Stock - Quarterly Review Today

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
11/08/2018 08:20 AMPosted by theviper
Don't get too carried away.

It is true the stock is down about 10% from the start of blizzcon, 25% from the peak and its even the lowest its been this year. That is certainly not insignificant. 10% is worth $1.8billion or so.

SOME of that is from the diablo fiasco, but as far as the total worth of the company the diablo ip is probably only 5-10% or so. That means this announcement has cost them around $100million at this point in time......

It also may very well recover in the coming weeks.

HOWEVER the good news is, the drop is definitely enough to make the suits upstairs take notice and at least pay attention. You can bet there is a LOT of talk about what happened at blizzcon and what to do next. So at a minimum its going to generate SOME action. What that is remains to be seen though.

A diablo tcg, diablo books, netflix short series, diablo card packs and expansion for hearthstone.

Those are the "multiple projects" in the works. The action we will see will be with regards to those things.
11/08/2018 09:09 AMPosted by DarkLord
Isn't the biggest reason why stocks have been down is that Black Ops underperformed?

Yeah Blizzcon has been a factor the last several days but overall.

Yes and no, it doesnt matter if the IP is worth 5% of the total revenue, diablo has been talked extremely negatively and people are getting in doubt of Blizzard truthfulness. The negative talking revolving around Blizzard since the Blizzcon made them lost more than a terrible BO4 quality product.

Also, people are getting tired of BR, trend is down atm.
At some point, one of the suits will have to call Wyatt in, put him in front of a camera, and just yell into his face *Tell them what you're working on NOW!* because they'll be desperate enough to lift the curtains a little and hope it helps. Which quite frankly, it might, depending on what exactly they're working with.
11/08/2018 09:09 AMPosted by DarkLord
Isn't the biggest reason why stocks have been down is that Black Ops underperformed?

Yeah Blizzcon has been a factor the last several days but overall.

Not really, Blackops sold better than its predecessors and was a financial success, evaporating a few Activision sales records even. But because of all the Battle Royale Hype share holders were expecting Scrooge McDuck levels of money showers, and were then disappointed that it still didn't make them enough to buy an Island, a time machine or a space shuttle.

Basically greed and turbocapitalism in a nutshell.

The fact that investors were disappointed with a game hitting sales records perfectly showcases what's wrong with the games industry. No matter how profitable your game or your company is, it's just never enough.
11/08/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Lunaala
At some point, one of the suits will have to call Wyatt in, put him in front of a camera, and just yell into his face *Tell them what you're working on NOW!* because they'll be desperate enough to lift the curtains a little and hope it helps. Which quite frankly, it might, depending on what exactly they're working with.

I hope so =(
11/08/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Obechu
So I'm not business savvy but I would like to understand what the current stock price means in reference to conversations within the office today for the quarterly conference.

So I ask, what do you think will go down in the conference today and what might we expect in the immediate and long term future?

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/atvi/real-time

What it means is that we’ve hit the real Blizzard, the suits. The more the stock price drops the more they will be “listening” because they only see money. What can we expect? Damage control and PR strategies trickled down into Blizzard staffers with a healthy side order of suits trying to appease and reassure shareholders and the board on the back end.
I dont watch this stock really, but it lost like 17% last month alone didn't it? But it shows support around 64.

Bad earnings will drive it down, man. This thing could dip into the 50s.

haha. I hope it does.
Aren’t their investor calls broadcast somewhere online? I remember people always tuning in for WoW sub numbers when they used to acknowledge them. I was just wondering if there’d be any news mentioned of any of this during that call, or was that just a WoW thing?
11/08/2018 08:02 AMPosted by Xiphos
I'm pretty sure the mess will hit the fan...….although I also predict the lower the stock value the better the communication we will get

down another 2.5%
https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/atvi/stock-chart

This really doesn't matter... Stocks swing all the time. Elon Musk makes a twitter post that is stupid and they drop, then come back up. Nike stocks drop a lot, but within a week they are back to normal. This stuff happens all the time.

Hell, Kim K made a post that she was going to stop using Snapchat and those stocks dropped... just from a mention...
Aren’t their investor calls broadcast somewhere online? I remember people always tuning in for WoW sub numbers when they used to acknowledge them. I was just wondering if there’d be any news mentioned of any of this during that call, or was that just a WoW thing?

Today 4:30PM EST @
https://investor.activision.com/events-presentations
11/08/2018 10:27 AMPosted by daringpastry
I'm pretty sure the mess will hit the fan...….although I also predict the lower the stock value the better the communication we will get

down another 2.5%

This really doesn't matter... Stocks swing all the time. Elon Musk makes a twitter post that is stupid and they drop, then come back up. Nike stocks drop a lot, but within a week they are back to normal. This stuff happens all the time.

