Is D2 worth investing in?

General Discussion
What are there seasons like? Ik the fan base is still kicking, just curious if it’s worth buying >.>
NO!!! Right now is the time to abandon ALL Blizzard Games and let them feel the disappointment.

And maybe there's a D2 remaster in the coming years, I'd expect to hear about it after WC3:Reforged is released.
Yes, there are more players on D2 then D3. D3 was a massive failure and so is Diablo Immortal. Unfortunately if you want to experience a true Diablo game you'll have to go back to D1 or D2.
11/06/2018 11:49 AMPosted by KiWeN
NO!!! Right now is the time to abandon ALL Blizzard Games and let them feel the disappointment.

And maybe there's a D2 remaster in the coming years, I'd expect to hear about it after WC3:Reforged is released.

Torrent

Blizzard North is not the same as Blizzard Activision currently. But I understand wanting to boycott but you can get d2 for free easily and its worth playing.
Yes, there are more players on D2 then D3. D3 was a massive failure...

This is pretty much the opposite of true, but whatever.
im farming chaos sanctuary right now :)
Is there any place that i can buy a physical copy of D1 and D2? And that ships to other countries?
11/06/2018 11:41 AMPosted by ughash
What are there seasons like? Ik the fan base is still kicking, just curious if it’s worth buying >.>

Idk if you have ever played D2 online but it is filled with spam bots right now. They are easy to avoid by just making a private game but just a warning.

D2 is definitely worth playing right now as long as the dated graphics dont bother you. Plenty of people still play every season (the seasons in D3 was originally a D2 feature so they are setup the same).

11/06/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Theologist
Is there any place that i can buy a physical copy of D1 and D2? And that ships to other countries?

A brand new physical copy is going to cost you quite a bit. You can buy a digital copy of D2 online though.
11/06/2018 11:41 AMPosted by ughash

I don't find d2 bnet enjoyable. If you start over then it will feel overwhelming to play without spending $5 on d2jsp or something because most people skip the content rather than play it. The ladder may be fun initially, but is probably ruined very quickly after a month i would think. Additionally, lets say you play for a month and get some nice stuff.... well whats the point of farming with your cool gear? you have to spend a ridiculous amount of time to find anything considered valuable by this botting community.. it ruins the whole experience imo....

if you just want to level different chars casually, then sure its worth it.... but in my experience, I get hella rich in the game by farming/trading/gettingFreebies and then i try to farm end game and its feels like a waste of time because I will never find anything even worth an ist because the bots have ruined the economy/game.

There are some very nice mods , not sure I can mention them here. One for instance though has the loot set to /players8 always so the ladders are really fun because you can just play the game to get stuff and its rewarding playing the game this way vs bnet where bots make farming anything pointless(just spend $5 and save urself 2 months of play time etc - you could do this btw, diablo 2 is fun in so many ways and just being well geared and feeling powerful is one of them)
The bots arent changing your drop rates.
11/06/2018 02:11 PMPosted by NightKnight
The bots arent changing your drop rates.

The economy is based on the rate at which bots find valuable items... this effects the time it takes to find something, on average, that is worth something. The bots do affect what is considered a good item when an item drops. Bots cause average to be VERY HIGH, whats the point of playing when the average level of item you seek takes 10-20-30x as long compared to if bots didnt exist/ didn't compete with you.

/e its really not complicated... I've played d2 for months on end, accumulated 60 hrs and then given it all away because there was no point in playing my perfectly geared MF sorc... or my perfectly geared barb because i get 0 exp and 0 interesting items unless i play 8 hours straight where i might find one crumb.

/e2 this doesnt mean you can't ignore the community/economy and just play normally though. If you are able to do this then kudos to you.
11/06/2018 02:14 PMPosted by bmwiley
The economy is based on the rate at which bots find valuable items... this effects the time it takes to find something, on average, that is worth something. The bots do affect what is considered a good item when an item drops. Bots cause average to be VERY HIGH, whats the point of playing when the average level of item you seek takes 10-20-30x as long compared to if bots didnt exist/ didn't compete with you.

If Blizzard would ban the botters it wouldnt be a problem. We all know they can, they do it on D3 all the time

..but it comes down to them giving a !@#$ enough to do it. Which they dont.
I'd go with D2 Median XL. A whole loads of fun!
11/06/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Sparrow

If Blizzard would ban the botters it wouldnt be a problem. We all know they can, they do it on D3 all the time

Coming from a D2 fan at its root.
Botting is on the lower tier of problems.
I don't mind bots running me Baal, I don't mind them creating an actual economy.
Godly items are still items you will never own.
Go play Diablo 2 - avoid meta/baalrun/hdin/lightsorc builds. its the lame way to play the game.

play anything else in diablo 2 - and you'll see in notepad compared to Diablo 3...the design choices Diablo 2 made are way, way, way better than Diablo 3.

that's why there are so many more diablo 2 fans than diablo 3 fans...just not on these forums pre blizzcon.
11/06/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Sparrow

Yes well I am still hopeful for a few reasons. I'm hopeful because they spoke about remastering D2 and WC3(I can't seem to catch the guys name who leads the classics department revivals) and we now see WC3 remastered where they have actually redone parts of the game right? This is what D2 needs, D2 cant be remade without remaking a lot of it. D2 remaster in 5 years might be too late.

Additionally, spambots seem to be completely gone in d2 bnet atm. We need more of this so people can enjoy the game without being pushed away by botting among other things.
11/06/2018 11:54 AMPosted by Samsquanch

Torrent
This
If I may suggest a class and a build to you... Try the Amazon and go for a Javelin build.
Of course, the best starter class in Diablo 2 would be the sorceress cold/fire hybrid meteor + frozen orb. You'll do good damage and can have a lot of MF while still being able to clear most important MF areas
(If you become rich, try the Bowazon)

Don't be surprise if you find D2 to be more challengin than Diablo 3 at first, you should expect that.
If this really is your first foray into D2 all I have to say is man you missed out.