Request: Additional power increase options

General Discussion
The game boils down to basically just a few ways to progress, gear, caldesans augs, 3 used leg gems and paragon.

Once you have near perfect gear and hit a wall on leveling gems, arguably all there is left to do is grind paragon.

It'd be nice if some other way power increase was available to the player through crafting materials or xp gear, several ways I can think of we could increase power available to the player through play time are:

~ xp on gear, in some way grinding experience increases the stats on worn gear, make gear xp transferable between gear pieces for some diminished value.

~ add new paragon attributes. many stats increase that are not in paragon.

~ New cube recipe to add up to 1 additional primary/secondary effect on any item

~ increase ranks of highest level regular gems; topaz, emerald, ruby, etc

~ charms, charm bag

Can you think of any? I think adding some more ways players can increase their character power end game would significantly increase the replayability of this game. Once you get to a certain point its only grinding para and each paragon point is like adding one ten thousandth of an up, not much to look forward to.
Yeah because the game needs more power creep.
10/08/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Sokon
Can you think of any? I think adding some more ways players can increase their character power end game would significantly increase the replayability of this game. Once you get to a certain point its only grinding para and each paragon point is like adding one ten thousandth of an up, not much to look forward to.

None that can fit into D3, because all D3 allows players to do is slowly creep up their damage to kill monsters with slowly creeped up life.

This is why player damage and monster life has ascended into the million-bazillions; There was no other thing that the devs could do within their stupid little D3 sandbox. The game has locked itself into a realm of mediocrity, because it was built from the ground up for kids who want nothing more.

Then it was consumed by players who either enjoyed the lame content you describe or just announced that to expect anything huge from blizzard after the game was already made, was a lost cause from that point on.
Have you tried limiting yourself as far as builds go and seeing how far you can go with those limitations? No one is making you play the strongest builds, you can challenge yourself you know :)
10/08/2018 08:39 PMPosted by SuperCuddles
Have you tried limiting yourself as far as builds go and seeing how far you can go with those limitations? No one is making you play the strongest builds, you can challenge yourself you know :)

This 100%

It would be nice to see this paired with Blizzard acknowledging a lot of players play this way, and creating a leaderboard for each set, as well as a no-set leaderboard for each class.

It creates a level competition for those that want to play a certain way. I would go as far as creating a true D3 SSF league as well, which would really juice things up with those no-set leaderboards!
Top difficulty is T13 or GR 60 and a four person team can do a GR 150 and you want more power. How useless a player are you. I'd be pretty high on the useless player part and I don't need more power so why do you
Or is it a case of you want to do GR 150 in under 2 mins and T13 rifts in 2 seconds and make the game more pathetic then what it already is
well i do really like playing the game but once at a certain level and gear all that left is paragon grind. it'd be nice if there was something else as well is all, and I tried to provide multiple ideas.
Too me most of this sounds just like more content stretching instead of new content.

You will still only push greater rifts to increase a number.
Does it even matter if it is the number of your paragon level, your gem level or your augments?

Charms might actually work out cause at least they would push that "perfect gear" cap a bit higher and people could get actually useful drops again, but they would need to be rare to make the effect last and the majority of the D3 community doesn't seem to like low droprates on anything besides cosmetic items and despises RNG in general.
I've make a build to run T13-GR60 with ancient legs only. Fun build.
We already have more than enough power as it is right now. So adding to power creep by going the route you are going wouldn't help any at all. Instead a horizontal non power creep progression would be better. Either way this would be better imo for D4.
10/08/2018 08:14 PMPosted by Orrion

You're kidding, right? Do you not fathom the absurdity of what you just said? This game is ALL power creep. Other than the story line, that's all there is to it. Do X, gain power. Wash, rinse, repeat. ARPG loot-pinata games are nothing BUT never-ending powercreep.

Frankly, I agree with the OP. There should be more and varied ways of increasing your characters power. Add more high-end tiers to the basic gems (And if you bring up the old and pointless tiers that Blizzard removed, I will smack you down with "They weren't relevant to end-game anything"). Re-tool Ramas to a chance-based socket addition for all items, up to a max of 3 for large items or 1 for small items -- but there's an equal chance the item might be destroyed instead. Create a new kind of gift that players can find that can be applied to items that will randomly boost one primary or secondary stat on it. Add armor kits to increase armor values on items. And yes, an infinite Torment level, comparable in progression curves to Greater Rifts.

The more things we have to hunt, craft, find, use, and consume, the longer players have a reason to keep playing! Or...maybe that's the point of leaving the game in a stagnant state? Maybe they're waiting for everyone to get bored and move on so they can close down the servers?
power creep, the lazy way to 'improve the game' that actually doesn't do anything save pat players on the bum and guide them up a few GR higher than they're otherwise incapable of doing. Because it did so much to enhance the game each time they did is so far, right?

