Stock - Quarterly Review Today

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 12 Next
11/08/2018 02:22 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I speak corporate, let me help translate that wall of text into a coherent answer.

"We do not have any console or PC related Diablo projects. We are placing our bets on the mobile platform due to the money to be made with minimal infrastructure or effort on our part. Any questions."

This is what most of the PC gamers fear worst (or at least I do). That we are now irrelevant and going to be an ignored market in favor of mobile and eSports. It feels like a breakup to be honest. I have heard several people put it that way. I don't want it to be true and am hanging on to some hope that it is not. The Blizzard I know would never do that to us. Then again, the Blizzard I know would not have given us mobile at Blizzcon after a content drought and hints of content.

Bobby Kotick, the CEO of the company having said "The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." doesn't make me too confident on your small hopes.
11/08/2018 02:22 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I speak corporate, let me help translate that wall of text into a coherent answer.

"We do not have any console or PC related Diablo projects. We are placing our bets on the mobile platform due to the money to be made with minimal infrastructure or effort on our part. Any questions."

This is what most of the PC gamers fear worst (or at least I do). That we are now irrelevant and going to be an ignored market in favor of mobile and eSports. It feels like a breakup to be honest. I have heard several people put it that way. I don't want it to be true and am hanging on to some hope that it is not. The Blizzard I know would never do that to us. Then again, the Blizzard I know would not have given us mobile at Blizzcon after a content drought and hints of content.

I like it to taking your 20 yo pet cat/dog to the vet for it's annual checkup, only to be told it's got terminal cancer and it's be best to put it down, but don't worry you can always get another one to replace it... :(
I like it to taking your 20 yo pet cat/dog to the vet for it's annual checkup, only to be told it's got terminal cancer :(

Please don't make me cry again :( This whole thing sucks so much.
11/08/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Zolgar
Blizzard, but in name only

BINO, Blizzard In Name Only. I like that. I hope you don't mind if I steal that.
11/08/2018 02:28 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I like it to taking your 20 yo pet cat/dog to the vet for it's annual checkup, only to be told it's got terminal cancer :(

I don't want to belittle your perfectly justified emotions, they are your own.

But I don't think that getting too emotionally attached to the future of a profit driven company or franchise will work out in the long run. I personally think this can only end with a rude awakening.
11/08/2018 02:26 PMPosted by AlKatiba
Its so sad....I really need to watch the mexican blizz employee vid now to feel more happy.

He's not Mexican but Spaniard. Please don't confuse us with them.
They missed on earnings, and the latest CoD didn't sell any better than last years CoD, so it looks like that series has peaked. Those are the two biggest issues, but the Blizzcon/Diablo fiasco certainly doesn't help.
I am sorry...my fault then. But its increasing my mood quite a bit when I watch it :D
11/08/2018 02:34 PMPosted by Chipoodle
11/08/2018 02:26 PMPosted by AlKatiba
Its so sad....I really need to watch the mexican blizz employee vid now to feel more happy.

He's not Mexican but Spaniard. Please don't confuse us with them.

All I know is...he has some of the FUNNIEST videos out there!
11/08/2018 02:28 PMPosted by MissCheetah

But I don't think that getting too emotionally attached to the future of a profit driven company or franchise will work out in the long run. I personally think this can only end with a rude awakening.

My problem is that I have had such an amazing journey with Blizzard games for so long. Even if I don't agree with all the smaller in-game decisions, the overall direction has been positive for gamers. They even removed the evil RMAH. That is what used to set Blizzard apart, they were a company of gamers who made games for ...gamers! Sure, they needed to profit, but they did not do so at the expense of the game quality or player enjoyment. When they had a mistake, they would acknowledge (eventually) and fix it as best they could.

I don't want to think of them as an evil faceless corp who views us as "walking wallets". I know most of the staff there don't want to think about it that way either. The actual game folks are really into what they do and care what they make. It does not help when I am friends with some. I am having issues wrapping my head around it all.
11/08/2018 02:36 PMPosted by MissCheetah
My problem is that I have had such an amazing journey with Blizzard games for so long. Even if I don't agree with all the smaller in-game decisions, the overall direction has been positive for gamers. They even removed the evil RMAH. That is what used to set Blizzard apart, they were a company of gamers who made games for ...gamers! Sure, they needed to profit, but they did not do so at the expense of the game quality or player enjoyment. When they had a mistake, they would acknowledge (eventually) and fix it as best they could.I don't want to think of them as an evil faceless corp who views us as "walking wallets". I know most of the staff there don't want to think about it that way either. The actual game folks are really into what they do and care what they make. It does not help when I am friends with some. I am having issues wrapping my head around it all.

