Jason Schreier Diablo 4 Article Leaks - There's Hope!

General Discussion
lies and deceptions ... i just cant believe them anymore .
Damage control at its finest?
11/22/2018 08:48 PMPosted by Krymm
The Recent Article: The Past, Present, And Future of Diablo that brings to light leaks about D4 and the inside workings of Blizz has some bleak stuff in it about the company's culture changing towards Shareholder Growth being prioritized over what Blizzard MEANS to the Videogame Industry as an Icon....but other than that depressing stuff (my heart goes out to the devs dealing with that), Diablo news has me MORE EXCITED than anything from Blizzcon. My basic takeaways:

Article: https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

Diablo 4 has this going for it:

1) They know D3 was a !@#$ up = *GOOD! It was. Reaper of Souls polished a game that was never Authentic Diablo in the iconic sense.*

2) D4 has been in dev for 2 yrs = GOOD! They almost had a Demo this year, or next Blizzcon maybe or the 1 after, but its happening.*

3) D4 is moving AWAY from D3 and towards D2 w/ pillars like "Embrace the Darkness" & "Make it Gross, the things that made Diablo, Diablo" = *GOOD!*

4) The new Game Director has the right idea with a stronger vision = *GOOD! It's great to hear they have a confident approach to D4, DESPITE D3*

5) Don't give a %^-* about D:I in light of this news, and i have even MORE hope for D2 remaster because they saw how Warcraft: Reforged stole Blizzcon, ppl like the older games made by older devs BETTER than the creative ingenuity of the newer devs, for good reason - They were GREAT game designs and should be improved upon, not remade from the ground up..

6) As a big Dark Souls 3 fan, im OPEN to a Dark Souls 3 Diablo but i understand (& i think Blizz does as well) that straying too far from what fans want...why bother unless u KNOW it cant fail. But its a BETTER direction than where D3 went

7) *ONLY downers in the article* for me other than activision prioritizing shareholder growth return over what Blizzard MEANS to the videogaming industry and the pokemon wow stuff (as a wow fan, as long as it doesnt affect the expacs), is that there are STILL SOME Devs on Team 3 who think that Reaper of Souls FIXED D3 or that another D3 expac was BETTER than the D4 going back to the roots via remake...THAT is slightly disheartening, but ill take it cause it seems like the execs have a better pulse on what D3 game was than the ppl developing it and who probably blindly love their own work. Good on the Execs in this case for recognizing that Reaper was NOT going to save Diablo because D3 had done irreparable harm to the Diablo image

Warcraft 3 reforged only stole Blizzcon because the rest of it was dull, boring and somewhat uninspiring. That is the ONLY reason.
A dark souls diablo sounds stupid asf if its how I am envisioning it.

yes go back to the roots but not dark souls.
Diablo says to PoE : A king's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, PoE, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new king
yeah keep dreaming..

downvoting... booo!
3) D4 is moving AWAY from D3 and towards D2 w/ pillars like "Embrace the Darkness" & "Make it Gross, the things that made Diablo, Diablo" = *GOOD!*
This was the best thing that I could have heard, but after thinking more about it, I have doubts Blizzard is even capable of pulling it off or understanding what made Diablo's dark atmosphere so great.

I mean, when was Diablo ever really "gross"? I guess that's subjective, but gross isn't something I think when I think of Diablo. Diablo 1 and 2 were dark, but subtlety so. It was never really in your face about, it just WAS. Knowing the Blizzard we have today, I could see this ending up more like a teenager trying too hard to be edgy.

Either way, this being a pillar of the game's development is good news, I'm just skeptical is all.
1) They know D3 was a !@#$ up

That's fanboy wishful thinking right there. Diablo 3 is one of the most successful and critically acclaimed games in Blizzard's catalog and has been a success on every major gaming platform. That's not a "f-up" by any reasonable meaning of the term. Don't lie to yourself, you know it's true.
11/24/2018 11:31 AMPosted by MountainMan

That's fanboy wishful thinking right there. Diablo 3 is one of the most successful and critically acclaimed games in Blizzard's catalog and has been a success on every major gaming platform. That's not a "f-up" by any reasonable meaning of the term. Don't lie to yourself, you know it's true.

