D3 Legacy of Power Creep and D4 Anticipation

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 10 Next
There's nothing wrong with people who are casual or casual play, especially those who care about the game to suggest ways to improve it.

The problem is casuals like Mercury who talk down to other players when they themselves barely know anything.

Doubly so when they defend Blizzard's design flaws without even knowing what they speak of.
@Archael Most people can not even understand why most design choices are made in this game, let along the franchise. So this kinda conversations are common, but hell... Why are you willing to sacrifice your credibility for something you don't understand or even fully believe?
Yeah, I understand. My issue is posters like Mercury and their attitude towards other casuals. It's really toxic.

"Haha you don't play this game" yet he sits there defending design choices which any well-versed player -- particularly the top ranked ones -- can see plain as day.

EVERY competitive Diablo 3 player is well-aware of how detrimental the power creep has been for ALL levels of play. It's okay to admit it, I would say it's healthy, even, for the future of the franchise.
I do enjoy irritating fanboys. Troll, idk I don’t respond to everyone that likes the game, mostly just those that can find no fault.
I personally am ok with power creep if done well, but there was 0 attempt at rebalancing older items to be on par with the strength of the newer items that was added into the game, I get some cant like royal ring of grander but others like furnace definitely could of had some sort of buff
10/29/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Archael
I understand if you have no good answer to a Rank 1 player

Who cares, you keep repeating yourself.
You don't play seasons, no hardcore mode, mostly group play and
have massive Paragon Points.
Show us how it's done solo, in a mode that your buddies can't
bail you out, start seasonal and where you can't keep your best
gear for life.
PS, calling anyone casual is dumb, cause what does that say about you?
You obviously play unhealthy amounts and live an unhealthy life,
nothing to brag about.
10/30/2018 12:28 AMPosted by LocknLoad
10/29/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Archael
I understand if you have no good answer to a Rank 1 player

gear for life.
nothing to brag about.
Check my profile in game for season #12 hardcore. If you can't be bothered I ranked #11 wizard hardcore without playing any group games. Also ranked #2 wizard in season #10.

Does my opinion count? Everything Archael and most people who are not Mercury says is true. The absurd amount of difficulties and vast range of damage is a major flaw. If you're too blind to see it that's your problem, but at least stop trying to convince everyone that it's fine. I do know for a fact if Blizzard releases a Diablo 4 that is anything like Diablo 3 I will not be spending 1 cent on it.
Talking about cheapshot trolls and they get shut down by legit players. I need some popcorn while watching this crap unfolds. Haha. I wanna applause Blizzard itself as they finally goaded high tier players into being honest with feedback and raise their voice. Some defensive peeps catching flak is just extra.
How can you not tell anything is wrong with the game when most favored streamers fall off from the face of the game and simply quit it?
I'm "okay" with it. I just wish there was a way to have had those earlier feats retain meaningfulness;
10/29/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Mercury
And again, I disagree with his reasoning. I would never trade the game as it is now for the game where p800 was endgame. That specific number is not critical to how I enjoy the game. But the mechanics related to its current range are critical to how I enjoy the game.

Right so having up to 800 paragon levels for example as the end game is terrible, but having paragon levels soar way up into the thousands and beyond, is, according to you, related to the mechanics and is critical to you enjoyment of the game..........

I'm just trying to figure out why you associate these incredibly high numbers with joy.........why have you made this connection, and why is the connection so strong in your mind....
10/30/2018 12:28 AMPosted by LocknLoad

gear for life.
nothing to brag about.

I'm standing up for casuals and defending the ones who are able to point out flaws with the game in a constructive manner. Those players have more in common with me than the people who blindly defend aspects of the game which drove a lot of the player-base away.

I was solo barb r1 some eras ago using Earthquake if you think it's just solo that matters. Not sure what to tell you if you think 4 man pushes are only about having no life or a lot of paragon. There's a ton of ultra high paragon people in the game that literally play all day and can't do 150s.

But anyway, I said from the start that I don't consider people's game achievements when I discuss the game mechanics with them, I was specifically attacking Mercury's rhetoric because that's what he was doing.

He was talking down to people that disagreed with him and said that "they don't even play the game". That's attacking someone's opinion for being a casual. The irony there is that Mercury himself is ALSO a casual.

I wrote;
"Game credentials" do not matter to me at all when I talk to people, but since you are using that lame argument to shield yourself from criticism I thought I'd let you know that in my eyes, YOU have no idea what you're talking about with regards to pushing, the game's mechanics on any level of play, and that the game does indeed have massive flaws due to power creep.
10/30/2018 05:13 AMPosted by Shurgosa
10/29/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Mercury
And again, I disagree with his reasoning. I would never trade the game as it is now for the game where p800 was endgame. That specific number is not critical to how I enjoy the game. But the mechanics related to its current range are critical to how I enjoy the game.

Right so having up to 800 paragon levels for example as the end game is terrible, but having paragon levels soar way up into the thousands and beyond, is, according to you, related to the mechanics and is critical to you enjoyment of the game..........

I'm just trying to figure out why you associate these incredibly high numbers with joy.........why have you made this connection, and why is the connection so strong in your mind....

