A Quick Word from Blizzard

General Discussion
Prev 1 31 32 33 270 Next
I think you picked the wrong venue to announce a mobile game when everyone attending for Diablo thought it was going to be PC news. It felt like you took the most diehard fans and announced something totally not aimed at the people attending Blizzcon, which must have felt insulting to those who spent hundreds of dollars or euros just to be there for whatever is next in line for Diablo. That said I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a mobile Diablo, as long as you do it with proper Blizzard quality and no predatory business practices mobile games are known for.

What I want from Diablo right now, seeing how the next PC Diablo game will probably be quite far away, is I'd like to see content that adds depth to the existing gameplay loop and systems, a content patch or maybe a Diablo III expansion that adds new skills and a new character or two, and accomplishes that as well. But to the game I think many D2 fans have felt is shallow, and for the ones who like D3 but have been playing it for a while, adding depth to the game is important if we're stuck with D3 on PC for the near future. I know that takes time too. I'll wait.

D2 fans keep calling for darker themes but I think Reaper of Souls was really dark already, people seem to keep forgetting that and just think about the new color palette! I think exploding corpses and countless of people dying having their souls ripped from their bodies, twisted abominations that were once men, monstrosities that literally spew maggots out of the holes in their twisted bodies is plenty dark, keep up the good work :)
I understand a mobile phone game is a great decision for revenue and share holders and mobile phone [gamers / consumers] alike. You're after new profits & consumers and it it makes the company stronger so they can develop more WoW, more Diablo or more starcraft I'm totally okay with it. I will not personaly play it. ($50 a month for 1G of data.. means i'd play only on wifi, and I don't like phone games either way) $90 per month 5 GB of Shock-Free Data Unlimited minutes Unlimited messaging koodo mobile. 1 GB + 2 GB of bonus data $85/mo bell mobility. (Canadian cell phone plans are AMAZING!!) That aside, I bought the blizzcon stream this year only for Diablo info. my internet bill is $60 a month, Wow costs me $20 a month CAD, my phone costs me ~50 a month with 1 gig of data. I am a PC video game consumer. So too, it appears, was the vast majority of the crowd at blizzcon.

To find out about D3 content, I had to watch Rhykkers stream. (Published on Nov 7, 2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgpkKEK14 . That is the most definitive info I've gotten since blizzcon that there is in fact content for Diablo III coming.

I played druid in D2, Druid in WoW, and I would play Druid if it existed, as a shape shifter in D3 and D4.

I will not be playing Diablo Immortal

I grew up on Diablo I and Starcraft, then onto Diablo II in high school. I have Diablo III for PC & PS4.

The only thing you had to do was say

D2 is currently being remastered D3 expansion pack is in the works
D4... is something.

( i liked the light radius as things move out of the shadows at you)
I enjoyed hostkeying my spells in diablo II from F1 through to F12, so I had the full command of my spells at my finger tips. Being locked to 5 spells in diablo III feels as though I don't have full control over my arsenal. I'm a sorcerer, but I can only recall 5 spells at a time... maybe I could cast a memory spell to increase the amount of spells I can remember. It feels as though the development team said " you know, consoles only have 5 buttons, so PCs going forward will only get 5 spells". Forget the 101 keyboards.. they get 5 buttons, same as controller... but we won't give them controller support, for that, they have to buy a PS4, or an Xbox, or a switch, and then the game... My buddy with carpal tunnel is a real fan of every developer for that last one, really appreciates how much they care.

I was wondering if you looked at any of the backlash towards C&C Rivals...

Diablo is not a family game. have you seen "Diablo 2 - Act IV Cinematic"?

to be fair, reaper of souls cinimatic was dark and great

You need dark, terrifying horror. I'm waiting for a drud pack for diablo III to tide me over until Diablo IV.

I hope the share holders play Diablo Immortal.. because it appeared as though very few in attendance at blizzcon would.

