Were D1 and D2 that gory compared to D3?

General Discussion
I see A LOT of people calling D2 gory, which is somewhat true... there's blood here and there and elements of horror like dead bodies (all of which are present in D3).

D1 and D2 were not particularly gory, but it did a better job at making you notice it. It felt more real, more organic.

#1 the silence, only broken by the sounds of demons nearby or your skills. This made it feel a bit more like a horror game on the first playthrough.
#2 Nudity, pretty much the only thing D2 had over D3, you can see andariel's "attributes", which is a bit useless to me. Still it caused quite a bit of controversy when Blizzard said there would be no such thing in D3.
#3 You could die at anytime. You play the game for the first time, thinking everything is going to go well and then you face that monster/boss you didn't expect to hit that hard.
#4 Picking up your corpse, probably part of the gore and a challenge for those who played offline and didn't want to start clearing the map all over again.
#5 Corpse explosion in D2, oh wait we have that in D3

The way I see it, the gore is still very much present on PC (mobile is different, but hey... blame the chinese lol). If Blizzard announced a new Diablo for PC, I think it's safe to say the softcore gore from D1, D2 and D3 would still be a thing.
D1 and D2 have got more gore, D3 ist just way too colorful, you also have no corpses unless you play necro.
The 2 former games are just darker overall, that's what we identify as a Diablo game.
Ya D3 was about as gory *unpopular opinion* if not more so, but it felt to cartoony were as D1 and D2 it more subtle.
11/09/2018 09:58 PMPosted by InsaneChriZ
D1 and D2 have got more gore, D3 ist just way too colorful, you also have no corpses unless you play necro.
The 2 former games are just darker overall, that's what we identify as a Diablo game.

Yes, it felt darker and more like a horror game. Very true, but the gore wasn't anything shocking. A monster dies and then a splash of blood, D3 also has that.

What's missing is the gothic undertone, at least for me.
I actually feel that D3 is more gory than D1 and D2, which were running at much lower resolutions and did not have enough detail to really be called gory.
The standard for what is considered "gory" beyond the literal definition has loosened a lot over the years.
Doom was considered gory back in it's day. Now it's cartoonish at best.
I can't speak for D1 or 2 directly as I've played little of them, nor did I play them during their prime. Though I can't imagine the standard to be too different from Doom.
11/09/2018 09:58 PMPosted by InsaneChriZ

You're kidding, right? The very first place you're dropped into at the gates of New Tristram is quite literally littered by piles of corpses. You can see this repeatedly throughout various places in the game, such as the halls of agony, Wortham, The Caldeum Sewers, the fields of slaughter.... I could go on forever.

Have you not seen either how monsters blow up into pieces leaving big blood stains splattered all over the place? The game may be more colorful, but that doesn't mean it's not gory as hell. It takes quite literally a simple "diablo 3 gore" search to have a metric ton of examples of this. All that's "darker" in D2 is that arbitrary light radius, but that's pretty much it.

Other than that, D1 in particular had a far more oppressive ambiance heavily influenced by the slower pacing. You couldn't just outrun everything unless you already had the teleport spell. Playing a warrior in Hell was terrifying because of how vulnerable you were, and stuff could just kite the hell out of you without you having any resources to catch up to them. That and the music, which was still so much better than D2's overall.
11/09/2018 10:08 PMPosted by Merdrah
The standard for what is considered "gory" beyond the literal definition has loosened a lot over the years.
Doom was considered gory back in it's day. Now it's cartoonish at best.
I can't speak for D1 or 2 directly as I've played little of them, nor did I play them during their prime. Though I can't imagine the standard to be too different from Doom.

I mean small pools of blood in catacomb lvl 4 was kinda gory when I was 8yo, but now I see much more gore in almost every game that I play beside the Diablo series.
During my first playthrough of Diablo 3 during it's launch, I was actually stunned when they showed King Leoric ordering his wife's execution. Diablo 3 definitely deserves some of it's criticisms with how the game did things, but it was moments like that, that gave me goosebumps.
Yes, they were gory

However, the biggest factor was the atmosphere which helped and greatly attributed to the gore in the game.

You can add rainbow mission and plenty of gore, it wont feel like gore. D2 atmosphere was crazy good. Felt dark, Gothic, medieval, dark ages..etc. Villains were scary as hell and treated with respect

Man D3 is bad........
11/09/2018 10:21 PMPosted by MCHammer
Yes, they were gory

However, the biggest factor was the atmosphere which helped and greatly attributed to the gore in the game.

