Decades+ old franchises

General Discussion
We could argue all day long about game systems, lore and Activision influence when we reminisce about the glory days of Blizzard.

But step outside of Blizzard and look around and you'll see almost the same reactions for everything ranging from Street Fighter to Final Fantasy. The current titles just aren't as good as what they once were.

The only two that seem to be immune to this are Mario and Zelda.

Is nostalgia stronger than we really think? Are we all getting to old? Or is Nintendo really that good?

Just random things that come up when I try to look at gaming in general as objectively as possible......
11/25/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Deadtomato
We could argue all day long about game systems, lore and Activision influence when we reminisce about the glory days of Blizzard.

But step outside of Blizzard and look around and you'll see almost the same reactions for everything ranging from Street Fighter to Final Fantasy. The current titles just aren't as good as what they once were.

The only two that seem to be immune to this are Mario and Zelda.

Is nostalgia stronger than we really think? Are we all getting to old? Or is Nintendo really that good?

Just random things that come up when I try to look at gaming in general as objectively as possible......

Those thoughts seems to be made on toilet time. Maybe when D:I comes out it'll help you to clarify them.
For some people it is nostalgia, for others they have legitimate concerns about the direction of a game they are fans of.
Meanwhile Falcom is killing it with their Legend of Heroes series and Ys series. We have a ton of indies putting out games that have stood against and compete with the AAA industry (PoE being one of them).

What we are seeing is the steady death of the AAA industry that has concerned itself more with shareholders then its customers.
It's just big video games companies becoming more and more greedy.

Most of them do not put any passion in their games anymore. They just want to earn more and more money.

And yes I got it companies are here to make money. But at some point when it is your ONLY goal, don't expect to create quality products anymore.
I'm sure the devs in most cases would love to create quality products but throw in publisher decisions and tight deadlines and you get the usual crap we get today.