You want to really save face ? BlizzCon® 2018 Virtual Ticket CAD 64.99 <-- that is the price of a game. you had people fly to your Country, book a Hotel, and enter your convention. You built up so much hype around various unspoken projects that were expected to be divulged at the 1 time of the year people amass to listen and see whats coming down the pipe. They traveled, they booked hotels, and you still kept in the dark. Some of the people don't even play your other properties and came only for Diablo so the virtual items that you have bundled with the ticket are pointless to them.

Everyone expects that your mobile phone is going to micro transaction-ed to hell, and views you on the same level as Electronic Arts. based upon the previous mythos that your company stands for quality, and it its not a good product, the product gets canceled. (Starcraft Ghost)

Show some good will. comp a D III expac or a portion of D IV to people who showed up in person and stood in line to receive, what they felt, was a slap in the face. lessons hurt. a lot of people feel broken about the lack of promised info and the hoops they jumped through to be given nothing. In the earnings conference call you lured over 40,000 consumers to blizzcon at $64.99.. which my trusty calc says is ~$2,599,600 I'm glad you're listening and not laughing hysterically. However, thanks to the accessibility of the Internet, almost all public companies allow individual investors to listen in on the call. your consumers are invested in your products, and their quality.
If you're going through with immortal, can you just go ahead and release starcraft ghost too?
You know, since gameplay first doesn't really seem to matter anymore.
11/07/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Nevalistis
We want to start by saying we hear you.

Since the moment we stepped into the office on Monday, we have been discussing everything Diablo non-stop. We’re fully committed to listening and engaging—so please keep the constructive feedback coming. Our primary focus right now is poring over that feedback to inform internal discussions, and we’ll follow up with further thoughts as soon as we can.

The only real question is - why didn't you already know? The fact you didn't shows how out of touch you now are with your fans, and your own game. Saying "we hear you" is more than slightly condescending damage control, and that is obvious to everyone who cares. When do you start listening?

Do you play Diablo? Do you enjoy it? If so, what the heck have you been doing? If not, then there's the root cause of the problem.
I'm glad you've posted. I was hoping for an apology, but for the sake of extending an olive branch, I'm willing to accept this is all with the right motivations (or even this was all you were able to clear to post on such a short notice) I hope that your desire to engage with us is genuine, and that's going to need a lot more than this thread (though you probably already recognize this.) I do hope that you, or the development team, can clear some of the reservations we have. I know you have limits to what you can post here, but even so much as a "I will bring this to the dev's team attention" or "I can't say anything now, but this is on our minds" would go a really long way.

I recognize you can't answer everything I'm about to ask, but anything you can say on the matter, no matter how trivial, would go a long way to helping win back the community's trust. As it currently stands, I'm so soured on this experience I don't know if I want to purchase any further titles, but I want to believe the Blizzard I love is still there. So with that, here are a few things that are my concerns:

1- I know that multiple Diablo projects are in the works, and I want to believe that they are large in scope, such as a D3 expansion and D4. However, with so much focus put on mobile titles, especially with that recent press release about moving the "most talented developers" to mobile projects, I feel like Blizzard has lost interest in keeping up its traditional game mediums. Essentially, how can we know that these projects will have the same "Blizzard polish" and love that we've come to expect from Blizzard games when all signs seem to push towards putting minimal effort in them for the sake of more lucrative money makers?

2- I love Diablo. I love the lore, I love the world you've built. To see a mobile game get a canon campaign experience is frustrating. Is this game intending to be more lore building for the games we've played now? If this is the case, how are you going to balance that considering the game is branded around drawing in new players who haven't experienced the other games?

3-I *want* to like this game. But how is it going to work with the mobile experience? Let's say this is a fabulous Diablo game that is worthy of the PC games. But how are these going to be effected by the fact that a phone's primary purpose is calling (and thus interrupting play) or for extremely short sessions in between other activities? I understand that there are 4 man dungeons, how are these going to pan out? What happens if I get called during a dungeon?

