Matt Uelmen should compose D4's music!

General Discussion
Diablo 2 soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks ever created. Matt Uelmen did an excellent job telling the Diablo story with music. I just listened to "Rogue Encampment" and "Wilderness" and got hit by extreme nostalgia and even had some goosebumps. One of the things that bring me back to playing D2, even after more than 15 years, are those great pieces of art that he created and how they fit the game perfectly.

We need Matt Uelmen to compose Diablo 4's soundtrack!!! Blizzard, I don't know if you have good relations with Matt or not, but you need to pay this man to at least be involved in D4 soundtrack! If there's no way for him to be involved in the project, at least try to mimic the feeling that his music conveys. D3 has some great music too like "I am Justice" and "Chains of Fate", but overall the big orchestra + choir gives a more "epic Warcraft feeling" than the expected "dark haunting Diablo feeling".
Matt did do the soundtracks for Torchlight and Torchlight II. Those are pretty decent games, I don't like them quite as much as I do the Diablo games but they're good.
I agree, without Matt Uelmon Diablo 2 would be a completely different game. It’s one of the reasons I couldn’t really get into D3 as much. Although there was probably a bigger budget for the D3 soundtrack is still sounded stale to me.

I still remember in act 2, being in the Palace Cellar and listening to the Harem soundtrack...just epic. Those female Sanskrit vocals just send chills down your spine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfq4H6Ouqdc

So dark. So good.
StarCraft 2 eventually had an option to play prequel music in-game. I wish Diablo 3 team could have swallowed their pride and incorporate optional Diablo 2 music.
Yessss D2 Music is so good.

I've often just stopped what I was doing in game, so I wouldn't create noise just to hear the epic music in D2.

Added to the atmosphere, the feel of a dark game.
Sometimes I just listen to the DII soundtrack and cry. It's a masterpiece.
Some people say d2 fanboys are driven by nostalgia.
Fact is people who never played d2 and relatives ask "what is this music? it's so good"

It's not nostalgia, it's that good.
Uelmen's music falls in the background and supports the atmosphere of the area you currently are in. The graphics and the music form a symbiosis that gives you a sense of really being in that location.

In D3, the music is not bad but often too orchestral, so it has a more of a movie dramatic effect and doesn't quite enhance the feeling of the environment and the immersion of being there.
go and dream your D4 stupidity.. downvoting.. booo!
Or just let us import D2's music and other music of our own choosing.
And let us assign in which areas which song shall play.
D3 has some great tracks too!

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsXZloMxgYM

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJCS04YHUfk
05/03/2019 11:07 AMPosted by Bodhisattwa
In D3, the music is not bad but often too orchestral

Very true. It is a common misunderstanding that photorealism and real instruments will provide a better game-experience. Typical materialistic mindset where artistic ideas take a backseat.
If you get a chance to read the eBook "Stay a while, and listen" by David Craddock, I highly recommend it. It's basically the story of how Brevik and the Schaefer bros became Blizzard North and made Diablo. It's a bunch of interviews with everyone from the team, including Uelmen. Also has some funny stories about what a POS Uelmen was in NHL '94 using cheap tactics to win games hahah. It's neat seeing how Uelmen came up with the songs, and how hard he had to work to even land a job with Blizzard in the first place.

Anyways, it's an awesome read about a company back when it was full of gamers making games for gamers. You know, what Blizzard used to be all about.
Matt Uelmen is the only one who can do a proper Diablo Soundtrack.

Music is art and art is a highly distinctive activity.

Every painter has his/her own style and the same is true for music.

Someone can try to imitate another artist, but the educated ear will notice this very fast.

I wish Matt Uelmen would do the soundtrack for D4, it would be a massive step in the right direction after the letdown in D3. And D3's music isn't even bad, far from it, it's just that it's not Diablo music IMO. Just like Pony levels, rainbow-portraits, cute pets and ridiculous wings are misplaced in a proper Diablo game.

Until Diablo 3 we were just mortal mercenaries that dared to embark onto the journey to save the world from destruction. (Note how the player is rewarded with rings, runes, and character-perks when we complete certain quests in D2LOD). With D3, we are super-heroes and Diablo and the monsters are afraid of US. This is stupid, and I hope whoever is responsible for these Lore and game-world blunders wont be let anywhere near D4.

I hope the people in charge of D4 will be true ARPG Experts. People that understand why D2LOD is one of the best ARPG's out there even today (If not THE best, while ignoring the screen-resolution and quality of life "weaknesses").

05/03/2019 01:58 PMPosted by Stanch

Anyways, it's an awesome read about a company back when it was full of gamers making games for gamers. You know, what Blizzard used to be all about.

Those times are over at Blizzard I fear.

Blizzard "devs" today are just super-casuals at best, and if they play, they play on phones. Most of them are not true Gamers like 10...20... years ago. They are Career-Driven people that happen to work in the "Gaming Industry" like Bobby Kotick.

I am not mad at career-driven people that happen to develop the games we play. What makes me mad is if those people pretend and try so hard to make it look like they are "Gamers". Just because they play snake or heartstone in the bathroom doesnt mean they are gamers.

You know who's an older game dev and a gamer? Friken David Brevik from former Blizzard-North. This guy plays frikken games with his wive and streams it. They are friken real gamers. He plays the games he builds, and he knows the deep mechanics of it better than any other gamer.

Remember when both D3 devs didn't know what "Herald of Zakarum" or "HOZ" was? epic fail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF5oJsE4uAo

Associate Game Designer doesn't know something very important from D2, but is allowed to touch D3. Are you guys still surprised with the way D3 turned out? His answer is "I played Sorc" lol? D2 has a normal loot system, and there is no "Smart(stupid) Loot" so if he played his sorc in Hell Difficulty farming Bosses or the Pit/Ancient-Tunnels for longer than 10-20 hours, then he would have found several HOZ's and would have been able to trade that HOZ for amazing Sorc items. But since that was just a lazy answer (lie) to talk himself out of the Fail-Situation, it made Diablo Fans frikken angry...

