First time in Diablo 3

General Discussion
People talk about Blizz not having a clue about Diablo experience... But most d3 players doesn't have it too.
One simple question...

What happens to the character in d2 when it dies ?
Farm mats, Run Rifts, Collect Sets, Run greater rifts for your gems - Have Fun that's all there is..
11/17/2018 03:11 PMPosted by ZETA

They end up in the Nexus
11/17/2018 09:35 AMPosted by stfd
11/17/2018 09:29 AMPosted by Midnight
It’s dead on campaign mode. 100%

Adventure mode which you can unlock is also dead unless you are at T6, T10, or T13 doing rifts.

Game is dead mostly. Bounties people don’t talk, rifts are mindless too.

That 'campaign' content is such a waste of dev time and resources... not sure why it even exists.
The game should have shipped with premade max level chars equipping sets and just have them ready to do the rifts over and over.
I mean why have the story, the acts, the locales. All that effort to produce it and is simply left to rot for so many years. If someone could articulate an answer it would be great.

It's obvious that what happened to D3 was they wanted to monetize the game A LOT more then they did, seeing as how impossible it is to get good gear in this game unless you run rifts over and over again. They probably were going to use the "auction house" and the terrible RNG on eq spawning in combination to what an eternal grind actually farming the rifts is as the gateway for people to buy premium gear.

Of course the community went nuts in those early days and the auction house was tossed and the RNG on EQ was fixed (mostly), but Blizzard never repaired the terrible drop rates for items in the normal campaign mode, so there was ZERO reason for anyone to play it over again; as the rifts were a much better way to get that gear (not that they're any good).

Seriously Blizzard broke D3; and anyone thinking a D4 would be any better needs their head examined. Activision only knows how to microtransation the heck out of a game, so any D4 will turn into a microtransaction nightmare.

FYI - to the OP, I'm pretty new to the game as well started playing it after the Blizzard-con disaster reminded me D3 was a thing, played D2 for years till I lost interest. Rather disappointed in D3 (though I knew what I was getting into thanks to following D3 from day 1). I'll play the campaign with you. My game battletag is azanimefan#1761. friend me, I'll join. I'm bored of grinding T4 crap solo in the rifts by myself as a P45. To my surprise I think I ended up stumbling into an OP wizard build/eq on my first try. Want to try some other build in open/campain mode.
Does nobody enjoy playing video games by himself anymore? I just don't get this whole thing where people refuse to play a game--especially one from a historically single-player franchise--unless they can find other strangers to play with it. Gamers used to be some of the most independent people around with single-player games being the norm, but now they can't even login unless they're grouped with others. /smh
11/17/2018 03:50 PMPosted by AsagiD304
11/17/2018 03:11 PMPosted by ZETA

They end up in the Nexus

no...
Public groups in D3 are done via the game menu when creating games. There are almost never groups for leveling though, except when Seasons just start. Most public games are going to be for max level players in high difficulties.

A way around this is to join a Community using your social tab in game. There are many to pick from and that may find you some friendly people to play with.

11/17/2018 02:27 PMPosted by MONK
Why, in your opinion PoE is better than d3 ? Isn't it the same - "Kill bosses for loot" ?

Not really. It is made for people who love super super complex skill trees without the ability to respec. The stash uses the old D2 items size limits so some things take up tons of space. Stash is limited until you spend money, real money, to unlock things. Graphics and combat are not as nice as D3.

That said, I have been trying it out the past couple days. It is sort of like D2 on steroids, but not as smooth and accessible as D3. If you like to min max though it is good for that. No idea how to do multi player in it though. I am a solo person so don't care.
11/17/2018 03:13 PMPosted by ZETA

You lose exp, all your gear and gold in your bag drops on the ground. You get to run back and hope you don' t get killed again getting your body. It was a bit of a PITA.
11/17/2018 04:55 PMPosted by MissCheetah
That said, I have been trying it out the past couple days. It is sort of like D2 on steroids, but not as smooth and accessible as D3. If you like to min max though it is good for that. No idea how to do multi player in it though. I am a solo person so don't care.

How far have you gotten? I got to the end of act 1 before I was a little bored. Diablo's combat flow has spoiled me.
11/17/2018 09:32 AMPosted by MONK
It’s dead on campaign mode. 100%

Adventure mode which you can unlock is also dead unless you are at T6, T10, or T13 doing rifts.

Game is dead mostly. Bounties people don’t talk, rifts are mindless too.

How's that possible that d2 is more alive than d3 ? Blizzard wtf ?

D2 has a great story, decent gameplay, trade, and pvp.
11/17/2018 02:27 PMPosted by MONK
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Many of us bought/played D3 due to our loyalty to Blizzard and D2, and a genuine belief that D3 and the franchise would improve with time. That loyalty carried me from the day of vanilla release up until around 6 months ago with some breaks in between. I decided to jump ship to POE around 6 months ago, and have been enjoying it a lot.

Why, in your opinion PoE is better than d3 ? Isn't it the same - "Kill bosses for loot" ?

Great question! To put it simply, there is much more depth to the game in almost all aspects. Namely the skill system, massive amount of end game content, a very large number of viable ways to play and farm and have success, strong dev interaction with the community, massive content updates every 3 months consistently, active and structured trading, free to play with cosmetic and quality of life microtransactions with no P2W, and the list just goes on.