4-The infamous "Do you not have phones?" My phone screen is tiny. I didn't buy it because I wanted to game on it, so getting a large screen was not a priority. My thumbs are already going to take up a huge portion of the screen. What efforts has Blizzard taken to ensure a fun experience? Am I supposed to buy a new extremely expensive phone with a larger screen just to continue playing Diablo?

5-Time for the big elephant in the room: monetization. A lot of the community is worried that this is just trying to get a quick grab for cash. How is this game going to be monetized? I'm sorry to say, but the company that you have partnered with is known for extremely invasive or predatory monetization practices. How much control does Blizzard have over this? What is Blizzard's plan to ensure that the integrity of this franchise is not compromised for the sake of milking whales?

6-The future. I don't want to sound rude or aggressive in this post, I am legitimately genuine when I say that I love this franchise (as well as all of Blizzard's other titles) and I do not wish ill upon Blizzard. With that being said, what is Blizzard's plans to improve communication? I know this is not exclusive to the Diablo team, but many of Blizzard's communities have had to deal with communication issues. A lot of the outrage over this announcement could have easily been avoided if the communication with this community was a two-way street. This isn't even the first time we've been promised better communication. We love your games, Blizzard, and we also love your team. Nev and Wyatt, I know you two have taken a huge portion of the flak, but your community does really respect your hard work. I know I've done a terrible job reflecting that at times. But there needs to be a better way to communicate with you. I don't know how to go about it, surveys or some other means of reaching out to you, but something needs to be changed. Right now, you are losing me as a customer because I don't have any assurance to trust you anymore. I can't trust that you will continue the traditional Blizzard exceptionalism, and I don't like being so skeptical. Blizzard games are practically family to me at this point, because they'e been such a staple in my life. All I know is, we can't continue these giant droughts of no communication. These forums were dead for months until the blizzcon controversy, and I think that's a waste of potential communication.

I know right now there are a lot of pitchforks, and a lot of anxiety on both sides. But I hope that this is enough of an olive branch to at least open the doors. Please don't keep us in the dark anymore. Let us start a discussion with you. We WANT to support you, we love your games. But right now it feels like we've been left in the dust.

Since the moment we stepped into the office on Monday, we have been discussing everything Diablo non-stop. We’re fully committed to listening and engaging—so please keep the constructive feedback coming. Our primary focus right now is poring over that feedback to inform internal discussions, and we’ll follow up with further thoughts as soon as we can.

The static is gone, thank goodness.

It's better to see this, than how the forums have been since friday.

It just feels weird now that we've outraged, an then you still say this.

Just not being in the dark makes things 100 percent better.
Let me see if I understand this...

You want some constructive feedback? Ok, here it goes...

How about you don't invite your player base to a convention, make them pay for tickets, these fans travel from across the world in hope of some exciting news. They pay for travel, hotels, spending money...

Just to be told that you're making a mobile game NOBODY IN THE ROOM CARES ABOUT!

So... Constructive... Listen to your player base. It's dead simple. You make a game they want. A proper Diablo game. A dark, crude world recreated in a brilliant ARPG with proper mechanics. Not a watered down mobile game. NO TO THAT.

You create polls, you communicate, you set up a discord, you invite some high profile Diablo players, maybe even ex Diablo players to come talk with you about what the next Diablo game should be like.

Invite MrLlamaSC, Fluffy, Kripp, Alkaizer, Quin... some others. Listen to their feedback and pick their brains. Listen to us. We have been telling you for years what we want.

And the only time we mentioned a mobile game was when we were memeing.

Don't you dare sell out Blizzard.

