in my home country. Quite the opportunity I thought on my first day, but I quit that job over certain decisions I wasn't happy with.

Sure, I made a "cool" statement, and some folks from the team even silently applauded me for it. But I still think to myself sometimes "Was that really the right decision? Did I have to be so impulsive?".

Now consider that some people are also in totally different life situations. Some have a house, kids, debts, I have none of that. It was a rather "easy" decision for me to walk out the door, but if you actually have multiple layers of responsibilities in your life, it would be insane to just drop everything over your discontent with a mobile phone video game.

how ever justified they may be they still make there choices.
11/08/2018 05:43 PMPosted by ElobaCarcen
Explain Cataclysm, D3, Pandaria, Warlords, Legion and BfA then. These are all crap and you know it! And if you would not concede, that D3 was crap, then you're no real Diablo gamer.

Many folks loved Pandaria and Legion.

I personally didn't like Legion for example, but the public consensus seems to be that it was a good expansion. Partly that's because it followed the turd that was Warlords, and partly that also explains why BfA is being received so poorly.

D3 was never crap, it just wasn't what most fans were expecting. The launch of D3 was awful, hence my username, the auction house almost killed the game, but RoS vastly improved the game and I still think that removing the auction house altogether was the last ballsy move I've seen from Blizzard. It's a shame that Mosqueira left the company shortly after.

And on the video you shared on "Why the Auction House got Removed", the youtuber literally says in the first 15 seconds "maybe it was removed because Blizzard wanted to make the game better".

Besides that it's nothing but speculation anyway.
11/08/2018 05:56 PMPosted by AmbushBob
how ever justified they may be they still make there choices.

So let's make it personal: If you'd work at Blizzard, maybe you even have a wife and a kid, would you just walk over the plan to announce Diablo Immortal at Blizzcon? Really??
11/08/2018 08:08 AMPosted by Sylentmana
It'll probably go up when D:I hits China, but I wonder how much they will loose until then.

This is what I have been saying in so many words. If D:I has a huge impact on the bottom line (stocks) then you will see Blizz do what it has to do in order to turn it around. CEOs have one legal responsibility and that is to increase shareholder value. This mess looks like it has done the reverse and there could be hell to pay if nothing is done to turn it around.
11/08/2018 06:00 PMPosted by error37

So let's make it personal: If you'd work at Blizzard, maybe you even have a wife and a kid, would you just walk over the plan to announce Diablo Immortal at Blizzcon? Really??

You speak as if this was a spur of the moment, one time occurrence that took them all by surprise. It is not. This is a multitude of decision spanning years that developers ignored with their head in the sand. This is what they built.

A MOBILE GAMING COMPANY.

Wife, kid, living the dream, reaping the benefits of Activision. Let them enjoy that koosh bed of Chinese mtx.

Smells like s, looks like s, acts like s... it is s.
11/08/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Digs
11/08/2018 06:00 PMPosted by error37

You speak as if this was a spur of the moment, one time occurrence that took them all by surprise. It is not. This is a multitude of decision spanning years that developers ignored with their head in the sand. This is what they built.

A MOBILE GAMING COMPANY.

Wife, kid, living the dream, reaping the benefits of Activision. Let them enjoy that koosh bed of Chinese mtx.

How do you know developers buried their heads in the sand? First of all, not every developer is always a user of the product he is working on, because it would be next to impossible for companies to find talented developers if that were a requirement. It's a marketing lie with a nice ring to it, but I doubt it's anywhere close to reality.

So I'm sure there is a fair share of developers at Blizzard, like in any other company, who couldn't care less in which direction the company is moving, as they're just doing their job.

But even for the passionate developers who are gamers at heart, what exactly do you expect them to do? A lot of people actually have left Blizzard in the last couple of years, for a multitude of reasons, but would you have been one of them over this?

You didn't answer my question: Would you just quit your job over your employer developing a few mobile games?
11/08/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Osmium
The stock fluctuation is the one and only reason that anyone at Blizzard has decided to pay any attention to these forums again.

Wheres the proof other then deleting posts with negative opinions including messing with down votes on YouTube and deleting comments there?
11/08/2018 06:39 PMPosted by error37
11/08/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Digs

A MOBILE GAMING COMPANY.

How do you know developers buried their heads in the sand? First of all, not every developer is always a user of the product he is working on, because it would be next to impossible for companies to find talented developers if that were a requirement. It's a marketing lie with a nice ring to it, but I doubt it's anywhere close to reality.

So I'm sure there is a fair share of developers at Blizzard, like in any other company, who couldn't care less in which direction the company is moving, as they're just doing their job.

But even for the passionate developers who are gamers at heart, what exactly do you expect them to do? A lot of people actually have left Blizzard in the last couple of years, for a multitude of reasons, but would you have been one of them over this?

You didn't answer my question: Would you just quit your job over your employer developing a few mobile games?

Just take as example those who made Diablo: Brevik, Shaefer, etc... most of them left Blizzard when it became a greedy company.
11/08/2018 06:50 PMPosted by Chipoodle
Just take as example those who made Diablo: Brevik, Shaefer, etc... most of them left Blizzard when it became a greedy company.

They left Blizzard because they originally worked on a different Diablo 3 already back then, but Blizzard wasn't too happy about what they came up with.

There might have been some other conflicts going on, I would have to read up on that again, but saying that they left because of "greed" is speculative at best.