Brevik: Activision are taking over!

General Discussion
10/09/2018 04:31 PMPosted by Krine
10/09/2018 02:29 PMPosted by AshyLarry
I don't know the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes at Blizzard. But I firmly believe that the developers were pressured by Activision to release the final product to hit quarterly estimates. And I do think this is a huge reason for the failures of D3 especially early on.

Diablo 3 took 6 years in development. The game was late and it was bad. Spending more time on a game doesn't necessarily make it good, apparently.

I see what you're saying, but there's a difference between a game that just isn't fun, and no matter what you do it'll never be fun, and a game that is clearly incomplete. Diablo 3 released incomplete and broken. There were some good things in it from the get go (the smooth combat) but they had clearly cut corners in order to slap the final product together.
Why is Brevik so bitter? I mean how many global hit games outside of Diablo has he made? He's acting like he's the endgame of developers.

Get a life, Spetunia.
10/09/2018 04:57 PMPosted by WittyGem
Why is Brevik so bitter? I mean how many global hit games outside of Diablo has he made? He's acting like he's the endgame of developers.

Get a life, Spetunia.

I would trust Brevik more than the D3 team to make D4. I would have also trusted Brevik more than the D3 team to make D3.

Beside even if Brevik was in the lead role he wouldn't likely make D4 into a prettier D2 clone.
Which is what no one is asking for. Some people would like a D2 remastered. But no one wants a D4 which is a D2 remastered.

10/09/2018 02:29 PMPosted by AshyLarry
I don't know the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes at Blizzard. But I firmly believe that the developers were pressured by Activision to release the final product to hit quarterly estimates. And I do think this is a huge reason for the failures of D3 especially early on.
I agree completely. D3 had sooo much going for it in the early development phases. Three tiered skill trees which turned into the early rune system. Stat system that was more forgiving than other ARPGs (even though I like the idea of stat requirements- its painful to find a legendary that you would love to use but didn't know about and you don't have the stat requirements). Unique skill system ala imbuing zombie dogs with the plague. Good combat mechanics requiring tactics to overcome which have been undermined by insane dps/defense mechanisms. unique events (like the cursed chest before cursed chests/shrines were later added).

Most of us want a D4 that captures the QoL and combat system from D3, and the atmosphere/MUSIC/itemization/customization from D2. I don't think that's asking for too much.

I remember seeing an early version of the D3 Barbarian skill trees... 2 of the trees were called Juggernaut and Berserker. Then they had to suck the soul out of the game.
10/09/2018 01:52 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
You do know that the danger of solely thinking of profits only is that the games produced might not be good enough to generate the profits needed. Which in turn would kill future sales of whatever franchise or entirely new franchise they could come up with.

And that is exactly what ends up happening. The meddling of profit-driven executives reduce the quality of the games being sold. The game under-performs, so those same executives meddle some more in an effort to 'increase profits.' The next games under-performs even more, so executives keep meddling, repeating until the IP isn't worth further investment, and it goes onto the pile of IP carcasses they've flayed to the bone. If they don't have any more 'sure-thing' IPs to start feasting on next, they move on to finding the next 'up and coming' studio to 'buy' and fatten up for the slaughter.

This exact same cycle has played out across the industry countless times before. Blizzard will be no different.
The worst part on lostsoul's post is having seen it happen to the likes of bullfrog, westwood, black isles...

Hate to see it happen to blizzard, but it is in the realm of possibilities. Greed hath no bounds.
10/09/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Krine

Get a life, Spetunia.

I would trust Brevik more than the D3 team to make D4. I would have also trusted Brevik more than the D3 team to make D3.

So you would've rather had endless individual boss runs, progress gated behind difficulty - as in having to complete the campaign 3 times before you can get really started, and being liable to harassment by PK trolls & griefers with hacked gear any time you wanted to play with anyone else. And that's just 3 shortcomings off the top of my head within 5 seconds of thinking about it.

Yeah D2 really was perfect.

And before you accuse me of being a Blizzard D3 fanboi, I'm plenty vocal against D3 as well. I'm just able to take a step back and look at things objectively. I'm not wearing D2-tinted glasses like most of D3-haters.
10/09/2018 05:19 PMPosted by Krine
...Which is what no one is asking for. Some people would like a D2 remastered. But no one wants a D4 which is a D2 remastered.

...I agree completely. D3 had sooo much going for it in the early development phases. Three tiered skill trees which turned into the early rune system. Stat system that was more forgiving than other ARPGs (even though I like the idea of stat requirements- its painful to find a legendary that you would love to use but didn't know about and you don't have the stat requirements). Unique skill system ala imbuing zombie dogs with the plague. Good combat mechanics requiring tactics to overcome which have been undermined by insane dps/defense mechanisms. unique events (like the cursed chest before cursed chests/shrines were later added).

