Brevik: Activision are taking over!

General Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79yGCCZ89fs

IMO Blizzard games already hit rock bottom. According to Mark Kern, Blizzard have been extremely independent until now. I don't see Activision as responsible for the current state of Blizzard games.

Please, share your takes.
My take is that Brevik was under the influence of some substance(s) in this video. Without knowing what's actually happening in the company, we can only speculate. So one person's interpretation of "Activision taking over" could be another person's interpretation of Blizzard talent moving on, as talent does, and being replaced. See also, new hiring for "unannounced project." Some sinister activity? Who knows, but probably not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkbjQDrZNcA
Blizz should put Brevik into Morhaime position.
10/09/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Lobsterbash
My take is that Brevik was under the influence of some substance(s) in this video. Without knowing what's actually happening in the company, we can only speculate. So one person's interpretation of "Activision taking over" could be another person's interpretation of Blizzard talent moving on, as talent does, and being replaced. See also, new hiring for "unannounced project." Some sinister activity? Who knows, but probably not.

I think one reason why people take claims like these made by Brevik so close to heart is the current state of Blizzard/Activision IPs and the shuffling of upper management which doesn't help alleviate consumers unrest.

Destiny 2, WoW:BFA, and Diablo 3 have very divided communities which help fuel the perceived "doom and gloom" atmosphere surrounding Blizzard. I can't speak for Overwatch, HoTS, or Hearthstone. I think those 3 are doing fine but I could be wrong.
10/09/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Vdizzle
I think one reason why people take claims like these made by Brevik so close to heart is the current state of Blizzard/Activision IPs and the shuffling of upper management which doesn't help alleviate consumers unrest.

Destiny 2, WoW:BFA, and Diablo 3 have very divided communities which help fuel the perceived "doom and gloom" atmosphere surrounding Blizzard. I can't speak for Overwatch, HoTS, or Hearthstone. I think those 3 are doing fine but I could be wrong.

Sure, I can see that. It's difficult to maintain the authenticity of multiple projects that are fundamentally, creatively distinct.

I hate to be a fatalist about this, but it warrants acknowledgement that Blizzard is arguably slowly becoming yet another generic AAA developer as it continues to grow, shedding the last vestiges of small studio inspiration and genius. This is kind of the general life cycle for game development companies that enjoy success.
10/09/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Lobsterbash
Blizzard is arguably slowly becoming yet another generic AAA developer as it continues to grow

'Arguably slowly'?
You are too kind.
Things change over time, companies included. If things change too much in a way we don't agree with, the most direct thing we can do is simply start supporting one we do like.

I am hoping these recent management changes will lead to good developments in D3 and WoW.
10/09/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Zeddicuus
Things change over time, companies included. If things change too much in a way we don't agree with, the most direct thing we can do is simply start supporting one we do like.

This is why there are certain games I don't play anymore, which is completely fine. It always sucks when a beloved game or franchise doesn't go the way we like it but for every decision made that I don't agree with, there are thousands of other players who more than likely do. You can't blame a company for wanting to make money, especially one the size of ActiBlizz.
Activision isn't the cause of the ones that have left or switched to advisory roles. The gloom and doom can stop now.

10/09/2018 07:02 AMPosted by PowerCosmic

Brevik is too busy with Graybeard Games that has just made It Lurks Below. Where Brevik made the game all by himself. Beside even if Brevik was in the lead role he wouldn't likely make D4 into a prettier D2 clone.

Further it is highly unlikely that Brevik would walk into a leadership role. Since he left a leadership role as head CEO of Gazillion to go back to what he loves to do is making games.

10/09/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Zeddicuus

I am hoping these recent management changes will lead to good developments in D3 and WoW.

I am hoping that the management changes is a plus for all of Blizz's games instead of just WoW and the Diablo franchise. Even though I only play D3, I still would like for all games to be successful.
It started when Activision bought Blizzard. Blizzard is (well, was) a developer centered around creating great games. Activision is a publisher centered around generating lots of profit. And while the two motives are not fundamentally incompatible, the unfortunately reality is that one motive (profit) invariably consumes the other, resulting in an inescapable downward spiral of product and service quality.

It's the same road that every major developer and publisher ultimately travels into self-destruction. They put profit over product, and eventually the well dries up, because they've so abused the customers that are the source of all that profit they covet. Which is why they move from developer to developer, IP to IP, like vultures (hence the term vulture capitalists), sucking the life and any marketable value out of the names and products they buy up and run into the ground. Blizzard will just be the next casualty in that never-ending cycle. If the developer doesn't eventually get shuttered entirely, it will become an empty name, a husk of the company it once was. Much like Activision or Electronic Arts -- they're just empty names, husks of the companies they once were.
10/09/2018 11:20 AMPosted by LostSoul
It started when Activision bought Blizzard. Blizzard is (well, was) a developer centered around creating great games. Activision is a publisher centered around generating lots of profit. And while the two motives are not fundamentally incompatible, the unfortunately reality is that one motive (profit) invariably consumes the other, resulting in an inescapable downward spiral of product and service quality.