Many folks main thing they dislike about PoE is the graphics and combat compared to Diablo 3, but honestly it is just different and takes some getting used to. The combat is more tailored to strategic and skill-driven playing (ie. Dodging stuff, entering a fight with a gameplan, swapping gear around for a specific encounter, or proper positioning) as opposed to D3's system which imo is much, much simpler and not quite as strategic.

I, personally, find the elements to be much more in line with older rpgs that I have always enjoyed the most like D2.
11/17/2018 04:57 PMPosted by MissCheetah

You lose exp, all your gear and gold in your bag drops on the ground. You get to run back and hope you don' t get killed again getting your body. It was a bit of a PITA.

Or you DONT try to run back to your body and instead just rejoin the game so that your corpse(with all gear intact) appears in town!

Great question! To put it simply, there is much more depth to the game in almost all aspects. Namely the skill system, massive amount of end game content, a very large number of viable ways to play and farm and have success, strong dev interaction with the community, massive content updates every 3 months consistently, active and structured trading, free to play with cosmetic and quality of life microtransactions with no P2W, and the list just goes on.

Many folks main thing they dislike about PoE is the graphics and combat compared to Diablo 3, but honestly it is just different and takes some getting used to. The combat is more tailored to strategic and skill-driven playing (ie. Dodging stuff, entering a fight with a gameplan, swapping gear around for a specific encounter, or proper positioning) as opposed to D3's system which imo is much, much simpler and not quite as strategic.

I, personally, find the elements to be much more in line with older rpgs that I have always enjoyed the most like D2.

I'm really struggling getting passed the combat. I WANT to like it. The story is very interesting. I absolutely love the dark atmosphere. The skill tree is intriguing.

You say there's a massive and amazing end game? What exactly does the end-game encompass? Give me some examples. I'm teetering on the edge of giving it a real go, but for lack of education on how the end-game actually is vs what I see in act 1, it's just... sigh.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I'm really struggling getting passed the combat. I WANT to like it. The story is very interesting. I absolutely love the dark atmosphere. The skill tree is intriguing.

You say there's a massive and amazing end game? What exactly does the end-game encompass? Give me some examples. I'm teetering on the edge of giving it a real go, but for lack of education on how the end-game actually is vs what I see in act 1, it's just... sigh.

That would really be tough to convey all of it through a forum post especially if you havent played through a good chunk of the game yet. I would suggest taking some time doing some digging on YouTube and you'll find some good info.. search for things like Atlas strategy, map farming, elder, shaper, atziri, delves, incursions, influence farming, currency farming, gambling, and crafting. To give some context 6 months in of steady grinding in 2 leagues and I am still discovering new stuff and am far from mastering most of it.

Two real useful channels to me while first getting going were ZiggyD and Grimro. There is a ton of info and guides out there to help point you in the right direction to get started and help you learn.
11/17/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Flyinshoe

That would really be tough to convey all of it through a forum post especially if you havent played through a good chunk of the game yet. I would suggest taking some time doing some digging on YouTube and you'll find some good info.. search for things like Atlas strategy, map farming, elder, shaper, atziri, delves, incursions, influence farming, currency farming, gambling, and crafting. To give some context 6 months in of steady grinding in 2 leagues and I am still discovering new stuff and am far from mastering most of it.

Two real useful channels to me while first getting going were ZiggyD and Grimro. There is a ton of info and guides out there to help point you in the right direction to get started and help you learn.

That's unfortunate. I guess I'll just have to power through it and see for myself then. One day I'll be bored enough to motivate myself to get though it. Thanks!
Here to help complain about how dead campaign mode is. I can't believe the awful direction this game has from release even until now. One of the only things they did right was the campaign and they made it completely unnecessary for leveling up or item hunting. At the very least we have bounties though but bosses are so worthless with their horrible drop rates.

Also the only problem with the auction house was that it was real money. If they would have just made bind on equip to help keep down the item inflation and created a barter house rather than needing currency it would have been fine and all the fans would get that awesome trading experience that we crave.
11/17/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Bowser
Here to help complain about how dead campaign mode is. I can't believe the awful direction this game has from release even until now. One of the only things they did right was the campaign and they made it completely unnecessary for leveling up or item hunting. At the very least we have bounties though but bosses are so worthless with their horrible drop rates.

Also the only problem with the auction house was that it was real money. If they would have just made bind on equip to help keep down the item inflation and created a barter house rather than needing currency it would have been fine and all the fans would get that awesome trading experience that we crave.

I actually don't even know why they scrapped it entirely. They could have easily made a system where you could use it for gold transactions or item-for-item trades. All they had to do was get rid of the real-money aspect of it.

Their solution to completely eradicate trade from the game was the most non-diablo thing they did with D3, and that's saying something!
Bounties people don’t talk,

Possible bots.

You get to run back and hope you don' t get killed again getting your body.

It's optional, when you "save&exit" your body will be recovered and will appear at town square. But upon doing so you pass the opportunity of recovering your lost experience points partially and lose your dropped gold amount on top of that. Experience loss thing only happens in Nightmare and Hell as I remember, there's no exp loss for Normal difficulty but your drop gold coins.

CORRECT .!!!!

That was one of the features that made players respect the game.
Present gamers don't want to lose nothing when they die. So they became numb playing.
If u sugest any type of hazard even small,to the players when his character dies ,it will appear the troll that says "go play hard core"

Forget it... people want d2 ...but don't want d2.
11/18/2018 01:17 AMPosted by ZETA
Present gamers

This makes you sound old, and perhaps not part of the demographic they are targeting.