His question "What did the item do? Did it just look cool?" made Diablo Enthusiasts ever angrier, since D2 items dont have "Legendary affixes" that boost skill X by 10'000% like in D3 lol. In D2, items have powerful affixes and the combination and sum of those affixes determines how good these items are in comparison to other other similar items.
I asked David Brevik directly on reddit how Matt Uelmen created d2's music, why it was that good. I asked him if he created the music at the very end when the game was finished.
--> He said that he was working along the team while they were designing every act. And he added Uelmen was a pure talent so it helped.

I don't know if the current Blizzard has already the music artist working along them. But it seems important to be familiar with the work of the developers during the time of development. Uelmen also made diablo1 so they obviously understood very well what they wanted to achieve.

I would like to talk about lod music though. D2's act5 music is made with a symphonic orchestra. Sounds good but it sounds atmospheric just like diablo3. Not so diablo-isch.
Also I think the original D2 classic game menu music is better than lod menu's.
Yes, yet I think Lod remains superior to d2 classic gamewise.

But sound design is not only music. D2's sound fx is outstanding. It really is.
From Character menu to items dropping on the floor or spells.

Note that they hired weeks ago a Sound designer to create sounds from scratch for the diablo franchise.
But they still seek a narrative designer for recording voices: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-gb/openings/oLUy9fw6

probably for the quests and NPCs?
05/03/2019 02:22 PMPosted by TOPCommander
Matt Uelmen is the only one who can do a proper Diablo Soundtrack.

Music is art and art is a highly distinctive activity.

Every painter has his/her own style and the same is true for music.

Someone can try to imitate another artist, but the educated ear will notice this very fast.

I wish Matt Uelmen would do the soundtrack for D4, it would be a massive step in the right direction after the letdown in D3. And D3's music isn't even bad, far from it, it's just that it's not Diablo music IMO. Just like Pony levels, rainbow-portraits, cute pets and ridiculous wings are misplaced in a proper Diablo game.

Until Diablo 3 we were just mortal mercenaries that dared to embark onto the journey to save the world from destruction. (Note how the player is rewarded with rings, runes, and character-perks when we complete certain quests in D2LOD). With D3, we are super-heroes and Diablo and the monsters are afraid of US. This is stupid, and I hope whoever is responsible for these Lore and game-world blunders wont be let anywhere near D4.

I hope the people in charge of D4 will be true ARPG Experts. People that understand why D2LOD is one of the best ARPG's out there even today (If not THE best, while ignoring the screen-resolution and quality of life "weaknesses").

05/03/2019 01:58 PMPosted by Stanch

Those times are over at Blizzard I fear.

Blizzard "devs" today are just super-casuals at best, and if they play, they play on phones. Most of them are not true Gamers like 10...20... years ago. They are Career-Driven people that happen to work in the "Gaming Industry" like Bobby Kotick.

I am not mad at career-driven people that happen to develop the games we play. What makes me mad is if those people pretend and try so hard to make it look like they are "Gamers". Just because they play snake or heartstone in the bathroom doesnt mean they are gamers.

You know who's an older game dev and a gamer? Friken David Brevik from former Blizzard-North. This guy plays frikken games with his wive and streams it. They are friken real gamers. He plays the games he builds, and he knows the deep mechanics of it better than any other gamer.

Remember when both D3 devs didn't know what "Herald of Zakarum" or "HOZ" was? epic fail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF5oJsE4uAo

Associate Game Designer doesn't know something very important from D2, but is allowed to touch D3. Are you guys still surprised with the way D3 turned out? His answer is "I played Sorc" lol? D2 has a normal loot system, and there is no "Smart(stupid) Loot" so if he played his sorc in Hell Difficulty farming Bosses or the Pit/Ancient-Tunnels for longer than 10-20 hours, then he would have found several HOZ's and would have been able to trade that HOZ for amazing Sorc items. But since that was just a lazy answer (lie) to talk himself out of the Fail-Situation, it made Diablo Fans frikken angry...

His question "What did the item do? Did it just look cool?" made Diablo Enthusiasts ever angrier, since D2 items dont have "Legendary affixes" that boost skill X by 10'000% like in D3 lol. In D2, items have powerful affixes and the combination and sum of those affixes determines how good these items are in comparison to other other similar items.

Good post, I just posted the HoZ video in a separate thread without realizing someone else noticed it on here too. It's really, really hilarious.

TOPCommander, I always enjoy your posts, keep it up. One d2 fan to another.
I never liked the D2 soundtrack (other than tristram theme). However most of the D3 soundtrack was even worse for me. When it comes to Starcraft I really love the zerg and terran themes. ironically LotV had the best tracks out of SC2.
It's all a matter of taste.
I know you could say the D2 soundtrack is widely admired. Always thought it's good for an atmospheric playthrough but that's about it.
You can downvote now, but remember opinions are different.
05/04/2019 01:57 AMPosted by Horrax

And there's this thing called being wrong, i.e. not actually having an opinion.
05/04/2019 05:33 AMPosted by MADKAT
05/04/2019 01:57 AMPosted by Horrax

And there's this thing called being wrong, i.e. not actually having an opinion.

so you imply it's wrong to dislike something. Nice conclusion.

if you meant by this topic as a whole, then it should be obvious that I'm not pro Matt Uelmen in particular. So that would be "no opinion" for you. Nice conclusion.

Elaborate maybe?