Most of us want a D4 that captures the QoL and combat system from D3, and the atmosphere/MUSIC/itemization/customization from D2. I don't think that's asking for too much.

I remember seeing an early version of the D3 Barbarian skill trees... 2 of the trees were called Juggernaut and Berserker. Then they had to suck the soul out of the game.

Skill trees are only an illusion of choice. You'd just pump most of your points into a handful of skills and the rest into synergies after googling most viable builds. And pigeonholing yourself into using Enigma or another OP runeword.

D2 runewords = D3 sets.

Same crap, different skin.
10/09/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Lobsterbash
My take is that Brevik was under the influence of some substance(s) in this video. Without knowing what's actually happening in the company, we can only speculate. So one person's interpretation of "Activision taking over" could be another person's interpretation of Blizzard talent moving on, as talent does, and being replaced. See also, new hiring for "unannounced project." Some sinister activity? Who knows, but probably not.

Is it really speculation though?

Follow the bread crumbs Activision leaves behind, and look at the results of their games and communities along with them. Some pretty toxic stuff!
10/09/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Zeddicuus
Things change over time, companies included. If things change too much in a way we don't agree with, the most direct thing we can do is simply start supporting one we do like.

I am hoping these recent management changes will lead to good developments in D3 and WoW.

I am with you there, I think we all want the future of Blizzard to be great.

But with Activision attached too it, I think it is impossible to be anything less than skeptical!
10/09/2018 04:57 PMPosted by AshyLarry
10/09/2018 04:31 PMPosted by Krine

Diablo 3 took 6 years in development. The game was late and it was bad. Spending more time on a game doesn't necessarily make it good, apparently.

I see what you're saying, but there's a difference between a game that just isn't fun, and no matter what you do it'll never be fun, and a game that is clearly incomplete. Diablo 3 released incomplete and broken. There were some good things in it from the get go (the smooth combat) but they had clearly cut corners in order to slap the final product together.

We all know the true story of why this happened, some do not want to admit it, some act like it never happened as to build a wall to prevent the same expectations with D4.

Bottom line for me, as a company, I feel Blizzard learned from their mistakes of pulling the crews around to often which has led to an inconsistent product across the board.
10/09/2018 06:16 PMPosted by WittyGem

So you would've rather had endless individual boss runs, progress gated behind difficulty - as in having to complete the campaign 3 times before you can get really started, and being liable to harassment by PK trolls & griefers with hacked gear any time you wanted to play with anyone else. And that's just 3 shortcomings off the top of my head within 5 seconds of thinking about it.

And before you accuse me of being a Blizzard D3 fanboi, I'm plenty vocal against D3 as well. I'm just able to take a step back and look at things objectively. I'm not wearing D2-tinted glasses like most of D3-haters.

D2 is over 17 years old. Of course it would have some shortcomings that everyone expect would be changed after 17 years of progression. You're really reaching here.

D2 is over 17 years old. Of course it would have some shortcomings that everyone expect would be changed after 17 years of progression. You're really reaching here.

No I'm not.

Brevik still thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread and that everything D2 has would still work today.

And do I need to remind you that D3 had the endgame gated behind difficulties in the very beginning too?

The only part on which I can agree with you is that hacks and bots really hurt the experience in Diablo 2 and Blizzard should do a lot more about it.

If you ever get bored of bossruns in D2 there are plenty of other options:
Clearing TC 85 maps, keyruns, getting Hellfire Torches from Uber Tristram, boosting other people for a small buck, going for Goldruns in Travincal and of course trading the stuff that you don't need for something useful.

PKers are also incredibly easy to deal with by 3 simple meassures:
1. Always put a level requirement on your game to avoid higher level players
2. If you are a coward: Make your game privat
3. If you like to have fun: Make a public game anyways and gang up on them with your teammates if the rare occasion of a PKer should happen

There is nothing more hillarious than a Baalrun suddenly turning into an all out war for 5-10 minutes until things are settled - one or the other way - and everyone goes back to buisness as usuall. Of course not without cutting off each others ears, stealing other players gold to gamble it away at Gheed and cursing each other with demonic tongues ;P

€:
10/09/2018 07:52 PMPosted by WittyGem
And do I need to remind you that D3 had the endgame gated behind difficulties in the very beginning too?

I don't really get whats so bad about playing through the campaign of a Diablo game?
It is actually the most atmospheric part of the game and one reason why I like Ladder Resets so much. It is easier to find people to play with from start to finnish of the game and many people are even willing to take the time to do quests which aren't necessary to get to the next chapter.