I'm going to be playing Lost Ark until you guys have anything coherent to say on the topic. Because "we listen" sounds really shallow right now.
We have been talking to you all for years, and you all have never listened to us. It sucks that you all had to release this crap and get the backlash you did to even acknowledge us. I have seen these forums FULL of amazing ideas over the years, and you all always turn a blind eye, NEVER a response, NOTHING. Then we get a mobile announcement at a PC gaming convention. How could you all not see the outrage this would create before hand? Hell a Diablo mobile game may be for some people, but I tell you what. If Diablo 4 is indeed in the works, why not spend your money and efforts on a big content patch or even a small expansion to keep us with something to do until the release of D4?? If you all care about our feedback, you would have read the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of posts with great ideas that would have helped the longevity of D3 and kept us entertained. But nope you all were never there. Never once responded to any ideas, NOTHING, you all were no where to be found. All this is, is a way for you all to try to clean up your screw up. You haven't been there for us in the past, and I'm not happy that now you decide to try to be here for us now.

I'm not sure if there is anything you all can do to gain my trust back at this point. Show us that you genuinely care, and take the proper steps to mend this massive wound, and I might have some faith in you as a company. Until I see steps taken on your all's part to prove we matter you you all, I'm not holding my breath.
I Think it would be cool if you guys made Diablo immortal playable on PC as well as on all consoles, and make all versions have cross-play and cross-progression. I think this would help appease some fans and would be an interesting experiment to see how it all works because a games never really done cross-play and cross progression with every platform before, and it would be able to tide us over till the next Diablo project is announced.
You think you heard us.. But you didn't.
11/07/2018 08:35 PMPosted by OMSK
1. Mobile games are okay, they have their audience and i believe most people would be okay with you expanding to mobile market.
2. Make a statement about diablo-related PC products, if you don't feel like you have a new incredible game ideas to work with - just lay it out. People waited diablo 3 for a LOOOONG time and no one was pissed.

Also i feel like people would want an apologie, not "we are listening" or "do you not have a phone"

Better yet, don't have your lead devs and main focus be a mobile game. It should be a fling, a side project; an announcement for a slow Thursday afternoon...
Thanks for the response, hope to hear more.
11/07/2018 08:59 PMPosted by eclap78
I'm going to be playing Lost Ark until you guys have anything coherent to say on the topic. Because "we listen" sounds really shallow right now.

I don't feel quite so strongly about the whole thing, but I'd recommend skipping Lost Ark, monetization seems to be that in addition to cosmetics they'll be limiting dungeon runs and you can pay real money to enter more times.. Hard pass from me for Lost Ark.

Hi, some constructive criticism:

1) It was a disappointing
But that wasn't really the big issue. With so much hype there was going into Blizzcon (even after your cooldown post) anything short of a D4 reveal with gameplay and maybe a Remastered D2 or D1, the community was going to leave somewhat disappointed. Obviously, a mobile reveal was going to go down like a truck, and you guys should've known that better. I'm sure there were voices at Blizzard that thought this was a bad idea, listen to them next time.

2) Mobile gaming is not "real" gaming
At least not in the West. Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation, or at least how MOST of the gaming community feels. I understand business-wise your corporate suits over there "need" to get into the market, and I also believe maybe some Blizzard old-schoolers might've even fallen for the meme "mobile is just another platform guys". It is not, or at least that's not how we see it. As we stand today, mobile games are seen (and largely, are) as cash-grabs pass-times for people waiting to do something IRL (stuck at the airport, toilet, etc).
So, as suggestion, stop trying to shove it down the throats of your community. Look at past blunders (EA with C&C mobile, Lootboxes, etc), everytime a company has tried to shove a narrative down their communities, it eventually lost or had to backtrack.
You need to let the mobile gaming community grow organically and earn its acceptance, not push it. Revealing a mobile gaming in Blizzcon is beyond tone-deaf because of this reason.