Unfortunately the forums for many years now didn't like hearing that D3 had good elements to it with some rocky foundations. It's that exact same mentality that convinced Actiblizzard to cancel the next expansion. It's really shameful, tbh. I think a second expansion would have done incredibly well if the devs hadn't had their hands tied. It's no wonder all they did was give us insane set buffs. They'd probably come in at the end of the month, realize that nothing had been done for D3 in a year and then just slop together some number changes on their spreadsheet.

Hope these "multiple diablo projects" are worth it, Blizzard. Because you killed a game that could have been great.
11/24/2018 11:31 AMPosted by MountainMan
1) They know D3 was a !@#$ up

Not at the time that this second expansion was allegedly cancelled, it wasn't. D3 sold a bunch of copies, yes, but it brought overwhelmingly bad press and was Blizzard's first big release viewed as a failure. It did not surprise me at all to read that Blizzard at large viewed D3 as having done severe damage to the Diablo brand.

Hell, even just financially, you've gotta think big picture. D3 sold well, yes, but how many players bought Reaper? The dropoff was from like 15m to 2.5m or something insane like that. There were a vaaaaast number of players not even willing to give Reaper a chance. That sort of long-term thinking is what business offices wake up in cold sweats about. It makes plenty of sense that they would think it's better for the future of Diablo to just cut bait.

Overall, I get people are cynical right now, but there is very, very little reason to think this is fake. Mostly because too many voices in the piece are negative or have conflicting opinions for it to be a company-sponsored fluff piece -- for every voice talking about how strong the vision is for Fenris, you've got another person saying cancelling D3x2 was the biggest mistake Blizzard has ever made, etc. I think this all adds up, and it matches the timeline of things we know for fact, like when Mosquiera vanished and when Barriga was named as a lead game director.

1) D3 launches and is such a disaster that Blizzard execs are already wondering if they should just start D4, which incidentally is what a lot of fans were clamoring for at the time
2) Reaper launches but Blizz says they're gonna move on (2014)
3) Hades is worked on from 2014-2016 with some random free content coming to D3 in that time, likely aspects from the cancelled expansion
4) Hades is cancelled/rebooted, they throw out Rise of the Necromancer to try to tide us over
5) Wyatt and some other original D3 devs move over to this Incubation team to begin work on Immortal and other smaller projects
6) Barriga is named game director, Fenris begins development (2016)
After weeks of crap from him and his ilk, I'm to the point where I read "Jason Schreier" and can write pretty much anything the article says off as lies and misinformation.
Edit: I initially posted this in the wrong thread, but have now posted it in the thread featuring the article. This post can be deleted or left here since the OP is still talking about the article.

From the article:
“There’s a lot of people who felt like Diablo III got away from what made Diablo Diablo in terms of art style and spell effects,” said a current Blizzard employee, adding that Fenris is aiming to look more like the beloved Diablo II. Said another: “They want to make this gross, make it dark, [get rid of] anything that was considered cartoony in Diablo III… Make what people were afraid of in Diablo II, but modern.”

That's good. And that imperatively has to include the writing and voice-acting. Diablo 3's writing and voice-acting was also cartoonish, being campy, throwaway, insincere, goofy...

There’s no chance of an ominous, grim, real-feeling atmosphere with writing and voice-acting like Diablo 3's.

I think it’s a good thing that Chris Metzen is gone from Blizzard now. He was amazing at art, but he absolutely sucked at writing and I think was a core driving force in Blizzard’s downward spiral into pukey uninspired fantasy tropes delivered through pukey soft cartoonish presentations.
11/24/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Aulus
After weeks of crap from him and his ilk, I'm to the point where I read "Jason Schreier" and can write pretty much anything the article says off as lies and misinformation.

Care to enlighten us monkeys with some facts about his leaks in the last few weeks of crap that have proven false? Y'know....so we have some context behind your immediate dismissal w/o even bothering to hear/read details?