You can add rainbow mission and plenty of gore, it wont feel like gore. D2 atmosphere was crazy good. Felt dark, Gothic, medieval, dark ages..etc. Villains were scary as hell and treated with respect

Man D3 is bad........

It's true that killing unicorns and teddy bears isn't... Diablo...
There was gore in all three games. However, even though the prior games have less resolution they were more realistic and gritty vs. Diablo 3 which was more cartoonish. It's hard to have a dark and lonely atmosphere when you're literally walking through a Van Gogh painting fighting butterfly villains, rainbows, unicorns, etc. It does have its moments (People on walls/pikes/blood trails. Yes Diablo 3 has gore, but it's the tone that doesn't do it justice.
11/09/2018 10:28 PMPosted by Matheyus
There was gore in all three games. However, even though the prior games have less resolution they were more realistic and gritty vs. Diablo 3 which was more cartoonish. It's hard to have a dark and lonely atmosphere when you're literally walking through a Van Gogh painting fighting butterfly villains, rainbows, unicorns, etc. It does have its moments (People on walls/pikes/blood trails. Yes Diablo 3 has gore, but it's the tone that doesn't do it justice.

Also, I feel like the look of you hero is a bit exagerated in D3... I like the more basic look of D2, while D3 is just too flashy. The necromance was well designed in D3, I'll give them that.
11/09/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Imperius

It's a joke. Just like those ridiculous cows with pitchforks. Don't tell me you took those seriously....

To be perfectly honest, I actually find the soundtrack in whimsyshire to be unsettling AF. Ironically, it also happens to be the most memorable and suitable theme for the type of game Diablo is, lol. It's quite fascinating, honestly.
Diablo 1 was very dark, very gritty, and plenty gory. Enter the butcher's room as an illustration. D2 wasn't quite as dark and gritty but it had a decent amount of gore and still had a dark oppressive feel to many of it's environments. When we look at D3 it's a damn cartoon in comparison. Yes there is blood and guts in D3 but it's way too bright and colorful for the most part. The poster talking about D1 music is spot on btw the music in D1 is excellent for giving that dark scary vibe. I don't know how Blizzard strayed so far with Diablo but they really screwed things up.
11/09/2018 10:39 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
11/09/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Imperius

It's a joke. Just like those ridiculous cows with pitchforks. Don't tell me you took those seriously....

To be perfectly honest, I actually find the soundtrack in whimsyshire to be unsettling AF. Ironically, it also happens to be the most memorable and suitable theme for the type of game Diablo is, lol. It's quite fascinating, honestly.

Well the cows were not nice lol anyone tried clearing the cow level in hell without proper gear? Those bovines from hell hit like a mothertrucker (can't say that word so you get the family friendly version)
Doesnt matter if it is a video game or a movie. I never liked unnecessary violence and nudity (yea im talking about saw series...). In terms of gore, D2 takes the top spot, others are not even close. The only difference between D1 and D2 was that D1's graphics were inferior to the second game. In terms of being scary i think D1 was a lot more scarier than all of the so called "horror games" of today that depend on cheap jump scares.

Gore

In D2 the amount of gore and placement was perfect. Not too much, not too obvious but just perfect. For me the jail levels in chapter 1 takes the cake. If you think about it, jail is already a violent place due to setting. These are violent criminals, the worst of the worst (talking about medieval ages) and if you add a demon invasion on top of that, well yea, things will go full red. You see bodies on tables split in half, you see a woman's torso chained from the wrists to a device and just hanging there, it just went perfect with the setting.

Horror

D1 was the flawless dark fantasy game. The light radius feature has been processed so well that when something was approaching you, you instantly had the feeling of "do i even wanna face that?". The original butcher encounter (which was random btw) was amazing. You are exploring the map and all of a sudden you see a room full of bodies, placed on hooks on the walls. That alone is scary enough for you to stay the F away from that room but no, you just had to enter right? You open the door and a giant demon charging at you with the sentence "ah fresh meat!". Then on another game (again, random) you see a unique looking door and you wanna know whats inside. As soon as you enter, you hear a voice "the warmth of life has entered my tomb" when there is nothing around you and you went "what the hell was that?!". Everything about the game was flawless; the music (especially), the maps, the theme, characters.