3) Your community felt disrespected
This ties to my point above. It wasn't just disappointment, it was the fact that you guys (Blizzard, not necessarily Diablo team) thought that you could present a Diablo mobile game (developed by a third-rate Chinese developer) as the legitimate "expected" successor in the franchise, and that your core audience was stupid enough to accept it, just because it was presented as such.
Come on guys, be honest, this is not really Blizzard doing what it used to do best, "making epic experiences", or "gameplay first", this is 100% a business decision (understandable and reasonable), BUT you presented it to us as if this was just another amazing Blizzard game that you made out of passion and talent, the next logical Diablo experience in the franchise. We all know it wasn't, and you insulted our intelligence by sending Wyath out there to try to sell us this as such.

4) Suggestions moving forward
- Knowledge the mistake and apologize to your community.
- Stop trying to push Diablo Immortal in the west, it will just anger the community further. This game was made for China, we all know that, put your marketing budget there.
- Try to share your plans for the Diablo franchise, even if those are far from being ready. This will go a long way to prevent further deterioration of your community.
- For the love of God, DO NOT double down on the "mobile gaming is just another platform" meme. This is really going to hurt your reputation outside the franchise.

Sorry, but actions speak louder than words.

You frankly don't deserve our trust at the moment.
First off let me say I 100% understand from a business standpoint why a mobile game is lucrative,,,er i mean appealing. It opens up new markets and a micro transactions make you a greed vault of money. Blizzard is a business and has to make money. So a mobile game makes sense. And realistically you're going to make money from people buying it just to rag on it.

Your fan base and the loyal customers that have supported you through thick and thin....talking about you real money AH, is PC gamers. Give us something. Throw us a bone so that we don't run to POE with our wallets out. Druid, a full xpac, a D4 teaser trailer. SOMETHING. You can say coming in a million years. It doesn't matter. give us something. You need to reconnect to you PC fans.

i remember watching Blizz videos about Titan. When it was scratched because it didn't live up to Blizzards standards. That's the Blizz we love. How does this mobile follow in that vein? THAT is why people are mad. The company that says we don't care how much money and time we dump into a project, if it sucks we wont put the Blizz stamp on it. Does Diablo Immortal make you want to put the Blizz stamp of approval? It looks like a money grab.

You have a PR issue. BE TRANSPARENT. Good bad and ugly. We need to see you ACTUALLY hear us and are working on something. Worst thing you can do is go silent. A big announcement is nice and all and builds hype, but you need to put something out for PC/console ASAP. Stop the bleeding.

An official comment on the Youtube fiasco would be nice too. Take your lumps, lick your wounds, admit where you were wrong, and move on to the healing.
Diablo on mobile is really not a problem. It will need a realease on every playform.
Then people had the opportunity to play where they want
People just don't need to be forced to play it on mobile.
I don't play on my phone at all, so i would play it on pc.
If you're going to drop a standard response and then disappear for days or weeks, what's the point? I'll say my peace just in the odd chance you actually do listen. Not you specifically Nevalistis, but Blizzard as a whole.

People are rightfully upset. You just burned your PC audience regarding Diablo at your own convention. A convention dominated by PC gamers. I can't state enough how ridiculous that is. Someone had to know this was a terrible idea.
Yet, you went through with it anyways.

You guys need to tell us something, not vague statements like multiple Diablo projects are being worked on. Unfortunately, that isn't going to cut it for a lot of people. A lot of good will was damaged at Blizzcon.
Truly sad scene.
Not only Diablo 3 currently is a dead game atm, because you took AH away from it, and nothing is happening for 15 seasons in the row, oh where is the promised PVP?, but on top of this you are trying to sell us some cheap sub-par Chinese product that is covered with a nice Diablo sticker.

Times have changed Blizzard, you are not monopolistic company no more in this market, and the player base just showed you whats up. 20 years of hard well-earned reputation and you ruin it in a single day. Somebody's better be getting fired.

With that being sad, if you continue with your initial mobile release, assure yourselves, your dying PC community will definitely leave.
That's all? After 3 days all we get is the good and old "we are listening".

I mean, you guys better show us something solid. No "we are working on multiple projects" excuse.