I tend to judge info based on if it makes sense with context in addition to where it comes from - not just 1 or the other, so if u want more ppl to dismiss his article outright like u have, helps us understand with facts about his false leaks rather than ur opinion over his articles

and i emphasis: FALSE. LEAKS. not anything else since thats the heart to of the matter, u can dislike him and everything he says, but if his past rep with leaks proving true more often than not holds, there's more reason to believe his post than not - albiet ignoring his personal comments and opinions on the matter (which I always do because i ALSO do not agree with this guy), but the INFO itself - the quotes interest me.
11/24/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Midnight
Ofcouse its clickbait.

If it was real blizzard would have revealed it.

This is clickbait for desperate people. They milk you guys well.

If it was real they would have revealed it? huh? what are u basing this on? their history with their other failed projects like Titan & Nomad? they STILL havent revealed what those ACTUALLY were. No videogame Company or Dev ever wants to reveal their failings...why would they EVER do that? it would make them look even MORE incompetent than the Immortal fiasco....im not following ur logic.

You HAVE realized Blizzard's COMPLETE & UTTER silence on EVERYTHING Diablo since Blizzcon 3 weeks ago right? They dont know how to handle this and they are afraid of saying even a WORD that may get misconstrued and thrown back in their faces...they're not about reveal ANYTHING unless its D4 or D2 remaster, and i think at this point EVEN a D2 remaster may not quell the growing disappointment and unrest...
bottom line, Before this Article, there was ONLY disappointment....now after this article, there's STILL disappointment....but a glimmer of hope.

Because, even though there is contradictory info in the article (lending to its credit because its only natural for different employees to have different opinions on the same project/subject - id be more suspicious if all employees were in agreement) about execs rightfully giving up on D3, Reaper of Souls FIXING D3 (huh? since when are improvements considered fixes for an entire game? fixing implies its complete), some employees thinking D3 expac would have been their BEST iteration of D3 and hence, worthy of being a proper sequel to D2? In spite of all that, there is admittance in the article that that D3 in ANY form, still deviated to far from the CORE AUTHENTIC Diablo experience (and no its not on mobile).

Team 3 having a new Game Director and going in a completely new direction w/ D4 making it darker like Dark Souls (NOT the camera part ppl, the camera was something even they arent sold on, but the theme/feel/aesthetic of dark souls is the point) and embracing the darkness....that gives me HOPE....which was more than i had before reading this article because this, there was JUST Immortal....now atleast there's a CHANCE (because its a slew of unconfirmed leaks), but still a CHANCE, that Blizz actually knows Diablo 3 and Diablo Immortal really isnt the Diablo that ALL diablo fans can get behind...and thats another point...D3 split the community, there are now D2 vs D3 fans because the games are COMPLETELY different....But D3 evidently didnt succeed. Here's hoping D4 can, and if anything in this article rings true...its that Luis is the new Game Director (his profile has been updated independent of this article as such) and that he has an eye on a darker Diablo than D3...

thats not wishful thinking, thats suspicious & carefully trained interest w/o getting hopes TOO high. theres a difference between hope and the glimmer or possibility of hope. They arent the same thing, and if u think they are, i challenge u to expand ur thinking to be broader
What's with this crap that reaper of souls somehow "saved" d3? d3v was fine, but they made some bad design decisions with RoS, and it has been a steady march to mediocrity imho. Not to mention the tiny amount of support for the game.
Diablo 4 in development for 2 years? LOL. More lies and deception for damage control.

Until I see an official trailer or beta game play footage, I'm calling BS.

Don't expect D4 to be release before 2025.
11/29/2018 10:00 PMPosted by Dbazz
Diablo 4 in development for 2 years? LOL. More lies and deception for damage control.

Until I see an official trailer or beta game play footage, I'm calling BS.

Don't expect D4 to be release before 2025.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic, tbh.

It lines up with when Luis Barriga was named as a Game Director, and the article claims his project is D4.

Now, how far along it actually is, that’s anyone’s guess.
If Blizzard announces they having another company make Diablo 4 then there would be hope. Maybe have GGG make D4, and Blizzard can help with the engine.
Hope? The last thing in Pandora's box... Even if it was true, I'm sure they "hope" that the fans that they have taken a fetid crap upon buy it. I know that right now, I have no plans of buying another game from them.