It's okay, MissCheetah. I'm right there with you. I may not have been a Blizzard Fan, meaning a fan of all their games, but I loved Diablo from the beginning and am invested in all 3 games and their expansions. I know exactly where you're coming from.

My problem is that I have had such an amazing journey with Blizzard games for so long. Even if I don't agree with all the smaller in-game decisions, the overall direction has been positive for gamers. They even removed the evil RMAH. That is what used to set Blizzard apart, they were a company of gamers who made games for ...gamers! Sure, they needed to profit, but they did not do so at the expense of the game quality or player enjoyment. When they had a mistake, they would acknowledge (eventually) and fix it as best they could.

I don't want to think of them as an evil faceless corp who views us as "walking wallets". I know most of the staff there don't want to think about it that way either. The actual game folks are really into what they do and care what they make. It does not help when I am friends with some. I am having issues wrapping my head around it all.

it is simple, they want to please their investors before their customers.... when it should be the other way around... I am astonished that they are doing this.... i really want to just sleep until this is all over with.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Unfortunately I'm already 'emotionally' attached, Diablo has been my goto game for whenever something crap happens in my life as an 'escape' from the stress/anxiety for a bit.

Highschool exam stress - D1
College exam stress - D2
Job stress and bullying - D2
Depression/Nervous Breakdown - D2 LoD
Father Dying - D3

And now Blizz is turning the franchise that I love and has been there for me in times of emotional difficulty into something that CAUSES it because they simply won't say what's going on.
They removed the RMAH because it was not producing the expected return.

They overshot the operation cost. Lawyers on the other hand...
11/08/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Ganelon
They removed the RMAH because it was not producing the expected return.

They overshot the operation cost. Lawyers on the other hand...

I am pretty sure that is actually true and there were potential legal issues with the new fed regs.

11/08/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Ryu
Unfortunately I'm already 'emotionally' attached, Diablo has been my goto game for whenever something crap happens in my life as an 'escape' from the stress/anxiety for a bit.

College exam stress - D2
Father Dying - D3

And now Blizz is turning the franchise that I love and has been there for me in times of emotional difficulty into something that CAUSES it because they simply won't say what's going on.

I am so so sorry. I get it completely. The Blizzard community has been my rock through a lot of really terrible stuff. Thinking they might not be there in the future ... wow. I had not gotten to this stage of analysis yet.

*giant internet hugs*
11/08/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Ryu

College exam stress - D2
Father Dying - D3

We are here for you friend, we won't hurt or betray you.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I get that, it must be a little emotionally confusing for you right now. By the way props for speaking openly, reasonably, and yet critically, despite your role here. You made me reconsider my opinion on MVPs a little, maybe that can cheer you up a bit for a second or two.

Regarding the perception of Blizzard and your personal connections, my advice would be to treat these as two separate things - because they are.

It's totally okay to be disgruntled or flat out angry about the direction a company is taking, while being close to some of the cool people who probably work there.

I think we both know that only a very small percentage of employees within a corporation of this scale have a meaningful impact on strategic decisions. And this is just speculation, but I would almost bet that some of the cool folks you happen to know even tried to raise their voices internally - but they can only do so much.

Maybe one of your agenda points to get through this mess could be, to make sure that people criticize the decisions of the company, but not the individual people representing it - because I saw you doing that already to a degree.

I'm confident you'll find a good way and compromise for yourself to get through this, you're cool.
Seeing that the projected stock price will drop from 62.79 per share down to 56.45 in the next few hours. If my math is correct, that's roughly 4b. If this comes true, that means their stocks have dropped about $22 in the last 25 days or so. Meaning, that's around $15-16b, half of which is in the last week because of DI.
Another solid quarter of growth for bluzzzard.

Guess mobile is the way to go boys :---)...

Take out your phones.
11/08/2018 02:56 PMPosted by error37
Maybe one of your agenda points to get through this mess could be, to make sure that people criticize the decisions of the company, but not the individual people representing it - because I saw you doing that already to a degree.

That is what I have been trying to do. Blame the corporate folks who made these decisions, not the ones who have spent years producing exciting content for us gamers who really DO care. They can't do anything about what the suits want.

I think we both know that only a very small percentage of employees within a corporation of this scale has a meaningful impact on strategic decisions. And this is just speculation, but I would almost bet that some of the cool folks you happen to know even tried to raise their voices internally - but they can only do so much.

Correct.

Also thank you. You gave me great advice and much to think about. Further proof we are all in this together. We don't agree on everything, but we do agree we the PC gamers are in a bad place right now.