I don't know how you can quote that and get that paraphrasing.

The specific number p800 is not important to me. That number changing over 4 years is not important to me. Whatever that specific metric it is at now is not important to me.

However, the new mechanics and additions to the game over 4 years that have influenced that metric are important. For example, the cube is fun. I wouldn't trade in the game play of the cube just to appease your sense of what are "reasonable" paragon levels.

No one cares about any specific numbers but you. I am talking about the experience playing the game. I am having more fun with the game compared to D3v. The difference in numbers is a side effect of those changes, not the goal of those changes.
I wasn't aware that I had to play the game from May 2012 until the end of time to have an opinion on the past trajectory of the game. Maybe, now this is a big maybe, but maybe a person's experience with this topic we are discussing drove them to console where they aren't forced to download power creep patches.
10/30/2018 06:09 AMPosted by Mercury

However, the new mechanics and additions to the game over 4 years that have influenced that metric are important. For example, the cube is fun. I wouldn't trade in the game play of the cube just to appease your sense of what are "reasonable" paragon levels.

No one cares about any specific numbers but you. I am talking about the experience playing the game. I am having more fun with the game compared to D3v. The difference in numbers is a side effect of those changes, not the goal of those changes.
Do you really think the cube is the reason for P2000? Or augments and legendary gems? That's not even the prime reason(s) we ended up here.
10/30/2018 06:17 AMPosted by UngivenFame
Do you really think the cube is the reason for P2000? Or augments and legendary gems? That's not even the prime reason(s) we ended up here.

Do you really think that's what the use of one example implies?
No more big number please...
10/30/2018 06:21 AMPosted by Mercury
10/30/2018 06:17 AMPosted by UngivenFame

Do you really think that's what the use of one example implies?
I don't like to assume things.
10/30/2018 12:53 AMPosted by LazyNCrazy
Does my opinion count?

Sure. No one has said otherwise. It counts more than the players that don't actually play the game at all. That's for sure.

Everything Archael and most people who are not Mercury says is true. The absurd amount of difficulties and vast range of damage is a major flaw.

What your position does not give you is the ability to declare XYZ is true just because you have said so. I've presented reasoning and theory beyond my assertions. You and the Dorkael have only said "No, trust me because I'm the best!" You've presented only assertions. You've presented exactly zero arguments.

If you're too blind to see it that's your problem, but at least stop trying to convince everyone that it's fine.

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I am relaying the facts and theory as I see it. I would hope you'd be up to the challenge of countering them with argument. It's telling that you don't have an argument beyond "You're wrong, shut up."

And no one asked you to join this conversation. If you don't want to contribute, feel free not to.
10/29/2018 09:11 PMPosted by LocknLoad
I don't watch numbers on the screen and judge the
game on that.
Instead I look at how the combat flows and if it is enjoyable.
I think it is enjoyable, and it had little to do with numbers.
Take D2 for example, many praise the game, but the combat
was bad,and smaller numbers didn't make it better.
While D3 could of gone different ways on some things,
the numbers to me, mean little.
I leave them off, and can't tell if I am doing trillions of
damage or under 100, it's all relative.
While we all have preferences, low or high numbers,
don't change the feel, or how a game is played.

The preference for larger or smaller numbers is not what is being drawn into debate here. The D2 devs did not state, "we have to keep the numbers small so that combat is fun", because that thought is, at face value, as you accurately describe, nonsense....

But Mercury is stating exactly that; that the large numbers lead to and permit the "mechanics" he enjoys.....

He is doing the exact thing that you and I both clearly mock, simply in the other direction, suggesting that an adherence to an astronomically large number range, and not a smaller one, leads to or equals something good or enjoyable. And even worse he's doing it in the same direction as the devs. Heaping more and more billions on top of the already existing ones..... and then heaping on more and more praise for the power gains

It's like fanning a fire to blow it out....

He's not smart enough to comprehend that it requires open discussion about fire to allow the creation of a stove, which is what the OP was going for....
instead wants to rant and rave like a loony about how according to his hundreds of scientific analysis theories, hotter fires produce more heat because he is getting warmer and warmer as the town is engulfed in flames.....

It's all intelligence --- no wisdom

So large numbers matter, because when they are heaped on in the millions or billions or gazillions they are jarring evidence of this brand of ignorance and ineptitude.

The idea that D3 could have gone different ways on some things as you suggest and also now just heaps on the billions, are very very much related, because it was the same type of minds that created, and now support and enjoy this blatant idiocy.

Look at hearthstone for example; They can drop a card in the game with an attack value of 3.

3!

And the reaction is at times months of debate and discussion and discovery....

meanwhile D3 creates a weapon with the community, that does oh hell i don't know.... 800,000 damage?

it takes weeks or months to create, and it's instantly and perpetually fired straight into the trash due to its adorable lack of power.

And to argue that D3 is more fun because next year players will experience the joy of doing TEN TRILLION DAMAGE!!! for whatever reason.......it's......
......God....It's beyond description. its really sad, how far this piece of crap game has fallen.....

its sad. Arguably the most beautiful seamless character control ever forged in an video game, paired with a rule-set scribbled out by a 10 year old boy plastering zeros all over everything........