There would actually be no need for a story at all if no one wanted to play the campaign.
Which is what no one is asking for. Some people would like a D2 remastered. But no one wants a D4 which is a D2 remastered.

A minority of the player base no doubt wanted this game to be just that. Also those same players no doubt would love that to happen for D4. I know that is the case because of the evidence that is there on the forums. Case in point, Blizz wouldn't have said we didn't make that game nor are we gonna make that game if no one, yes absolutely no one wanted that.

10/09/2018 03:16 PMPosted by TOPCommander
Blizzard is going to the dumpster.

The financial success of WOW just caught the attention of bad greedy people and sealed the fate of a once great company.

Blizzard North and many other key-people like Pardo, Metzen and now Morhaime have all been pushed out behind the curtain.

Activision is pure cancer, and Blizzard as we knew it, has been dying a painful death for a long time.

The "Blizzard" brand along with the franchise names Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo will be kicking around for a long time, but they will not be anything like we once knew.

As for David Brevik, he has been playing poker that night and was drunk from drinking beer lol. That's why he said what he said unfiltered, which doesn't make it not true.

I disagree that the financial success of any game that a company makes is a guaranteed downward spiral into oblivion. That would mean that game companies would have to make sure that their games are not a smashing financial success. Where they would plan the games that they make to barely break even. Where the profits if any would be very, very small indeed, like a few cents on the dollar.

I don't think that those three were pushed out. I do believe that in time after doing a job for 25+ years you can decide to step away to have more time with your family if you want to. I think that Brevik and you are reading too much into the changes at Blizz to fit some crazy conspiracy theory that doesn't exist.

I agree that the older franchises will change as they should. They shouldn't be shackled to the past. Where there are no changes or improvements in those games. Changing to improve the franchises so that they can move forward will be a good thing instead of being shackled to the past where they try to be copy and paste of previous titles.

Just because Brevik is the father of Diablo doesn't mean that he has special insight into all of what goes on at Blizz HQ. He doesn't work for them anymore nor does he attend meetings at Blizz HQ. So he is not in the loop as far as what goes on at Blizz HQ. That was just his opinion like many others that have opinions on what the changes in leadership means for Blizz.

Get a life, Spetunia.

You might not like Brevik's version of D3 or D4 if he would be allowed to make either game. It might not be want you would expect from him.

10/09/2018 05:19 PMPosted by Krine

I would love to see the improvements of the best of D3 and the best of D2. The two things that some might not agree with me on is the following.

If PvP is part of D4 which I think it should be then there should be two types of PvP. 1.) Arena Team Death Match that was suppose to be what this game's PvP would've been if the game was designed better. 2.) Brawling, I love the idea of a free-for-all PvP system where anything can and will happen.

I would love to see improvements on adventure mode. Give us a reason to go out and explore the world of Sanctuary. Which would give us something else to do when we get tired of farming x for the umpteenth time (till you are bored).

I think that each skill should have its own skill tree. That way you can specialize in a skill by doing more than just increasing damage, surviability or other stats.

I am wanting an attribute system where the optimal point spending would be based on your spec and what you want to do with your chosen spec.
10/09/2018 06:33 PMPosted by WittyGem
Skill trees are only an illusion of choice. You'd just pump most of your points into a handful of skills and the rest into synergies after googling most viable builds.

It's an "illusion of choice" because you are not smart enough to see skill trees for what they actually are.

D3 gets 15+ years, and untold millions of dollars to try and improve things, and instead of:
"pumping up points" for the most damage
we are:
"puttin on sets" for the same....

And this is AFTER several years and a whole expansion was bolted on to D3....
just think of the time and the money and effort and attention was devoted to D3....

And we get a luke warm half baked bowl of the same trash....
Why do you suppose that is the case?
10/09/2018 10:04 PMPosted by Shurgosa
10/09/2018 06:33 PMPosted by WittyGem
Skill trees are only an illusion of choice. You'd just pump most of your points into a handful of skills and the rest into synergies after googling most viable builds.

It's an "illusion of choice" because you are not smart enough to see skill trees for what they actually are.

Couldn't care less why the case is, since it won't change anytime soon.

As for the skill trees, you don't know what they actually are either, otherwise you would've jumped at the chance to enlighten us.

So when it comes to referring to people's intelligence......please stop projecting.

:)

You should really look through the threads that discuss these thing and see how many are saying we want D4 to be more like D2
10/09/2018 04:57 PMPosted by AshyLarry
I see what you're saying, but there's a difference between a game that just isn't fun, and no matter what you do it'll never be fun, and a game that is clearly incomplete.

But your opinion means nothing as far as I'm concerned the game is fun and has too much cr@p in it so we cancel each other out.
Just because YOU think the game isn't fun makes it true only for you and not everybody thinks like you and automatically have to hate a game just because you do