It's the same road that every major developer and publisher ultimately travels into self-destruction. They put profit over product, and eventually the well dries up, because they've so abused the customers that are the source of all that profit they covet. Which is why they move from developer to developer, IP to IP, like vultures (hence the term vulture capitalists), sucking the life and any marketable value out of the names and products they buy up and run into the ground. Blizzard will just be the next casualty in that never-ending cycle. If the developer doesn't eventually get shuttered entirely, it will become an empty name, a husk of the company it once was. Much like Activision or Electronic Arts -- they're just empty names, husks of the companies they once were.
I like this post, so true.
10/09/2018 11:20 AMPosted by LostSoul

You do know that the danger of solely thinking of profits only is that the games produced might not be good enough to generate the profits needed. Which in turn would kill future sales of whatever franchise or entirely new franchise they could come up with.

It is almost likely saying Activision is making games with the idea of having a game with very little to no fun but it will still make a killing in profits. I would love to see investors that would back such an idea. A game has have enough fun in it for players to buy it along with play it. If it is part of a new franchise or existing one then the fun factor is even more important because without it you kill the franchise. A non franchise game would die very quickly lacking fun.
I don't know the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes at Blizzard. But I firmly believe that the developers were pressured by Activision to release the final product to hit quarterly estimates. And I do think this is a huge reason for the failures of D3 especially early on.
Diablo 4 will probably have cash crates, like every other new game out there.
10/09/2018 07:02 AMPosted by PowerCosmic

Beside even if Brevik was in the lead role he wouldn't likely make D4 into a prettier D2 clone.
Which is what no one is asking for. Some people would like a D2 remastered. But no one wants a D4 which is a D2 remastered.

10/09/2018 02:29 PMPosted by AshyLarry
I don't know the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes at Blizzard. But I firmly believe that the developers were pressured by Activision to release the final product to hit quarterly estimates. And I do think this is a huge reason for the failures of D3 especially early on.
I agree completely. D3 had sooo much going for it in the early development phases. Three tiered skill trees which turned into the early rune system. Stat system that was more forgiving than other ARPGs (even though I like the idea of stat requirements- its painful to find a legendary that you would love to use but didn't know about and you don't have the stat requirements). Unique skill system ala imbuing zombie dogs with the plague. Good combat mechanics requiring tactics to overcome which have been undermined by insane dps/defense mechanisms. unique events (like the cursed chest before cursed chests/shrines were later added).
Blizzard is going to the dumpster.

The financial success of WOW just caught the attention of bad greedy people and sealed the fate of a once great company.

Blizzard North and many other key-people like Pardo, Metzen and now Morhaime have all been pushed out behind the curtain.

Activision is pure cancer, and Blizzard as we knew it, has been dying a painful death for a long time.

The "Blizzard" brand along with the franchise names Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo will be kicking around for a long time, but they will not be anything like we once knew.

As for David Brevik, he has been playing poker that night and was drunk from drinking beer lol. That's why he said what he said unfiltered, which doesn't make it not true.
Well said, @TOPCommander
10/09/2018 03:16 PMPosted by TOPCommander
Blizzard is going to the dumpster.

The financial success of WOW just caught the attention of bad greedy people and sealed the fate of a once great company.

Blizzard North and many other key-people like Pardo, Metzen and now Morhaime have all been pushed out behind the curtain.

Activision is pure cancer, and Blizzard as we knew it, has been dying a painful death for a long time.

The "Blizzard" brand along with the franchise names Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo will be kicking around for a long time, but they will not be anything like we once knew.

As for David Brevik, he has been playing poker that night and was drunk from drinking beer lol. That's why he said what he said unfiltered, which doesn't make it not true.

A few things, first off, Pardo, metzen and morhaime have not given a reason besides spending more time with the family and such. I don't think they where pushed out. Think of it this way, would you spend 25+ years on a job that must have been highly requiring? Would you be able to stay inspired through all that time? I think they left on good terms, and atleast they can stay on as consultants without endangering their familylife.

Second, even if what brevik said was "off the record", he doesn't have full insight into Blizzard anymore. If anyone has been pushed out it might have been him. He can't mention everything because of non-disclosure agreements, but believing that he has full access to blizz hq is ridiculous.

As mentioned above, Activision is about making money, but you can't make money on a long term scale if your flagship product is crap, you need the product to make people stay invested into it, to make them spend money in the future. The ceo might have changed, but that doesn't make the rest of Blizzard do a 180°and change everything. They are still dedicated to keep providing, cause why? Cause they want to make money.

Don't shout doom and gloom all over, not much has changed from their side for these last couple of years. I mean same can be said about tencent buying ggg, we haven't seen any change yet, but they are in the same situation as Blizzard at this moment. Only time will tell if they change.
10/09/2018 02:29 PMPosted by AshyLarry

Diablo 3 took 6 years in development. The game was late and it was bad. Spending more time on a game doesn't necessarily make it good, apparently.