Oh wait, it didn't improve anything. Issues with gameplay, lack of diversity still exist. Imagine that, something that doesn't improve the game in anyway left broken things broken.

Just leave it as it is instead of power creeping, save the resources and developer time for something more useful.
10/12/2018 05:42 PMPosted by LostSoul
but there's an equal chance the item might be destroyed instead.

That is a terrible idea. No one should be punished just for trying to improve their gear. I've always hated it when RPG games included that kind of luck-based curse/penalty in them.

i've looked at your posts and almost anypost you respond to that talks about new items , effect , option , anything new that you would have to work for you downvote and troll them.

please stop being you.

the problem with using limited builds is that it is frowned apon not to use higher tier sheep builds in public games.

using a lon set or an off meta build brings nothing but backlash from people who sheep it up and copy icyvains

honestly i find this community to be very closed minded with progression.

but at the same time i know that when blizzard decides to release anything these same people who down vote everything & tell everyone else that the game doesnt need new content will not complain one bit.

becuase Sheep.

you sir are a sheep.
10/12/2018 06:06 PMPosted by lordvoss1988

the problem with using limited builds is that it is frowned apon not to use higher tier sheep builds in public games.

using a lon set or an off meta build brings nothing but backlash from people who sheep it up and copy icyvains

honestly i find this community to be very closed minded with progression.

but at the same time i know that when blizzard decides to release anything these same people who down vote everything & tell everyone else that the game doesnt need new content will not complain one bit.

becuase Sheep.

you sir are a sheep.

I am sure that he/she is talking about playing solo. You can play any build that you want solo that isn't any part of a meta and see how far you can go with it.
10/12/2018 05:42 PMPosted by LostSoul

You're kidding, right? Do you not fathom the absurdity of what you just said? This game is ALL power creep. Other than the story line, that's all there is to it. Do X, gain power. Wash, rinse, repeat. ARPG loot-pinata games are nothing BUT never-ending powercreep.

Yet I can't name another ARPG or MMO where your skills hit for TRILLIONS OF DAMAGE. I don't even think there's one that breaks the hundred million mark, or even gets close.

Frankly, I agree with the OP. There should be more and varied ways of increasing your characters power. Add more high-end tiers to the basic gems (And if you bring up the old and pointless tiers that Blizzard removed, I will smack you down with "They weren't relevant to end-game anything"). Re-tool Ramas to a chance-based socket addition for all items, up to a max of 3 for large items or 1 for small items -- but there's an equal chance the item might be destroyed instead. Create a new kind of gift that players can find that can be applied to items that will randomly boost one primary or secondary stat on it. Add armor kits to increase armor values on items. And yes, an infinite Torment level, comparable in progression curves to Greater Rifts.

The more things we have to hunt, craft, find, use, and consume, the longer players have a reason to keep playing! Or...maybe that's the point of leaving the game in a stagnant state? Maybe they're waiting for everyone to get bored and move on so they can close down the servers?

More ways to increase character power isn't what's needed. Your character power is off the charts nuts. Now, if they massively reduced the numbers and retooled everything so that it was a bunch of letters that made up character power instead of A+B+C where A (gear) is 99% of the equation, then sure, I'm on board. But you and I know that's not in the cards.

----

The problem is infinite difficulty, and to a lesser extent regular Rifts. Those 2 things made it so that the rest of the game was trivialized. Those 2 things also made it so that pretty much everything else they added that would be considered "content" elsewhere is not content.

For example, when Grim Dawn's new expansion hits, even though there is no level cap increase there will be a new Act plus new areas to explore plus new items to farm plus new Nemesis monsters to hunt plus a bunch of new items to grab from different places plus a bunch of new quest lines plus factions plus new hidden stuff plus a new rogue dungeon (if not 2) plus new builds and skills, etc.

If D3 added a new expansion with a new Act and nothing else changed, then we'd run the Act once to see it, and then go back to doing Rifts and Greater Rifts. Exploration would be pointless and all the items would be in Rifts so there would be no monsters to hunt or quests to do or factions or hidden things to seek out and any new builds and skills would be entirely reliant on whether there was a set to support them.

No matter what they do, unless they undo infinite difficulty and Rifts, there will never be anything else worth doing.
If you want to remove the paragon grind, simply remove exp from GR. Or limit it to what you gain on T13.

Or you can cap paragon. Caps and limits are a good thing.
lowering the carrot cap does exactly the same...
10/12/2018 06:02 PMPosted by lordvoss1988

i've looked at your posts and almost anypost you respond to that talks about new items , effect , option , anything new that you would have to work for you downvote and troll them.

please stop being you.

So care to enlighten us as to how you can tell who has downvoted a post and conversely who has upvoted a post let us all into the secret of knowing who has hit what button