Set Dungeons... ARE AWFUL!

General Discussion
Aside from the fact that they give absolutely nothing_for bashing your face against the keyboard, throwing your monitor, and verbally abusing everyone around you_they are insanely difficult to master! not because the dungeon, or its monsters are difficult, no.. but because the density, or the map is designed to not give you opportunity to complete the objectives!

Take Inna's for example. unleash your Mystics on a pack of 10 enemies.. FIVE TIMES! There is barely enough density in 3 parts of the tiny map to complete this! We are deliberately handicapping ourselves to reduce our dmg, as the mystics kill stuff before you can get 10 near one another (not to mention, that only 1 type of the 3 enemy types in the map can fit 10 of them within a 10yrd radius!). this particular map, gets completely cleared, and emptied with half the timer expired..

Same problem with Helltooth.. trying to get X amount of enemies into 1 spell cast is too difficult, not because its hard, but because the enemies arent provided! More less repeating it 5 times!

ive given up trying for these wings.. Even considering the bank space necessary to have all the sets (and still keep the ones I want to play with) I cant imagine attempting this multiple times, with each character, without being given the resources to complete the objectives..

My hats off to those of you who possess the skill, and patience to actually pull this off. I can only imagine what you went through!

TLDR: these are poorly designed, examples provided
It's not really a matter of skill, more about how much time you want to spend doing them.

They aren't really hard at all.
One of the goals so far can be complete with a simple amulet..the other, the one I mentioned, is frustrating.. not because Its hard to pull off based on player skill, but because the resources (mob density) is deliberately with held from the player..

As you said.. it doesnt seem to be based on player skill.. you dont think thats poor design?
Welcome to “Diablo” 3.
Of course it's poor design, set dungeons are useless after getting your achievement wings. They aren't hard though. They just take time.
Most of them aren't so much "hard" as "frustrating". Yes; that's a pedantic difference from the perspective of a casual player, but there it is. They are incredibly poorly designed by in large: I have a special hatred for the DH Marauder set dungeon in particular.
What are they ? Hard ?! LOL !

They got nerfed several times since release; they are easy as F now.

Really man; read some how to guides or watch some on YT; they arent hard anymore.
Set dungeons are more like puzzles, but they fail to make that clear.

And some can be completely cheesed even.

Then there's the necro dungeons, that are absolutely faceroll.
Each class has an easy dungeon. Just google it. Demon Hunters' is Natalya and you can google a guide to it too.
I don't like the set dungeons as well. Its mostly stupid and tedious to play. One of the reasons I do no not play more of the season journey as needed. If one want to play those dungeons for educational purposes to learn about the sets that's fine but I find it cumbersome to do those every season.
Still haven't finished the Witch Doctor Helltooth Dungeon. I struggled with it a bit and almost completed it once. But that is when I gave up and went back to Rifting.
11/13/2018 04:40 AMPosted by LucasShark
Most of them aren't so much "hard" as "frustrating". Yes; that's a pedantic difference from the perspective of a casual player, but there it is. They are incredibly poorly designed by in large: I have a special hatred for the DH Marauder set dungeon in particular.

Indeed. The big problem the design as you said, some dungeons have certain idiotic features and objectives by design. Like Wrath of the Wastes dungeon where one of the objectives is not to take physical damage. Seriously, not to take damage with a build where you're constantly at melee range taking damage while dealing it as well?

Then there are cases where you have to intentionally gimp yourself so that you're not too overpowered for the dungeon. Like Invoker dungeon, too much thorns and you may not get hit often enough by spear throwers as they die too quickly.

Not sure what's your issue with Marauder dungeon. Rockworms are annoying as hell but should be easy to dodge. They also spawn at fairly fixed locations, just memorize them. Other than that it's a fairly easy dungeon.
That's because they are designed to not give you too much mob density. That's why some of them are challenging. It's like some posts are "game too east", now "set dungeons too hard". Oof, you don't have to complete them at all. I wonder if they would give something more than cosmetics wings, would you be less furious or more furious because "it's necessery to them to get X and they are stupid and hard". BTW most of them are easy to medium, there are few that take some effort and tries :)
Most of the season journey steps are tasks you have to do anyways in the season like leveling gems, doing bounties and so on. Those set dungeons somehow feel alien to the seasonal stuff you usually would do. Not saying these are the only steps but they come to my mind first.
700k sheet DPS is the sweet spot for all dungeon masteries. If you go much above that you will kill everything too quickly and miss the reqs.

If your complaining not enough mobs I'd say that's your problem: too much damage.

That's said dungeons masteries were easy when they were released. Theyve been watered down multiple time since when.
Guides

https://www.diablofans.com/builds?filter-search=set%20dungeon&filter-author=brgprincess&filter-has-spell-2=-1&filter-build-tag=5&

Set Dungeon Mastery - Build Guides, Videos, Tips
.. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20419914129
Set Dungeons - Complete List of Locations w/Video Guide
.. https://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-general-forums/diablo-iii-general-discussion/139000-set-dungeons-complete-list-of-locations-w-video
Rathma s15
.. https://teambrg.com/diablo-3/bones-of-rathma-set-dungeon-build-mastery/
With the right gear and right approach, most are quite doable. There are good guides online including on YouTube. Don't give up, if I can do it, anyone can
11/13/2018 06:47 AMPosted by ETpagh
With the right gear and right approach, most are quite doable. There are good guides online including on YouTube. Don't give up, if I can do it, anyone can

Yes, indeed! But in my experience the two most important things to focus on with your set dungeon builds is cooldown and move speed skills/items
as someone who just spent the last 4 days completing all of them for the wings (the only ones I had done were the DH ones since that's my main class) I will say they are not hard. Once I actually I had the gear the most I took was 5 tries I think and it was one of the monk ones most of the time it was 2 tries. I followed the guides by this YTer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCE3tX_wa3C90T40sUgctjQ

the biggest complaint was blowing through most of my DBs to speed up crafting the gear.
I must agree on this. Set dungeons are boring and dull. You play same dungeon over and over until you finally master it.
They are not very difficult to master, but can be tricky, sometimes you have to change your spells, items even gameplay to complete it.
During seasons many of my friends just gave up because of set dungeon.
I don't like them either, but I mastered many of them during previous seasons. If set dungeon is too hard I just change my set and go for easier one.