Hell, Kim K made a post that she was going to stop using Snapchat and those stocks dropped... just from a mention...

But it does matter. Or it least it can. Because stocks often swing from events that take place to change market dynamics. You citied a couple examples yourself. We can collectively make a difference but that will be up to us and how we vote with our wallets and how long we force our voices to be heard.
11/08/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Obechu

Today 4:30PM EST @

I'm interested in what happens over the next couple days after they deliver their earnings report today. This is better than General Hospital.
I think they forgot that since many original Diablo players started playing in the 90's, we're also of the age where we have the time and money to be savvy investors. Which means we can vote with our wallets and portfolios when we are displeased with the direction a company is headed.

As a former stockholder, I can say this is not a company I feel any compelling interest to continue owning stock in.

They take their core customer base for granted. Don't listen to customer demand or make an effort to keep current customers happy. They attempt to use the profits from current customers to grab new ones in foreign markets without remembering the core motto of our dear commander in chief, America First.

You want to grab the Asian mobile market? Great, announce that at BlizzCon China, not at the BlizzCon full of your pc gaming loyal fans and console gamers who helped build you to the success you have enjoyed to date.

FROM THE IGN INTERVIEW:

"“The world is evolving both geographically and demographically,” he said. “Younger folks now, many of them, mobile is their primary gaming device. And then around the world in many regions it’s their primary gaming device, and so it’s always been our aspiration [to bring games to them].

RELATED

Diablo: Immortal feels like a Diablo game, just not one that’s for me
“We’ve been around for around three decades and we’ve been making games on many different platforms during that time, going all the way back to Amiga and Commodore 64 to the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. So to us, this is another gaming platform ... The opportunity to bring this to an all new audience or to bring it to players who have shifted their play patterns to mobile and bring them all together with an authentic Diablo experience, it’s super exciting for us.”

Except Diablo 1, 2 LOD etc were always most profitable and deeply received among your loyal PC fan base. It was eventually made available to consoles but the core fanbase has largely been pc gamers. You are taking what has been one of your pillar PC IP's and building new content for it exclusively for mobile, admittedly for a new demographic while leaving out and excluding the ones who built the success of the brand over the last 22 years.

To say that players are shifting the gaming to mobile is also out of context and comparing age groups, cultures and demographics that are not the core fan base of this IP. It's fine that you want to expand your audience, but your faux pas was to do it and leave the ones that brought you to the dance behind when you did.

You should have taken a page from Bethesda and at the bare minimum given PC players a trailer of the 'next diablo thing' coming for them and you would have stemmed this tide of anger.

THAT is what you are missing Blizzard and you clearly are not listening.
The more they loose the faster they push for release. They need to get the money asap. I hope that they will hit the wall on asian market. Although i doubt it.
11/08/2018 10:27 AMPosted by daringpastry

down another 2.5%

to be frank, Kim and snapchat are like Khaled and Snapchat, its a big partnership and millions of people follow her on Snapchat ( I<m not defending her btw)
Just a thought. Stock prices hypothetically should have went up with the ability to buy War Craft 3 remastered and they gain additional revenue. So the fact that they are tanking in the midst of this means, we are not seeing the true numbers of how mad people are yet.
It's going to be quite telling on tomorrow's stock price, following today's conference, in determining the faith the investors have on the future of this company.

I imagine either they will see this debacle as a financial threat and lose interest, or alternatively, a small price to pay for future profits when the mobile game comes out.

The conference is set to start in 1 hour from now boys.
Without knowing true numbers, this is a guess, but based on a simple fact, I am 40 years old and remember when the first Blizzard games came out in my late teens.

People my age became interested in the games and company before we were in a good position money wise. However, we are now in the position of having money and in many cases, having invested the money in the stock market.

It is altogether possible that some of the drop is from people my age who have started pulling out their investments.

It would not be a huge drop, but it would affect the price. After what happened at Blizzcon, even a small drop could affect other investors and make them want to sell as well.

With more and more opinions coming out that Blizz did not handle things well, it would make it hard to feel confident in Blizzard's ability to sell their products. That would mean a bounce back will be delayed.

Tonight's meeting will probably either help or hurt the stock prices a lot. We are still working in the stort term though, but if someone in a position of strength in the stock market was a Diablo PC fan, Blizz is in a bad spot.
11/08/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Hellfis
As the D:I releases and revenue starts to kick in and show in numbers. We can start seeing a clear growth of the value of the stock.

Releasing a game NOT EQUAL TO releasing a successful game.

https://www.nasdaq.com/es/symbol/atvi/real-time

Down >11%
It's starting in 10 minutes, the Muzak has already started, get in here.