Just listen to these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrK90XJfqRs (lvls 5-9 i think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yul_AGm-7GI (3:27 - til the end)

Diablo 3 was ok imo, yea graphics and the production was nice. But it was missing that character, that thing which made the previous ones unique individually. The game was way too colorful, just looking gorgeous. If it was a simple hack n slash game that would have probably made it great but Diablo is a dark fantasy and in this case being colorful is a bad thing. For me the game was an OK experience mostly due to M rating. I understand they wanna make money while staying true to the game's roots but A rating is the way to go, anything below and you just made an OK game rather than amazing.

As for Andariel debate, i think it was great. Like i wrote above im always against unnecessary nudity but in the case of Andariel it was good. When you faced Mephisto, a demon who only has a torso with almost no flesh on his body, you didnt go "dude where is your armor?". Because you knew that it was a supernatural being and you had to face it in its true form, in its full glory. It is the same principle for Andariel. If anything it only added to the authenticity in my opinion and it was good. Besides, i bet most people who didnt approve her looks would probably didnt even notice that her hair is waving upside down, to me that was the best part.
Diablo 1 was ABSOLUTELY more gorey. Diablo 1, on level TWO, had a room literally filled with human guts, walls plastered with gore, and organs, blood and all sorts of gooey bits, dead body fragments hung from the walls, and suspended via pikes.

That's Level 2. In other areas, you then find villagers, stripped down and with limbs cut off, pools of blood collected near the stumps. You LOOT those for gold and gear, but mostly gold and tiny items like rings.

Mostly all humanoid enemies crumble into a pool of their own blood when you kill them, and this includes you.

When you die in Diablo 1, enemies KEEP HACKING YOUR BODY as you fall into a pool of your own blood. not like in Diablo 2 where they stop attacking and go back to business as usual, aka, being lazy monsters wherever they were fought.

When I say "Fall into a pool of their/your own blood" I mean... these pools of blood look like large puddles, only formed from the red, black, blue, or even yellow blood in their veins. Certain humanoid enemies basically crumble into dust, not really gory, but still kinda nasty.

Even some beast-like enemies crumple into their own pool of blood.

The Hidden, an enemy that can go invisible (but can still be hit whilst invisible unlike literally ALL enemies who go insivible in Diablo 3), when you kill them, their head falls off, and most of their death noise, is their head hitting the floor. Fallen basically gurgle on blood as they die.

So yes, Diablo 1 is more gory than Diablo 3, by literal light years. Tell me a single moment where, an enemy in Diablo 3 dies, and you can see a pool of blood form from their dead corpse, that is larger than their body itself.

Hell, Succubi in Diablo 1? They both crumple into their own pool of blood, AND THEY MELT at the same time.

Try playing Diablo 1 and 2 for crying out loud. Diablo 2 has act 4 where potentially lootable items are literally made of human sufferring, enemies resemble stillborn monster children, and EAT OTHER MONSTER CORPSES to spit at you as an attack. Human souls strapped to the floor, where, you have to kick them in HALF to loot them. Fire will burst from some others, their corpses hanging back at an uncomfortable angle.
Some enemies fall into their own blood, but it's way less obvious to see.

Diablo 1 is easily the most gory Diablo game, and it's the largest part of why I love it the most.

The 2nd zone in Diablo 1, might be ungory if decapitated and mutilated human bodies never spawned, but there's still a frequent doodad there where isolated pools of monster and human blood can be found, but also literal sections of skin are hung from walls, lying on floors, blood accompanying them.

I also forgot to mention, bodies hanging from the tips of spikes and spears are commonplace in the Hell levels, and I've seen upper halves of bodies hung via shackles in the Catacombs, and Hell.

Diablo is the wrong !@#$in' game series to make family friendly, lemme tell you Hwat.
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e02G8y000WE&t=2s

The atmosphere and sound were chilling.
I think it's the improvement of the graphics that has everyone debating over this.

All of the games have more or less the same amount of gore, but with better graphics comes the sense of realism. If for instance d2 was higher resolution and not the gritty graphics it had back then, then it wouldn't have the same dark tone everyone says. It was the low graphics that helped to give it a dark tone.

On the other hand d3 had a bit of a different approach, for the most part, d3 is with a Grey undertone, giving it a sense of dread or hopelessness. Besides areas like pony land (which is just an optional joke from their part), nothing is really overally colorful.

If you add other games into the equation like GD or Poe, you see that they have more "color" than the rest, specifically since some of their graphics include a shine on surfaces, making a lot of things look like it's wet. Some like that, I don't.

In a sense, all the games are gory, but depending on how much the graphics enhances it, it's presented in a different way.